Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AEG Turbo

03-06-2011 06:43 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Myliljettatoy View Post

Also the bolts on the turbo to manifold keeps backing off after I started running on 10 psi any ideas on how to keep them in place?
      double them up? I remember seeing some bolt thing in the FI section people were using special bolts and lock washers I think, others have also use metal wire and done a loop around a bolt nice and tight then onto the next one, like a continuous figure 8 type deal all around the manifold... i'll have a look see what I find.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I read this in Samuel L. Jackson's voice to make it more interesting. That's all I got.
      Current: 2008 Audi A4 2.0T Avant SE Tip & 2004 Golf TDI 5MT
      Previous: 2003 VW Jetta TDI 5MT | 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT | 2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T 4Motion 5MT | 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Q/6MT | 2000 VW Golf 2.0 5MT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2.1 20v BT
      03-06-2011 07:10 PM #27
      I run something like this on my studs that are fitted into the exhaust manifold

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=FST

they dont back out ever

4. 03-06-2011 08:03 PM #28
      Thanks for the suggestions guys. From what you are saying I think I should have studs instead of bolts holding the turbo to manifold

Will do this-> get studs and lock nuts from ecs (double nuts), lock washers, drill the studs and run the wire thru them

WE will se who rules on that engine bay me or this mofo turbo backing out

Vehicles
      2002 jetta 2.0L
      03-31-2011 10:33 AM #29
      have you had i dynoed yet?

6. 04-02-2011 02:10 AM #30
      Not yet I'm still working on the exhaust. I should get it dynoed in a couple weeks at 15psi

7. 10-31-2011 02:46 AM #31
      Up for some updates

Car now has been running for a year and going strong

Since the turbo conversion I had to replace a few parts that started to reallly show its high mileage with the extra power including rear brakes, the whole lower front suspension wich was also stiffened with poly bushings, all three motor/trans mount also coverted to poly and also lowered on fk coilovers

Now running at 14psi this thing really moves

I made a couple videos with my crapy cell phone, shacky as hell and no audio but it gives an idea

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW 2.0 Jetta (AEG)
      10-31-2011 03:50 AM #32
      Holy Hell.

I just love watching the needle to the speedometer jump from 20-60 like. I really want to get my 2.0 turboed....have for a while but a niiiice HD Fatboy Lo caught my eye so now I'm really torn.

Sick pull tho. Have fun with the 2.0T

Vehicles
      02 vw golf, 88 Toyota Hilux, 93 4runner(sold), 97 VR jetta(sold)
      10-31-2011 10:34 AM #33
      Hadn'tread this build before but just read it over, props for running the megasquirt...not many ppl doing that on mk4 2.0's

10. 10-31-2011 11:53 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Project_121 View Post
      Holy Hell.

I just love watching the needle to the speedometer jump from 20-60 like. I really want to get my 2.0 turboed....have for a while but a niiiice HD Fatboy Lo caught my eye so now I'm really torn.

Sick pull tho. Have fun with the 2.0T
      Thanks
      I can't blame you, motorcycles are so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by 02vwgolf View Post
      Hadn'tread this build before but just read it over, props for running the megasquirt...not many ppl doing that on mk4 2.0's
      Thanks man

I was reading thru the thread and saw that some info is missing from what I've done last spring.

I got rid of the edis ignition and the 32-1 wheel on the crank, now I'm using the stock 60-2 and sharing the sensor with the stock ecu. Modified the megasquirt so now it also controls ignition

I flipped the turbo/manifold so my downpipe now is on the drivers side, this way my charge pipe coming from the compressor dont get heated up from the exhaust, it goes straight from the compressor outlet down to the smic thru a 2.5" mandrel bent piping eliminating the pancake pipe

Also got a dynamax glasspack muffler in place of the stock cat while I was at it modifying the downpipe to the other side

Vehicles
      02 vw golf, 88 Toyota Hilux, 93 4runner(sold), 97 VR jetta(sold)
      11-01-2011 04:45 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Myliljettatoy View Post
      Thanks
      I can't blame you, motorcycles are so much fun

Thanks man

I was reading thru the thread and saw that some info is missing from what I've done last spring.

I got rid of the edis ignition and the 32-1 wheel on the crank, now I'm using the stock 60-2 and sharing the sensor with the stock ecu. Modified the megasquirt so now it also controls ignition

I flipped the turbo/manifold so my downpipe now is on the drivers side, this way my charge pipe coming from the compressor dont get heated up from the exhaust, it goes straight from the compressor outlet down to the smic thru a 2.5" mandrel bent piping eliminating the pancake pipe

Also got a dynamax glasspack muffler in place of the stock cat while I was at it modifying the downpipe to the other side
      Thats awesome! Glad to hear your still making progress on the car

12. 09-13-2012 05:13 PM #36
      Bumping it up for some updates

Had a little problem when a half-moon cam gear key fell one day when I was messing with it and ended up landing on the bottom of the t-belt cover, since I couldnt find it at time I just replaced with a spare one and kept rolling, a week later was stopped at a traffic light and the little sob finally met the t-belt stripped all its teeth and bent all my valves

