VWVortex.com - Open source ECU tuning
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 23 of 23

    Thread: Open source ECU tuning

    1. Member DMVDUB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2010
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      5,199
      Vehicles
      German, American, Jap'erican
      05-11-2011 09:43 PM #1
      Some people around here are familiar with such programs as Nefmoto, Tunerpro and Winols. I'd like to know who's out there tuning their own ECU with these tools. I've gotten real interested in manipulating some off the shelf tunes I have and I'm sure there's others out there who would be interested in knowing that they can design their own tune (with proper knowledge) and the hardware / SW.

      As for hardware all you need is a Vagcom cable that works in "dumb" mode

      For Software you can use Nefmoto Desktop to read your current tune, in Winols or Tunerpro you can modify it and with Nefmoto flash your new tune into the ECU.

      There are also many index's and guides showing what each map on the ECU does and how to adjust it.

      Of course you would need to make a Base copy in the case you damage the tune. Also Messing with it without doing some reading first could get you in some issues.

      The thing is all the common tunes on the market are only blocked by a DO NOT READ sign randomly thrown about the file. All you need to do is remove these and you can change the values you wish.

      Does anyone around here have any files they've made?

      Why can't we start trading some tune's like the DSM and SUBARU enthusiasts?

      We DO have the tools, and we have alot of capable people around here. Why aren't we a part of the open source tuning movement?
      PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON
      *THE PANDIT PROJECT(click me!)

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member All_Euro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2008
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      1,262
      Vehicles
      05' VW GLI 4motion, 04’ A4 Avant quattro
      05-11-2011 10:15 PM #2
      I've downloaded Nefmoto and Tunerpro but haven't had a chance to play with them yet... would love to hear from people who are already using these programs as well
      Work - Houzz / linkedin
      Play - Haldex Swap

    4. 05-12-2011 04:56 AM #3
      You likely won't be able to modify your current tune since most of tuners move their maps around so standard ECU definitions do not work. I doubt you are capable of disassembling the code on your own and seeing what happened.

      Some of them (not all, trust me...and here comes the brilliance of the tuner) are even adding custom exec code so you can not transfer flash from one ECU to another. Those less smart ones use epoxy to protect their "chip". I guess they did not hear about boot mode

      So far I think APR has some of the most advanced calibrating tools in the VAG tuning scene. Althought some germans are going crazy with some stuff but it's hard to know what they do since they never visit public english forums and it's hard to understand them in german (i saw for example boost, oil temperature, coolant temperature display in MFI which is hardcoded into clusters eeprom etc).

      Here is patent document APR issued: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7047128.pdf
      You can see their basic principles in that document.

      ps: none of these tools are open source.
      Last edited by mescaline; 05-12-2011 at 05:42 AM.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2004
      Location
      Stanceville
      Posts
      4,125
      Vehicles
      94 Jetta scrapin pinch welds
      05-12-2011 04:47 PM #4
      All these tools:




      I'd love an open source tool. Much like my cable for my Impreza.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2008
      Location
      Johannesburg, South Africa
      Posts
      446
      Vehicles
      2006, SEAT, IBIZA CUPRA
      05-13-2011 05:12 AM #5
      Will be slightly easier on ME7.x as you can get a DAMOS, make the changes, and then get someone like Andy Whittaker to calculate the checksum...Do you trust your tuning skills though
      1.8T nutter and UNITRONIC dealer
      5857 2.0L Ibiza CUPRA (6L) with some flavour
      Piping by FORGE, Hardware by CTS, Tuning by UNITRONIC

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2004
      Location
      Stanceville
      Posts
      4,125
      Vehicles
      94 Jetta scrapin pinch welds
      05-13-2011 08:43 AM #6
      I buy a chip tune for emissions, then likely standalone to make the car right.

      I'm not sure I trust any of those guys anymore.

    9. Member DMVDUB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2010
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      5,199
      Vehicles
      German, American, Jap'erican
      05-13-2011 10:37 AM #7
      No, I don't trust "my" tuning skills. But other people have done it. One of them being DJGONZO he makes his own tune and from what I hear it's pretty damn good.

      All you need is someone who can understand the HEX editor software. TunerPro gives you 2d and 3d maps of the maps too.

      I have no intention of "pirating" anyones tune. I just think using my old Unitronic K04 ECU to pull the file and look over it would be a good starting point.

      The best starting point would be an open source tune that's been written for people to change. Something base, comparable to a stg1 tune, that can be manipulated a little at a time.

      I also am not worried about messing anything up since you can copy the file before you change any values. Hardware will be fine, that's what VC and gauges are for.
      PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON
      *THE PANDIT PROJECT(click me!)

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2004
      Location
      Stanceville
      Posts
      4,125
      Vehicles
      94 Jetta scrapin pinch welds
      05-13-2011 11:06 AM #8
      I have yet to see a valid breakdown of the rom and memory alignment to map values/translations.


      That kind of stuff? I hope you have eleventy thousand hours of freetime. Not worth it.

    11. 05-13-2011 11:07 AM #9
      i highly doubt you are gonna get into and look at the uni file

      if you want open source then get a vehicle that has it available

      but it seems to me you really like to reinvent the wheel dont you?
      Joosey - DubAudi - Banchwerks - ForceFed Engineering - HighwayStar

      PVW 9/11

      Quote Originally Posted by uzi did it View Post
      you can compare me to kobe bryant of the vw world. i'm just that good.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2009
      Location
      Kuwait
      Posts
      413
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT Quattro LMNS Edition , 2004 R32 4motion DSG
      05-13-2011 11:16 AM #10
      i would suggest pulling the OEM map and compare it to conservitve tuned map ( stg1 preferrably)
      i wish i had my original ECU map to pass to you
      "still i got the EPPROM in my hand and EMCS in ecu box"

      always wished we could get an open source thingy for us

    13. Member DMVDUB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2010
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      5,199
      Vehicles
      German, American, Jap'erican
      05-13-2011 11:32 AM #11
      I'm guessing the whole Nefmoto website and DJGONZO are "reinventing" the wheel too.

      I don't suggest that I'll be able to do anything with these maps, I do though think there are capable people out there. Actually I know there is.
      PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON
      *THE PANDIT PROJECT(click me!)

    14. 05-13-2011 12:06 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DMVDUB View Post
      I have no intention of "pirating" anyones tune. I just think using my old Unitronic K04 ECU to pull the file and look over it would be a good starting point.
      There is where you're going to have issues.

      The tuning companys have read/write protection in the tune, And they tend to scramble the maps around making the Definition files and addresses provided in a stock file useless.

      Its a lot more work to deal with a tuned file, then it is with a known stock file.

    15. 05-13-2011 12:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      I have yet to see a valid breakdown of the rom and memory alignment to map values/translations.


      That kind of stuff? I hope you have eleventy thousand hours of freetime. Not worth it.
      There are actually lots of ECU definitions publically available.

    16. 05-13-2011 12:48 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ModsTTand View Post
      i would suggest pulling the OEM map and compare it to conservitve tuned map ( stg1 preferrably)
      i wish i had my original ECU map to pass to you
      "still i got the EPPROM in my hand and EMCS in ecu box"

      always wished we could get an open source thingy for us
      What is your ECU number?

    17. Banned reflected's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2007
      Location
      greensboro nc
      Posts
      1,932
      Vehicles
      ´01 audi a4 1.8t, ´11 golf 4dr tdi, ´05 mk4 jetta tdi, ´83 rabbit, ´09 tiguan 4motion
      05-13-2011 12:52 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mescaline View Post
      You likely won't be able to modify your current tune since most of tuners move their maps around so standard ECU definitions do not work. I doubt you are capable of disassembling the code on your own and seeing what happened.

      Some of them (not all, trust me...and here comes the brilliance of the tuner) are even adding custom exec code so you can not transfer flash from one ECU to another. Those less smart ones use epoxy to protect their "chip". I guess they did not hear about boot mode

      So far I think APR has some of the most advanced calibrating tools in the VAG tuning scene. Althought some germans are going crazy with some stuff but it's hard to know what they do since they never visit public english forums and it's hard to understand them in german (i saw for example boost, oil temperature, coolant temperature display in MFI which is hardcoded into clusters eeprom etc).

      Here is patent document APR issued: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7047128.pdf
      You can see their basic principles in that document.

      ps: none of these tools are open source.
      exactly what this guy said. i have yet to defeat an apr tune. bastards. lol. read and write fine, but no editing.

      unitronic = easily pwned.

      and no, none of those tools are open source. they are all licensed tools. except for the nefmoto flasher, even its just freeware though. tony never released the source.

      just for fun:







      Last edited by reflected; 05-13-2011 at 12:56 PM.

    18. 05-13-2011 12:59 PM #16
      APR has some of the most capable people when it comes to calibrating ECUs hands down. Most of other tuners take shortcuts, APR does it properly.

    19. 05-13-2011 01:08 PM #17
      haha, i was wondering how long it would take reflected to drop in..

    20. Member elRey's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2001
      Posts
      8,024
      Vehicles
      16vt 2.0L MK4 Jetta Wagon | B6 A4 Avant
      05-13-2011 01:31 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by AmIdYfReAk View Post
      haha, i was wondering how long it would take reflected to drop in..
      reflected = the man

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2004
      Location
      Stanceville
      Posts
      4,125
      Vehicles
      94 Jetta scrapin pinch welds
      05-13-2011 02:19 PM #19
      Where are these definitions?

      I'd punt an infant to be able to actually modify my motronic ECU's myself.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2004
      Location
      Stanceville
      Posts
      4,125
      Vehicles
      94 Jetta scrapin pinch welds
      05-13-2011 02:29 PM #20
      Reflected, crack open the APR flash software in your hex editor. There is an unlimited mode floating around in that code which would likely allow you to flash anything............


      Food for thought. I had that binary apart a while ago poking around and then lost interest/time.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2009
      Location
      Kuwait
      Posts
      413
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT Quattro LMNS Edition , 2004 R32 4motion DSG
      05-13-2011 07:16 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by mescaline View Post
      What is your ECU number?
      Audi TT EURO MY2002 1.8T 225HP Quattro 8N0906018AH S0004

      APR EMCS : Audi_TT_EURO_MY2002_1.8T_225HP_Quattro_8N0906018AH _S0004_Stages_1,2_V1.1

    24. 09-19-2019 11:06 PM #22
      the ecm is running an strait executable... but would be funny if it ran a linux that interacts and has binary authorization settings CHMOD 644, 744 .... tuners see these code standards all the time and save the .exe to change back anything for any reason

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •