VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

FlashZilla Loader and ECU Tunes

63K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  fastinradford 
#1 · (Edited)

FlashZilla is a very popular device that allows you to receive performance tunes via e-mail and upload them to your vehicle anywhere.

Includes:

• Up to 6 Slots for for ECU tunes.
  • OBD2 cable for connecting the device to your vehicle.
  • USB cable for connecting the device to your Windows computer if you want to swap tunes.
  • Read and erase ECU fault codes.
  • ECU recovery for reliable flashes.
  • Ability to sell FlashZilla to a new owner. Restoring the stock tune in your vehicle will unlock it for use in another vehicle.

note: 1999.5 and older TDIs are not OBD2 flashable and require ECU removal. http://malonetuning.com/contact-us for more information.

How to Order a FlashZilla or ECU Tune:

There are far too many variables to list to determine what tune suits you. For this reason we always communicate with clients to determine the requirements, before we start tuning. Feel free to leave us a message.

We can tune just about anything, including triple-turbo TDIs (yes, three turbos), custom-built parallel TDIs hybrids, custom-built serial TDI hybrids, TDI-powered motorcycles, TDI-powered boats, TDI-powered drilling machines, and so on.

Contact us if you have any questions and we will respond quickly. We can create an invoice for each client only after we have discussed the requirements.

See less See more
#5 ·
#10 ·
1995 Suzuki Sidekick with 1.9 TDI

Hey Mark, I met up with you a while back. I have a small leak in the engine and for the life of me I can't locate the leak. Would you know of any good diesel mechanic that can solve this problem?
I also wanted to find out if you are able to provide a chip that can increase my power and less fuel consumption? After changing over to lower gears to run my 32's Im getting about 30 mpg.
Thanks

Rob

#11 ·
Hi Rob,

This may help: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=364253

We have an Eco tune available (not much power increase, more fuel-economy-oriented) for $149. I recommend the Stage 1 tune for $249 as it has even more power and still gives some fuel economy increase.

#14 ·
hey, wondering about the stage 2 tune on a 01 TDI.. do i need to replace any parts mechanically for this or can i run the tune on stock componants (have a 3.0" turbo-back straight pipe)

#19 ·
hey Mark , this is Charlie .

nice work man !

The car is completely different in feel and sound now , not just under load . Im hoping they finish the machining work on the clutch in the next week or so , then we can finish tuning it . Im only showing 20 psi on the mechanical gauge with the base map which is good for squeezing the extra couple of weeks I have been forced to wait for the custom triple plate clutch . Even at 20 its an animal .

#20 ·
hey guys i know flashzilla will not work for me but i had a few questions and was wondering if you could answer them for me. im currently putting a 1Z in my MK2 jetta and was doing a ton of research. the unit i have has the bk ecu with the fith injector garbage. im deleting all that crap, my question is can i take this ecu to the dealer and get the GQ ecu as a recall? or was it not a recall? did it have to be in the passat for the recall? im DEQ exempt where i live so im figuring im going to have a check engine light on for a while till i find an ecu at the junkyard or unless i can trade this one in. im going to be cutting open the wiring harness will it care if i delete the wiring for the 5th injector and egr junk? at the moment im just trying to get it running and not looking to spend money on it till like say tax returns? anyway any advise will be helpful thank you

#21 · (Edited)
It's been a long while since VW stocked those ECUs, but if you go in and find a younger guy it might be worth messing with him :laugh:

Unfortunately the earlier plastic cased ECUs have a weaker MAP sensor and 8 bit board, which cannot easily be tuned and is unreliable at best. VW replaced it under a recall, but if it wasn't replaced, your only option is to buy a replacement. You'll throw a CEL but should not have limp mode conditions unless the boost requested vs actual values vary greatly (due to bad actuator placement, wastegate issues, increased flow due to EGR delete, high altitude, or a combination of the lot). If that's the case I'd start with the vacuum hoses, including the one in the ECU.

We stock the later ECUs, and can sort you out with a tune from a basic eco tune to custom tuning for standalone VNT controlled big turbo swaps. You name it, Mark can tune it.

Feel free to contact us at info@malonetuning.com when that tax return rolls in and we'll sort you out with a tune + ECU.

Cheers,

Owain

#23 ·
What is the MAP sensor?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Thank you.

Does the boost get read through the nipple on the back of the ECU? I'm swapping in a 1Z in a mk1, keeping my IP electronic, and I'm not sure what I need to do with that.

Looking at getting your guy's Eco tune.

Does the MAF delete effect fuel economy. I haven't decided to keep it or scrap it. I know you have a MAF delete, just wondering what your experiences have been keeping it vs deleting it.

#26 · (Edited)
Yes, there's where boost is read. Here's another picture:

MAF delete usually does not affect fuel economy. It might increase exhaust smoke, but that can be tweaked. Your 1Z TDI ECU is older (non-OBD2-flashable) so tweaking may be limited.

This thread is mainly about FlashZilla, which supports mostly 2000 and newer VWs. That device will not work for your 1Z TDI. Let's continue our conversation at info@malonetuning.com :)

#27 ·
Yes, there's where boost is read. Here's another picture:

MAF delete usually does not affect fuel economy. It might increase exhaust smoke, but that can be tweaked. Your 1Z TDI ECU is older (non-OBD2-flashable) so tweaking may be limited.

This thread is mainly about FlashZilla, which supports mostly 2000-2008 VWs. That device will not work for your 1Z TDI. Let's continue our conversation at info@malonetuning.com :)
Thank you for the clarification. I'll email you, got a couple more questions.

#28 ·
If you keep the 1z computer.
Be SURE to take the circuit board out and replace the small vacuum line INSIDE the computer.

Personally. On a swap to mk1! I would be more likely to use a mTDI pump.

Because 10 years from now.
You may not be so entertained by chasing wires and buying all the parts that wear out in etdi. And figuring what was removed.
What was spliced in.

And I know that I don’t need a single wire to push start me and get home.

That. Is. Invaluable.

Unless u would rather be stranded with a rig that once ran somewhat smoother.

Although. I can attest. That my 99.5 alh with a Malone 1.5 tune was sent from
Heaven above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.