VWVortex.com - Mysterious 3 piece wheel clicking...searched...need help!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysterious 3 piece wheel clicking...searched...need help!

1. 08-30-2012 02:20 PM #26
      Update: The front wheels were switched to the rear and the clicking noise went to the rear.

At this point I think it would be safe to say that those 2 wheels have something that is causing it to click. Specifically those two wheels since the other rear wheels didn't make noise at all. Just the ones that were in the front, and then in the back for testing purposes.

I'm gonna get the car aligned later this week but I doubt that'll cure the problem of the clicking following those 2 wheels.

On another note, I installed rear lower control arms from MCA and I have a TON of clearance now and my airlift XL slam rears don't touch the control arm cup at all! Hit them up for your control arm needs. *Shameless plug*

I'll keep you guys posted on the mystery...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1978 golf mk1
      08-31-2012 11:23 AM #27
      HiI am an engineer at an alloy wheel company, first of all re drilling is not a case that is acceptable, check for the bolts that connect 3 piece, check for fatigue cracks especilly around hub bolt area . use hubrings thats a must. what is the original PCD of the wheels?

4. 08-31-2012 04:40 PM #28
      Started off 5x114 then went to 5x120 (re-drill) then now 5x112 (second re-drill). The person who did the re-drill said he was doing this for 10+ years now. He's up in Cali and he posts here on the vortex, which is where I found the wheels.

I checked each wheel bolt and torqued them down to 22ft/lbs in a cross/star pattern. All bolts were fine and none were excessively loose.

The rear wheels are making no noise whatsoever and they are re-drilled to 5x112 and I am not using hubcentric rings. Just the fronts make noise. And when the fronts go to the back, they make noise in the back. But there is no noise when the car is in reverse, just in gear...

Vehicles
      2014 W212 sport
      09-02-2012 09:39 PM #29
      THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING IN THE WHEELS

there is no other logical explanation, to the guy saying redrilling isnt safe has no clue sorry but its been done for YEARS ive never heard of anything bad happening from a PROPERLY DONE redrill

6. 09-03-2012 12:21 AM #30
      I may try dismount the tire and check to see if the valve stem is causing a clicking noise...it's so weird that the noise goes away when the car is in reverse though...that boggles me...

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1978 golf mk1
      09-03-2012 02:06 AM #31
      Well ,i am an R&D engineer we are a very big OEM supplier for most of car manufacturers including volkswagen , audi. You can say that ypo have never seen something happening but İ have customer feedbacks and accident reports. we are making FEA analysis and several tests for inpact and fatigue what ever you say i know the effects or redrilling .

Vehicles
      2014 W212 sport
      09-03-2012 05:39 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dr770 View Post
      Well ,i am an R&D engineer we are a very big OEM supplier for most of car manufacturers including volkswagen , audi. You can say that ypo have never seen something happening but İ have customer feedbacks and accident reports. we are making FEA analysis and several tests for inpact and fatigue what ever you say i know the effects or redrilling .
      im not saying your wrong but almost all wheels are drilled for bolt patterns once they have been forged already you are not changing the properties of anything if done correctly or creating any sort of weakness if done correctly

also you should really run hubcentric rings

9. 09-10-2019 04:59 PM #33
      Even though this tread is probably dead I just got a set of those exact wheels, Weds kranze erm that are the same deal 3 piece construction, lips and barrels are welded and same specs and my fronts are doing the exact same thing. Looked for days and swapped them from front to back and side to side and still can’t figure out the clicking noises. Just curious if you ended up figuring it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12