VWVortex.com - Aluminum shavings in oil pan??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Aluminum shavings in oil pan??

Vehicles
      MK6 GLI | MK4 2.LOW | 2011 CC R Line | MK4 GLI (sold)
      10-24-2012 06:17 PM #1
      So my 2.0 has had problems with getting oil to the top of the motor and I've had oil pressure issues. So I figured the oil pump was the right way to go. Well I get the pump and pull the pan and I notice a couple small shavings of metal in the pan..I tested em with a magnet and they didn't stick so I figure aluminum...any ideas where they might have come from? and could this be a hint to my problem rather than a bad oil pump?

someone answer as soon as you can please..

ohh and shavings are like quarter to half inch long relatively flat and about a 1/16 of an inch wide

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      00 gti 2L
      10-24-2012 11:44 PM #2
      Post some pics ! Not to scare you but i had a bad oil pump problem and when i pulled the pan i saw metal shavings . So i pulled the valve cover and more metal shavings , which meant the motor was garbage .

Does the car sound different ? Any knocking ?

Vehicles
      69 squareback, 87 golf, 95 golf, 95 jetta
      10-25-2012 01:06 AM #3
      well... the oil pump housing is made of aluminum. if the shavings are in your pan then they may have passed through the motor or slid down the pick-up tube. repalce the pump assy and see what happens. watch your oil pressure and hope for the best. personally... you are boned. that much metal in the pan means that some smaller bits went through the motor and you have damage. If the engine is running and not making a terrible racket you may be able to rebuild cheaply, on the other hand you may just be better off driving that motor into the ground with a clean spare sitting in your garage ready for the day this one goes.

it's a tough call. some people have gotten away with pulling rod caps and main caps and reattaching them just to see what, if any, damage is there.
      ██████
      old turbo setup
      My toy
      Keep the hammer down!!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-25-2012 05:30 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUBIN View Post
      well... the oil pump housing is made of aluminum. if the shavings are in your pan then they may have passed through the motor or slid down the pick-up tube. repalce the pump assy and see what happens. watch your oil pressure and hope for the best. personally... you are boned. that much metal in the pan means that some smaller bits went through the motor and you have damage. If the engine is running and not making a terrible racket you may be able to rebuild cheaply, on the other hand you may just be better off driving that motor into the ground with a clean spare sitting in your garage ready for the day this one goes.

it's a tough call. some people have gotten away with pulling rod caps and main caps and reattaching them just to see what, if any, damage is there.
      the head is aluminum..

if there is no oil to the head, then everything is just riding steel on aluminum..

i bet the metal flakes came from the head and cam bearings and such..

or from the pistons...

if you pull the rod caps, or main caps, then you must REPLACE the bolts, being that they are one time use TTY bolts...

Vehicles
      MK6 GLI | MK4 2.LOW | 2011 CC R Line | MK4 GLI (sold)
      10-25-2012 07:39 PM #5
      thanks everyone...

the motor doesnt really make any loud noises other than the slight tapping sound (i assume is from the no oil rubbing in the head) and I'm swapping the pump now I was just seeing if it was worth it. Its a project car so I'm not driving it any, in fact I've only driven it like maybe 20 miles total in the last year

Vehicles
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      10-28-2012 06:49 PM #6
      its the main bearings,

its so obvious
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

9. 03-01-2014 03:36 PM #7
      Dub, Rrite, what ended up being the source of the aluminum shavings here?? I have same problem now.
      thanks

10. 11-30-2019 09:33 PM #8
      I was wondering if anyone found the source of this problem? I have an 08 Passat with the 2.0 engine, with small aluminum shavings in the oil pan. I runs fine, sounds normal, but I was getting the low oil pressure light on it. Thought maybe the screen was plugged up so I removed the oil pan and found a bunch of aluminum shavings in the oil pan.I removed the pick up tube and it was fine. I'm wondering if the oil pump picks up the aluminum shavings when the engine is running & it restricts oil flow, but when I shut it down, the shavings drop back down into the oil pan? I definitely believe that is a possibility.

I cleaned the pickup tube, oil pan, and the baffle. I'm going to reinstall everything & fill it up with 20-50 oil & se what it does. Hopefully it'll be OK for awhile. Let me know if any of you have experienced this problem and what you had to do to correct it. Only 97k on an otherwise nice car. I hope I don't have to replace the engine!

11. 12-01-2019 04:59 PM #9
      could be bits of the pistons (ring land below the oil ring) they look very weak them later 2.0 pistons