Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY-Speaker Replacement, and Dynamat Install

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      02-27-2012 05:39 AM #1
      Well I this weekend I finally had some time to replace my factory front door speakers with a set of Focal Access component speakers that I've wanted for a while. During the process I went ahead and added some Dynamat. During the process I snapped a few pics to show a little DIY. I'm not saying this is the perfect way to do the process, or I'm a pro, this is just the way I did it. Hope this is a good contribution.

Supplies-
      Speakers of your choice
      At least one 18x32" Sheet of Dynamat(One per door)
      Dynamat Roller(Comes in handy when applying the Dynamat)
      T20 and 25 Torx
      Scissors and or knife
      Wire stripping and splicing tools, plus a few butt connectors and speaker wire
      Drill with semi large drill bit
      Small flat head screw driver for prying, or interior tool kit

Skill Level-Id say if you can turn a screw driver/drill, have a little patience you can do it.

Step 1- Pop up the window switch panel, it seems to pop up easier from the left side like so.

Step 2- You'll need to un-clip these connectors

Step 3- Next, there are three T25 screws that need to come out of the door handle.

Then there are two screws on the bottom of the door.

Once this is done you can begin to pry from around the edges of the door, there are several little "christmas tree" type doo hickies that need to be pulled out.

Step 4-Once you get the door panel off you'll need to un-hook the door pull cable from the door card. Its pretty straight forward, hope the arrows help.

Then there are two more plugs to undo on the inner door harness.

Step 5- Next(I didn't take a pic of the speaker before) I cut the very cheap, thin paper cone out of the factory speaker, revealing the speaker magnet. There are 5 braces that connect to the speaker magnet that I cut with my Dremel.

Step 6-I popped the upper tweet panel out of the door and unhooked from the harness on the door. Picture shown below is the backside of the tweeter of course. The tweeters are molded in from the factory on two three small post. Again i took my Dremel and cut the top of these post to free the factory tweeter.

What it looks like once cut out

Next I used the existing post that were holding the factory tweeter in, to glue my locking tweeter ring that came with the Focal speakers. (The Gorilla Glue is tough stuff for sure!)

I didnt get a pic of the tweeter in, but the tweeter just goes in the ring, turns and locks in, looked just like factory when done.

Step 7- Next, I got the main speaker wired up ready for install.

Step 8- Then drilled a hole for the speaker wire to come through. Then used the speaker ring that came with the Focal's to kind of be an adapter to go into the factory speaker hole. This is needed because the aftermarket speakers are slightly smaller than the factory hole and cannot be screwed in properly.

Step 9-Next it was time to start the Dynamat. I cleaned all of the inside of the door that would have Dynamat covering it for a better adhesion. Then I held the Dynamat up to the door slowly trimming and cutting away a template. I made slits and holes for the important pieces such as the door pool cable, wiring harness, window regulator(in case you need to replace at some point). Picture shown below is the final template before I began to stick it on.

Step10- After sticking the Dynamat on I went ahead and finished hooking up the speaker, tweeter, and cross overs. You'll need these two wires to hook to the cross overs/(speaker if your not running crossovers). Brown/Blue and Red/Blue. Brown is ground of course, red is positive.

Step 11- I then mounted the crossover, took a couple of tries because that is really the only place I saw that it would fit behind the door panel, and it needed to be in just the right spot, you'll see once you take your door panel off where it has room to fit once the door panel is back on. I took some zip ties and some extra small pieces of Dynamat to tidy up the wiring harness.

Step 11- Do steps 1-4 backwards and you'll be done!

Hope this DIY helps, and I apologize for miss spellings and grammar, its late and I didnt proof read, I'm sure you can get the just from the pics at least.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-27-2012 05:51 AM #2
      be careful when pulling the doors if u just yank you can break the mounting points on the door cards. there's a tool your suppose to use to pop them open
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      02-27-2012 06:06 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Bill6211789 View Post
      be careful when pulling the doors if u just yank you can break the mounting points on the door cards. there's a tool your suppose to use to pop them open
      For sure! I busted a couple and I had a good tree prying tool

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0TDI DSG Highline
      02-27-2012 06:10 AM #4
      If someone's planing on doing all doors I would definitely invest in a set of push pin trim removal pliers to make life easier.
      The plugs are a real PITA to unlock and in the process not snaping them or their mounts on the door card.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T, 2003 Audi A6 3.0
      02-27-2012 08:36 AM #5
      Nice write up! Im glad that we seem to be getting more posts like this lately.
      2006 Passat 2.0T Tiptronic | Unitronic Stage 2 | DG Springs | Newsouth Boost Gauge | BFI Tranny Insert | Rev D DV | BSH PCV fix | eBay Downpipe w/cat | Autotech Exhaust | DDM HIDs | Bentley Manual | VCDS - Car for sale! $6,000
      2003 Audi A6 3.0

Vehicles
      B6 Passat 2.0 Turbo
      02-27-2012 09:06 AM #6
      What size are the front door speakers? Thinking about upgrading my self
      ???

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      02-27-2012 01:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Weelildubb2.0t View Post
      What size are the front door speakers? Thinking about upgrading my self
      6.5"

9. Awaiting Email Confirmation azul's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Currently: '07 Passat Wagon. Past: '73 Bug, '99 Cabrio, and '97 Jazz Blue GTI.
      02-27-2012 03:15 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VAGwhore View Post
      6.5"
      You didn't happen to measure the available speaker depth by chance?

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      02-27-2012 06:50 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by azul View Post
      You didn't happen to measure the available speaker depth by chance?

No sir...but the holes are pretty deep

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '06 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T FSI, '06 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 5dr, '99 Oldsmobile Alero GL V6 (R.I.P
      04-06-2012 12:37 PM #10
      Just a quick question, why didn't you drill the rivets instead of cutting the OEM speaker?

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      04-08-2012 01:59 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TugzTurbo View Post
      Just a quick question, why didn't you drill the rivets instead of cutting the OEM speaker?

Because drilling the rivets would had taken the whole assembly out cause me to have to start from scratch and having to make brackets to hold the speakers. This way everything is there after cutting the speaker out, for a perfect fit!

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '06 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T FSI, '06 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 5dr, '99 Oldsmobile Alero GL V6 (R.I.P
      04-08-2012 12:49 PM #12
      I see! Thanks!

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 B6 Passat MT 2.0T FSI
      04-18-2012 03:05 PM #13
      This looks like the non-Dynaudio config - can you confirm?

I have a plain old B6 2006 2.0T, with the standard, non-Dynaudio head and speakers, and one of the drivers side speakers has blown. Trying to figure out what's involved in replacing front speakers with better quality units if I'm going to be in there anyway...

I have heard from some that the standard head unit is not sufficient to drive more powerful aftermarket speakers. I find this unlikely - I listen at low to moderate levels, and the stock config provided plenty of volume for me - surely it can power speakers that have just a bit larger magnet? Or is there an impedance issue?

I guess what I'm asking the OP is - did you hook these new speakers up to the original head unit? Did it work satisfactorily?

Thanks!

Neil

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 B6 Passat MT 2.0T FSI
      04-18-2012 03:11 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by fneilss View Post

I guess what I'm asking the OP is - did you hook these new speakers up to the original head unit? Did it work satisfactorily?
      Hmm, I see from your other posts that you obviously have upgraded to a high power aftermarket head unit, so I guess I need to ask this question elsewhere.

Thanks anyway,

Neil

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      04-18-2012 10:09 PM #15
      I think it'd be fine, but I'm sure you wouldnt get the optimum performance out of your speakers.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat Lux wagon FSI auto; also Volvo 1800ES
      04-18-2012 10:47 PM #16
      I also just dynamated my '08 wagon. I bought Fatmat -- a big roll for $150. Similar to dynamat, but thinner and lighter.

I put in on all four doors, under the back seat, under the trunk cover, inside the wheel wells as best I could, over the splash guards on all 4 wheel wells, and on the floor plan (from underneath).

It really quieted it down noticeably. I big job, but now it's much quieter.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      04-19-2012 12:21 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by VAGwhore View Post
      I think it'd be fine, but I'm sure you wouldnt get the optimum performance out of your speakers.
      x2

but to get the most out of aftermarket speakers a proper amp i necessary
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06 b6
      07-21-2012 01:34 PM #18
      what size speaker did you use? will all of this apply to the dynaudio system?

20. 07-31-2012 12:59 AM #19
      Nice write up! are you planning to upgrade your rear speakers as well? With these focal speakers fit in there as well? is there any way to run upgraded speaker wiring to the rear? could you recommend a good amp. Thanks!
      Last edited by Tradewinds22; 07-31-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat VR6 4Motion
      08-01-2012 02:40 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds22 View Post
      Nice write up!
      +2

I enjoyed the write up, sadly though only the adding dynamat is really of any help to me, as I have the dynaudio system in my car.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat VR6 4Motion
      08-01-2012 02:48 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by fneilss View Post

I have a plain old B6 2006 2.0T, with the standard, non-Dynaudio head and speakers, and one of the drivers side speakers has blown. Trying to figure out what's involved in replacing front speakers with better quality units if I'm going to be in there anyway...

I have heard from some that the standard head unit is not sufficient to drive more powerful aftermarket speakers. I find this unlikely - I listen at low to moderate levels, and the stock config provided plenty of volume for me - surely it can power speakers that have just a bit larger magnet? Or is there an impedance issue?

Thanks!

Neil
      Neil,
      You'll be happier if you have add a amp to your factory setup, you can get one for cheap as well if your short on money. Switching from the factory speakers to aftermarket, you might notice a difference, though how much really depends on what speakers you choose. You might goto crutchfield, take a look at their reviews, figure out what you want. I do that, then buy on ebay, never had a problem.

The factory head unit really isn't that much different power wise from an aftermarket unit in reality, though the aftermarket unit will have more functionality than your stock unit.

Your won't be able to add the dynaudio system's speakers to your car, so if that idea was in your head, just forget about it. You can build a nicer system for cheaper than the dynaudio system.

23. 08-01-2012 09:06 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
      +2

I enjoyed the write up, sadly though only the adding dynamat is really of any help to me, as I have the dynaudio system in my car.
      It's amazing what Dynamat can do, even for the standard speakers.

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0T 6MT/96 Passat GLX VR6/ 87 Scirocco 16V
      08-01-2012 10:00 AM #23
      Nice write up. I have Dynaudio but we did upgraded my buddys wagon system and it was a pain to drill out all the speakers and then added ribbits with threads.. to re install the new speakers.. but I Think your suggestion is better.

As for my set up, I did add one 12 Polk Momo to the Dynaudio system and now I have a bunch of rattles.. I have added insulation (Rammat) but never got to the doors.. which I will do today with Dynomatt.. so thanks for the insperation.

Oh my buddy said that he has seen the OEM head unit ruin aftermarket speakers.. so he suggest getting a head unit and speakers.. or head unit first and then speakers.

Oh another note.. we ended up breaking.. well my friend ended up breaking all the clips on the doors.. I think he only installed a one or two ... the weird thing is they dont rattle..

the clips are like 6 bucks each.. I think.. so

JT
      Last edited by x9t; 08-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.
      Passat B6 6MT 2.0TFSI, Spork Pkg, Bixenons, Giac,EVOMS Intake, Neuspeed SS, NS Rear S B, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit, Peloquin LSD, VF Mounts, Forge DV and FMIC, 18x9 Wheels,Badgeless Grille, Hidef Rear Bumper/Spoiler/Tips, Votex Side, Abt Front lip..
      Passat B4 5MT GLX VR6. Moddified Intake Box with K&N Filter, Borla Muffler... more to come.

25. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      passat bluemotion 1.9 tdi 08
      08-05-2012 09:00 PM #24
      what are those 2 other wires for (not bluebrown/redblue) im think about

Vehicles
      2016 PASSAT
      08-06-2012 02:48 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds22 View Post
      Nice write up! are you planning to upgrade your rear speakers as well? With these focal speakers fit in there as well? is there any way to run upgraded speaker wiring to the rear? could you recommend a good amp. Thanks!

Yes rear speakers will fit just about the same. And no you dont need to run upgraded speaker wire, the factory wire works just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast