VWVortex.com - A/C compressor kicks on and off, no cold air, with video
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: A/C compressor kicks on and off, no cold air, with video

1. 06-24-2012 05:22 PM #1
      Trying to get some cool air in my 99 4.0L wrangler. The compressor will kick on for a second, then off for 10. I thought it was just low on R134, then i hooked the gauge up. Is this normal? How can i get cold air back?

BTW, when it gets to the red and drops, that's when the compressor kicks on.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-24-2012 07:31 PM #2
      no A/C gurus in here?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '76 F250, '13 Civic Si
      06-24-2012 07:41 PM #3
      This isn't an old R12 system, you cannot judge the amount of refrigerant in the system based on pressures. You have a leak somewhere, and don't have enough of a charge left in the system for it to work.

You can get your cold air back by taking it to someone who has the equipment necessary to properly service the a/c.
      It may be slow, but at least it's ugly!

5. 06-24-2012 08:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post

You can get your cold air back by taking it to someone who has the equipment necessary to properly service the a/c.
      would rather not. if it needs some charge so be it, no biggie.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 SRT8 GC
      06-24-2012 10:06 PM #5
      It's kicking off because of high pressure, You need to evacuate the system and charge it with the correct WEIGHT of R134A not by pressure alone.

Then see if the problem persists. Also make sure your fans are working correctly, if they don't come on or your fan clutch is toast then you'll get high pressure as well.

A compressor clutch failure will not cause a quick cycle like this. The pressure guage is evidence that it's a high pressure issue.
      Last edited by Brendon1098; 06-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Vehicles
      Please See Signature.
      06-24-2012 10:10 PM #6
      Had the same problem in my GTI. Turned out that the AC clutch was bad.

8. Member
      06-25-2012 12:13 AM #7
      Is your condenser fan coming on? If not the system will build pressures rapidly and then cycle itself off. One way to tell if it is your condenser fan is to drive about 50 - 60 mph steadily on the highway, especially with the sun down; if your a/c blows cold then but constantly cycles at idle you likely have a bad fan.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

9. 06-25-2012 11:19 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Is your condenser fan coming on?
      IDK. i thought the wranglers only had one thermostatic fan. i'll look though

BTW i don't think it has ever got cold, even on the highway

06-25-2012 11:25 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      no A/C gurus in here?

Happened with a truck at work. The desiccant bag in the dryer ruptured and clogged the little orifice tupe ( tiny little thing in the line that creates the pressure drop necessary for the system to work). The system would cycle on and off but would not blow cold. Just an idea.

Vehicles
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      06-25-2012 11:26 AM #10
      you need a manifold to read BOTH high and low side pressures. without this it's impossible to accurately diagnose an AC system.
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

06-25-2012 11:28 AM #11
      Too hard to diagnose with a $20 PepBoys "Fill Yer Own AC Gauge Thingy." I would start by taking it somewhere that can properly diagnose it.... most likely just needs evacuated and refilled to the proper weight.

13. 06-25-2012 11:47 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      you need a manifold to read BOTH high and low side pressures. without this it's impossible to accurately diagnose an AC system.
      i'll try and get a hold of one of these. autozone USED to rent them, doubtful they still do though

14. Member
      06-25-2012 12:44 PM #13
      i thought the wranglers only had one thermostatic fan.
      The 4.0L Wrangler has a mechanical fan, not an electric one. If the fan were to blame, he'd have already started a different thread about his engine overheating.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      06-25-2012 01:31 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
      Had the same problem in my GTI. Turned out that the AC clutch was bad.
      This. The clutch is a wear item and when the gap gets too large, it never engages.

On my Saab, you can remove the AC clutch and pull out a few shims (washers) and then the clutch can engage.

06-25-2012 01:32 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      This. The clutch is a wear item and when the gap gets too large, it never engages.

On my Saab, you can remove the AC clutch and pull out a few shims (washers) and then the clutch can engage.
      It's pretty obvious the clutch is engaging.... that isn't the problem.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      06-25-2012 01:44 PM #16
      Yes.

Having a gauge on both sides will allow him to see what's going on and how the hi and low side are behaving.

This is a simple example of what you can diagnose if you have both readings

Last edited by @McMike; 06-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Vehicles
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      06-25-2012 01:45 PM #17
      i'll try and get a hold of one of these. autozone USED to rent them, doubtful they still do though
      you may have a restriction in the system, and the only way to find out is with a manifold....once we have high/low readings, we can better diagnose the problem.
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg (sold) 2011 Ram 1500
      06-25-2012 01:45 PM #18
      AC guy here....you have too much of a charge in your system. the compressor kicks in and starts to build up the pressure. the system is then shutting off on a high pressure limit switch. the system needs to be evacuated and charged correctly.

20. 06-25-2012 02:43 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      It's pretty obvious the clutch is engaging.... that isn't the problem.
      it is engaging

you may have a restriction in the system, and the only way to find out is with a manifold....once we have high/low readings, we can better diagnose the problem.
      will do

Quote Originally Posted by sublimesurfer1.8T View Post
      AC guy here....you have too much of a charge in your system. the compressor kicks in and starts to build up the pressure. the system is then shutting off on a high pressure limit switch. the system needs to be evacuated and charged correctly.
      the pressure drops when the compressor clutch engages

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 02:58 PM #20
      it is engaging

will do

the pressure drops when the compressor clutch engages
      which is normal, but we need to see both pressures.....
      Larry

22. 06-25-2012 03:20 PM #21
      which is normal, but we need to see both pressures.....
      i was just explaining that the pressure is NOT building when the A/C clutch is engaged as sublimesurfer was suggesting. it builds, hits red, compresser kicks on, back down to under green, kicks off, repeat

06-25-2012 03:25 PM #22
      i was just explaining that the pressure is NOT building when the A/C clutch is engaged as sublimesurfer was suggesting. it builds, hits red, compresser kicks on, back down to under green, kicks off, repeat
      That's how it should work.... just based on your video, I would guess that it needs more refrigerant in the system, but there's really no way to tell.

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 03:45 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      That's how it should work.... just based on your video, I would guess that it needs more refrigerant in the system, but there's really no way to tell.
      no.

it's either:

A) Overcharged

or

B) has a blockage

again without seeing the high side pressure we are all just guessing.
      Larry

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Dodge Journey 3.6 R/T AWD
      06-25-2012 07:32 PM #24
      I think I saw similar performance (tho I never looked at a gauge myself, but the compressor was turning off/on and luke-warm/half cool air would come out) on my Volvo when the water separator/dryer was blocked. The Volvo AC mechanic said it's a common problem on older AC systems, most people tend to not think about it, ignore it and refill yearly until the system destroys itself. Could have been fixed for a $80 separator, $20 in seals, and $100-200 in time and refrigerant. Could this be a problem on his car too?