Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: W8 Overhead console installation - FINAL

Vehicles
      2009 Q5 3.2L S-Line & 2018 RS3
      09-19-2002 10:29 PM #1
      I just wanted to tell the Millenium VW guys, I told you guys I wrote this.
      Disclaimer: This was done on a Passat, and I don't guarantee that the procedure will be the same for a Golf/Jetta. Good luck people, and I've tried to answer some questions at the bottom of this post.
      The Passat W8 upgraded dome/map light panel
      The W8 overhead control panel gives you several changes over the standard panel. All of the controls on the W8 panel have backlight icons so that they are easier to find in the dark. The map light switches have been redesigned to be easier to activate at night, and by touch. There are two, red, ambient light LEDs to give a small amount of downward light at night to make lower dash controls more visible. Finally, the map and dome lights have been redesigned to use W5W wedge bulbs and give out more light than the older panel.
      Note, there are two versions of the sunroof panel available, A and B. The A version would be for use with the older sunroof rheostat, and the B version for the new "comfort position" rheostat that snaps back. It's on late '02+ models IIRC. Here's how you can tell them apart:

What you are installing:

Installation

Parts List:
      W8 Interior light w/Sunroof
      * 3B7 947 106 A 2EN : gray
      * 3B7 947 106 A Y20 : beige
      W8 Interior light w/o Sunroof
      * 3B7 947 105 F 2EN : gray
      * 3B7 947 105 F Y20 : beige
      * 3B0 972 706 : plug 6-pin for light
      * 000 979 131 : cables for plug (you need two of these)
      * Approximately 7 feet of 18 gauge wire
      * 1 3M Scotchlock tap connector
      * 4 18~22 gauge electrical butt connectors
      * Wire ties
      Optional parts:
      * 2 W5W Hyperwhite wedge bulbs for dome light
      * 2 W5W amber LEDs for map lights
      Tools:
      * #2 Phillips screwdriver
      * Razor knife
      * Wire stripping/crimping tool
      * Wire cutters
      All of this information pertains to a 2001.5 (facelifted) Passat and newer. All other years and models may have some differences in wiring and procedure. Proceed with caution, as you are altering the electrical system of your car. No warranty or claims agains defect are made by the author, and the author assumes no responsibility for damage.
      Step 1: Safety:
      -Disconnect the negative ground terminal from the battery, to prevent shock, or damage to you car.
      Step 2: Remove the old light:
      - Remove the sunroof emergency access panel immediatly to the rear of the sunroof panel. (see figure 1)
      - Remove the clear plastic light cover from the panel by bulling from the front, down, and toward the rear of the car.
      - Remove the two phillips screws in holding the panel in place (see figure 2)
      - Remove all wiring harness connectors from the control panel
      - Test fit the new panel in place. Some modifications may need to be done to other interior components, make sure this part will fit before you proceed!

figure 1: layout

figure 2: Panel screws

Step 3: Convert wiring and plug:
      - Insert four of the cables (000 979 131) into positions 1, 3, 4, and 5 on the new plug (3B0 972 706)
      - Attach a butt connector to the end of each cable (see figure 3)
      - Remove old connector from dome light wiring harness
      - Attach the RED/BLACK (2001.5+) or the RED/BLUE (2001.5-) wire to the butt connector for position 5
      - Attach the BROWN wire to the butt connector for position 4
      - Attach the BROWN/WHITE wire to the butt connector for position 3
      - Attach the length of wire, from the parts list above, to the butt connector for position 1
      - Positions 2 and 6 remain empty
      - Reference figure 4

figure 3: Assembled plug

figure 4: Completed plug wiring
      Step 4: Running the light control wire:
      - Remove the cover to the fuse panel
      - Remove the A pillar panel seal(see figure 5)
      - Remove the A pillar panel cover, the cover slides up about 3/8" then off of the mounting pegs. The retaining strap is very difficult to remove, so I lifted the A pillar cover out of the pocket in the dash and moved it to the side. (see figure 6)
      - Remove the middle sunvisor by bulling it down and removing the single phillips screw.
      - Feed the long, new, wire from the dome light plug foreward toward the windshield, and along the headliner then down the A pillar.
      - Secure the wire to the existing A pillar wiring bundle with cable ties so that it doesn't interfere with the Airbag
      - Using the Scotchlock tap connector, attach the wire to the GRAY/BLUE wire going to the light switch. (see figure 7) Trim to length, if required.
      - Attach the new dome light panel to the cable connector, re-connect the battery and test function of the new panel. Ensure that the lights function and dim with the normal swith controls, then disconnect the battery.

figure 5: A pillar panel - (The white areas in this picture are parts of the airbag)

figure 6: Inside the A pillar - (The green wire is the new light control wire, which has been attached to the existing harness with wire ties)

figure 7: Light switch connection - (The pink thing in the lower photo is the 3M Scotchlock tap connector)
      Step 5: Final Assembly
      - Re-attach the fuse panel cover, A pillar cover, and A pillar seal
      - Remove the sunroof potentiometer from the old panel and install in the new panel
      - Test the fit of the new panel in place.
      - Some minor modifications may need to be done to the headliner to make the panel fit, but this varies by model and year of car.
      - The philips screws will not line up with the old screw locations, but the panel has been redesigned so that it is sufficiently held in place with the two metal clips on the side of the panel.
      - Re-attach sunroof emergency access panel.
      Fin!

FAQs
      Q: Why do I need to run the wire to the light switch?
      A: Since the original panel was not designed to have illuminated controls, the wire is for the light on/off/dimmer control. Without this wire, the panel lighting will be on all the time.
      Q: How do I change the light bulbs in the new panel?
      A: The new panel is designed to use only W5W wedge bulbs, rather than different bulbs for dome and map lights. The panel is also designed to be held in place with two spring clips on the passengers side rather than screws. To change a bulb, pull the whole panel off from the right side and twist the black knobs on the back to take the bulb holder out.
      Q: How long does the installation take, and how hard is it?
      A: About 25 minutes, and it's really not difficult at all.
      Q: What about the Airbag?
      A: You really don't have to worry about the airbag, the area you are working in does not really interfere with the airbag, and airbags are designed to deploy if the car experiences an extreme, forceful, jolt at a specific angle. You can't exert this kind of force on the car during this procedure.
      Q: How much is it, and where can I get it?
      A: Any North American VW dealer can order it for you, and all the parts will set you back about $65.00 total.

Modified by jwil at 11:05 PM 4-2-2004

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S
      09-19-2002 10:53 PM #2
      Ok without lots of crap posts etc..., PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER, NOT SPECULATE, BUT ANSWER ONLY IF YOU KNOW:
      1: All the part numbers and costs involved need for a GLX gti/jetta
      2: If it will work
      3: Where to buy them
      4: If those ambience lights can be on at all times (Like on 1999-2000 BMW 5 series that had full-time night-time ambience lighting)
      Thanks guys. Please don't clutter this one up like the other one. And by the way, I speak for all when I say that it looks really nice!
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Vehicles
      09-19-2002 10:56 PM #3
      1. See the parts list above. That is for all models, only the installation procedure may differ.
      2. Yes, it has been done before.
      3. The dealer.
      4. That's what they are there for.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-19-2002 11:05 PM #4
      wonderful write up -- if you dont mind I'm going to go ahead and post this on my website (www.dubobsession.org w/ you being credited for sure)

7. 09-19-2002 11:07 PM #5
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      09-19-2002 11:10 PM #6
      quote:
      wonderful write up -- if you dont mind I'm going to go ahead and post this on my website (www.dubobsession.org w/ you being credited for sure)
      I don't mind at all, but some of the photos are not mine. Give me until the weekend to get all original photos in the writeup, so that I don't step on any toes.

9. 09-19-2002 11:16 PM #7
      You know... Its people like you, jwil, that I cannot stand. j/k Cause now I gotta do this to my car!!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      That is awesome! Just when I get one mod finished and I figure, ok, I can wait a little till my next one. I get on the Vortex and UGH! Nothing but love man!
      GJ and thanks for the write-up.
      One quick thing. I heard it is difficult to get the panel from the dealership. aka. parts taking forever or only available across the pond. Is this true?

Vehicles
      09-19-2002 11:20 PM #8
      That was true, but it seems that VW finally got their poop in a group. You can get them delivered in about a week right now. Unless everyone has already run out and bought them all...

11. 09-19-2002 11:24 PM #9
      quote:
      That was true, but it seems that VW finally got their poop in a group. You can get them delivered in about a week right now. Unless everyone has already run out and bought them all...
      Then in that case, I am off to the dealership to order! (Tomorrow of course) Darn you for making me spend more. But its worth it! Thanks again!

12. 09-19-2002 11:40 PM #10
      Awsome [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2003 Civic SiR
      09-19-2002 11:43 PM #11
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Can't wait to do this!!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, DSG
      09-20-2002 10:44 AM #12
      TTT, I ordered the grey with sunroof this week.
      John

15. Banned
      09-20-2002 10:47 AM #13
      wow....looks like alot of work

16. 09-20-2002 11:08 AM #14
      What is the approximate cost? Also, could someone who has done this please post if this will work on a Jetta / Golf? Thanks!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      a thumper and a MK6
      09-20-2002 11:13 AM #15
      yeah, i want to know if you can scotch-tap into the lighting like he shows, or if you have to tap into the fuse as shown earlier, for the jetta. somebody could really make a killing by packaging everything you need with some good instructions......somebody?
      “Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

Vehicles
      09-20-2002 11:14 AM #16
      quote:
      What is the approximate cost? Also, could someone who has done this please post if this will work on a Jetta / Golf? Thanks!
      Cost is about $65 for the parts. And as I mentioned above, this has been done already on a Bora. Upham did this on his '02 TDI, some of the pictures in my post are his. Take a look at Uphams post here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=325762&page=9

Vehicles
      04 Volvo XC90
      09-20-2002 11:18 AM #17
      What does the non-sunroof panel look like? I might like to put it in my car, could be a neat set-up.

20. 09-20-2002 11:35 AM #18
      Dang I just called 2 dealerships and it seems that there are no biege w/sunroof parts in the states. Anyone have any luck sourcing one?
      Oh and FYI the color code for the beige part as Y20 the parts guy couldn't find. I looked on the other thread at TDIclub and used the 92Y code and he was able to find the part.
      Great write-up. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2018 Audi Q5
      09-20-2002 11:40 AM #19
      The Y20 color code doesn't exist for this part because it's from a Passat which uses "Sunshine Beige" rather than the MKIV's "Light Beige". Sunshine Beige has more yellow than Light Beige. A lot of people are waiting to hear from me to find out how different the colors are. I'll post pics once I have the old and new part side by side...
      My part (in beige) just arrived in the states (from user Blitzen155) and I'll probably have it soon.
      quote:
      Dang I just called 2 dealerships and it seems that there are no biege w/sunroof parts in the states. Anyone have any luck sourcing one?
      Oh and FYI the color code for the beige part as Y20 the parts guy couldn't find. I looked on the other thread at TDIclub and used the 92Y code and he was able to find the part.
      Great write-up. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2018 Passat R-Line, 2013 Touareg VR6, 1988 Porsche 911
      09-20-2002 05:53 PM #20
      Just called the dealer and they can order the parts on monday and have them in by weds of next week. Pretty excited to do this and not very expensive ($65sh). I just have one ?....How exactly do you open up the a-pillar and the square headliner panel behind the switch controls? I really dont wanna F*ck anything up or cut anything, does it just snap out and snap im?
      thanks

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-20-2002 06:07 PM #21
      quote:

Where did you get the monkey?
      iain

24. 09-20-2002 06:33 PM #22
      looks nice [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      09-20-2002 07:07 PM #23
      quote:
      Ok, all of the photographs have been updated with originals. Feel free to mirror this, as long as credit is given and pointed to my site: http://www.jwilnet.com [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

26. 09-20-2002 08:00 PM #24
      what part number is the one that matches our interior's color???

[Modified by 00boravr6, 7:00 PM 9-20-2002]

27. 09-20-2002 08:40 PM #25
      Ahhh I should have realized that after reading that the instructions were for a passat. Anyway I'll be lloking forward to seeing your thoughts on the color match along with some pics. Thanks for being brave enough just to order one and try it. for you.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast