Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E Prepared Solo2 car + 1.8T + 02M = Grassroots $2012 build

Vehicles
      Nothing all that street-able
      05-20-2012 01:53 AM #1
      So today I picked up the title to the donor car for my attempt to build a car that can hold it's own at the Grassroots $2012 challenge this year.

For those not familiar, every year GRM holds a run what you brung competition in Florida sometime around the end of September... the only catch is you can not spend more than $2012 acquiring and/or building the car.

It's a multidisciplinary event involving an autocross, a 1/4 drag and a concorse event (it can't look like total $hit either), and since my attempt to get a car together in time for last year's event turned into the mk2 solo2 car i co-own with MrMook... this year I've decided to give it another go.

Yes, i know i only have 3 months to do this build. Yes i know things will break and i'll need enough time to shake it down and repair it.

Here we go.

The plan is "simple", or something. Take a car that's already been purpose built, put a 180hp 1.8t in it, put an 02m in it, and maybe if i have time, throw the 75 shot ZEX system from my Audi 5000CS in it to give 3rd and 4th gears some extra oomph for the drag competition. I have a TON of Audi 5000 parts laying around here, so there's a good chance that an 5000 turbo intercooler will find itself up in front of the radiator, along with a 5000 turbo oil cooler, and other bits. I'd consider throwing a k26 on it, but between manifold mounting issues, and firewall clearance, it just probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Some of you may recognize this car from a number of years ago... It was built by John A with his father. The car then changed hands and ended up with someone in Pottstown, PA, before ending up with Mk1Madness, who then sold it to me.

clean dent... "it'll polish out"

the widest kirkey racing seat i've ever seen (it's for sale, btw, i'll get the exact sizing/measurements of it soon)

aftermarket sunroof! (ventilation isn't the worst thing in the world... i guess but i may decide to replace the roof skin... we will see.)

this side doesn't have any dents.

the drilling on the passenger c-pillar overlaps some holes... this will need to be addressed.

i think i have a set of late tail lamps laying around somewhere.

looks like some riveted aluminum. hrm...

i'm going to need to pick up some helper springs and spacing rings from a-1racing. floaty springs scare me.

old, what looks like autotech header (comes with brace that's just not mounted)

the car also comes with other bits and pieces that aren't pictured! and yes, i'm thoroughly excited!

When John A was campaigning it... it won, a lot.

this is the lump... awp motor with uncut engine harness, been sitting on a stand in the corner for a year.

and here's the drivetrain... 02M swap (pedals and cluster master cylinder are still on there way). picked up from fukndubn96 for practically a song. i should note that the dual mass flywheel is a heavy pig... is there any way to lighten it w/o replacing it?

per the rules of the build (having a maximum budget of $2012 and all), i will be posting actual costs of everything once everything is together. also per the rules, i'm able to recoupe up to half of the cost of the vehicle by selling parts from it, so the seat will be for sale first (as it's simply just too big for me), and other bits may be for sale (or for trade) later.

so here's what it looks like i'll need (parts wise) to get this project built...

• a pair of eurovan solid axles (i'll splice them with the axles that came on the car and see if the 80mm outer CVs hold up)
      • late 'rocco axles (maybe)
      • downpipe (fab, or build)
      • exhaust (i have a 2 1/4" non-cat mk1 techtonics exhaust, i'd be happy to trade for a 2 1/2"
      • immobilizer defeat software, i have the stock ecu that came with the motor... however i'm trying not to run the mk4 cluster
      • clutch disk (i'm going to try to reuse the crusty flywheel and pressure plates if i can)
      • battery (car comes with braket for a braille type battery up front)

i may need stuff like

• i should do a timing belt/water pump on the motor
      • ignition stuff (plugs, wires, hopefully i won't need to replace the coils)
      • brake stuff... i still need to audit what comes with the car

nice to haves

• super cheap used 02M LSD (peloquin, wavetrac, quaife, etc)
      • software upgrade (on top of the basic immobilizer defeat)
      • better injectors
      • shine rear bar (rear beam is drilled for one, but it was removed at some point)
      • pair of skinny rear tires that i can mount on space-savers for the drag event
      • camber/castor plates
      • steering column hub extender (brings the wheel closer to the driver)

fabrication list

• motor mount brackets (i'll follow CrewCabCaddy's example here
      • intercooler piping (i'll use what stock piping i can of course)
      • front cross member support
      • lower tie bar (as i've heard rumors that the OMP bar that comes with the car won't clear the 02M)

Last edited by naterkane; 05-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 05-20-2012 03:39 AM #2
      errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i don't see this ending well.
      I'm a giant.. My name is Matias
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      Yes...but let's pretend there is no internet and you have to fix the problem by thinking through a solution.
      Tell me your solution, and then I will give you my idea to fix the problem.
      Cheers, WWR.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI
      05-20-2012 04:07 AM #3
      @ rodknock.

to you mr. kane for doing something fun with a mk1
      Quote Originally Posted by SVT2888 View Post
      The car scene, much like the music scene, has a lot of genre's and even genre's within genre's. But, like those who call themselves real music fans, if you're a real automotive enthusiast you can find something in every genre that you like.
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      Rip the ebrake. Neutral. Get bitches
      Function is the form.

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 04:26 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rod_knock View Post
      errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i don't see this ending well.
      why's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cushy View Post
      to you mr. kane for doing something fun with a mk1
      thanks!
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      05-20-2012 05:57 AM #5
      there is no way you have all that and that swap, plus software, plus the car and things you plan on adding, for less than $2012.

i call BS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 06:06 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      there is no way you have all that and that swap, plus software, plus the car and things you plan on adding, for less than $2012.

i call BS

i wasn't planning on taking on an 02M swap, but the price was right, so i'm taking a risk by complicating the build. it's also possible that it may be the least expensive trans option that i have available to me.

if the axles work out... it'll be bulletproof.
      if they don't, i'll throw a 020 w/ quaife in (that i legitimately purchased for $600) and hope i don't blow it up. i'm also pretty sure i can build axles for less than $200.

car $300... ask Mk1Madness
      trans swap $400... ask fukndubn96
      motor/harness/ecu/etc... $300 (i can't get in touch with the kid i bought the motor from) so the GRM folks will have to trust my hand written receipt on this one.

left over $1012

calling B.S. is rude, especially when everything regarding this build, per the rules, need to be 100% transparent.
      Last edited by naterkane; 05-20-2012 at 06:09 AM.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 06:40 AM #7
      not rude, do you have receipts? if not, then all is null. word off mouth can't prove legitimacy to everyone

:HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 07:32 AM #8
      receipts will be provided to the GRM organizers, per the rules.

and yes, it was rude, and unnecessary.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

10. Member
      05-20-2012 09:36 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by naterkane View Post

Keep up the good work, anyone who's done a GRM car knows just how cheap you can do things if you are resourceful. Others, like your detractors above, who seem to wrench with their checkbooks wont be able to understand.

GRM has seen much wilder builds come in under the budget cap, you just have to be resourceful and find the right deals when you can.

05-20-2012 10:07 PM #10

Can I give you my bar tab as the recipe for the $300

Actually it was only $120 for me.

I have a recipe ready, I have a book I use for Toys For Tots purchases and such.
      Scuba If I got in a cab and Esher was driving, I'd get right out. Then I'd ponder how drunk I was that I entered the rear of a 2dr rabbit and thought it was a cab.

2015 Mk1Madness Fun in the woods!

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 10:09 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness View Post
      Can I give you my bar tab as the recipe for the $300

Actually it was only $120 for me.

I have a recipe ready, I have a book I use for Toys For Tots purchases and such.
      next time i come down, i've got your pint (or two).
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

05-20-2012 10:13 PM #12

• battery (car comes with braket for a braille type battery up front) There is a battery in back, may just need a charge

nice to haves

• shine rear bar (rear beam is drilled for one, but it was removed at some point) Sorry, always wanted one
      • pair of skinny rear tires that i can mount on space-savers for the drag event It's on 13" steelies with skinnyish tires
      • camber/castor plates I have an extra set

fabrication list

• lower tie bar (as i've heard rumors that the OMP bar that comes with the car won't clear the 02M)
        I have a few you can check out
      Little update
      Scuba If I got in a cab and Esher was driving, I'd get right out. Then I'd ponder how drunk I was that I entered the rear of a 2dr rabbit and thought it was a cab.

2015 Mk1Madness Fun in the woods!

14. Geriatric Member akabigmike's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mk1/mk3/chevys
      05-21-2012 03:08 AM #13
      Sent PM about seat!
      DCIVW

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 03:52 AM #14

well, then you need thicker skin. not hating, just questioning. besides, you post it up, expect anything.

What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 01:09 PM #15
      This weekend I have to go to Boston for a wedding, so it looks like this friday I'm going to be stopping by Shine Racing in Massachusetts to pick up a rear sway bar!

If you need/want a Mk1 Shine rear bar, they have tons of them on hand, and they're currently discounted and under closeout for $150.
      http://srsvw.com/
      http://www.hbtechnology.net/clients/...asp?page_id=22
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 03:06 PM #16
      realizing that I need to make room for this build, I spent two evenings building a new storage loft in the shop. the extra 144sq ft will come in nicely for storing anything light enough for me to carry up a ladder.

I also realized that I need to get my mk4 daily out of there (it was at the end of a 7 car pile up in CT last february.

so today I'm pulling out the rear quarter and prepping it for paint.

some weldable primer helps me see where the remaining low spots are

tapatalk rotated the images for some reason, sorry about that.

Best,
      Nater Kane
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 09:30 AM #17
      it looks like i have a delay in picking up the car and bringing it to the shop since last night the vanagon that i was going to tow the car with decided to blow it's coolant distributor, and it's going to be a few days before i can get a new one in. :bang head:

i'm still just collecting bits and pieces for the build, but things are already started to make me feel like Sisyphus.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

19. 06-01-2012 12:58 PM #18
      good luck
      https://www.youtube.com/bennyobscene

Drift Car Build! - now with (V8!) drift car content!

Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 06:23 PM #19
      So we're currently looking for someone who can bench flash the 1.8T's ecu to do an immobilizer defeat for a reasonable price. As well as still trying to source early eurovan solid axles and a clutch pedal assembly off an 02a or 02j/m car.

if anyone has any leads or ideas, please let me know.

i spoke to someone at the GRM office today, and they're looking forward to seeing this car in Florida!
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      mk1(1.8t) mk4(2.0)
      06-11-2012 06:59 PM #20
      check out my thread how i solved the clutch problem, any junkyard has the parts needed, mk4 clutchpedal master and golf 3 vr6 slave with a small bracket on the steering collum, works 3 years already

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 07:17 PM #21
      I have the 02M hydraulic line and slave... just need ANY pedal and master. I'll splice hydraulic lines as needed.

Best,
      Nater Kane
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 04:08 AM #22
      There hasn't been very much to report, which is why I haven't updated the thread.

This past saturday I rented a dolly to go pick up the car in Philly, but due to the day being a gigantic cluster%ck, I never made it out of Brooklyn.

I've been continuing to collect parts and work out some details as the physical build is considerably less involved than the planning that needs to go into things.

So far i've written emails for general assistance/advice/direction to a number of companies and people who have chosen not to respond to me and ignore my telephone calls, emails or both.

I still don't have a clutch pedal/clutch master cylinder setup for the car. I've gotten tons of emails from my WTB thread, but it blows my mind that someone can read words like "fixed budget imposed by competition rules" and then try to sell me a corrado 02a pedal assembly and clutch master for $350-450 (canadian even!).

I still don't have a solution for a bench flash to remove the immobilizer from the ECU, i've spoken to both Revo and Unitronic on the phone, sent emails where I was asked to send emails, and then received no response or acknowledgement what so ever.

What other companies offer immo-defeat via a bench flash? I don't want to wire everything up and have to tow the car to wherever just to get it flashed... i'd have to budget for that and there just isn't enough money to do more than mail off the ECU, and wait for it to come back.

i'm really starting to think megasquirt might be a viable, but giant pain in the ass option.

i also need to get my hands on a stock 1.8t down pipe. i'm content with building the exhaust on the cheap, i'd really rather modify a stock down pipe to fit than have to fab one from scratch (this will be my first time building an exhaust that hasn't been pre-bent for me by the wonderful guys at Techtonics (i've only run TT exhausts for the past 15 years, so you could say that i've always had it 'easy' in the fitting an exhaust dept.)

however, if someone would just so happen to have an old, whatever, 2.5" mk1 exhaust setup, i'd be super happy to take it off of their hands for them.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      06-25-2012 11:36 AM #23
      I have a set of Sparco sprint seats I will sell you cheap for the project. One even has a bracket I made for a mk1. Im also on the island, about 35 min out at the end of the southern state parkway.
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 11:59 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by -teknien- View Post
      I have a set of Sparco sprint seats I will sell you cheap for the project. One even has a bracket I made for a mk1. Im also on the island, about 35 min out at the end of the southern state parkway.
      that sounds promising. I'll send you a PM.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 01:58 AM #25
      so yeah it's been awhile without any updates... why? b/c i haven't done anything... been way too busy opening my shop/starting a new business.

i sold the O2M swap and instead decided to go with an O2A. if anyone knows of a wrecked Mk4, i could really use the pedal area of the firewall, as well as drive-by-wire pedals, and clutch master cylinder. so if you gots, let me knows.

i have just over a month left to build the car, and shake it down before towing it to florida.

so tonight, things started happening.

careful kids, don't pull a motor out of the bottom without someone giving you a hand/adult supervision. i'm an adult, but my vision isn't all that super.
      Best,
      Nater Kane
      Motörshed Inc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast