Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: This just in, Motorcyclist to get their very own

08-13-2010 02:21 PM #1
      roadblocks

Quote Originally Posted by CycleNews
      The following is a press release from the AMA

A federal traffic safety agency is offering law enforcement agencies hundreds of thousands of dollars to set up checkpoints that target only motorcyclists, and the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) wants to know why.

The AMA has asked the agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), to suspend the grant program until questions raised by the motorcycling community are addressed.

"How do motorcycle-only checkpoints increase the safety of motorcyclists?" Ed Moreland, AMA senior vice president for government relations, wrote in a letter to NHTSA Administrator David Strickland on Aug. 9. "Where do the selected states draw their authority to conduct" motorcycle-only safety checks?

"Will 'probable cause' be required to stop a motorcycle under the terms of this grant program?" Moreland asked. "If so, what will constitute probable cause?"

Under its Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration grant program, the NHTSA will award up to $350,000 in total to be divided among as many as five law enforcement agencies to set up traffic checkpoints that target motorcyclists.

The demonstration program is modeled after a controversial program in New York where the state police set up a series of checkpoints that targeted only motorcyclists, raising the ire of the AMA and motorcycling community. In 2008, for example, New York State Police announced plans to set up 15 checkpoints near motorcycling events that summer.

The AMA questioned the potential discriminatory and legal nature of the program and sent a list of questions for clarification to the New York State Police. To date, New York authorities have not responded.

Moreland said that if the NHTSA is truly interested in motorcyclist safety, it should fund proven programs that help prevent crashes -- rather than checkpoints that single out motorcyclists.

"The primary source of motorcycle safety is in motorcycle crash prevention, and NHTSA should focus on decreasing the likelihood of crashes from occurring in the first place," Moreland said.

The AMA urges all riders to contact Strickland and ask that the discriminatory Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration grant program be suspended until questions raised by the motorcycling community are addressed.

The easiest way to do that is to go to the AMA website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Issues & Legislation.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      08-13-2010 04:30 PM #2
      Doesn't make any sense, what are they going to 'check' at these points?

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      08-13-2010 04:52 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      conformity and consistency of Harley rider's leather tassles and chaps?

Vehicles
      2011 Volt, 2015 Mazda6 Touring 6sp-manual
      08-13-2010 06:01 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      I assume they would be checking...

1. Licensing - Motorcyclists are notorious for riding without endorsements.

2. Insurance - Bikes are cheap to buy compared to cars, and "squids" typically cannot afford to insure race replicas for anything less than a small fortune.

3. Off-Road only modifications...LOUD PIPES!! - For the HD crowd that annoys the hell out of every other motorist.

4. Sobriety - The HD bar hopping stereotype is all too real in many urban areas.

6. 08-13-2010 06:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ValValline View Post
      4. Sobriety - The HD bar hopping stereotype is all too real in many urban areas.
      Not unlike the stretched Busa bar hoppers.

08-13-2010 08:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ValValline View Post
      I assume they would be checking...

1. Licensing - Motorcyclists are notorious for riding without endorsements.

2. Insurance - Bikes are cheap to buy compared to cars, and "squids" typically cannot afford to insure race replicas for anything less than a small fortune.

3. Off-Road only modifications...LOUD PIPES!! - For the HD crowd that annoys the hell out of every other motorist.

These are all good things!

Vehicles
      04 Expedition, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 12 Fusion V6, 72 Yamaha XS-2, 06 CBR F4i
      08-14-2010 12:07 PM #7
      if they do in fact stick to checking things that are illegal, and doing so in a professional manner i see only one problem with it, which is that it is profiling and supposed to be contrary to the Constitution.

if they want to stop and check everyone for sobriety, license, registration, and insurance i say go for it. stopping just the motorcyclists is saying that only the motorcyclists are the people causing the problem, or that they are more likely to be causing the problem.

breaking the law to enforce the law solves nothing

9. 08-14-2010 12:40 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      motorcyclists are the people causing the problem, or that they are more likely to be causing the problem.
      Got it right there. The whole idea of stopping only the motorcycles in this way is to make the car driving public even more wary of motorcyclists. By making us seem more troublesome it makes us less important. This must be the best response they could come up with to the recent ad campaigns that have slightly increased driver awareness.

Or they are trying to get the 1%ers motorcycle gangs by horribly inconveniencing the other 99% and not enough of anyone is going to say something until it explodes.

Write your elected officials folks.

Vehicles
      65 Mustang 289, 81 SLC500, 84 911LS1
      08-15-2010 01:41 AM #9
      I would expect the offending officer be convicted of unlawful restraint and spend a small time in jail
      Like that is going to happen
      We are living in a police state

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-16-2010 10:31 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
      Not unlike the stretched Busa bar hoppers.
      More prevalent in the cruiser community. Poker runs around here usually have all their stops at bars and it's generally 90% cruisers, 50%+ of those being Harleys.

I've never once seen a poker run/event/rally that the majority of which were sport bikers and where most of the event was held at or associated with bars serving alcohol.

Vehicles
      S60, ‘murrica
      08-16-2010 03:37 PM #11
      I've run into some issues down in Orange County where locals had complained about overly loud motorcycles on some of the more popular routes. People had complained a lot, and insisted the police weren't doing anything about it, which led to more scrutiny, of course.

But I liked what the police chose to do. They did pull me and a group over a couple times, to check decibel levels with a meter - but not only did they not issue tickets, they didn't even do a paperwork check. They just told us what had been going on and why, and that we would have to be aware of what was going on so that in the future, we could avoid getting a ticket if our bikes were too loud. All very friendly, informed, and with a complete lack of hostility towards us, and it allowed the guys running too loud a chance to do something about it without paying a fine on top of it.

I definitely feel the general population overreacts to motorcycles, but when the community puts pressure on the authorities, it was cool to see an intelligent solution.
      One sedan
      One coupe

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      08-16-2010 04:03 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      They did pull me and a group over a couple times, to check decibel levels with a meter.
      Well it's a good thing my VFR sounds like a sewing machine.

14. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      03-14-2019 03:15 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      roadblocks
      The demonstration program is modeled after a controversial program in New York where the state police set up a series of checkpoints that targeted only motorcyclists, raising the ire of the AMA and motorcycling community.
      You people are a community now?

I've tried to get MAZDA5 owners to wave at one another the way Porsche drivers do, but I find the necessary spirit in the minivan community lacking.
      Last edited by zukiphile; 03-14-2019 at 03:34 PM.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      03-14-2019 04:38 PM #14
      Did they mention anything about these guys or the big groups of stuntaz who "take over the streets?"

I'd be all for that.

They probably aren't though. Targeting licensed/insured riders seems like an idea the government would have.

03-14-2019 06:58 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      You people are a community now?
      SBGPT, Scooters, Bikes, Gay Pirates, Trikes.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      I find the necessary spirit in the minivan community lacking.
      Show more cleavage, that'll help in the reciprocity of kinship
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden