VWVortex.com - Cincinnati Police to DONKS: We aren't tolerating your unsafe 'hood rides!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Police to DONKS: We aren't tolerating your unsafe 'hood rides!

04-06-2011 02:11 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Jader Pack View Post
      I highly doubt "most" stanced cars have upgraded brakes. The "performance" springs and shocks they have may be stiffer (which does NOT mean better performing), but they're still working on non-optimal suspension geometry.

Brakes are super powerful. The extra unsprung weight is not going to turn them into unstoppable juggernauts. Yes, they're higher which is less than optimal, but still perfectly safe for street usage... just like mad stancing.
      Thank you.
      2013 Miata Club

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      04-06-2011 02:12 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Cruising slow is just as dangerous as going fast, as it provides dangers to other fast moving vehicles.
      Are other vehicles no longer required to ensure that they don't run into things? It doesn't matter what it is going slower than you... mail truck, guy looking for a store, blonde on a cell phone, cyclist, drunk pedestrian, damaged vehicle, dude driving with a mattress on his roof, donk cruisin' the strip looking for tail... you hit it, you're a bad driver.

Vehicles
      '03 BMW 330i
      04-06-2011 02:14 AM #153
      First they came for the donks
      and I didn't speak out because I didn't drive a donk...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      04-06-2011 02:20 AM #154
      You doubt it? Since when have you seen an ACTUAL stanced car without at least $5 grand into it?
      The ability of a car to perform is not simply a sum of its parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

04-06-2011 02:41 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW01 View Post
      Not even close.

MOST "stanced" cars upgrade the brakes to OE+ or aftermarket bigger brakes and include performance springs/shocks to embrace the whole package.
      lol wut? You can have the baddest carbon brakes straight of an Enzo, it doesn't mean jack **** when your contact patch is 1/3 the size it would otherwise be, and partially the sidewall

04-06-2011 03:50 AM #156
      Just marking to read the argument later. I'm sure some are reasonably safe but I find it hard to believe a small bolt patterned 5 bolt setup from 20+ years ago has the ability to support the kind of weight a 20"+ wheel and tire combo has.

Vehicles
      04-06-2011 04:10 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by Cubster View Post
      Just marking to read the argument later. I'm sure some are reasonably safe but I find it hard to believe a small bolt patterned 5 bolt setup from 20+ years ago has the ability to support the kind of weight a 20"+ wheel and tire combo has.
      Do you think such a car could stop and go with 5 full-grown men and cargo in the trunk? Because I have a hard time believing a hundred pounds of unsprung weight is worse than a fully-loaded car.

Brakes are unbelievably powerful. Yeah, the stopping distance is probably negatively affected. It's still not undriveable, and no more unsafe than the sub-optimal handling and reduced contact patches stanced cars have.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      04-06-2011 04:29 AM #158
      Do you think such a car could stop and go with 5 full-grown men and cargo in the trunk? Because I have a hard time believing a hundred pounds of unsprung weight is worse than a fully-loaded car.

Brakes are unbelievably powerful. Yeah, the stopping distance is probably negatively affected. It's still not undriveable, and no more unsafe than the sub-optimal handling and reduced contact patches stanced cars have.
      I agree with you as far as brakes are concerned, but increasing the overall diameter of the setup, along with various issues related to wheel width can wreak havoc on several bearings in the suspension. I doubt it would break anything outright, but it would cause parts to wear out faster.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      04-06-2011 04:41 AM #159
      I can send the TÜV over.....
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      04-06-2011 04:55 AM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      I agree with you as far as brakes are concerned, but increasing the overall diameter of the setup, along with various issues related to wheel width can wreak havoc on several bearings in the suspension. I doubt it would break anything outright, but it would cause parts to wear out faster.
      Probably, but that's hardly the menace some are making it out to be.

12. 04-06-2011 05:44 AM #161

if they outlaw these cars then what next? properly done they are no more unsafe than anything else modded and put on the street. to each their own, you people with crap to say about something else likes suck at life. its their car, if they want to raise it let them do so on their own dollar, blood, sweat and tears. whether its raised cars or trucks its none of your business as long as they arent causing problems.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      04-06-2011 06:32 AM #162
      I highly doubt "most" stanced cars have upgraded brakes. The "performance" springs and shocks they have may be stiffer (which does NOT mean better performing), but they're still working on non-optimal suspension geometry.
      I don't know of a single soul that didn't upgrade their brakes to at least better pads and rotors when they did their cars.

Install springs or shocks? Guess what? ALIGNMENT!
      Your logic and defense of this douchebaggery is dumb.
      RIP Cosmic TDI

04-06-2011 06:38 AM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      The ability of a car to perform is not simply a sum of its parts.
      In a lot of cases it is, and in a lot of cases its not. Im saying the average person that actually spends the time and money to make a quality "stanced" car almost always has invested a large amount on parts that improve braking and handling.

15. 04-06-2011 08:14 AM #164
      In a lot of cases it is, and in a lot of cases its not. Im saying the average person that actually spends the time and money to make a quality "stanced" car almost always has invested a large amount on parts that improve braking and handling.
      This x 1000.

You have to be an absolute idiot to argue that the percentage of "stanced" cars with upgraded suspension and braking components does not dwarf the percentage of "donks" that are equally equipped. Whether it be a massive 8-piston big brake kit or a set of upgraded pads and rotors, top of the line coilover system or a simple sport spring and shock combo, these upgrades are at the top of almost every "stanced" owners list of modifications.

The same thing just cannot be said about these donks. How many times have you seen a 15" big brake kit peeking through the spokes of some 28 inch rims as they roll by? Or how about a lift kit specifically designed to fit their 20+ year old model vehicle so they can fit those gigantic wheels properly and still handle appropriately? Maybe I just missed it in every single picture I've ever seen and every donk I've had the pleasure of witnessing in person. Yet you would be hard pressed to pick up any decent car magazine on the rack featuring a stanced car that isn't sporting an upgraded braking system along with upgraded suspension components that are more than capable of handling the car safely.

Wait a minute, that's potentially 5-10 thousand dollars wasted on improved braking and handling. Maybe we should reference the top of the donk list of priority upgrades and find we could better use that money to chrome our entire undercarriage or get that classy multi-color paint job with the massive skittles candy logo graphic.

Give it a rest there is no comparison.

16. Banned
      04-06-2011 08:23 AM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I can send the TÜV over.....
      Sometimes I think they could do us some good over here.

04-06-2011 08:32 AM #166

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      04-06-2011 08:41 AM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. Sandurz View Post
      You poke the cops enough, they are gonna poke back.
      I think it's pretty cool that the cops are on Facebook, too.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      04-06-2011 09:48 AM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Honestly, this is a slippery slope they are on. The city better be careful.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Or what?
      Local Government will be accused of profiling, racism, and before you know it, Al Sharpton will be all over the TV declaring war on Ohio and the City of Cincinnati.

Ever read the articles about Newport claiming the FDA proposed ban on menthol cigarettes was "racist?" The deck is stacked with race cards these days, and everyone is playing them.

Let's say for argument's sake that 90% of the DONKs in Cincinnati were filled with criminals and stolen property. It makes sense to pull them all over, and weed out the innocent 10%. While true, you still can't declare war on one type of vehicle unless you are fair about it.

Headlight height is one way to do it. Tires poking out of wheelwells is maybe another? Look at it on paper and pass some reasonable vehicle requirements, and be prepared to go after other cars that violate them. Don't just use it as an excuse to pull over and search a DONK. If you are going to impound a dirty DONK, then you need to impound everything that violates what ever rules they come up with.

Don't truck registrations keep brodozers and others (like that F-650) on the roads in some states?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      04-06-2011 09:55 AM #170
      Your "stanced" cars are illegal, regardless of your untenable conclusion that "most" are done "right". It's amusing to see the people who are saying that donks should be profiled dance to justify why their particular fetish is a decent and moral one.

Vehicles
      gray hare.
      04-06-2011 09:59 AM #171
      Why suddenly go through all of that trouble randomly impounding vehicles?

Why not wait until yearly state inspections?

It isn't that big a deal...

04-06-2011 09:59 AM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. Sandurz View Post
      Oh, and those that wanna cry foul for the black community, come to cincy and see how OTR instigates the cops and how they react. You poke the cops enough, they are gonna poke back.
      What bull****. Cincinnati has a long and sordid history of bad race relations, going back to before the Civil War. This is just a modern example of the problem.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-06-2011 10:13 AM #173
      Sad. I can understand not wanting donks around for safety reasons but they should have warned the community and worked with the community about solving the problem rather than just impounding vehicles. And this just stinks of modern day racism hiding behind the veil of road safety.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      04-06-2011 10:17 AM #174
      how did this turn into another ****ing Stance discussion!?

Vehicles
      Beige hybrid fancy Toyota and other fancy dumb Toyotas
      04-06-2011 10:24 AM #175
      They should have a donk protest/sit in at City Hall and park all over. That would be hilarious

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast