Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, the verdict is... melted fuse box

1. 03-15-2012 05:04 PM #1
      Hey everyone, so I'm writing a follow up to my previous thread:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...mp-question...

Basically I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he tells me my fuse box was melted which is what caused 10 of my lights to go out. Not sure how this happens but I've read 2 other stories about this here on the forum.

Of course I called my dealership but they didn't have any appointments soon enough, so I took it to my local mechanic. Any chance I can write a letter to VW for re-reimbursement since I'm still under warranty? I just couldn't risk driving it around for another 3 weeks for my VW appointment.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '16 Oryx White R
      03-15-2012 05:14 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKimathi View Post
      Hey everyone, so I'm writing a follow up to my previous thread:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...mp-question...

Basically I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he tells me my fuse box was melted which is what caused 10 of my lights to go out. Not sure how this happens but I've read 2 other stories about this here on the forum.

Of course I called my dealership but they didn't have any appointments soon enough, so I took it to my local mechanic. Any chance I can write a letter to VW for re-reimbursement since I'm still under warranty? I just couldn't risk driving it around for another 3 weeks for my VW appointment.
      Probably not because Volkswagen would have to verify WHY your fuse box melted, and find the causal part. I would just try a different dealer.

4. 03-15-2012 05:42 PM #3
      Yeah, you're probably right. Ahhhh well

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI Autobahn ::: 2013 Ram Sport 1500
      03-16-2012 04:18 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by make_it_rainn View Post
      Probably not because Volkswagen would have to verify WHY your fuse box melted, and find the causal part. I would just try a different dealer.
      This ^^^... VWoA won't do anything if you take it to an outside mechanic especially if they are not a certified Audi / VW tech. VWoA is very strict when it comes to warranty problems and if you have an outside mechanic take care of the issues, it will most more than likely void some of your warranties. Well that is if the dealership finds out that an outside mechanic fixes a problem this extensive and it's not genuine vw parts. Won't your dealership give you a loaner? Anytime that I have had warranty work done and they had it or we're going to have it for a period of time, they gave me a loaner. If a loaner wasn't available they put me in a rental and they paid for it (I guess it depends on the delearship ) but I would beg for a loaner / rental, get forceful and threaten calling VWoA because it's bs that they are making you wait so long or even better, call VWoA and plead your case to see what they will do. If you tell them that you are sick of the way VW has treated you and that you will never buy another VW and that you will start looking into getting rid of the car for some other brand, they will bend over backwards to keep your business.... Trust me, I have experience at doing that! Haha... If I don't like what the dealership says or the way they would treat me, a simple phone call to VWoA worked every time... Let me know if you want the number, I do have it in my phone
      **Formerly known as NmyGLi_06**

Chapter 11 Dubs #85
      2012 VW GTI Autobahn 4dr :: Deep Black Pearlescent :: LED Interior :: GFB DV+ :: Dieselgeek Short Shifter :: Ksport Coilovers

7. 03-16-2012 12:48 PM #5
      Yeah you're absolutely right. I should've taken it to the dealership first and figured out the loaner situation. I still might put a call in to VWoA just to let them know about my experience. Thanks for your help man!

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI Autobahn ::: 2013 Ram Sport 1500
      03-16-2012 03:20 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKimathi View Post
      Yeah you're absolutely right. I should've taken it to the dealership first and figured out the loaner situation. I still might put a call in to VWoA just to let them know about my experience. Thanks for your help man!
      You're welcome
      **Formerly known as NmyGLi_06**

Chapter 11 Dubs #85
      2012 VW GTI Autobahn 4dr :: Deep Black Pearlescent :: LED Interior :: GFB DV+ :: Dieselgeek Short Shifter :: Ksport Coilovers

9. 10-10-2013 09:31 AM #7
      i've been getting the same thing on my 03 Jetta. There's more that we can do then just deal with it and replace the melted fuse box. Go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and file a complaint.

10. Member glifahrenheitcameron's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 gli fahrenheit, 65 bus, 67 bus, 81 caddy
      10-10-2013 01:30 PM #8
      No es bueno

Vehicles
      2010 2.0t jetta wolfburg(traded in) 2014 1.8t jetta se (turned in) 2011 MK6 GTD cjaa present
      10-10-2013 02:54 PM #9
      I had he same thing happen to me,Fuse melt the panel call vw no go said because i was outside my warr and only have powertrain warrtery vw would not fix it
      Built on a poorman's budget
      2005 vw reflex silver gti 20v 1.8t awp(totaled)
      2010 vw deep black pearl jetta wolfburg 2.0t ccta(traded in)
      2014 vw Platinum gray metallic jetta se 1.8t cpra (turned in)
      2011 vw Platinum gray metallic golf 2.0 tdi cjaa (present)

12. Member glifahrenheitcameron's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 gli fahrenheit, 65 bus, 67 bus, 81 caddy
      10-10-2013 03:14 PM #10
      I got very close to melting my inside fuse box when I was installing air ride on the car. I did an add a fuse for my compressor and didn't put strong enough fuses in it. Caught it before it melted the fuse box, but:

13. 04-04-2014 04:28 PM #11
      So, I found this thread after 6 of my bulbs went out at once. I checked the bulbs, they were all fine. I then checked the fuses, which were also fine (still intact, not burnt, melted, etc.). So finally I gave in and took it to the experts, who discovered that the fuse box was melted underneath and now I have to pay $442 to get it replaced.

I asked them why this wasn't a recall, because this melted fusebox is a known issue that is posted all over the web by vw owners. I mean, come on, melted?! You would think a fusebox stored in the hood would be built and installed to withstand HEAT.

Frustrating.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp
      05-11-2014 06:30 PM #12
      Just got a letter (two actually; one for each of our 2009 2.5 Jetta and 2009 GLI), Service Action 97AM, concerning 2009-2010 Jetta sedans and 2009 GTIs. I'm sure many of you have too: "...so that a new under hood fuse can be installed in your vehicle. The replacement of the fuse is to prevent premature failure due to possible degradation of the fuse's coating material."

Is that the problem here, and with several other threads like this?

The letter says that VW will also "review" requests for reimbursement for previous related repairs.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2014 12:30 PM #13
      ^^ I've made an appointment for tomorrow for one of our cars on this Service Action, and we'll do the other car the day after.

I just talked with the Service Advisor on the phone. He says that it's indeed the F16 30A fuse -- related to ABS and can cause all the lights to go out on one side of the car. See the last few posts in this thread:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...de-of-09-jetta

He says that they'll check the fuse box out, tighten connections if they're loose (apparently what causes the problem), and replace the F16 fuse if it's damaged. Just a few minutes of work.

Both our F16 fuses look fine; but it's good that they'll check out the connections, I assume underneath the fuse box...

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Salsa Red TDI DSG
      05-12-2014 08:04 PM #14
      I just had this done last week the day after it came out. I happened to have it in for another repair and they did this at the same time. Unfortunately the next morning my radio no longer worked and now they're scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened. The service advisor seemed pretty open to the idea that it was something that they did, but I don't have my hopes up.
      '10 Jetta TDI - Salsa Red DSG

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2014 09:31 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by thecause17 View Post
      Unfortunately the next morning my radio no longer worked
      Ouch. What kind of radio? If it didn't happen until the next morning, I kind of suspect it wasn't because of anything the repair shop did.

Hope you get it figured out. Let us know.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Salsa Red TDI DSG
      05-12-2014 09:45 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Marek K View Post
      Ouch. What kind of radio? If it didn't happen until the next morning, I kind of suspect it wasn't because of anything the repair shop did.

Hope you get it figured out. Let us know.
      Rcd-510. Yeah I thought the same thing too although I've been in the electrical field for several years and some failures are not always instantaneous, but that's usually when dealing with electrostatic discharge, which I don't think was the case here. If they're willing to take care of it for me that's fine by me since I already spent $800 to fix an exhaust valve and now it's getting a new dpf this week as well ( at least that's free).

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2014 10:16 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by thecause17 View Post
      Rcd-510
      Whew. Not that it's a consolation to you, but my 2009 GLI has an RNS-510. And my wife's 2.5 Jetta (also affected) has the Premium Stereo with 6-disc CD changer.

Of course, that and $3.00 will buy you a cup of coffee...

Good luck , in any case...

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Salsa Red TDI DSG
      05-12-2014 10:23 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Marek K View Post
      Whew. Not that it's a consolation to you, but my 2009 GLI has an RNS-510. And my wife's 2.5 Jetta (also affected) has the Premium Stereo with 6-disc CD changer.

Of course, that and $3.00 will buy you a cup of coffee...

Good luck , in any case...
      Well it is a 6-disc changer, premium 8 touch screen.
      Last edited by thecause17; 05-13-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport
      05-13-2014 04:04 AM #19
      Just got this letter myself today. Time to go the dealership for what will hopefully be the last time ever.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-13-2014 04:45 PM #20
      Got the work done today. Rather, wife took my GLI in and got it done.

CUSTOMER REQUEST 97AM SERVICE UPDATE (POSITION F-16 FUSE)
      LOOSE CONNECTION
      PERFORM 97AM SERVICE UPDATE (REPLACE FUSE)

I can't tell if there actually was a loose connection, or whether that's their standard blurb. But they did replace the fuse -- there's a different 30A fuse in that position now (solid green rather than clear green).

Radio works.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2014 07:32 AM #21
      OK, I don't understand something. If the problem is potentially loose connections in or around the under-hood fuse box, and only for certain model years and VINs, then it sounds like an assembly problem.

But it includes not only Jettas and GLIs (assembled in Puebla), but also GTIs (obviously assembled in Wolfsburg).

Ah, I just figured it out. I'll bet the fuse box assemblies were all been made in the same place (Europe someplace?), and that's where the problem was. ???

24. Member
      Vehicles
      09 GTI : 88 GLI
      11-16-2018 03:19 PM #22
      BUMPing this old thread, as I have the same melted fuse box, as of this AM.
      Pics:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post112785391

I have a service appt scheduled for next week at the dealership I bought it at. I also stopped at another one local to my job, and the impression I got there is that there's no coverage/recalls based off my VIN, and I'll be subject to repair costs. My question is, do we know what connectors need to be checked and tightened?

The ABS module recall was performed under recall back in May of this year, replacing the ABS module... Are said connections affected during that repair? Leading up to today's failure, I have noticed vibrations in the pedal, as if the ABS is kicking on, while at a red light, or on a slight incline, or even parked (say the last few weeks). Just would like to gather info in the event I'm on the hook for repair costs, in which case it may get taken off the road and fixed when I can...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      11-16-2018 07:37 PM #23
      You can check yourself with VW to see if your VIN is covered here:

http://www.vw.com/owners/recalls/

That certainly sounds like the same issue. I seem to remember that huge number s of 2009 (and other) Mk5's were affected -- my wife's Jetta was, and my GLI -- and GTIs were too.

No, I don't think that work connected with the ABS module recall would have found this. As I remember, the F15 fuse has something to do with the ABS system; but all the work on the 97AM recall was right here at the fuse box.

VW seems to have at least been replacing the existing F15 fuse with apparently a beefier one. I don't know exactly what connections they also checked underneath the fuse box...

26. Member
      Vehicles
      09 GTI : 88 GLI
      11-17-2018 02:56 PM #24
      No open recalls on my VIN. After speaking with two dealerships, the impression I get is that all repair costs would be on me, and it would be up to me to take it up with VWoA for any sort of reimbursement. I will read through the 97AM service action and likely do all that myself and I think I may cancel my appt. Car needs a water pump, etc etc etc... I may line up other transportation and rip into it.

27. Member
      11-17-2018 05:14 PM #25
      I think the prices for that complete job was about $400-$500, you can buy the part for about $150. Its a straight forward job that you should be able to handle, not sure VwoA will reimbursed you though. All that headache for a $1 fuse. If I owned one of those MY GTI or Jetta I would swap out the fuse even if the VIN was not on list. Again this is fuse location SB16(F16) and not F15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast