VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

88 Quattro - Lehmann edition

88K views 59 replies 11 participants last post by  WAUOla 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, so I entered the gang of old turbocharged typ 85 owners this autumn. To avoid cluttering up the urquattro picture thread, I thought I'd do some small thread for the car itself here. Nothing major changes will be done though...

The car itself is originally a 1988 Quattro from Switzerland, and holds the downgraded WX engine at 162~165 hp, black leather interior, Steingrau color. Originally... :laugh:

At some point, a previous German owner sent the car to Lehmann Motorentechnik. If you don't know Lehmann, the hints are that Lehmann is (the?) Audi Sport engine provider, also valid back in the days of Röhrl and the rest. Here they built the engine into a 2.2L and featuring some Group A (and B) parts, and general Lehmann work at the head. Nothing over the top here, as the original CIS is still in place, but the fun of it combined with my dedicated interest in the old Audi rallyes made it an easy choice. Also being non-EU, actually picking this up was a nice deal compared to importing a similar specimen from Germany or Switzerland.

So what were the downsides?
On an old lady like this, there are always some bits and pieces not up to standards. The car is resprayed, but OK, it is not 100% original either with the Lehmann work done. The antenna doesn't go all the way. The amber turns were swapped for repro white ones, and the previous owner did the classic mistake of mounting bigger speakers, and the Polk items looks horrible! The Ronals were swapped for Compomotives in OEM-dimension, as "they're the ones used on the rally cars". The whole idea he had of these cars were just so silly for a urq/sq lover as myself. At that note, he also fitted EBC yellow(?)stuff pads that are sh!t on normal road use, and the handbrake cables are worn/stretched. Luckily, I am sourcing parts as a badger in may!

Is that a custom ordered plate provided by your vehicle registration department?
If not, are you able to run a replica plate on the front of your car? In the States, and Canada, certain areas allow for this.
In Norway the first letters in the road legal plates are related to areas the car is registered. Unlike in Germany, these stay with the car throught its lifespan, and they are selectable. Funnily enough, the previous owner resided in that area where they have "UR" - a desired option for imported urquattros all over the country. So the IN-LA 22 plates are showplates, you are not allowed to utilize these at all on the road, as one can be faced with falsification charges.

Future plans?
Yes... First of all I want to find all the tiny hard to find bits to get it going in a look I like. Amber turns are sourced and bought, the same a NOS Votex antenna, handbrake cables and other bits. I did borrow a center shaft from an Audi A4 quattro Supertouring, and did measure it to see if it is applicable with the 016 urquattro drivetrain. No idea so far...but the shaft weighet 4100 grams with its carbon weave/titanium construction.

From a friendship, where I somewhat supported with details in the restoration of two old rallye Quattros and a finished rallye Sport Quattro, I hope to get some input on the rallycar shafts. Also on its way from Germany are some Die Wethje parts.

If the CIS goes, I think I'll do a 300hp "Gr A" Motronic...
Thanks for tuning in!

See less See more
#34 ·
Might be some parts (rear spoiler?) being painted, but generally it has only gotten a round of clear coat. Over the stripes and such "of course". :banghead:

Trying to sort out some "upgrades" to get a tighter steering and driving feel to the car.
The old rubber from 1988 might need some swaps to do that...
So are "we" all purchasing from seekparts24?

#37 ·
Stumbled across an offer I simply couldn't refuse...
Being at home (due family matters and sick leave due grief) I had the time for a small trip.

Gathered nothing less than a cast alloy Audi Sport block from the rallye Quattro A2.
I am requesting some historic input on this, due 10V or 20V route.
This suits very well for my Gr B engine parts-gathering. :thumbup:

#39 ·
I am happy atleast! Will try to figure out some header on this, and most likely it will be standard 10V with repro or non-OEM parts. Might do it as simple as standard header, 270° cam and replica plenum/inlet and exhaust manifolds.

#40 ·
Been struggling with the brakes again/still.

First I sprayed WD-40 on the handbrake-mechanism to prevent "locking", handforced it back into normal position, and it still slightly rubbed.

So a drove it a little to see if it helped, heated brakes. Left the car at the garage for a while, started going back to the storage very slowly - overheating, pedal to the floor.

Not very impressed by these brakes. Not sure if EBC items gives worse clearance aswell...

#41 ·
Now this is getting ridicolous.
Brakes are still messing up with light hang onto the discs.

Someone tipped me about some valves by the master cylinder that may hang or move slowly, making the brake system keep slight pressure even if off the brakes.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

#42 ·
Nice block, I just got one as well, but a street version.
Can I ask you to take few more pictures?
Would like to machine mine to copy the works version.

