VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your Sportwagen/Golf Wagon today?

1M views 7K replies 664 participants last post by  Wyze_Rabbit 
#1 · (Edited)
What did you do to your Golf Wagon/Sportwagen today?

Installed LED interior lights

See less See more
#161 ·
Had the TSB intercooler kit installed at the dealership, well actually it took 8 days but I got it back today :screwy:
Had a flashing glow plug light and a p0299 code, they found 3/4 cup of water in the intercooler:banghead:
Hopefully the new intercooler with its vacuum actuator and temp sensor prevent condensation build up from here on out.....

#164 ·
I got the coolant light this morning on the wife's JSW. So I checked out the situation. Sure enough seriously low coolant, like well below minimum fill line. Only 7000 miles. Took it to the dealership to have it topped off. Service Manager had his lead VW tech test the entire cooling system instead. Apparently there was a pinched seal (he stated possibly from them factory) which caused the slow leak. They replaced the seal, topped off the reservoir, gave us two VW water bottles, and sent us on our way.

#5,413 ·
I have been wondering for awhile, but how difficult was it to keep your calipers clean? If I remember correctly, you had them powdercoated so I think the smooth surface helped but I would think white would attract brake dust and dirt like no other.

#177 ·
they are amazing wheels. I considered lots of other cheaper options, some of which I actually thought looked a little nicer. I knew I was not going to get this quality from some Chinese made wheels so here we are. What suspension are you sitting on? I ordered the Bilstein PSS10's and I am having them installed Monday. I really like your ride height. BTW, mine is Tornado Red so we aren't dups. :)
Finally put the summers on...even thought the weather is still crap - Just love the stance...
I want to put mine on, I just feel like I should wait a couple more weeks so I know there won't be any more salt spread on the roads.

#184 ·
There was a bike race at the old airport today so seeing as I had snow tires still on my car there was a small oval that I "drifted" around using the ol' Scandinavian flick and E-brake. I don't want to think about how much rubber I left on the tarmac but it is rare to be able to drive recklessly and be safe while doing it.:D

Sad thing is I learned that while turning off traction control the car still will put a choke hold on the power occasionally when it detects spin.:confused:

#186 ·
I installed my Golf R spare/donut as the stock spare that the JSW comes with does NOT fit over the brakes, front or rear. So instead of a 16" full size spare, I have a skinny donut good for a max of 50mph but at least it fits over the brakes :D
Smart thinking. It wouldn't have even entered my brain till it was too late. :D

#187 ·
Knob swappin'

I picked up a pristine Golf R shift knob and swapped it in. I love the look and feel, but it seemed a bit higher than the mkv GTI knob and OE knob. Sooo, I did some swapping and measuring, and the R knob sits ~ 3/8"-1/2" higher than both of the others.

Has anybody trimmed the shifter "stalk" (or replaced it with a shorter version) to lower the knob height?

#189 ·
I picked up a pristine Golf R shift knob and swapped it in. I love the look and feel, but it seemed a bit higher than the mkv GTI knob and OE knob. Sooo, I did some swapping and measuring, and the R knob sits ~ 3/8"-1/2" higher than both of the others.

Has anybody trimmed the shifter "stalk" (or replaced it with a shorter version) to lower the knob height?

I cut 1.5" off and it is perfect now. Same shift knob. You may have to trim you shift boot so there is not as much material after you cut the extra height off.

#196 ·
Took it to the car wash.

Took it to the car wash today which is a big deal in New England. People will be surprised (and no doubt impressed) to see what color it really is. It's not really brown spatter with salt stains and black wheels with brown tires. My windows were so dirty that they looked like they were blacked out like a drug dealer. Maybe the cops won't keep giving me those funny looks. Next project is to hose out the rubber mats but I'll probably wait until the end of Mud Season sometime in late April for that. I can't lower it because I live on a dirt road and I drag bottom on it even in the summertime. Maybe I'll jack it up a la Bigfoot for my next mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.