Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vw to porsche boxter brake upgrade parts list & future DIY

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-25-2012 08:37 PM #1
      Hello all,
      Figured I would start posting more useful info on here.
      Ive been doing alot of research and i wanted to pass this info onto people who want to do this upgrade and arent sure where to start.
      There are multiple threads on here about BBK x vs. BBK y. But not alot of comprehensive info on where to get a nice cheap upgrade besides new pads, rotors, tyrolsport brake caliper stiffening kits.

For those that want a Big brake kit at a reasonable price we all know about the porsche boxter/cayenne/taureg brakes but not alot of info on who sells what parts & where to get them at a reasonable price. The following is for the porsche boxter non-s calipers only. THESE ARE NOT THE 17z calipers, that is a completely different caliper.
      The following parts are needed if you dont want to read the whole post:

REQUIRED:
      Porsche boxter non-s calipers:
      Prices listed below
      Left- 986 351 421 03
      Right- 986 351 422 03

Painted calipers:

Brackets:
      Performance diesel- no longer producing them, but are floating around on the net.

apikol.com- only company producing them at this time that i know of.
      http://apikol.com/products-page/brak...=menu-item-697

brake lines:
      Ive heard from multiple people that the stock lines will work with a new banjo bolt: M10 x 1.0 banjo. Not sure if this is true or not.

Apikol sells the front lines for $80 on their site, which comes with banjo bolts & crush washers.
      http://apikol.com/products-page/brak...s-brake-lines/

boxter non-s brake pads:
      Simple search for brake pads using whichever brand you like just remember to use 1999-2004 boxter base in your search criteria.

Brake fluid:
      Honestly I would use Super blue brake fluid for the first flush and then alternate with a yellow/clear fluid for the next change.

Bolts:

Use stock caliper carrier to strut bolts.

Use these for caliper to bracket:
      M12x1.5x62
      http://apikol.com/products-page/brak...bracket-short/

OPTIONAL:
      Caliper hardware kit: (if yours doesnt come with them)
      996 352 959 01

Caliper crossover tube aka brake caliper connecting line:
      These can strip out easily so its good to know where to go for them.
      Ecs has them for 35.50 a piece
      Left: 996 352 962 00
      right: 996 352 961 00

Caliper bleeder screw:

930 351 919 00

Rotors
      You can use the rotors you have on your car as long as they are 312x25mm
      aka stock gti front rotors. golf & tdi guys will have to buy them.

Now for the long detailed version
      First off are the calipers:
      1999-2004 Porsche boxter non-s calipers
      Part numbers:
      Left- 986 351 421 03
      Right- 986 351 422 03

The cheapest places to find them are ebay, auto wreckers, etc.
      These can be found from anywhere between $150-$250 per caliper

The next place I looked was at sonnerporscheoemparts:
      http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...&siteid=215405
      They go for $315 per side + shipping with no core charge. Quite nice honestly, but remember you will also have to buy the additional hardware listed above.

The next place I looked was ecstuning.com
      They go for $347.88 + shipping each

Germanautoparts.com has them for
      $433.34 + shipping each :iono: not sure why they are so expensive but if your on the east coast you will get them in 2 days or less.

Another option is to go through apikol directly, they sell both of them for:
      $730 for both + shipping.

Lastly the other places you could look is vwvortex, golfmk5 & here at golfmk6. People are occasionally selling them due to cars being sold, wrecked, different direction, etc. I was able to find them on vortex for $600 shipped brand new.

Next are the brackets needed to mount the caliper to your hub.
      As said above performance-diesel used to sell a kit but has since stopped making them. Apikol is now the only place I can find brackets unless you decide to have them custom made, depending on your connections/contacts.

Next are the brake lines. As stated above i have heard that you can use stock lines with a banjo fitting as long as you use a M10x1.0 bolt & crush washers. But I personally would just buy apikol's lines since they are only $80 and come with banjo bolts & crush washers already. You will loose the stock gromet though and you will have to use the supplied zip ties to secure them.

Next are the brake pads. Ecs tuning sells alot of choices from
      pagid
      textar
      ebc
      mintex
      There are many other choices, really its up to you.

Rotors will be the stock size 312x25mm from the gti. You can use the stock blanks or use cross drilled/slotted/cross drilled & slotted.

From what I have been reading you will need a minimum of 5mm spacers per side to clear the stock 18in wheels that come on the gti.

Brake fluid needs to be flushed during this change since you will be changing out your brake lines

ATE super blue is a good choice.

So overall this has been my cost doing this project:
      Porsche brakes: $600
      Brackets: $50
      Lines: $80
      Brake Fluid: ATE super blue : $15.13 x 3 = $45.39
      EBC Redstuff: $120.37
      Total: $895.76
      Thats $1000 less than all other kits out there. If your willing to put in the work on sourcing these parts its the best kit available for the money.
      Ill be putting these on as soon as the calipers arrive.
      So now that I am done with this long long post If I have missed anything feel free to let me know and ill make corrections. For those that have done this already, post up any issues you have come across for the new crowd.
      Last edited by hockeystar17mnj; 01-17-2013 at 12:28 AM.
      Garden State Euros Northern New Jersey Tri-State European Car Club
      Current: 2010 vw GTI
      mods: APR carbonio stage 1&2 intake, APR K04 flash, AWE turbo outlet pipe, B&B DP, Magnaflow catback, Diesel Geek shifter, APR 27mm Rear Sway bar, autotech dogbone insert,BSH recirc. catch can, Southbend Stage 3 clutch disk, K04!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1997 8v Jetta GT (RIP) 2011 CSG GTI
      12-26-2012 01:23 AM #2
      Nice

I have this same set up waiting to be installed on my car when I get back home in the spring
      APR Stage III ......and a whole bunch of other crap that I'm just to lazy to write out.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI MKVI DSG 1986 Cabriolet MKI
      12-26-2012 02:50 AM #3
      In for this as well. After a ko4 upgrade in spring, I'll need something done with the brakes and these look pretty promising. Question, do the rear calipers from the Boxter fit the gti as well, or is this only a front caliper swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      MKVI|APR K04|BSH|42dd|Koni

MKI OEM+

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      12-26-2012 08:40 AM #4
      op, thanks for this. the sourcing info is all i was missing

also, i checked apikol, and the brackets are 200 for both...

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger76 View Post
      In for this as well. After a ko4 upgrade in spring, I'll need something done with the brakes and these look pretty promising. Question, do the rear calipers from the Boxter fit the gti as well, or is this only a front caliper swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      you can probably work the rears on as well, but you'll need new rotors. the boxster rear brakes are much larger than ours. idk if you'll be able to find a rotor to fit.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      ~ Click here for lulz. ~
      IG: @fist_sluts

7. 12-26-2012 09:34 AM #5
      Great write up I'm interested too see how well they work on a K04 car. There is no question the stock brakes are completely inadequate and dangerous.
      2012 GTI APR K04

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-26-2012 10:37 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ina04gli1.8t View Post
      Great write up I'm interested too see how well they work on a K04 car. There is no question the stock brakes are completely inadequate and dangerous.
      Well i wouldnt say the stock brakes are unsafe unless you are tracking the car. The stock brakes are more than adequate for daily driving, This will help with fade & greater control over the stock setup, also it will be alot more reliable in the long run due to it being a fixed caliper. Replace dust boots & lines every 50k miles and your good. Swapping pads will be as simple as pulling your wheel.

Remember though this will not increase your braking power unless you add stickier tires. Both the stock brake setup & this will be able to lock the stock tires up.

Think of this as a high speed internet setup, you can have the fastest router out there but without the high speed service to go along with it you will still be stuck at 56k dialup.
      mods: APR carbonio stage 1&2 intake, APR K04 flash, AWE turbo outlet pipe, B&B DP, Magnaflow catback, Diesel Geek shifter, APR 27mm Rear Sway bar, autotech dogbone insert,BSH recirc. catch can, Southbend Stage 3 clutch disk, K04!!

