VWVortex.com - Need input: MK6 GTI vs MK4 R32
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 48 of 48

    Thread: Need input: MK6 GTI vs MK4 R32

    1. Member Scrawnyirishboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2010
      Location
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Posts
      488
      Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta Pkg 2, 2.5 liter Auto (My Girly Car)
      10-27-2010 04:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      Sure you can get a GTI now... but wouldn't you just be tempted to trade it in when the Golf R comes out?
      I'm not holding my breath for that day, to be honest.
      Peter McCormack
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Main- 732-339-6900
      Direct- 732-339-6941
      email- [email protected]

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      40,071
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-27-2010 04:42 PM #27
      2.SLOW ftw!

    4. Member silverA4quattro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2004
      Location
      Conshohocken, PA
      Posts
      12,744
      Vehicles
      '13 Tiguan SEL 4Mo, '15 Odyssey EX-L :-(
      10-27-2010 04:44 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      2.SLOW ftw!
      Hahaha

      Boy, does it ever live up to its name too.....

    5. Global Moderator iThread's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2005
      Location
      Portland, Or
      Posts
      19,722
      Vehicles
      67 Bug, 17 Forester, 19 F-150
      10-27-2010 05:53 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      However I'd be getting a 31k+ gti for less than a base 4dr manual with sunroof.... somethign to say for that.
      True, all depends on the interest rate and if the savings there make up for the difference. Probably will.

    6. Member new2vwnj's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2009
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      466
      Vehicles
      2011 gti
      10-27-2010 06:34 PM #30
      Go new mk6!!
      Why get a third used r32?
      Try something new
      Honestly I went to the local dealer last week to test a r32. An ended up buying a brand new gti mk6 2011...
      Feels so much better yo be a first owner and have a new car
      parts for sale.. look me up!

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      2,215
      Vehicles
      GX470
      10-27-2010 08:06 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      True, all depends on the interest rate and if the savings there make up for the difference. Probably will.
      So I went to another dealer and drove a 2dr (didn't have any 4dr manuals) - again I liked the gti, although this salesman seemed less willing to let me rag it. Whereas the guy at the other dealer encouraged me to romp on it Anyways, I think I'd REALLY dislike the halogens insetad of going AFS xenons. As far as seats, I do like the interlagos, HOWEVER the leather door panels in the autobahn package make the car seem much nicer inside.

      It's actually too bad in the 2011's that the autobahn is at 31 because it's definitely the best value in my opinion. Although the $1500 jump from gti w/ sunroof to gti w/ sunroof/navi/AFS seems very much worth it.

    8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      40,071
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      10-27-2010 08:14 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      although this salesman seemed less willing to let me rag it. Whereas the guy at the other dealer encouraged me to romp on it .
      why would you do that to a car thats not broken in?

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      2,215
      Vehicles
      GX470
      10-27-2010 08:25 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      why would you do that to a car thats not broken in?
      1. Because he probably didn't care? 2. There is alot of debate on the proper wear to break in a motor... many people (including engine builders) believe you can just start getting on it hard. Also by romp, I mean take turns fast, get on the brakes, go into an empty parking lot to feel the balance of the handling, etc.

    10. Global Moderator iThread's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2005
      Location
      Portland, Or
      Posts
      19,722
      Vehicles
      67 Bug, 17 Forester, 19 F-150
      10-28-2010 12:18 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      So I went to another dealer and drove a 2dr (didn't have any 4dr manuals) - again I liked the gti, although this salesman seemed less willing to let me rag it. Whereas the guy at the other dealer encouraged me to romp on it Anyways, I think I'd REALLY dislike the halogens insetad of going AFS xenons. As far as seats, I do like the interlagos, HOWEVER the leather door panels in the autobahn package make the car seem much nicer inside.

      It's actually too bad in the 2011's that the autobahn is at 31 because it's definitely the best value in my opinion. Although the $1500 jump from gti w/ sunroof to gti w/ sunroof/navi/AFS seems very much worth it.
      I'm sure you can get it under 30k if you try, I got my 2011 4dr Autobahn for under that.

    11. Geriatric Member
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      41,120
      Vehicles
      2018 Raptor - 2004 R32
      10-28-2010 12:28 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      I'm sure you can get it under 30k if you try, I got my 2011 4dr Autobahn for under that.
      I got my '10 with autobahn, xenons, dynaudio, detroits and nav for under 30k too.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R (SOLD) - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3 (SOLD) - '18 RS3 (SOLD) - '18 Raptor

    12. Member evosky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2010
      Location
      noVA / DE
      Posts
      8,934
      Vehicles
      a van
      10-28-2010 01:05 PM #36
      yah i got my 4door+DSG+Xenons+Autobahn+Navi for under 30K

    13. Member Scrawnyirishboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2010
      Location
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Posts
      488
      Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta Pkg 2, 2.5 liter Auto (My Girly Car)
      10-28-2010 02:53 PM #37
      Autobahn's hot, but I feel roof & nav is the best value, my opinion.
      Peter McCormack
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Main- 732-339-6900
      Direct- 732-339-6941
      email- [email protected]

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      2,215
      Vehicles
      GX470
      11-14-2010 09:42 AM #38
      Not to bring this back up and my next question is somewhat offtopic but kind of not....

      Conventional wisdom and advice (of people whom I've asked) - say never buy a new car, I've never bought one and have preached against buying new (try to find slightly used).

      Just looking from you guys on the opposite side of that, if you have no regrets of buying NEW.

      Thanks
      -Joe

    15. Member corrado917's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2008
      Location
      Chi City
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      MK6 CSG,Corrado SLC,C230 Sport Kompressor
      11-14-2010 10:53 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      Not to bring this back up and my next question is somewhat offtopic but kind of not....

      Conventional wisdom and advice (of people whom I've asked) - say never buy a new car, I've never bought one and have preached against buying new (try to find slightly used).

      Just looking from you guys on the opposite side of that, if you have no regrets of buying NEW.

      Thanks
      -Joe
      I think right now it's a good moment to think about a lower price for some mk6 2010 if you could find one,or get a revised 2011,from the practical point of tuning the GTI will make you happy.
      No regrets to buy new,you have the time on ur side to keep your car running good knowing its history maintenance wise.

    16. Geriatric Member
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      41,120
      Vehicles
      2018 Raptor - 2004 R32
      11-14-2010 11:00 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      Not to bring this back up and my next question is somewhat offtopic but kind of not....

      Conventional wisdom and advice (of people whom I've asked) - say never buy a new car, I've never bought one and have preached against buying new (try to find slightly used).

      Just looking from you guys on the opposite side of that, if you have no regrets of buying NEW.

      Thanks
      -Joe
      I have zero regrets buying new. I bought my 04 R new and then my 10 gti. I like having a car that no one else has driven or modified. not to say I would never buy used but there is nothing wrong with buying new.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R (SOLD) - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3 (SOLD) - '18 RS3 (SOLD) - '18 Raptor

    17. Member GunKata's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Lombard, IL
      Posts
      1,535
      Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      11-14-2010 05:08 PM #41
      I test drove an 08 R32 back to back with a 2010 GTI - GTI won hands down for me. It has the turbo, the smooth shifting (MT), its very nimble and light feeling, and how easy to mod it is. It also gets better mpg.

      Part of me wanted the AWD and better brakes, but there were way too many pros on the GTI to pass it up. And then of course, I only saw this later :

      http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...son/index.html

      and then I felt even better about my decision.

      As for buying new, only 4 of the many car's I've owned have been new. New is good for some things such as lower interest rates, more piece of mind, and perhaps more warranty time. However, a 1-2 year old certified pre-owned car is also a great way to save a ton of money against depreciation and still retain a waranty.
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

    18. Member SoCalMK6GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2010
      Location
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      Posts
      7,280
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      11-14-2010 06:12 PM #42
      No regrets buying new. No regrets whatsoever with buying a MKVI! I have loved my car since the first moment I saw her.

      Make the jump and buy brand new!

    19. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      41,633
      Vehicles
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      11-14-2010 07:00 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      jeez why would you want a third used mk4 R32?
      /thread

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      2,215
      Vehicles
      GX470
      11-21-2010 12:25 PM #44
      Well I didn't buy new but I'm a mk6 owner now

    21. Member 10Ten's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2007
      Location
      DFW's Apex
      Posts
      6,753
      Vehicles
      2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
      11-21-2010 12:49 PM #45
      i own an R32. i have test driven multiple MkVI's and bought one for my wife.

      the mkVI platform is so nice and refined, especially for the money. it's great.

      but i realized one day that one of the most fun things i enjoy when i drive is punching it coming out of corners. in an R32, that's an awesome experience. can't say the same about any FWD car i've ever driven, including mkVI GTi's. front wheelspin and a sleeping rear end is an underwhelming experience for an enthusiast, especially one used to playing rough with his R32.

    22. Member GunKata's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Lombard, IL
      Posts
      1,535
      Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      11-21-2010 01:36 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      i own an R32. i have test driven multiple MkVI's and bought one for my wife.

      the mkVI platform is so nice and refined, especially for the money. it's great.

      but i realized one day that one of the most fun things i enjoy when i drive is punching it coming out of corners. in an R32, that's an awesome experience. can't say the same about any FWD car i've ever driven, including mkVI GTi's. front wheelspin and a sleeping rear end is an underwhelming experience for an enthusiast, especially one used to playing rough with his R32.
      My GTI handles corners just fine - very impressed, coming from awd performance cars.
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

    23. Member 10Ten's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2007
      Location
      DFW's Apex
      Posts
      6,753
      Vehicles
      2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
      11-21-2010 03:09 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
      My GTI handles corners just fine - very impressed, coming from awd performance cars.
      if "just fine" is good enough fer ya...

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 8th, 2014
      Location
      Baltimore
      Posts
      188
      Vehicles
      '97 Windsor blue glx
      09-11-2019 10:10 PM #48
      I recently purchased a 2004 DBP .:R32 from a friend with around 120k on it for $13k. I have been a VR6 owner for 12 years now and have never owned any vw that wasn't. I am a firm lover and advocate of Mk3 VRs, but this new R is absolutely amazing. It is fully built and tuned on Unitronic(haldex as well) and i have bluetooth and nav installed as well. While my built mk3s were much faster top speed and out of the hole, i have a fortune auto suspension setup and have never felt better handling. I am also a VW certified master technician and have been behind the wheel of almost every vw imaginable and even had the luxury of being able to take home some MkVI and MkVII Golf Rs. I know its a matter of preference and opinion, but, in my personal experience, there is nothing that has compared to my R32. Just throwing in my $.02.

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •