Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2010 Golf 2.5L TPMS Rest button

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      10-08-2012 06:06 PM #1
      I just installed the TPMS Reset button on my 2010 MKVI Golf. I followed this DIY, but a few things were different. I had previously made the necessary VCDS changes found here.

First, I bought the "VW OEM SET button for golf w/ Cable: Connector Housing (1k0 927 121 B REH)" from Bold Sport. This gave me a connector to pull the wires out of the ESP switch, that then jumpered back to the ESP switch.

Let’s start with the wonderful (not) tiptronics gear selector.

Turn the key to the on position (don’t start the engine) to put the gear selector in S for Sport Mode.

Turn the key to the off position.

Get your fingernails under the front edge of the gear selector boot/cover and pull back & up.

After you lift the cover out of the way, you can see the two torx screws (T20) to remove.

After removing the Torx screws, lift up on the tray to remove the white connectors for the ESP button and the 12V port.

Here all the wires are connected. The linked DIY has instructions for making your own, and has a better picture of the ESP connector (the white sheath has been removed). The red sheathed connector will go to the TPMS Reset switch.

Put everything back together. The linked DIY had a reset button with the right corners rounded, so it would fit on the right side. Mine has all square corners so it is next to the ESP button.

This is where I had to figure out how to run the trigger wire to the ABS connector. I will assume the linked DIY is a RHD, as his ABS was under the battery. Mine is on the passenger side of a LHD Golf.

First, remove the cover from under the glove box with the two plastic thumb screws.

I forgot to get pics of this, but here is the end result. Use a steel coat hanger (straightened out) to poke a hole here, and it will come through under the glove box, near the right kick panel. Just tape your trigger wire to the hanger and pull it through the firewall grommet.

I also forgot to get a pic of the connector. I thought it was in the linked DIY, but I actually found it in the Jetta VI forum, where they were discussing the TPMS Retrofit. This picture is from Verebs1, and credit him with this shot. The trigger wire goes in the 4th hole from the left (3rd small hole). I removed the plug that was filling the empty hole with a sewing pin.

Engine compartment pics, showing the location of the ABS connector on a LHD Golf MKVI.

gap

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '10 Golf, '75 Beetle
      10-08-2012 07:14 PM #2
      Pardon the ignorance, but what's the point of a reset button?

I have a 2010 as well, and run (2) sets of TPMS sensors for summer & winter and the only time my light comes on is when the air is low. Just curious, I like more buttons!

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      10-08-2012 07:59 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 75 VW Beetle View Post
      Pardon the ignorance, but what's the point of a reset button?

I have a 2010 as well, and run (2) sets of TPMS sensors for summer & winter and the only time my light comes on is when the air is low. Just curious, I like more buttons!
      The reset button is for indirect TPMS.

Indirect TPMS uses the ABS and wheel speed to determine that a tire is not inflated properly. This allows you to install wheels without a TPMS transmitter, which saves about $20 per wheel. At some point, your TPMS battery will die, so this also prevents you from remounting all your wheels to replace the battery in tour TPMS transmitters.

Early in the DIY is a link to http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...7k6-50164.html, which shows how to use VCDS to enable Indirect TPMS.

gap

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '10 Golf, '75 Beetle
      10-09-2012 03:42 AM #4
      Ah very cool. I thought with the '10's we were forced to use the older system with tpms valve stems. Good to know down the road the indirect system can be utilized.