Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2011 Jetta TDI stalls easily in first

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      98 passat 20Vturbo
      06-23-2012 12:09 AM #1
      I have 50,000 km on this car and hav been frustrated since I got it. It stalls easily in first gear when I am accelerating, I either have to release the clutch just right or rev it really high. Sometimes when I am going around a corner on second gear and slow down too much it will also stall out. I have complained to the dealership and was informed that it is a touchy transmission. Not very helpfully.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Tiguan SE
      06-23-2012 02:55 AM #2
      Yep, all 2009+ CR diesels with manual transmissions are easy to stall. This is because the ECU will not allow you to lug the engine. If rpms drop too low (about 750-800 rpm) the ECU just shuts off the engine. There is no catching it and keeping it going, it just quits. A good tune helps, but the only real solution is practice. You need to become very familiar with the clutch's grab point and give it enough throttle so that the rpm does not drop below that magic number. Practice starting off without touching the accelerator pedal. When you can do this without stalling, you have the problem at least half fixed. I have driven manuals all my life (over 45 years) and I stalled my '09 Jetta before I left the dealer's lot. it was a bit embarrassing. Now with almost 50k miles, it is not a problem anymore. Practice, practice, practice - the only real fix is in your feet. It is just the way the ECU was designed.

Have Fun!

Don
      2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten)
      2018 VW Tiguan SE - Pure White with NO sunroof (I live in the desert), but I did get fog lights.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      98 passat 20Vturbo
      06-23-2012 09:31 AM #3
      Is it hard to put an older pre 09 ecu in a 11 vehicle?

06-23-2012 12:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
      Is it hard to put an older pre 09 ecu in a 11 vehicle?
      To answer your question I would just about say its impossible due to the design of the engine. There were no CR engines pre-09 so there would be no option for another ECU. Your best bet would be a tune, I've heard great things about them on this chassis. Look up Malone Tuning
      I <3 Rudolph

Vehicles
      02 TT Quattro gt3076r, 92 Corrado, 93 Corrado, 11 Jetta TDI, 07 Tundra
      07-02-2012 11:25 PM #5
      We have the same complaint with my wife's 2011 tdi. It truly is the most touchy manual I've ever owned. I have a corrado, 1.8t jetta, and tt in my driveway right now that are all way easier to drive. And when it stalls it's violent!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      07-04-2012 12:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v GTI Guy View Post
      We have the same complaint with my wife's 2011 tdi. It truly is the most touchy manual I've ever owned. I have a corrado, 1.8t jetta, and tt in my driveway right now that are all way easier to drive. And when it stalls it's violent!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

diesel compression will do that!
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Vehicles
      2012 Tdi MkVI, Air Cooled 2180cc Porche Sand Rail
      02-15-2013 08:52 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by fastinradford View Post
      diesel compression will do that!
      Yea i stalled in second the first day i got my 2012 and it felt like hitting a brick wall ,It was loud too. sounded like the engine just completly locked. These diesels are extremely high compression and if you don't press the electric pedal down far enough the engine just stops HARD.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      02-15-2013 09:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Catarpillar View Post
      Yea i stalled in second the first day i got my 2012 and it felt like hitting a brick wall ,It was loud too. sounded like the engine just completly locked. These diesels are extremely high compression and if you don't press the electric pedal down far enough the engine just stops HARD.
      to help that and for the original poster as well, you could always try getting a sprint booster as well to help remove the stupid lag on electronic pedals.

I have one in my 06 TDI and it does make a different on gear changing and such. the pedal reaction is more like a cable accelerator so its probably more what you're used to.

I learned to drive stick on a 1985 porsche carrera lmao. so it was a pain to learn with no power steering, a heavy as well clutch, and a weird gas pedal.
      My daily driver TDI is DSG, but I drove my buddys new TDI (and I've driven/owned plenty of manual cars) and it was just terrible to drive stick. must have stalled at least 6 times before we made it to the end of the street before I got the hang of it. hell my friends brand new wrx sti was even easier fresh from the dealer (I mean fresh he picked it up drove it off the lot and then let me try it and it wasnt even that bad and its brand new)

Like the above posts say though, all you can really do is practice practice practice, and possibly try a tune maybe. I have malone in mine...but mind you its a full custom tune to support all the other mods.
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Bags are for bitches
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
      screw all you guys, i'm just gonna get a forklift and every time i stop i'm flipping my car upside down. beat THAT low. that's negative low!!!
      Toronto/Scarborough area Vagcom owner

Vehicles
      02-15-2013 11:14 PM #9
      Damn i would totally buy that sprint booster if they made it for a 2012 tdi.

Vehicles
      2010 Infiniti G37x
      02-16-2013 10:07 AM #10
      The compression really is the culprit here - I have heard people replacing some, if not all, of the motor mounts and that seems to help a bit with the "jerkiness" of the motor. Also after I've been using Opti-Lube XPD, my CR runs incredibly smooth - it's like the jerkiness disappeared.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      02-17-2013 09:33 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Catarpillar View Post
      Damn i would totally buy that sprint booster if they made it for a 2012 tdi.
      I'm pretty sure they do?
      The shop by me that sells them advertises that they have one for a 2012...pretty sure a 2011 would work as well? Same engine etc no?

Can anyone verify? I'm not majorly familiar with the MK6 TDI...I lost a lot of respect for the MK6 when I found out its dependent rear suspension lol.
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Bags are for bitches
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
      screw all you guys, i'm just gonna get a forklift and every time i stop i'm flipping my car upside down. beat THAT low. that's negative low!!!
      Toronto/Scarborough area Vagcom owner

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 335d
      02-18-2013 10:31 PM #12
      Normal for the CR's, nothing like the old ALH or even PD cars... Can't lug these things around that's for sure..

And LOL @ dependent rear suspension. VW has been using solid rear beams for a long time, absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Vehicles
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      02-18-2013 11:06 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      Normal for the CR's, nothing like the old ALH or even PD cars... Can't lug these things around that's for sure..

And LOL @ dependent rear suspension. VW has been using solid rear beams for a long time, absolutely nothing wrong with them.
      I know right? in the A chassis there is only indi-suspension in one generation, the mk5.
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Vehicles
      02-19-2013 02:26 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by JoeChitussi View Post
      I'm pretty sure they do?
      The shop by me that sells them advertises that they have one for a 2012...pretty sure a 2011 would work as well? Same engine etc no?

Can anyone verify? I'm not majorly familiar with the MK6 TDI...I lost a lot of respect for the MK6 when I found out its dependent rear suspension lol.
      so i went to the sprint boost website and they do have one , you have to click on passat and its listed under there.

strange , but i guess the engines are just the same , i think i might call i don't know. anyone else have one?

I dont know about universal parts though wouldnt the passat have adblu injection so it would be different .

Vehicles
      02-19-2013 02:28 AM #15
      it looks super easy to do a rear swap , subframe, carm, wheel bearings et. etc , couldnt be harder than an xpert lego or kinnekt kit lol>

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 335d
      02-19-2013 06:41 PM #16
      Tuning boxes are a waste of time and $$$.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Tiguan SE
      02-20-2013 02:43 AM #17
      Everybody is talking about spending money and somehow modifying the car to deal with this stalling issue. There is a much cheaper way to deal with it - practice. It just takes a little time to learn to deal with the engine stalling and the clutches grab point. It's really not that difficult. These new TDIs are different from other cars. The hydraulic clutch and the drive-by-wire accelerator pedal combination does take some getting used to, but that's really all there is to it. I stalled my car before I even left the dealer and I stalled it a number of times in the first few weeks (and I've never owned any car with an auto transmission in over 40 years of driving). However, I never stall it any more. The engine hasn't changed and the clutch hasn't changed. What has changed is my habits. I have adapted and so can you. It's not rocket science, it's just driving the way the car wants you to do it.

Your feet (and how you use them) is the answer to the stalling "problem". Live and learn.

Have Fun!

Don
      2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten)
      2018 VW Tiguan SE - Pure White with NO sunroof (I live in the desert), but I did get fog lights.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 335d
      02-20-2013 01:06 PM #18
      Don pretty much nailed it. First time I drove my parents '09 Jetta TDI I was like, WTF IS THIS?!?!? Completely different then any other TDI I've driven.

Took all of about 5 mins to figure it out, ever since then no issues.