VWVortex.com - Domesticating a Wild Rabbit?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Domesticating a Wild Rabbit?

1. Member
      01-29-2012 10:24 AM #1
      so a few years back I got this off my cousin he built it basck in the early '90's
      1978 rabbit. it sat for 13 years

some may recognize it

its been a rough road but it runs but not what I expect from a turbo car it has been very tempermental

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 01-29-2012 10:48 AM #2
      nice. but wait - being temperamental is not what you expect from a turbo car?
      LE6B

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit, 1999 Buick Regal Ls
      01-29-2012 11:49 AM #3
      Funky looking setup. I like it.

01-29-2012 01:24 PM #4
      Thats a weird turbo setup. Care to post some more pics?

6. Member
      01-29-2012 02:46 PM #5
      well, I helped build this car back then and I know everything worked he would drive it 100 miles to a Show/Races race the car and drive home it was reliable until it sat for so long,thats why it drives me nuts today.
      1.old feul system
      2.modern fuels
      3.high acid levels of 13 years of motor oil eating away at gaskets and seals

so I pulled the motor. when I drained the coolant this is what it looked like it was green when I changed all the fluids a year ago when it came outta storage

7. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      01-29-2012 04:53 PM #6
      I'm anxious to understand what I'm seeing as far as the intake hoses and manifold.

01-29-2012 05:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      I'm anxious to understand what I'm seeing as far as the intake hoses and manifold.

9. Member
      01-29-2012 05:25 PM #8
      sothe intake is just a mk2 wich was cut and extended with a flange welded to it to accept alfa rameo
      throttle bodies then a plenumn box to centralize the air for CIS on the plenum box was a valve for recirculation(diverter valve) this system could even be used for a N/A setup

anythig else?

Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      01-29-2012 08:53 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by anlxn View Post
      sothe intake is just a mk2 wich was cut and extended with a flange welded to it to accept alfa rameo
      throttle bodies then a plenumn box to centralize the air for CIS on the plenum box was a valve for recirculation(diverter valve) this system could even be used for a N/A setup

juuh... so youre telling me its a turbo CIS?

looks nice sorry it sat so long
      that usually doesnt "sit well" for any car

11. 01-29-2012 08:56 PM #10
      Looks like a mess to me.
      How much boost?

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 1981 Rabbit, 1991 Jetta TD (sold)
      01-29-2012 08:59 PM #11
      I say engine swap!

What's on the roof?
      Once you go "clack", you never go back.

13. 01-29-2012 08:59 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rallydiesel View Post
      I say engine swap!

What's on the roof?
      Looks like a sliding rag top.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1983 VW Rabbit GTI
      01-29-2012 11:00 PM #13
      So it has 5 throttle bodies?

15. 01-29-2012 11:23 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by kehoeautomotive View Post

Last edited by deathhare.; 01-29-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Vehicles
      '87 Alpine White Cabriolet' 17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      01-30-2012 08:30 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kehoeautomotive View Post
      That "Fifth" throttle body that you are seeing on the plenum appears to be a diverter valve of some sort.

*I don't know much about turbo setups, but I'm wondering if that setup would cause the airflow plate to be slammed shut when the DV opens.

The whole intake setup is pretty interesting. Did you say that was based on a Mk2 NA Diesel intake manifold?

The problem (or catch) that I see is that ITB's add unnecessary complication to a forced induction setup. While that ITB setup *might* be an improvement on a naturally aspirated motor, I bet that a well-designed intake with a single throttle body could surpass it when you're forcing the air in.

Again, it's a very cool setup and I'm not trying to discredit the work that was put into it, but I think when you look at Cost/Complexity/Power & Tuning there are better solutions. If it were my car, I'd hang that manifold on my garage wall and run a simpler setup.

Nice car by the way. It looks very clean.

17. Member
      01-30-2012 09:38 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      That "Fifth" throttle body that you are seeing on the plenum appears to be a diverter valve of some sort.

*I don't know much about turbo setups, but I'm wondering if that setup would cause the airflow plate to be slammed shut when the DV opens.

The whole intake setup is pretty interesting. Did you say that was based on a Mk2 NA Diesel intake manifold?

The problem (or catch) that I see is that ITB's add unnecessary complication to a forced induction setup. While that ITB setup *might* be an improvement on a naturally aspirated motor, I bet that a well-designed intake with a single throttle body could surpass it when you're forcing the air in.

Again, it's a very cool setup and I'm not trying to discredit the work that was put into it, but I think when you look at Cost/Complexity/Power & Tuning there are better solutions. If it were my car, I'd hang that manifold on my garage wall and run a simpler setup.

Nice car by the way. It looks very clean.
      good observation and hypothesis....
      I switched the intake back to a mk1 and there is a significant driveabilty difference.The ITB setup was all or nothing and as far as expense $0, just parts we had laying around when we had spare time I could never find time for this today.although I would like to see how this setup works on an N/A motor someday. Oh and this was done about 15years ago shortly before the car was stashed away.
      * also the diverter setup worked great the air would bleed back into the turbo intake and because the turbo is still spinning and sucking air it doesnt bother the air flow plate
      Last edited by anlxn; 01-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Vehicles
      84 gti 16v
      01-31-2012 12:23 AM #17
      seems like the runners on that manifold defeat the purpose of itbs.

19. Member
      01-31-2012 08:38 PM #18
      so enough with the ITB manifold .......
      the conclusion was it worked and looked different but desired more driveability. So I changed it to a MK1 intake

01-31-2012 08:48 PM #19
      Nice!

21. 01-31-2012 09:26 PM #20
      Mind fcuk. This is the perfect example of a mind fcuk.... Really different, I kinda like the way it looks, though I don't see it benefitting any.... The itbs would be good on a na car though! You could probably sell that custom intake mani and itb's...

Also, temperamental describes it well, if your having issues. Your rabbit has mood swings hahaha did it have it's period yet?? Jk good looking car so far.

Anyway what's with the roof? Interesting let's see more pics of the car and roof, and an inside shot too of the headliner! Thanks.

22. Member
      02-06-2012 09:11 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VwGTIdp View Post
      Mind fcuk. This is the perfect example of a mind fcuk.... Really different, I kinda like the way it looks, though I don't see it benefitting any.... The itbs would be good on a na car though! You could probably sell that custom intake mani and itb's...

Also, temperamental describes it well, if your having issues. Your rabbit has mood swings hahaha did it have it's period yet?? Jk good looking car so far.

Anyway what's with the roof? Interesting let's see more pics of the car and roof, and an inside shot too of the headliner! Thanks.
      ITB intake? yup Id sell it
      THE ROOF?
      its a roof from a Renault fuego 1980something? Havent worried about a headliner much the roof has one built into it and there is only about 4 inches exposed around the perimeter from the mk1 body Ill try to post pics of it for you

y

Vehicles
      '76 245, '87 E28, '64 Taunus
      02-06-2012 09:33 AM #22
      I don't get the first engine pic. Is there a boost/air pipe I'm not seeing? The one from the outlet on the coldside to the intercooler seems to be missing.
      VW-less at the moment...

24. Member
      02-06-2012 01:25 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by D.E View Post
      I don't get the first engine pic. Is there a boost/air pipe I'm not seeing? The one from the outlet on the coldside to the intercooler seems to be missing.
      the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler runs from the back of the motor down under with a releif cut out on the pulley side of the oil pan but dont worry I didnt loose any oil capacity.pipe routing is kinda like a newer 1.8t let me see if I gots pics