VWVortex.com - Car randomly dies while driving on freeway
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 51 to 63 of 63

    Thread: Car randomly dies while driving on freeway

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2016
      Location
      Mechanicsville, VA
      Posts
      432
      Vehicles
      06 Suburban Z71, 03 Fleetwood Prowler. 99 MK3 Jetta 2.slow (R.I.P.), 01 Golf GLS
      06-05-2018 09:23 AM #51
      Have not had a chance to run OBDEleven or VagCom scan on it yet.

      Been working a pile of OT.

      Just pushed it out of the way and have been driving my truck... With a dead inspection and toasted ball joints. LOL
      Quote Originally Posted by gli87jetta View Post
      Have you ran VAG-COM? That would be the first place to start. Almost sounds like a wiring harness issue. My Jetta recently died when I was getting on the highway and I couldn't communicate with the ECU. Turned out my wiring harness got chaffed and a shop repaired the wiring instead of going with an entire new harness.

      Not sure if your issue would be speed sensor related but I would start with a scan for sure.
      Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-20-2019 08:37 AM #52
      Hey guys I was wondering if you found a fix to any or all the problems in this thread. I dont have a GTi or Jetta but my new beetle is doing pretty much everything
      that all of you are describing. I already have a thread on the new beetle forum but since we are all in the same problem maybe you guys can give me advice. I replaced
      the crankshaft sensor, and I am getting a new 409 relay today. I also ordered a new ignition switch to change tomorrow to see if that helps. My beetle is a 2.0L 4 speed trans.
      2001, any help will be greatly appreciated before I go to the stealership.

    4. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      7,845
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      09-20-2019 09:51 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by victorusmc View Post
      Hey guys I was wondering if you found a fix to any or all the problems in this thread. I dont have a GTi or Jetta but my new beetle is doing pretty much everything
      that all of you are describing. I already have a thread on the new beetle forum but since we are all in the same problem maybe you guys can give me advice. I replaced
      the crankshaft sensor, and I am getting a new 409 relay today. I also ordered a new ignition switch to change tomorrow to see if that helps. My beetle is a 2.0L 4 speed trans.
      2001, any help will be greatly appreciated before I go to the stealership.
      Have you done the fuel pump? Scanned for codes?

      Also, I found this thread from you as well: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-has-gone-mad!

      There you said it runs and drives fine. Sounds like you may have multiple things at play.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

    5. 09-21-2019 01:55 PM #54
      Have had this happen multiple times on my 2012 Jetta SE. Been to Volkswagen and Autozone to check my battery and alternator and both said it was fine. Volkswagen is no help at all they just said everything was good and then charged me $130 for a diagnostic when I told them this was happening to me.

      Anyways I saw a forum post on a different forum (jetta junkie I think?) that said the culprit was the power supply relay. I just had my relay replaced (under the dash) at a local shop last week. Hopefully it's the fix because it's very scary having this happen. Currently no issues but only time will tell, sometimes it's months between incidents where my car dies while driving. Hopefully this car can last me a few more years before I can sell it off or scrap it and get something else that won't try to kill me..

    6. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-22-2019 10:13 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by victorusmc View Post
      Hey guys I was wondering if you found a fix to any or all the problems in this thread. I dont have a GTi or Jetta but my new beetle is doing pretty much everything
      that all of you are describing. I already have a thread on the new beetle forum but since we are all in the same problem maybe you guys can give me advice. I replaced
      the crankshaft sensor, and I am getting a new 409 relay today. I also ordered a new ignition switch to change tomorrow to see if that helps. My beetle is a 2.0L 4 speed trans.
      2001, any help will be greatly appreciated before I go to the stealership.
      Have you done the fuel pump? Scanned for codes?

      Also, I found this thread from you as well: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-has-gone-mad!

      There you said it runs and drives fine. Sounds like you may have multiple things at play.
      Yes sir, the car runs perfect yesterday at 134 miles it hesitated again and I slammed the throttle for 5 seconds and it didnt shut off, I heard somebody here did it and it worked.

    7. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-22-2019 10:17 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by timfredo View Post
      Have had this happen multiple times on my 2012 Jetta SE. Been to Volkswagen and Autozone to check my battery and alternator and both said it was fine. Volkswagen is no help at all they just said everything was good and then charged me $130 for a diagnostic when I told them this was happening to me.

      Anyways I saw a forum post on a different forum (jetta junkie I think?) that said the culprit was the power supply relay. I just had my relay replaced (under the dash) at a local shop last week. Hopefully it's the fix because it's very scary having this happen. Currently no issues but only time will tell, sometimes it's months between incidents where my car dies while driving. Hopefully this car can last me a few more years before I can sell it off or scrap it and get something else that won't try to kill me..
      Is this the 409 relay? If it is I replaced it and I also replaced 428 the ecm relay still doing it, the car also dies when starting the fuel reserve and I dont know why, I just dont let the fuel get that low anymore, ive tried to be as specific as I can

    8. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      7,845
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      09-22-2019 12:40 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by victorusmc View Post
      Is this the 409 relay? If it is I replaced it and I also replaced 428 the ecm relay still doing it, the car also dies when starting the fuel reserve and I dont know why, I just dont let the fuel get that low anymore, ive tried to be as specific as I can
      You probably should start your own thread on the issue in the New Beetle section. Your only thread there is about your cluster. You may want to just update that thread with this information. Because there, you said its running and driving fine. Here though, you are saying that its not. There is a lot of info missing between the two.

      Also, fuel reserve? What do you mean by that?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

    9. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-22-2019 09:29 PM #58
      So I thought that the fuel reserve is the red area on the fuel gauge...so my empty for some reason is at the start of the red area. I understand that you read on my other thread that
      the car is running perfect and it is, until it shuts off on the highway. I live in Maryland, today I went to Baltimore I put 273 miles on the car today. The car was running perfect till it hit 134 miles from when I started driving, it started to hesitate I put my foot on the gas and after like five seconds of hesitation the car kept going. After that I went to my friends house and on my way back on the 204 mile the car started hesitating again, it started back firing and going down in gears it seemed like, until it died on the highway and I almost crashed. Then on the 243 mile the car did the same thing, the last 2 times that did it, the car wouldn't start right away after it died. It took like five minutes for the car to start again, but it cranked, it just didn't start. I need help because it has become an unreliable car.

      Thank you for your replies I just want to get to the bottom of this problem

    10. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      7,845
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      09-23-2019 09:01 AM #59
      As asked before, have you done the fuel filter? Checked the fuel pump? Could be the fuel pump is overheating and cutting fuel. But you will need to do some troubleshooting.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

    11. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-23-2019 06:26 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      As asked before, have you done the fuel filter? Checked the fuel pump? Could be the fuel pump is overheating and cutting fuel. But you will need to do some troubleshooting.
      Changed the fuel filter (very dirty) today with an OEM one and also changed the ignition switch, heard it has cause problems to some of the members. Gonna drive it and ill post later if it did it again.

      Fuel pump turns on with the key everytime, the 409 relay clicks everytime I put the key to start, even after it has shut down have not checked the fuel pressure, I checked the fuel pressure regulator and the diaphragm is not broken...tell me how to troubleshoot the fuel pump and I will do it. Also I have read that the throtle position sensor has to be calibrated, will that shut off the car sometimes?

      I was driving today and when it was going to die everytime I pressed the gas it will backfire loud pop. (Before changing the fuel filter)

    12. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-23-2019 07:40 PM #61
      Well just came back from a 10 mile drive, and it died 3 times...so filter and ignition switch didnt help...

    13. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      7,845
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      09-24-2019 09:01 AM #62
      I would either make a new thread in the New Beetle section, or add to your current thread there about this. This section doesn't move much.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

    14. Junior Member victorusmc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2019
      Location
      Frederick, Maryland
      Posts
      24
      Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle GLS 2.0L (AVH) 4 speed auto
      09-24-2019 09:04 AM #63
      ok, Thank you

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •