VWVortex.com - Suggestions for weight loss
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suggestions for weight loss

03-10-2011 04:03 PM #1
      I've read over a bunch of the threads in here on working out and weight loss, and my head is spinning.

Bottom line - I'm 6'3" and 301 lbs. I won $100 bet today because someone at work didn't believe I weighed that much. I am not fat, I'd say more like overweight. However, I'm fairly strong as well. I played football in college and have lost about 50lbs from when I played, but I lost that within a few years of graduating. That was almost 20 years ago.

I've decided I'm tired of not being able to fit comfortably into my Recaros any more. It was cool when I was younger to be this big, but I think I want to start moving into smaller pant sizes.

Do I start simple and walk a couple miles a day, moving up to a certain point? Start lifting weights? Radically change my diet from eating anything I want to some specific caloric intake? I'd like to get down to about 220 or so, but I don't even know if that would be realistic, given I haven't seen that number since I was in high school.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-10-2011 05:23 PM #2
      220 is a realistic number. First of all, your diet has to change. More meals, smaller portions. Don't skip meals. Start eating cleaner. There are a ton of threads on here about what foods to eat and what foods not to eat. Absolutely start lifting weights. Ease into lifting weights gradually because this isn't something you start off with at 100%. When in doubt, ask questions.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Hyundai Elantra SE
      03-10-2011 06:27 PM #3
      You should be able to do that in a year, but you would have to post your diet now and what kind of exercise are you doing, now. Then, slowly change your eating habits and exercise habits so it's more in line with what you want. Remember, the goal is not just to lose weight, but to keep it off, and that requires lifestyle changes.

Vehicles
      03-10-2011 07:05 PM #4
      1st FAQ
      2nd Amputation

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      03-10-2011 07:22 PM #5
      I am going through a similar process. 31 years old, 211lbs in Jan 20th, severely out of shape. I love food so my diet has only received small adjustments. My main change was in focusing on a bit more protein and less fats/carbs. Pretty much most of my lunches nowadays are grilld/backed fish to get more protein and a bit more "healthy" with less carbs. The other big change is a lot less beer, no more soda (diet soda before so not that bad) and a ton of water.

Going to the gym pretty much 5-6 times a week for swimming for 30-45 min and 3-4 days for another 30-40 min of weights.

Considering I did not change much in eating, dropped below 200lbs pretty quickly (196lbs now) but was also able to increase my fitness substantially. 1.5 months ago I was barely able to swim 12 laps, had to stop after each lap for quite a bit and arms were burning. Now without issues can do 50+ without a break.

As I had said in another thread ... there is one group of people that can do both loose weight and gain muscles - us fatties

I know you were not specifically looking for strength gain but in order to loose weight you can either eat a lot less and focus on dropping calories and drop all the good "bad" food or go to the gym and work out - why not benefit by putting on some muscles. There are many different ways, some better then others but most accomplish the same - loose weight and get stronger.

I am quite happy with my results thus far and really feeling good about myself and new found energy and "appearance".

I'd vote for slight diet adjustments and working out. Let us know what you end up doing and how you progressing.

7. 03-10-2011 08:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kimlin85 View Post
      1st FAQ
      2nd Amputation
      What she said.

8. 03-10-2011 09:36 PM #7
      focus on eating foods you make(the less pre-made stuff you take, the better it is to track your cals, sodium, fat, intake). make sure to take in the protein, carbs, and fats(gasp! yes, fats are ok!) that our body will need

find your caloric maintenance, shoot for 500 calories below that. track your calories. as long as you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

best of luck.

Vehicles
      v8 s4
      03-11-2011 08:38 AM #8
      swimming and walking are great places to start. IF youre a big guy, going out there and jogging is going to smoke your joints.

Resident poster and inspiration BedfordGLI dropped 100+ lbs just by lifting his ass off. I dont think he even did cardio, so it really depends on what you want to do. swimming is a great way to burn cals, but lifting raises your resting metabolic rate, and more muscle = more calories burned = filling out a shirt nicely. you seem to be on the right track. post your daily diet to have it critiqued.

03-11-2011 06:10 PM #9
      Whatever you use to lose diet, have a day off every 2 weeks. Yes, it will hinder your average weight loss but you'll win in the long run. I would have never gone this far without it. Anyway there is always something social happening this regularly.

11. Senior Member
      03-11-2011 06:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      swimming and walking are great places to start. IF youre a big guy, going out there and jogging is going to smoke your joints.

Resident poster and inspiration BedfordGLI dropped 100+ lbs just by lifting his ass off. I dont think he even did cardio, so it really depends on what you want to do. swimming is a great way to burn cals, but lifting raises your resting metabolic rate, and more muscle = more calories burned = filling out a shirt nicely. you seem to be on the right track. post your daily diet to have it critiqued.
      Note that large people who are active often get pretty strong even without specifically trying, because almost any activity effectively includes "weight training" (i.e. moving their body weight around).

Of course, fat loss, while desirable in many ways, reduces the effect of "automatic weight training" that comes with any activity, so maintaining or gaining strength at a lower body weight may take more specific effort to do so (e.g. doing more weight lifting and other resistance exercises).

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 2004 Allroad
      03-15-2011 09:22 AM #11
      1) eat real food. Nothing from a box or bag. Ideally, meat, eggs, and non starchy veggies (I.e. No potatoes) should be all you eat.

2) no nutritive drinks. No milk, no juice, no pop. Water, tea, and coffee ONLY.

3). Walk. An hour a day, five days a week.

4). Strength training. Push ups, pull ups (assisted with a chair) bodyweight squats, three sets to failure two to three times a week.

5) sprints, or tabata one to two times a week

6) no snacks.

7) when you are really dialled in, from a diet perspective, you can try fasts. One 24 hour fast a week helps. The lean gains method has worked well for me. I only eat between noon and eight PM.

Good luck.

13. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      v8 s4
      03-15-2011 10:31 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      Note that large people who are active often get pretty strong even without specifically trying, because almost any activity effectively includes "weight training" (i.e. moving their body weight around).

Of course, fat loss, while desirable in many ways, reduces the effect of "automatic weight training" that comes with any activity, so maintaining or gaining strength at a lower body weight may take more specific effort to do so (e.g. doing more weight lifting and other resistance exercises).
      i guess it depends on what you call 'pretty strong'.

Quote Originally Posted by lojasmo View Post
      1) eat real food. Nothing from a box or bag. Ideally, meat, eggs, and non starchy veggies (I.e. No potatoes) should be all you eat.

2) no nutritive drinks. No milk, no juice, no pop. Water, tea, and coffee ONLY.

3). Walk. An hour a day, five days a week.

4). Strength training. Push ups, pull ups (assisted with a chair) bodyweight squats, three sets to failure two to three times a week.

5) sprints, or tabata one to two times a week

6) no snacks.

7) when you are really dialled in, from a diet perspective, you can try fasts. One 24 hour fast a week helps. The lean gains method has worked well for me. I only eat between noon and eight PM.

Good luck.
      bodyweight squats really arent strength training. put some weight on a bar.

Also, fat kids sprinting puts a lot of strain on joints and leads to achey knees. hes better off walking/swimming/doing something low impact in the beginning imo.

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      03-15-2011 10:38 AM #13

Also, fat kids sprinting puts a lot of strain on joints and leads to achey knees. hes better off walking/swimming/doing something low impact in the beginning imo.
      agree on the running/sprinting. Swimming is definitely the way to go. In terms of using the body weight for workouts ... while weights help, its not always required. If I do body squats I am pretty worn out after 60+. Or the calve raises using stairs, 30+ sets of stairs with 10 reps on each stair. I always walk funny the next day

I guess its a combination of both that will work great, lower reps and more weight and switching it up to higher reps and lower weight (or no weight at all depending on workout). For me, I give special care to my legs (strongest part of my body in comparison due to being active when I was younger) and I always switch it up every week.

15. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      v8 s4
      03-15-2011 04:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by chaugner View Post
      agree on the running/sprinting. Swimming is definitely the way to go. In terms of using the body weight for workouts ... while weights help, its not always required. If I do body squats I am pretty worn out after 60+. Or the calve raises using stairs, 30+ sets of stairs with 10 reps on each stair. I always walk funny the next day

I guess its a combination of both that will work great, lower reps and more weight and switching it up to higher reps and lower weight (or no weight at all depending on workout). For me, I give special care to my legs (strongest part of my body in comparison due to being active when I was younger) and I always switch it up every week.
      it depends on your goal, but no/low weight and high reps doesnt equal lean, nor does high weight low reps equal bulky.

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 2004 Allroad
      03-18-2011 10:40 AM #15
      i guess it depends on what you call 'pretty strong'.

Sure, but hill lunge walking, tabata on a bike. Aything that causes intervals of tachycardia.

Tabata type exercise is invaluable when trying to lose weight. I lost at least forty pounds and four inches from my waist in fifteen months by doing what I describe. Te light strength training is only to prevent muscle loss.

03-18-2011 04:05 PM #16
      I managed to drop 14 lbs in 5 weeks by changing my diet. No more sugar in my diet, no unhealthy snack i.e chips, ice cream.
      I started this week going to the gym, so my progress should speed up

18. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      v8 s4
      03-18-2011 04:10 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotion View Post
      I managed to drop 14 lbs in 5 weeks by changing my diet. No more sugar in my diet, no unhealthy snack i.e chips, ice cream.
      I started this week going to the gym, so my progress should speed up
      alot of that was just bloat from the salt and carbs, its going to slow down. dont lose patience.

19. 09-30-2019 02:18 PM #18
      You can lose your weight effectively and prior by utilizing KetoFit supplements. It is the best supplements, this item is totally natural and has no effects by any time of the imagination. It is a perfect fat killer which is going to give you the body you've constantly wished for.