Here are pictures of mine:

Nice car, btw I love the compomotives.. ;)

Cheers

#46 ·
Nice block, I just got one as well, but a street version.
Can I ask you to take few more pictures?
Would like to machine mine to copy the works version.

Here are pictures of mine:

Nice car, btw I love the compomotives.. ;)
Cheers
Hi,
Actually wasn't aware there were new entries in this thread as such! Hard to tell from your resolution, but it looks like a general road car engine to me.

Car has mainly been sitting for a while, due the fuzz with the brakes. Long story short: master cylinder was defect, looked like someone forgot about the safety screw and tried yanking it out of the casing, damaging on of the moveable alloy pieces, making it slower than it should. These internals were sourced of other master cylinder, and a bit of luck has it there's a hydraulic workshop at work, so we did a working hour special with washing and honing (is that the word in english?) of the housing that came off the car, just to be sure.

Why running the same old housing instead of just sticking with the new item bought you say? Turns out there is a PITA correlation in parts for urquattro!
  • brake servo off car identical to new from Audi Tradition
  • master cylinder off car had 35mm sleeve
  • new master cylinders (I sourced both 25,4 and 23,81mm items) had 41mm sleeves
None of this makes senses to me, as even the master cylinder pictured at Audi Tradition shop looks to be 41mm sleeve type, so there is no available solution as far as I know. My 1988 edition car allegedly/apparently is running same dual piston calipers as 20V and early Audi S2, so I would see it natural to having the 25,4mm master cylinder on this car (as 20Vs do). Let's see what comes up from support functions at Audi (if any).

Last but not least, I managed to source a pair of Fuchs magnesium rims, although with type 43 numbers and scarsly 6 x 15 dimension. No good for anything, but perhaps could have made a nice replacement spare wheel in Gr 4 style fitted with 185/65 tyre. Also being out and about, I managed to trace down the genuine Bosch Motorsport ECU for the exact Lehmann 10V engine (Block, but still...) I have. It was nice, althought not a deal breaker for the "museum" engine I will patch together...some day...with whatever parts found suitable... :screwy:

#44 ·
Yes, we were one of the last group buys before they closed the doors last year.
Insider info was that the company was trying to move operations to China to cut costs.. not sure where that ended up.. but for now they are out of business.

Cheers

#52 ·
So, narrow tires 185/60 R15 or so would be correct fitment for the Fuchs, if I were to replace the spare wheel to something a little sexier.

Speaking of sexier, I just did a DIY to correct a big annoyance. Looking at the silver painted Polk Audios wasn't doing it for me.
Finding the all-black grilles of the sister product hasn't been found during a while, so I did it this way: marine grilles, matted down, and painted in some "bumper paint". Not 100%, but 85% being 65% more than the silver ones... :rolleyes:

Also noticed a small damage in the rear seat cuchion, that should be fixed. Think it can be, it's a scratch beyond the paint or so that should be possible to "patch up".

#53 ·
185/60 would be too small (short). Overall diameter would be smaller by about 1" and your speedometer out by almost 4%
Better choice would be 185/65 even though still too small. 195/65 would be ideal.

#54 ·
How do you make that?? From 215/50R15, I'd say the 195/55 typical Golf VR6 size is as close as it gets. 195 on 6" sounds too chunky as a spare?

Either way, got very, very lucky. Sat at partens in law this new years, and passed through a local ad page and found a set of Audi V8 BBS wheels for sale. So these made me excited to (a) test fit 16" on urquattro for clearances & (b) do for an old Audi 100 late generation (after test fit, with 205/55 most likely). What was very good about them, was I was correct in hoping they were the BBS RG043 forged wheels, making them properly lightweight and will fit the 2.3E engine just fine. :thumbup:

#58 ·
The hoarding continues. As can be read on the news section, Milltek has launched a set of exhaust kits under the Milltek Classic selection. And yes, there's something for the urquattro there!
So I have just been a bit back and forth on getting the Milltek (2.5", lifetime warranty, nice 304 stainless, 2x90mm tips) versus BN pipes (2.75", has approval certificate, stainless, 2x76mm tips).

Looking at the press release pictures, I wasn't thrilled about the choice of 90mm "GT" tips for these cars. Checking the mk1 and mk2 Golfs, they kept more according to original design/dimension.
After talks with the local seller of Milltek, I'm going to give the kit a go, and they will source me a set of "Jet 76.2mm" tips in addition for a decent price for me to experiment with. I believe this would be closer looking to the 3" kit for S2 Avant & RS2 they are selling out these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.