The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School me on the 07 Accord EX-L, 6-Speed

1. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Accord EX-L (6-6 sedan)
      10-29-2011 08:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      For some reason I find myself wanting a sedan exactly as pictured, over the coupe.

Somewhat related to the OP's request, my dad bought his '04 V6 EX coupe brand new, but it is a 5spd auto. No issues other than him having to replace the rear main seal and the auto trans.... The car drives excellent outside of that and gives decent mileage.
      The one I picked up is the same as pictured. The sedan in Alabaster Silver (I think it is called). Too bad it is currently covered in snow. I wanted to at least give the interior a good detailing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      10-29-2011 08:28 PM #27
      Most folks who own them are younger college grads, usually in a tech-field who would have normally driven a Prelude previously. We really don't have many problems with the 6spd, but when the clutch wears out, it's COMPLETELY USELESS.

What will break though:
      - door lock actuators
      - front lower control arm bushings
      - power steering pump/leakage/high-pressure line
      - front engine mount
      - rear bank catalyst failure after 100k

A unique piece to this car is the intake runner thingy (IMT) that usually doesn't work correctly after an EGR repair. Make sure whomever works on the car knows about the IMT system and it's function.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Vehicles
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
      10-29-2011 08:35 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by A2L90E View Post
      The one I picked up is the same as pictured. The sedan in Alabaster Silver (I think it is called). Too bad it is currently covered in snow. I wanted to at least give the interior a good detailing.
      Snow in Jersey already? Damn, I better put away my summer car soon.

5. Member
      10-29-2011 10:08 PM #29
      if youre checking out coupes (sorry didnt read through the thread) you can also check out the 2003 CL-S with the 6spd.

Vehicles
      '85 VW Golf & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      10-29-2011 10:31 PM #30
      ^ A CL-S with the 6-speed is a nice car, but not too easy to find. It would have the higher output J32-A2 and limited slip diff, among other things.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2011 10:38 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post
      Interesting analysis. So, are CRV owner's typically surburbanite married couple's who have 2 kids, a 350,000 mortgage and make 120,000 annually combined?

Too arbitrary?

Anyway these cars are ****ing awesome. A Honda with torque is possible I guess. Very smooth motor, great 6 speed transmission. Just a very underrated car. Reliable as they come.

I have a 7th gen Accord sedan as my daily, but I chose the 4 cyl due to better gas mileage and a timing chain. Didn't want to deal with replacing the belt on the V6.
      Couple I bought it from:
      - Married
      - 2 kids
      - Make at least 120k
      - Not sure about the mortgage

....They bought a CRV to replace their Accord

8. Member
      Vehicles
      18 Ara Blue S3, 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      10-30-2011 12:15 AM #32
      When I worked at the honda dealership, 06-07 V-6 6-speed ex-l sedan was one of my favorite cars. So much so I talked my gram to upgrade from her 96 maxima to an 06 V-6 auto EX-L. Even the autos are not that bad to drive.
      18 Audi S3 Ara Blue, magma red interior
      91 GMC Syclone-build in process
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      08 Duramax- Toy rig (474hp, 725ft-lbs)

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      10-30-2011 01:35 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Most folks who own them are younger college grads, usually in a tech-field who would have normally driven a Prelude previously. We really don't have many problems with the 6spd, but when the clutch wears out, it's COMPLETELY USELESS.

What will break though:
      - door lock actuators
      - front engine mount

A unique piece to this car is the intake runner thingy (IMT) that usually doesn't work correctly after an EGR repair. Make sure whomever works on the car knows about the IMT system and it's function.
      You just scared me from looking at these. Didn't know Honda reliability was overrated.

Vehicles
      Jeep Wrangler
      10-30-2011 01:44 AM #34
      Andy also works for a Honda dealer. That's also a damn short list.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      10-30-2011 10:59 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      ^ A CL-S with the 6-speed is a nice car, but not too easy to find. It would have the higher output J32-A2 and limited slip diff, among other things.
      Took me about 60 days of looking to find one that wasn't beat to hell and less than a 12 hour drive back home
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ‘18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab
      ‘09 997TT 6MT: 65mm VTGs, 730 whp E85
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

12. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      10-30-2011 11:11 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      You just scared me from looking at these. Didn't know Honda reliability was overrated.
      As stated, these items are fairly common for all makes of cars. The Accord 6spd is one of our best cars we currently service.

Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post
      Too arbitrary?
      Since Honda makes us watch new model introduction videos, and in the video they stated that the Accord 6spd was to replace the Prelude. I think it's a fairly safe to assume that tech-geeks who previously had the most VTAK on the block, are now growing up (somewhat).

13. 10-30-2011 12:38 PM #37
      I really wish my parents bought a an EX-L 6spd, instead they have a base model LX 5 spd. Though it drives really well and still has good pickup, I just hate the hubcaps on it. The only issue it has had recently was there was acid leaking from the battery and it corroded the battery cable, it seems like the intake has to be removed to change the cable.

14. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      10-30-2011 03:26 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      it seems like the intake has to be removed to change the cable.
      That it does.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      11-14-2011 02:34 PM #39
      UPDATE:

So I have driven the car for approximately 500 miles and have been pleased to date. A few items to note:

- I like the gearbox. Throws are crisp. It has the known Honda 3rd gear issue that I've read can be rectified by changing the gearbox oil. Once it warms up it is OK.
      - The clutch is not the best but I didn't expect much from a Honda Accord.
      - The car is amazingly quiet and smooth at all speeds.
      - The driver's seat is very comfortable. All controls are laid out nicely and are easy to read.
      - MPG has been around 26 with mixed driving. It appears the speedo is a few MPH too fast as well.
      - The steering feel is great both on the highway and on the backroads. I had it up to well over 90 MPH this weekend (trying to catch up to an SLS AMG on rt. 78 ) and she was smooth and felt very stable.

I've changed the air filter and cabin filter this past weekend and hope to change the oil before winter sets in. I may also get 4 new tires as there are some great deals to be had this time of year. The stock Michelines are almost down to the wear indicators.

Overall I have been very pleased about the purchase. Thanks to all for the advice/thoughts/opinions on the car.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      12-24-2011 07:05 PM #40
      UPDATE:

So I have driven the car for approximately 500 miles and have been pleased to date. A few items to note:

- I like the gearbox. Throws are crisp. It has the known Honda 3rd gear issue that I've read can be rectified by changing the gearbox oil. Once it warms up it is OK.
      - The clutch is not the best but I didn't expect much from a Honda Accord.
      - The car is amazingly quiet and smooth at all speeds.
      - The driver's seat is very comfortable. All controls are laid out nicely and are easy to read.
      - MPG has been around 26 with mixed driving. It appears the speedo is a few MPH too fast as well.
      - The steering feel is great both on the highway and on the backroads. I had it up to well over 90 MPH this weekend (trying to catch up to an SLS AMG on rt. 78 ) and she was smooth and felt very stable.

I've changed the air filter and cabin filter this past weekend and hope to change the oil before winter sets in. I may also get 4 new tires as there are some great deals to be had this time of year. The stock Michelines are almost down to the wear indicators.

Overall I have been very pleased about the purchase. Thanks to all for the advice/thoughts/opinions on the car.
      Thanks for the follow up.

What is the 3rd gear issue?
      mujjuman

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-24-2011 07:45 PM #41
      I went to test drive one (an 06, 5 speed ex) and thought it was a really nice car. It was smooth, responsive, powerful, relatively fun to drive... The only reason I didn't get it was because their was something wrong with the clutch and their mechanics said nothing was wrong with it

The clutch pedal would chatter violently as you let it out. I don't know how anybody can think that's normal.

18. 12-24-2011 11:05 PM #42

What will break though:
      - door lock actuators
      - front engine mount

as stated above, these are relatively minor quirks in the automotive world. if any car's clutch burns out, any such car is useless. if i was an older fart with sour knees and a bad back, i would be looking at a 6speed v6 coupe, but for now, an mr2 fits the bill.
      Last edited by DrFrisker; 12-24-2011 at 11:10 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      Dude, its the internet. Everyone trolls everyone. if you get butthurt, go buy some preparation H or troll back.

Vehicles
      2000 Golf GLS
      12-24-2011 11:23 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      I went to test drive one (an 06, 5 speed ex) and thought it was a really nice car. It was smooth, responsive, powerful, relatively fun to drive... The only reason I didn't get it was because their was something wrong with the clutch and their mechanics said nothing was wrong with it

The clutch pedal would chatter violently as you let it out. I don't know how anybody can think that's normal.
      Had a CR-V come into our shop making such a noise once before, the most awful thing I ever heard. There is def something wrong...those people are idiots and trying to dump that car lol

20. 12-24-2011 11:24 PM #44

I should post up all the stuff that broke on both my late model VW's, but the fanboi denial is strong.

Vehicles
      [+7560 post] 07,13
      12-24-2011 11:26 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post

3rd gear grind, my buddy picked up an 06 Accord 6 speed v6 trim with 80k and within the first 10k of owning it the clutch started to slip.

Went to honda(bought it CPO w/ remaining warranty left) and they denied the warranty at first but finally agreed to go half on a "brand new" transmission and after having it replaced 3rd gear still grinds, but not as bad. First he replaced the transmission fluid with Amsoil syncromesh which solved it at first but the 3rd gear grind came back and he finally replaced it with GM transmission fluid which has greatly reduced the grinding issue(even more so than the synchromesh did).

Also having less than 20k on the brand new assembly the clutch is starting to slip again, now I know driving factor can be attributed to it but isnt it still early for the transmission to be slipping after replacement?

ps-other than the transmission fiasco my buddy's Accord has been dead reliable, and as of right now he's at 106k and getting ready to get the timing belt replaced
      Quote Originally Posted by Scottie2LO View Post
      I may or may not have slapped a cougar outside seacrits at 230am
      [Alex @ AllesGute

22. Member
      Vehicles
      93 SLC, another 93 SLC, 88 Jetta Coupe, 20th, 04 Accord Coupe V6 6MT, 81 K5 Blazer, 08 GTI
      12-24-2011 11:45 PM #46
      What will break though:
      - door lock actuators
      - front engine mount

I have an 04 v6 6mt with 120k

It is a reliable car. But fun and torquey it is not. I find it quick but it really just does not put a smile on my face at all. Mine is stock except for a short shifter and HFP suspension which I think may actually come factory with the 6speed. The front engine mount is shot and I recently had to replace the power steering line that was a pita and it appears that the pump went out with it.

My take is that it is of better quality than any vw I have had but is just a bland boring driving car even with the v6, 6 speed, and short shifter.

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      12-25-2011 01:34 AM #47
      It's all relative. We bought an SUV, so the accord feels sporty now!

We just did the timing belt, adjusted valves, rear brakes, filters, and the list goes on. I threw on a TL-s rear swaybar and it's good to go.

24. 12-25-2011 02:01 AM #48
      I owned the exact car described here, 07 EXL 6mt sedan, silver, no nav. I stalked Honda dealers for weeks in mid 2006 to find one then bought it immediately.

I traded it in on my 08 GTI after 2 years and 34k miles. I liked the idea of the car more than the experience itself. It was unquestionably fast, efficient on the highway, and comfortable. However the 3rd gear issue (yes, I changed to GM synchromesh which did temporarily solve the problem) and the fact that the car needed the steering rack replaced and no one could find parts to fix it combined with the fact that it just wasn't that much fun caused me to make the trade. I figured if I was going to deal with a broken car I might as well get the one I really wanted in the first place. I do occasionally miss it after a long drive in the rock hard GTI seats. I feel like the only person on the planet who can say that my VW has been more reliable than either of my Hondas.

Good luck with the car!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      12-25-2011 10:25 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post

Below is a link that contains the Honda and Acura TSB for the 3rd gear issue.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...t=3rd+gear+tsb

From what I have read the 3rd gear issue can be mostly corrected by changing to the GM gear oil. Mine does not grind nor does it pop out of gear every day. Most of the time it happens when the car is cold or when I am driving too slowly and try to shift to 3rd. I plan on going to the dealer for an oil change soon and will have them check it out.

26. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      12-25-2011 11:05 PM #50
      Below is a link that contains the Honda and Acura TSB for the 3rd gear issue.
      http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...t=3rd+gear+tsb
      What's funny is that Honda usually hits people who post TSBs fairly hard, since there are disclosure/copyright scripts at the bottom of every bulletin. I am surprised the host/link to that TSB are still working.

Either way, we usually only see the 3rd gear issue on cars that are, ummm... beat on regularly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast