Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jetta VI Rattle Fix Thread

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      06-03-2015 10:14 AM #351
      Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
      I had the same rattle, turned out to be a metal clamp under the center console (it's in back of the shifter area, just out of the way to get to if you try to fix it. (It's basically between the shift and the brake).

The dealer had to remove the center console, and put foam tape on both the console and elt tape on the clamp. When they pulled it they could see that it was hitting as it was leaving small gouges on the plastic. They also lubed the shifter and the ebrake.

It's quiet... but same thing, you pressed on the trim around the shifter and it would go away, we first put foam around it, and it was a tad lighter, but came back... this has fixed it... been no noise for a couple months now.

The clamp is #16 in this diagram... FYI: Some people might be mistaking this noise as being from the HVAC console... the "horn" on the front of the center console seems to transfer noise into the dash area quite well...

Just had to quote this and send out thanks. I had the same crazy rattle around the DSG shifter area and could not figure out what the heck it was. Pushing on the shifter area stopped the rattling, but once I took things apart, nothing seems to make it stop. Then I found this bit of information in this thread, which turned out to the source of the rattle. I don't think I would have found it without this thread/post.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      2014 Gli
      06-03-2015 10:18 AM #352
      I too had that dsg rattle and when I would hold the button it would stop what fixed it was disconnecting the sound aktor. All I have now is noise from passenger door from music.

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      06-03-2015 04:01 PM #353
      Quote Originally Posted by 30_Gli View Post
      I too had that dsg rattle and when I would hold the button it would stop what fixed it was disconnecting the sound aktor. All I have now is noise from passenger door from music.
      I disconnected the soundaktor the day I brought it home. These engines are loud enough on their own, VW didn't need to waste time and money on making fake engine noises.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      06-09-2015 02:26 AM #354
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VSerenity View Post
      I disconnected the soundaktor the day I brought it home. These engines are loud enough on their own, VW didn't need to waste time and money on making fake engine noises.
      Did you have any problem unplugging it? For some reason I'm having trouble getting it to release, it seems the "T" button won't unclick... And also, did you simply unplug yours or did you completely remove it?

6. Member
      06-09-2015 04:20 PM #355
      Are rattles common with the GLI? I'm considering one but this thread has me "scared." My 2002 Civic has zero rattles today and reliability/build quality has always been a knock on VW in general, even though the GLI fixed many of the Jetta's shortcomings.

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy) sold, '13 GLi Autobahn DSG (daily)
      06-10-2015 07:30 AM #356
      Quote Originally Posted by h4ldol View Post
      Are rattles common with the GLI?
      I have a 2013 GLi, and in the last 21k miles, it's been very good to me. I haven't thankfully experienced the rattles that some of the other guys have had. The only thing that's been a thing at all is the whistle thing with the sunroof open due to the mirror cap. That's a very simple fix, I just haven't done it yet cuz it's not made me totally crazy haha.

Drive a GLi, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a ton of car for the money, very very good value, and crazy potential if you're into modding. (mine is a fully loaded Autobahn btw)

Kei
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

Vehicles
      '14 Jetta GLI+'04 SVT Focus
      09-05-2015 12:13 PM #357
      I'd like to submit a new rattle to the thread, thankfully with an obvious fix...

The rearview mirror casing on my '14 GLI tends to rattle at higher speeds and when it's humid outside. It comes across as a faint high pitched buzzing that is very noticeable even at 70-80mph.

What's interesting is I've had my car for a year now, and until this time I thought that noise was coming from either the base of windshield or head unit area. Both are known rattles mentioned by OP. I've even had my dealer install foam insulation behind the head unit as suggested. But the other day I put my ear up near the head liner, and to my shock....it was all coming from the stupidly fitted plastic bezel that goes around the mirror. I literally started laughing out loud.

So if you press on the thing a little, it'll stop immediately. And since it's intermittent anyway, pressing it every so often isn't a pain. I'm just glad to put a stop to that ridiculous noise.
      Balance is Everything.

Vehicles
      13 VW GLI
      09-07-2015 11:21 PM #358
      I have a 2013 gli i have this insane sound coming from
      The driver side rear from under the car sounds like metal clunks , ive looked at the suspension , made sure hangers on exhaust were good i cant figure it out, only hapens over bumps

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GLI AB w/ Nav Stage II, '18 Atlas SEL Premium
      09-28-2015 03:42 PM #359
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VSerenity View Post
      Just had to quote this and send out thanks. I had the same crazy rattle around the DSG shifter area and could not figure out what the heck it was. Pushing on the shifter area stopped the rattling, but once I took things apart, nothing seems to make it stop. Then I found this bit of information in this thread, which turned out to the source of the rattle. I don't think I would have found it without this thread/post.
      Was this the sound?

https://youtu.be/5OVqA5mahIM
      First VW Purchased in '98: '91 GLI 2.0 16V: Intake, Euro Cam, Port/Polished Head, ECU, Short-Shift Kit, Cat-back exhaust. Suspension. Quad-Headlight Euro-Grill.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GLI AB w/ Nav Stage II, '18 Atlas SEL Premium
      09-29-2015 11:08 AM #360
      Also for people who took it into the dealership, did they charge to fix the rattle?
      First VW Purchased in '98: '91 GLI 2.0 16V: Intake, Euro Cam, Port/Polished Head, ECU, Short-Shift Kit, Cat-back exhaust. Suspension. Quad-Headlight Euro-Grill.

12. 11-22-2015 09:38 PM #361
      If you have fender audio system there will be an amp below passanger seat. It will be in a stryrofoam case which for me caused ALOT of squecky noises that drove me nuts. I drive 300-400 miles a week. Believe me, take that styrofoam case off, and go get some velcro sticky tape at hobby lobby and put that on the amp, and that will keep the amp in place on the carpet floor without all the squeeky noises. Another thing I did was take the glove box out, and the right and left dash covers off and took some screws out and put rubber washers from home depot between where the plastic and the metal clips contact and put the screws back in place. I also noticed the back plastic where the rear window is was loose, so I put an eraser in the left corner of the plastic so it is tight against the window. A pernament fix would be to find some 3m double sided tape and cut about 2 inches, and stack 4 pieces of tape so its like a big sticky wedge and [place it there so you can't see it (because its clear tape) Hope it helped.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS VR6 5Spd, 2012 GLI Autobahn 6spd
      12-11-2015 05:30 PM #362
      Got my 2016 GLI SEL. Love the car honestly, much better put together, at least interior, than my 2012 GLI. I have an annoying rattle coming from the shifter trim area. It rattles on certain bumps and certain road surfaces. If i put my finger on the trim piece and put some pressure, instantly stops and cabin is quiet. I know some others on here have mentioned it, wondering what the tactics will be with the dealer when i bring it in for "repair" or if i should try something on my own (jam some insulation under there)

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Jetta SEL
      12-11-2015 11:12 PM #363
      After about 10K miles my 2015 Jetta SEL developed an annoying rattle coming from rear deck area when driven over certain roads. At first I thought it was the subwoofer or the rear deck itself. But they all seemed solidly attached. It turns out the rear headrests were vibrating when in the fully seated position. Odd. When I raised them 1 inch the noise was eliminated. They have been silent now for several thousand miles.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      12-12-2015 01:39 AM #364
      Quote Originally Posted by dosel View Post
      If you have fender audio system there will be an amp below passanger seat. It will be in a stryrofoam case which for me caused ALOT of squecky noises that drove me nuts. I drive 300-400 miles a week. Believe me, take that styrofoam case off, and go get some velcro sticky tape at hobby lobby and put that on the amp, and that will keep the amp in place on the carpet floor without all the squeeky noises. Another thing I did was take the glove box out, and the right and left dash covers off and took some screws out and put rubber washers from home depot between where the plastic and the metal clips contact and put the screws back in place. I also noticed the back plastic where the rear window is was loose, so I put an eraser in the left corner of the plastic so it is tight against the window. A pernament fix would be to find some 3m double sided tape and cut about 2 inches, and stack 4 pieces of tape so its like a big sticky wedge and [place it there so you can't see it (because its clear tape) Hope it helped.
      I've been noticing a ridiculously annoying rattle from the passenger seat area that for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. I never hear it though when someone is in the seat so I'm thinking the amp could be the cause. I will definitely try to secure this better tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 12-12-2015 03:29 AM #365
      Quote Originally Posted by illestginge View Post
      I've been noticing a ridiculously annoying rattle from the passenger seat area that for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. I never hear it though when someone is in the seat so I'm thinking the amp could be the cause. I will definitely try to secure this better tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In mid-level trim cars (like my TDI) I think there is a Bluetooth receiver under the passenger seat that is in a similar Styrofoam block. I sometimes get an annoying sound from the passenger side and now I'm wondering if that's what it is.

Also it's weird how cold weather really sets things off-- from Spring until Fall my car is pretty much quiet but if your car isn't garaged it will really make strange sounds in the cold.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 MKVI Jetta 2.5 SE
      12-27-2015 10:59 PM #366
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lock Dog View Post
      Also for people who took it into the dealership, did they charge to fix the rattle?
      Anyone? I have an annoying rattle coming from the front passenger door, usually hear it when the bass hits (stock system). My 30k service is coming up and I'm thinking of having then look at and it fix it if it's covered under the warranty. Or will I get the standard "not covered because its considered wear and tear"?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GLI SEL DSG
      12-28-2015 12:28 PM #367
      Quote Originally Posted by parthtc09 View Post
      Anyone? I have an annoying rattle coming from the front passenger door, usually hear it when the bass hits (stock system). My 30k service is coming up and I'm thinking of having then look at and it fix it if it's covered under the warranty. Or will I get the standard "not covered because its considered wear and tear"?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
      I'm not 100% sure, but I went in recently to have a my window fixed and asked them to check some rattles coming from the rear. Turned out to be the headliner so they added some foam at no cost. Unfortunately it's still rattling so I'm going to have to figure something else out. I wouldn't see how they'd charge you to "check" on an issue, but maybe ask when you get there? Usually they're upfront and should be letting you know what they're doing before they start charging you for things. At least that's how it's worked for me...good luck.

On another note, anyone else experience the headliner rattle on a 2015 GLI SEL?

19. 01-08-2016 09:00 AM #368
      I have a 2016 Jetta TSI. I am getting an annoying rattle coming from the front of the dash, up near the windshield. Sounds to me like it's coming out of the defroster vent.

I checked the rain gutter in under the hood and it is secure. The odd thing is that the rattle only comes on after I have been driving for 30 minutes or so. It is not dependent on engine RPM and is evident at all speeds when going over a bump. I tried cycling through the ventilation settings, that doesn't do anything. I pressed on the dashboard and all the trim, that makes no difference.

I'm taking it in soon to get the plates put on and have them look at the wind noise around the driver's window. I will ask them about this as well. The problem is, I doubt they will take the time to drive it around for a half hour so they can check out the noise. I suppose I can let them know ahead of time and just swing by and pick up a tech. My daughter works at the dealership, so I can probably get her to pull some strings!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Jetta SE w/Conectivity, 2015 Jetta SE, 2003 Jetta GL 2SLOW
      01-08-2016 09:16 AM #369
      Quote Originally Posted by brewerth View Post
      I have a 2016 Jetta TSI. I am getting an annoying rattle coming from the front of the dash, up near the windshield. Sounds to me like it's coming out of the defroster vent.

I checked the rain gutter in under the hood and it is secure. The odd thing is that the rattle only comes on after I have been driving for 30 minutes or so. It is not dependent on engine RPM and is evident at all speeds when going over a bump. I tried cycling through the ventilation settings, that doesn't do anything. I pressed on the dashboard and all the trim, that makes no difference.

I'm taking it in soon to get the plates put on and have them look at the wind noise around the driver's window. I will ask them about this as well. The problem is, I doubt they will take the time to drive it around for a half hour so they can check out the noise. I suppose I can let them know ahead of time and just swing by and pick up a tech. My daughter works at the dealership, so I can probably get her to pull some strings!
      I had the exact same sound, and after trying everything I saw posted here, I found that while it sounds like it is coming from the defroster, it is from below the heat/AC controls. See the attached image. I have circled the area in yellow, with a green arrow. The 2 sections of plastic rub on bumps and flexing on turns. I stuck a short length of nylon wire tie into that tiny gap and the noise has stopped completely for me. I hope this helps. You could try both sides, but on mine it was only the right side.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwhkf112vq...age-7.jpg?dl=0
      Current VWs owned: 2015 Jetta SE with Connectivity (Mine), 2015 Jetta SE (sons), 2003 Jetta GL 2SLOW (Wife's car)
      Previous New VWs owned: 87 Jetta GL, 95 Jetta GLS, 95 Passat GLX, 01 Golf GL, 02 Passat Wagon, 08 Jetta S, 2011 Tiguan S 4Motion

21. 01-08-2016 09:19 AM #370
      Quote Originally Posted by OF-Erad View Post
      I had the exact same sound, and after trying everything I saw posted here, I found that while it sounds like it is coming from the defroster, it is from below the heat/AC controls. See the attached image. I have circled the area in yellow, with a green arrow. The 2 sections of plastic rub on bumps and flexing on turns. I stuck a short length of nylon wire tie into that tiny gap and the noise has stopped completely for me. I hope this helps. You could try both sides, but on mine it was only the right side.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwhkf112vq...age-7.jpg?dl=0
      Thank you very much. I'll give it a shot and report back.

22. n00b
      Vehicles
      2015 Jetta SE
      01-08-2016 03:23 PM #371
      Quote Originally Posted by az_pinoy View Post
      reviving this thread back from the dead. i have a 2015 GLI and i noticed the same creaking/rattling noise over on the passenger side. anyone else having this problem?
      I finally fixed it my friend. I shoved a piece of rubber between the dashboard and the windshield. It finally stopped. It must be the plastic weatherstripping or windshield seating. But once there was some pressure on it, it stopped creaking. It was driving me insane.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Touareg, '15 Jetta
      01-09-2016 02:15 PM #372
      Brought car in to activate my $1k credit cards and mentioned that there was a rattle behind the dash at low rpms. Dealer said there is a technical bulletin 80-15-01 that states there is a missing screw in between heater core pipes. They had to order it however so it's not some ordinary screw. But it worked - no more rattle

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL
      01-25-2016 04:21 PM #373
      Rear deck was rattling due to Fender audio. I put tennis balls to stop it, but they just push the deck up into the glass and it rattles against that. So I took them out after a couple months, and the bass doesn't rattle it too much anymore. But now it just CONSTANTLY rattles due to my stiff suspension/bumps and I just don't know what to do anymore my life is in shambles. Is there something I can do to stop this?

Thanks

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI TR DSG
      01-25-2016 06:06 PM #374
      Im getting the sub deck rattle. Got in there and noticed that the previous owner had already stuffed it with rags and that seems to work for the common rattle everyone is getting. The rattle im having it more of a high pitch squeak. Crawled in there and shook it around by hand and noticed it was one of the bolts that secures the bass to the top deck. Tightened it and the rest down and it went away. About a week later it came back but everything is still tight. Its somewhat rare that it happens now, but i cant seem to hunt it down.

26. 01-26-2016 08:01 PM #375
      So happy I just got out of my mk6 gli. I'm gonna miss it as it was fun to drive, but damn did that thing rattle like no other.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast