VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your cabby today?

424K views 3K replies 462 participants last post by  335I 
#1 ·
Looked quickly and didn't see one of these here like in the mk3 and 2 forums. I figured I should bring one to us cabriolet owners. Let's post as many pics as possible since that's all Vortex members are interested in.

I'll start with:
Today my '90 Triple White got front pads and resurfaced rotors in the front and new shoes, hardware, cylinders, grease seals, and resurfaced drums in the rear. Did a front camber adjustment and a much needed brake fluid flush and bleed. Pics to come tomorrow.

I also gave it a much needed bath and a good vacuuming. I had to put my MOMO's on the rear and move the rear wheels up front due to some very bald and flat tires on the front 14's. Here's pics!

See less See more
#3,178 · (Edited)
That guy will not make it in his new shop. Once you let people know it's all about you [My time is worth something], then it's down hill.

When you work with the public, you must understand they can go anywhere. You need to appreciate that they picked you. That should mean a lot to you and therefore do the best job you can. You gave an estimate and you should honor that even if you take a bit longer. There are exceptions, but many times, you take it as a learning curve and let the next client know what may happen. If you need more parts, then the client needs to step up and buy them.

What is worst is that the job was not done properly. A faulty shifter adjustment is not acceptable.

When it comes to butchery on the professional level, I always know that someone else may see my work and the last thing I want is to prove that some butcher was working on their car. If I saw some sheet metal screw in a machine threaded hole, I would certainly inform the client that the past person who worked on it should not be turning wrenches. Yes, sometimes the person I told that too was the person that put in that sheet metal screw. I have not been hit yet.

They do make an updated cover that works well with that engine. It comes with both seals built in so you do not have to worry about a warped cover. 068 103 171F

#3,187 ·
I’ve spent many hours in those same Kia Soul seats, definitely comfy for longer drives.

I dropped my car off today to get all of the rot cut out of the windshield cowl and have the car wet sanded and buffed (didn’t trust myself to not burn through it). Hyped to not have water dripping onto the fuse panel every time the car gets wet.

#3,188 ·
Some updates posted in mk1 thread. But here are some. Snippets

Washed it
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

tails installed. all LEDs in exterior lights installed
Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive parking light

new plate frame

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Added lower trim
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

also cant go much lower. Once its aired out im pretty much as low as the car should ever sit
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

Also have these in route :)
Plant Green Comfort Houseplant Motor vehicle

Which means i will be selling my kia seats…. After all that work. Oh well

#3,190 ·
getting caught up on updates for this thread

Installed the flaps
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Installed recaros
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering part

Installed new reverse light switch. The leds i got for the reverse lights are killer bright. They light up the entire 80ft long driveway.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Installed new leds in cluster, new egr counter, and a new clock.
Vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part Display device

installed handsfree mic in lighting bezel.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Steering part

Also have this seat in route. I olan to fabric paint it black and just have a black rear seat instead of matching the rears to the trophies for now. Much cheaper option that will look legit.

Hood Automotive design Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#4 ·
Those are my MOMO Quasar 15x7 et37. Their home is on my Plymouth, but since I need a couple tires and had my Gram Lights lying around, I put the Rays' on the Plymouth and the two MOMO's with good tires on the cabriolet so that everything has good tires until I fall over more money.

#6 ·
Last weekend, I changed out the passenger side front wheel bearing on my first 91 Etienne because of wheel noise. Now the noise is less but not totally gone, so planning to do the drivers side next weekend.

My green 92 has a wiring issue with the horn/triple gauge wires..some short blowing the fuse with key on.
Haven't figured that out yet...oh and the exhaust manifold is loose so its got some blowby.

My cars in my sig.

#11 ·
Couple days ago I got around to addressing the following all in one go while it was apart..

- Replaced glovebox latch with a non-broken one
- Fixed the chirping red gear in speedo
- Fixed the coolant and fuel gauges (missing/loose nuts on the backside)
- Replaced broken heater controls (busted mounting tabs and broken off upper arm)
- Replaced the vac distributor diaphragm
- Replaced dash bezel with non-broken one (no toggle switch holes either.. :rolleyes:)

Done with the interior, now for everything else.