So today I picked up the title to the donor car for my attempt to build a car that can hold it's own at the Grassroots $2012 challenge this year.
For those not familiar, every year GRM holds a run what you brung competition in Florida sometime around the end of September... the only catch is you can not spend more than $2012 acquiring and/or building the car.
It's a multidisciplinary event involving an autocross, a 1/4 drag and a concorse event (it can't look like total $hit either), and since my attempt to get a car together in time for last year's event turned into the mk2 solo2 car i co-own with MrMook... this year I've decided to give it another go.
Yes, i know i only have 3 months to do this build. Yes i know things will break and i'll need enough time to shake it down and repair it.
Here we go.
The plan is "simple", or something. Take a car that's already been purpose built, put a 180hp 1.8t in it, put an 02m in it, and maybe if i have time, throw the 75 shot ZEX system from my Audi 5000CS in it to give 3rd and 4th gears some extra oomph for the drag competition. I have a TON of Audi 5000 parts laying around here, so there's a good chance that an 5000 turbo intercooler will find itself up in front of the radiator, along with a 5000 turbo oil cooler, and other bits. I'd consider throwing a k26 on it, but between manifold mounting issues, and firewall clearance, it just probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.
Some of you may recognize this car from a number of years ago... It was built by John A with his father. The car then changed hands and ended up with someone in Pottstown, PA, before ending up with Mk1Madness, who then sold it to me.
clean dent... "it'll polish out"
the widest kirkey racing seat i've ever seen (it's for sale, btw, i'll get the exact sizing/measurements of it soon)
aftermarket sunroof! (ventilation isn't the worst thing in the world... i guess but i may decide to replace the roof skin... we will see.)
this side doesn't have any dents.
the drilling on the passenger c-pillar overlaps some holes... this will need to be addressed.
i think i have a set of late tail lamps laying around somewhere.
looks like some riveted aluminum. hrm...
i'm going to need to pick up some helper springs and spacing rings from a-1racing. floaty springs scare me.
old, what looks like autotech header (comes with brace that's just not mounted)
the car also comes with other bits and pieces that aren't pictured! and yes, i'm thoroughly excited!
When John A was campaigning it... it won, a lot.
this is the lump... awp motor with uncut engine harness, been sitting on a stand in the corner for a year.
and here's the drivetrain... 02M swap (pedals and cluster master cylinder are still on there way). picked up from fukndubn96 for practically a song. i should note that the dual mass flywheel is a heavy pig... is there any way to lighten it w/o replacing it?
per the rules of the build (having a maximum budget of $2012 and all), i will be posting actual costs of everything once everything is together. also per the rules, i'm able to recoupe up to half of the cost of the vehicle by selling parts from it, so the seat will be for sale first (as it's simply just too big for me), and other bits may be for sale (or for trade) later.
so here's what it looks like i'll need (parts wise) to get this project built...
- a pair of eurovan solid axles (i'll splice them with the axles that came on the car and see if the 80mm outer CVs hold up)
- late 'rocco axles (maybe)
- downpipe (fab, or build)
- exhaust (i have a 2 1/4" non-cat mk1 techtonics exhaust, i'd be happy to trade for a 2 1/2"
- immobilizer defeat software, i have the stock ecu that came with the motor... however i'm trying not to run the mk4 cluster
- clutch disk (i'm going to try to reuse the crusty flywheel and pressure plates if i can)
- battery (car comes with braket for a braille type battery up front)
i may need stuff like
- i should do a timing belt/water pump on the motor
- ignition stuff (plugs, wires, hopefully i won't need to replace the coils)
- brake stuff... i still need to audit what comes with the car
nice to haves
- super cheap used 02M LSD (peloquin, wavetrac, quaife, etc)
- software upgrade (on top of the basic immobilizer defeat)
- better injectors
- shine rear bar (rear beam is drilled for one, but it was removed at some point)
- pair of skinny rear tires that i can mount on space-savers for the drag event
- camber/castor plates
- steering column hub extender (brings the wheel closer to the driver)
- motor mount brackets (i'll follow CrewCabCaddy's example here
- intercooler piping (i'll use what stock piping i can of course)
- front cross member support
- lower tie bar (as i've heard rumors that the OMP bar that comes with the car won't clear the 02M)