If you are thinking about sticking a tdi into a gas carÖÖ.. donít
Still reading??? Hmm ok well I guess Iíll add to the tex and do a proper write up of it. The car and the write up are a work in progress so updates will be added on a weekly basis until the car is running again. I have done some searches on vortex and the tdi club forums and there really isnít a definitive write up in it more of a log of the random pitfalls. A helpful but a step by step process is needed for future texters. This write-up is both good for b4 Passat and mk3 Jetta/ golf. There really is little difference between these cars.
Back story. The car is owned by my friend. In November during an early snow storm a tree fell and crushed his car. This just a few months after I got it running properly, leaky ecm vacuum line. He had disused doing repair with a body guy he knew, but I suggested that doing a swap might be easier and safer given the extent of the damage. I also noted that ďsedansí are lameĒ and if we could find a wagon ďwith a strait body but major engine or transmission issuesĒ that would be ideal. A glx would be perfect, he wants leather. Ten minutes and a quick search on craigslist later we found our car. A blue passat wagon vr6 tan leather in perfect condition but with a bad transmission. A week later he had the car and I was committed.
I have found the key so far with the swap is to think big. Pull the cars apart in big components whenever possible. ExampleÖWe pulled both motors via the sub-frames. In both cases the power steering, transmission, axels, and front suspension at the knuckles are all intact. Really disassembly is the easy part and I wonít really touch on it here. Iím more concerned with are answering the following questions.
1. How much of the wiring will we need to pull from one car to the other to get it to run?
2. Instrument clusters??? Glow plug light is in the cluster.
3. How will I solve the differences between the fuel pump and level sensors?
4. How will going from sedan to wagon affect the build?
5. In this build we are going from auto to manual how is that going to affect wiring and the build?
6. The wagon has abs the sedan doesnít and he wants to retain abs. How am I going to do that and make sure the cluster functions? Iím I going to run into serious wiring problems?
7. Four to Five lug swap? Are the axels the same dimensions or am I going to have to use tdi Axles or a hybrid of vr6 and tdi?
8. There are part number differences in the sub-frame but are there really any differences between the sub-frames?
9. Fuel delivery and fuel lines? Differences in tanks from sedan to wagon and tdi from gas.
10. Intercooler mounting piping?
11. Ac, power steering, function and components compatibility from one car to the other?
Trough the process of the build and the write up I hope to have all these questions answered. When all these questions are answered the car will be running and ready to be inspected by the California B.A.R. East coasters you guys can cheat but since we have to go by the book in Cali hopefully this will be the write up to refer to when the job needs to be done right.