VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

09A Need To Change Solenoids - Large Photo Of Valve Body

153K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  CameraJack 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to change all the solenoids on my sons 2003 1.8T Jetta that has the 5 speed Tiptonic trans. I have enclosed a photo of a valve body. In looking at the body it appears some of the solenoids blocks other solenoids from being removed.

Update: There is a sequence to the order of how you change out these solenoids. Photos and explanations of what solenoids need to be chageout first in this thread. :):):)

#69 ·
This seems to be the hip and happening thread for 09A issues so I was wondering if I could get some tips.

I have a 2002 PD130 with the 09A - 95k miles.

When cold it shifts pretty well, slightly hard on 2-3 but can be smooth if you're gentle on the throttle.

Problems arise when it warms up.

It will jerk when stopping (not disengaging to neutral properly) and then jerk again when releasing the brakes to go (not engaging drive properly)

It also starts to have problems with the 2-3 shift both up and down. On the way up the trans will "bind" almost for half a second before it makes it into third. Once it's in third it'll lock up the TC smooth as butter and go on to shift into fourth and fifth so smoothly you can barely feel it. First to second is only detectable through watching the tach as well. Going back down it'll "stick" in third before dropping hard into second.

I hope that solenoid replacement will help with these issues. I feel like a combination of N88 and N93 may be responsible, but I would do all nine as a matter of course. N88 is responsible for the 2-3 shift (only solenoid that activates or deactivates for that gear change), and N88 is active in first gear. I imagine it sticking could cause problems going from neutral to drive and vice versa.

That said, I don't want to drop £280 on solenoids if there's going to be someone that says "that won't solve the problem".

I found a thread somewhere with a guy who had exactly the same 2-3 issues I was having and replacing the N88 solved his problems. I was an idiot and didn't save it, and now I can't find it. Doh.

Musings on these issues would be appreciated.

Oh, and I have no dash lights or codes stored for the trans. I don't actually have any codes stored at all! (small mercies)

Cheers,

Jack

#70 · (Edited)
To continue from my previous post:

I have also read of people with similar issues whos problems were cured with a replacement TCM and that TCMs are a known issue.

Out of curiosity I just pulled out my TCM - mainly to take a look at the connector and make sure there were no damaged or corroded pins. The code on top is 09A 927 750 (AG).

I put AG in brackets because it was scribbled on in permanent marker over the original one/two final letters, making it impossible to read them.

I have a feeling that someone has been fiddling with this car before me.

How interchangeable are the TCMs? There are a few floating around on eBay for thirty odd quid. They have different suffixes however. I did find one with a BG suffix rather than AG which I feel might be good. That is assuming, of course, that someone put the correct TCM in to start with. Try a I might I cannot find information regarding which TCM suffix goes with which gearbox, or what the suffixes mean. The BG suffix one is refundable within 60 days so I might go for it as long as I can't damage anything by installing an "incorrect" TCM.

If they're plug and play as long as the first nine characters are correct then it'd be worth the punt for so little money to rule out a bad TCM.

Again, cheers for any advice.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.