VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

01M Shift Solenoid A PLEASE HELP!!!!

30K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  mokawashere 
#1 ·
Does anybody know where shift solenoid A is located in the valve body? I have been trying to fix my car for months and I am in desperate need to know where shift solenoid A is located.

Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Do you know which valve number corresponds to each gear? I bought a shift solenoid kit and had a faulty solenoid so I bought a new kit and now have no reverse or neutral. Also the springs were in the valve body and not sticking out. Do you think thats why I am having these problems. This is what I get for trying to work on something I don't know much about.

Any help is much appreciated.

#11 ·
Do you know which valve number corresponds to each gear? I bought a shift solenoid kit and had a faulty solenoid so I bought a new kit and now have no reverse or neutral. Also the springs were in the valve body and not sticking out. Do you think thats why I am having these problems. This is what I get for trying to work on something I don't know much about.
So pretty much my question is that should all 7 valves have the spring stick out a little from the housing?
So after replacing the solenoids you have no reverse or neutral? Does this mean it pulls forward in reverse and neutral? Did you remove the valve body to change the solenoids? Did you remove the "link" that connects the linkage to the manual valve while doing this?

#7 ·
Ok i pulled the valve body cleaned it put everything back correctly and still. drives in reverse like it should in Overdrive, meaning reverse is now overdrive. I have park and neutral but no reverse and no 1-3 gears. By the way its an 2003 jetta 2.0 4 speed automatic.

#12 · (Edited)
So after valve body removal and reinstallation you now have this? I would have to ask if you hooked up the manual valve and if you know how to adjust the manual valve linkage correctly??

Edit: I wish I knew your initial problem that made you start replacing solenoids. I would assume that you made some mistake during solenoid replacement causing your new issues, or maybe you bought the EBAY chinese solenoid set and they stuck. And then you made either some mistake during valve body cleaning changing your symptoms yet again.

#8 ·
Ok i pulled the valve body cleaned it put everything back correctly and still. drives in reverse like it should in Overdrive, meaning reverse is now overdrive. I have park and neutral but no reverse and no 1-3 gears. By the way its an 2003 jetta 2.0 4 speed automatic.

#9 ·
Let's get you caught up here, or get us caught up. I am going to use the Nxx format so if you don't have a diagram showing which solenoids these are than I can send you something.

N89 - applies the B2 clutch which is applied in 2nd and 4th

N88 - feeds the K1 clutch when it is de-energized (Off) and feeds B1 clutch when energized (On), it's function allows 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

N92 - energized (On) briefly during every shift to allow a split-second drop in line pressure to provide smooth shifts.

N90 - controls the K3 clutch; when it is de-energized (Off), K3 clutch can apply (3rd and 4th gear)

N91 - controls the torque converter clutch (TCC), not an on-off solenoid, put is pulse-width modulated (PWM) so that the TCC can be applied in such a way to allow some slip, no slip, or free-wheel.

N94 - energized during 3-4 shift to privide a smooth shift.

N93 - a PWM solenoid similar to the TCC solenoid (N91) which controls line pressure regulation for varying throttle opening and gear selection (reverse, requires almost twice the line pressure than forward gears)

In regards to you drive problem, you are saying that when you shift one click from park you get all forward gears? The way you describe it is very confusing to me. It sounds like your linkage is wrong so what you think is park is neutral and reverse is "D" and so on. If the shifter is in park what do you see/feel? How about one lcick back where reverse should be? How about 3 clicks back where neutral is? And so on. Also, there are no springs between the solenoids and the valves on any of the spots so you should not be seeing a spring hanging out of the bore when you remove a solenoid.

Brad

#10 ·
Park=park
Reverse=overdrive
Neutral=Neutral
Overdrive=overdrive
3rd=3rd
2nd=2nd
1st=1st

Anyways I give up im taking it to a transmission shop, maybe I just need a new valve body. If that's the case it will be worth doing unlike if the whole transmission is jacked.

#13 ·
So when you say "reverse = overdrive" this means the trans pulls forward, and upshifts like its in overdrive, or does this mean the trans pulls forward and takes off from a stop in 4th?

I would assume you do not have vagcom? Have you tried scanning? Why did you initailly try replacing the solenoids?

#14 · (Edited)
i know this is an old thread, but i'd like to know with the detailed explanation given above, as my trans was slipping between 1st, 2nd and a little in 3rd, also when when turning hard right the trans would disengage. Did a couple of fluid flushes and replaced the N94 solenoid as i was getting a code for that. (00270) (could also be the wiring to the trans). After performing the following the car now shifts fine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, with no slipping between gears, but when it comes to 4th, it's like the trans is shifting into N. No power at all. until it shifts down to 3rd, also get the following code 00652 when this happens and trans will go into limp mode. Otherwise when car is driven without shifting to 4th, it drives fine and no error shows up. when it does shift into 4th, and RPM is at redline you can barely feel the trans pulling the car.

what solenoid could be causing this? or am i missing something here...

ATF Fluid level seems to be spot on checked multiple times at 60C Temp.
Multifunction switch is ok (F125 - doubt this could be the cause)
G68 sensor seems to be ok, and clean (could this be the cause?)
i do not have a g38 sensor (096) Trans.

any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.