Then I decided to go ahead and refresh the motor a bit since it was all open

Forged rods on stock pistons, new rings and new rod bearings

Photo0527 by yo mama, on Flickr

Photo0522 by yo mama, on Flickr

While it was under the knife I decided it was time for the stock 1.8t intercooler to go and went a little bigger

Photo0579 by yo mama, on Flickr

Photo0580 by yo mama, on Flickr

The other side of the piping is routed behind the battery and inside the hollowed stock air box and from there to the t-body, looks like a stock engine bay from the top, I will get some pics of the engine bay and post here.

Next step is a low miles aba obd1 head with double springs

Edit to add a pic of the car

Photo0477 by yo mama, on Flickr
      Last edited by groundupjetta; 09-13-2012 at 10:45 PM.

13. 09-18-2012 03:35 PM #37
      Found this awhile ago on ebay, a genuine garrett stage 3 with a .48a/r

Will go in when I switch heads in a couple weeks

Photo0604 by yo mama, on Flickr

14. 10-09-2012 01:46 PM #38
      Any pix under the hood? Looks very similar to the build I'd like to do.

Vehicles
      2013 jetta 2.slow
      11-24-2018 05:35 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by groundupjetta View Post
      So here is my aeg turbo build and a list of parts used.

Garrett T3/T4
      .70 A/R Compressor side 70 trim and hot side .82 A/R 76 trim stage 3 wheel

T3 kinetic exhaust manifold for external wastegate

Emusa 38mm wastegate adjustable from 7 to 15psi

1.8T stock intercooler piping and side mount

Custom 2.5" piping from intercooler to throttle body

2.5" custom downpipe to cat (cat opened to 2.5" at downpipe end)

Forge 004 bov

Accel 8.8mm spark plug wires

Accel high performance coil

BKR7e spark plugs

440cc ford racing injectors (green tops)

Megasquirt 1 pcb 3.0 running msextra software

Ford EDIS ignition (module, 36-1 welded to the crank pulley)

ATP oil lines

AEM UEGO Wideband

Custom vent for wideband and boost gauge

Glowshift boost gauge

M8 plugs for the cylinder head SAI (the head is drilled for this size tap )

Numerous couplers, fittings, bolts and trips to the store

Custom turbo - downpipe flange

Stacked head gaskets

Autotech 270 cam

Welded oil pan for oil return (local)

GM IAT and coolant temperature sensor

This is all I can remember right now but theres more to it and I will update as I remember.

First I want to say that this is my first turbo project and I'm very proud for the way its coming out . I've been planning for this for a long time.

I did all the work by myself including all the welding, brackets, installation, etc.
      I worked long hours on this car and had put a lot of tought, sweat and blood on this project. And it was all worth it.

I did all the megasquirt assembling and in car wiring by myself also. The first time I tried to turn on the car with megasquirt it wouldnt start, but after some help from the guys at the sem forums I found my problem was a inverted polarity on the vr sensor . Wires fixed, turn on the key and it turned on on the first try, idled like stock and drove off perfectly, I couldnt believe I was finally driving this car .

The AFR was almost perfect so I dived on the boost world, hit 7 psi and put a smile on my face.
      Its not oh so fast but its waaaay faster then the stock 2.0. Boost comes in at 3200 rpm and hit full boost at 4200, not bad, I tought I wouldnt see boost until 4 grand anyways, so better then expected.

So thats it for now, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the setup on the car. Next step is raising the boost although I'm a little skeptical about the stacked head gaskets. I researched about it and saw some people running 15psi dailly on stacked gaskets, I plan on 10 - 12psi wich should be a lot of airflow with this size turbo, will see.
      CAN THE MEGASQUIRT Be fitted on mk6 8VALVES ENGINE CODE CBP

16. 12-29-2018 04:52 PM #40
      Excellent thread and beautiful build, thank you. Sitting my AEG at 160xxx. Planning my build now. 2019 New Years Resolution 🎉

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta Wagon
      10-10-2019 02:16 PM #41
      I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I'm deeply curious -- what were some of the biggest hurdles you ran into along the way? I'm in the process of assembling parts for my own 8v turbo build, using a BEV (to get things off the ground and build my AEG in the mean time) with a (free) Thunderbird Turbo Coupe IHI turbo, 440cc injectors (also Ford) and planning to go with the United Motorsport software. VR6 MAF housing, FMIC, AEM wideband, and 2.5" exhaust. The plan here is 5-7psi on the stock motor, hope it stays together, and begin (immediately) on tearing down the AEG to start on having it steam cleaned and checked for cracks/damage, forged internals, ARP headstuds and a gasket matched head.

How awful was physically fitting the turbo, in terms of firewall clearance and whatnot? Any general useful advice going into it?
      Nineeightyone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12