VWVortex.com - Why did (do?) some vehicles have different keys for the doors and ignition?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Why did (do?) some vehicles have different keys for the doors and ignition?

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-27-2011 10:14 PM #1
      I was staring at the keys for my F-150 today and was thinking.. why?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2007 Buick LaCrosse CX, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      05-27-2011 10:22 PM #2
      GM used to advertise this as an anti-theft feature! Probably not a very effective one, but I guess it gave them some way to respond to the fact that their '70s and '80s cars were so easy to steal. Once they switched to the PASSKey system (chipped keys) in the '90s, they got rid of the dual keys.

^^ Every car I've owned had a pair just like those. I even have a vintage "Delta 88" fob keyring for my current set, like the ones they used to sell on big racks at the parts stores back in the day

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Thousands of hubcaps in stock at www.rimtrim.com | Pontiac Project Thread

Vehicles
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      05-27-2011 10:29 PM #3
      I've wondered the same thing myself.

Could you imagine if they still did this with today's keys the size of bar of soap?
      Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

What you get isn't always what you see.

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-27-2011 10:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rimtrim View Post
      GM used to advertise this as an anti-theft feature! Probably not a very effective one, but I guess it gave them some way to respond to the fact that their '70s and '80s cars were so easy to steal. Once they switched to the PASSKey system (chipped keys) in the '90s, they got rid of the dual keys.

^^ Every car I've owned had a pair just like those. I even have a vintage "Delta 88" fob keyring for my current set, like the ones they used to sell on big racks at the parts stores back in the day

-Andrew L
      A security device? Really?
      I guess they never thought about a person trying to get in the car quickly fumbling with the keys trying to grab the correct door and ignition keys...

I just figured it had something to do with the tech of the time, and maybe they wanted to keep the ignition key different than the doors because using the same key for both might wear it out sooner (this was before keyless entry). (shrug)

6. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      05-27-2011 10:46 PM #5
      Early Porsche cars (at least the 356) were issued 3 keys. One for the doors/ignition, one for the gear shift lock (security feature), and one for the glove box.

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '65 Rambler Classic, '08 Outback
      05-27-2011 10:52 PM #6
      LOL GM keys. I don't think I even have an original ignition or door key for my '78 Pontiac. One time I lost my only set, and as luck would have it my little brother had a ton of keys that he used to collect when he was little. The 3rd one I tried started the car! I also found one that worked in the doors. I also buy and sell some glove box latches for late 90's GM cars. If I have one of the "dual cut" (or whatever the term is) keys from any GM car from that era, chances are I can get it to work perfectly in one of the dozen or so latches I have laying around. It's funny selling a Buick latch with a Chevy key.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      05-27-2011 11:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by duke of chucchinchilla View Post
      Early Porsche cars (at least the 356) were issued 3 keys. One for the doors/ignition, one for the gear shift lock (security feature), and one for the glove box.
      Along those lines, two VWs of the same era:

Volkswagen Cabriolet: 1 key for all door locks + ignition + glove box, different key for gas cap
      Volkswagen Vanagon: 1 key for all door locks + ignition + gas cap, different key for glove box
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      05-27-2011 11:13 PM #8
      Every one of my cars have three keys.

Vans - door/ignition, glove box, gas cap
      Jag - Door, ignition, trunk/glovebox
      Mini - Door, ignition, trunk
      Bike - ignition, helmet lock, disk lock

10. Banned
      05-28-2011 10:39 AM #9
      I have this on my Audi, but not from factory. My keyless entry broke, and the ignition key hole broke at one point, so we had to get a new one. So now, I use the old pattern to unlock the car and the new one to start it.

Now if only I could get that to work on my Integra...

11. 05-28-2011 01:43 PM #10
      My corrado has this too. One key to unlock it/glove box and one key to start it.

I like it that way. I can tell someone to "go get something out of my car" without fear of them (for some reason) stealing it.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T manual
      05-28-2011 02:51 PM #11
      GM used to advertise this as an anti-theft feature! Probably not a very effective one, but I guess it gave them some way to respond to the fact that their '70s and '80s cars were so easy to steal.
      The story I heard is that GM used such a limited number of unique key patterns back then that the different door and ingition keys were used to reduce the chance that someone would coincidentally have the same key pattern as you, and unintentionally (or not!) get in and drive away with the wrong car.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-28-2011 03:09 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by corradokreep View Post
      My corrado has this too. One key to unlock it/glove box and one key to start it.

I like it that way. I can tell someone to "go get something out of my car" without fear of them (for some reason) stealing it.
      You must have awesome friends.

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-28-2011 03:12 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      The story I heard is that GM used such a limited number of unique key patterns back then that the different door and ingition keys were used to reduce the chance that someone would coincidentally have the same key pattern as you, and unintentionally (or not!) get in and drive away with the wrong car.
      Ok. Now that does make sense.-

On that note- I know people that walked up to their vehicle in a parking lot, used the keyless entry to open the door, got in, then realized the key would not work on the ignition- then key realize they are not in their car.
      So even keyless entry has a limited number of codes.. or at least they did back in the 90s (when that happened).

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      05-28-2011 03:34 PM #14
      Andrew, seriously, if someone is going to have a weird GM comment, it is you.

Fords were like that for years. I would leave the house with the ignition key, and not be able to get in to the car. Imagine calling your parents to let you into the car.....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett, BRZlord

16. Member
      Vehicles
      00' GLX VR6 GTI (rip) 90' Golf ABA <3
      05-28-2011 04:29 PM #15
      Since i built my car and everything is aftermarket i now have 5 keys for it. Kind of a pain but i try not to let little things like that bother me..its just a MK2 afterall

Ignition
      Drivers door
      Passenger door
      Hatch
      Glovebox
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      This forum is so littered with VR6 swap threads that, statistically, one of your 26 posts should have already been in one.
      Quote Originally Posted by stkshftgti View Post
      This shouldn't be funny, it really really shouldn't.... it is, but it should not be.

I'm too ehstupid to make up my own mind!

17. Member green 2.slow machine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus SVT
      05-28-2011 04:34 PM #16

-Andrew L
      I had a '94 Roadmaster with the PASSKey chip in the ignition key. Buick still saw fit use a separate key for the door.

Vehicles
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo, Rennsemmel, Alfa mit Identitätskrise und BusBus.
      05-28-2011 04:43 PM #17
      My Fiat has 3 keys, one for the ignition, one for the passenger door and one for the driver's door and boot lid. But I think it's because they didn't have enough locks with the sam ecode