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 11:16 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by hockeystar17mnj View Post
      Well i wouldnt say the stock brakes are unsafe unless you are tracking the car. The stock brakes are more than adequate for daily driving, This will help with fade & greater. Think of this as a high speed internet setup, you can have the fastest router out there but without the high speed service to go along with it you will still be stuck at 56k dialup.
      Well said

Man door hand hook car door
      ~ Click here for lulz. ~

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG
      12-26-2012 11:28 AM #8
      nice writeup! thanks!
      NEW >> 2016 Golf R Lapiz Blue DSG
      OLD >> 2010 GTI DSG

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-26-2012 11:47 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by warchieft2k View Post
      nice writeup! thanks!
      Id like to get this put into a sticky & eventual DIY,
      Is everyone in agreement that this would be good?

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DSG
      12-26-2012 11:48 AM #10
      The problem with the Boxster BBK is that you are not increasing the braking systems ability to dissipate heat. You still have OE sized rotors. You would need to get OE sized 2 piece rotors to help improve fade resistance.

However, this upgrade should give you improved brake feel and better modulation control.

I'm still using the stock brakes with upgraded fluid, the TyrolSport bushings and Hawk DTC-60 pads for track days (Stoptech 309 for DD). If I went K04 I would move up to an actual BBK with larger rotors.
      2011 VW GTI DSG
      GIAC Stage 2, Ultimate Racing DP, Neuspeed P-Flo, DG Springs, R20 tails, etc...

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 12:15 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Deaks2 View Post
      The problem with the Boxster BBK is that you are not increasing the braking systems ability to dissipate heat. You still have OE sized rotors. You would need to get OE sized 2 piece rotors to help improve fade resistance.

However, this upgrade should give you improved brake feel and better modulation control.

I'm still using the stock brakes with upgraded fluid, the TyrolSport bushings and Hawk DTC-60 pads for track days (Stoptech 309 for DD). If I went K04 I would move up to an actual BBK with larger rotors.
      i think realistically, the front rotors (the only ones anyone will really do with these) are already vented, and slotted/cross-drilled will help out with heat dissipation overall, even if only the slightest. the better modular control will definitely be alot better as is, and i feel that brake fade will be less obvious, especially on the track.
      ~ Click here for lulz. ~

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-26-2012 12:39 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rhodri45 View Post
      i think realistically, the front rotors (the only ones anyone will really do with these) are already vented, and slotted/cross-drilled will help out with heat dissipation overall, even if only the slightest. the better modular control will definitely be alot better as is, and i feel that brake fade will be less obvious, especially on the track.
      Custom brake ducts/ ttrs brake ducts can & will help with this issue too

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DSG
      12-26-2012 01:00 PM #13
      I agree that the front rotor is already pretty good, however, its size and mass limits it's ability to remove heat. This is particularly true at track days. I can say that installing the RS-3 brake ducts did a world of difference.

However, with K04 power I would at least go to 2 piece rotors, if not something larger.
      2011 VW GTI DSG

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 01:04 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Deaks2 View Post
      I agree that the front rotor is already pretty good, however, its size and mass limits it's ability to remove heat. This is particularly true at track days. I can say that installing the RS-3 brake ducts did a world of difference.

However, with K04 power I would at least go to 2 piece rotors, if not something larger.
      so ducts, and where can i find some 2-piece rotors? overall, with 2-piece rotors of the same size, w/ the boxster brakes, i still think it'd be about half the price of a brembo/stoptech bbk...
      ~ Click here for lulz. ~

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-26-2012 01:11 PM #15
      so ducts, and where can i find some 2-piece rotors? overall, with 2-piece rotors of the same size, w/ the boxster brakes, i still think it'd be about half the price of a brembo/stoptech bbk...
      I hate to even mention the company but racingbrake makes oem 2 piece rotors. I think they are in the $800 range

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DSG
      12-26-2012 01:38 PM #16
      Good discussion here: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176395
      2011 VW GTI DSG

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wolfsburg, 2012 GTI, 2016 GTI
      12-26-2012 01:55 PM #17
      subbed for when I decide to change my brakes out later.
      CURRENT: 2O16 GTI SE (BONE STOCK)

PREVIOUS:2012 GTI
      APR STAGE 2, APR CARBONIO STAGE 1&2,EUROJET TBE, APR KO4 SOUTHBEND CLUTCH NEW SOUTH VENT BOOST GAUGE, COLOR MATCHED SIDE MARKERS, EUROCUP HOLDER, SIGMA SIX SHORT SHIFT.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      12-26-2012 02:39 PM #18
      I have done this and am extremely pleased with the results... I will post pics here shortly...
      Words of advice, look around i found my calipers for 200 bucks with the odometer to see they had less than 20k miles on them...
      Switch the crossover tubes... The small piston goes up so do the bleeder screws
      Porsche banjo bolts are a different thread pitch m10x1.0 i believe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      god i love my car. it may not be fast, but it's crazy fun!

C2 stage 2 TURBO!!! ACHTUNG!!! 2.5liter 5cylinder contents under pressure!!!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-26-2012 02:42 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TylerO28 View Post
      I have done this and am extremely pleased with the results... I will post pics here shortly...
      Words of advice, look around i found my calipers for 200 bucks with the odometer to see they had less than 20k miles on them...
      Switch the crossover tubes... The small piston goes up so do the bleeder screws
      Porsche banjo bolts are a different thread pitch m10x1.0 i believe

So is it confirmed you can use the stock lines with a m10x1.0 banjo bolt & washers?

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      12-26-2012 02:44 PM #20
      op, thanks for this. the sourcing info is all i was missing

also, i checked apikol, and the brackets are 200 for both...

you can probably work the rears on as well, but you'll need new rotors. the boxster rear brakes are much larger than ours. idk if you'll be able to find a rotor to fit.
      The boxster also has rear drum inside for the e brake... They dont have an e brake like we do, so the answer is NO you cannot use the boxster rear brakes... But if you can figure out a way to run larger maybe .:R32 rear brake rotors, figure out the caliper carrier and be willing to have a non functioning emergency brake i.e. illegal. Then it could likely be done somehow

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      12-27-2012 03:12 AM #21

Sent from the bottomless pits of HELL!

24. 12-28-2012 11:41 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by hockeystar17mnj View Post
      Well i wouldnt say the stock brakes are unsafe unless you are tracking the car. The stock brakes are more than adequate for daily driving, This will help with fade & greater control over the stock setup, also it will be alot more reliable in the long run due to it being a fixed caliper. Replace dust boots & lines every 50k miles and your good. Swapping pads will be as simple as pulling your wheel.

Remember though this will not increase your braking power unless you add stickier tires. Both the stock brake setup & this will be able to lock the stock tires up.

Think of this as a high speed internet setup, you can have the fastest router out there but without the high speed service to go along with it you will still be stuck at 56k dialup.
      Have you driven K04 car with stock brakes ? You don't think that adding a hundred plus HP & using the stock brakes is dangerous ?
      I guess it depends on how you drive. I don't need to track the car to find out they don't stop well, even on sticky tires I'm unable to come close to locking them up.
      2012 GTI APR K04

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      12-29-2012 03:54 PM #23
      I can say that the boxster brake setup completely outperforms the OEM setup. I can say that with confidence due to my experience with with both setups...the brembo caliper easily exceeds the limitations of the OEM single piston caliper. My car lost several feet upon an aggressive 65-0 test. I performed both tests several times on a long straightaway (closed course )
      With textar pads on both setups. The Porsche brakes were notably shorter distances... Then i upgraded the pads to ebc red stuff and those did even better aggressive stops. Now i can't say i was 100 percent accurate every time, but it was close. And for my particular car, they seriously helped

Sent from the bottomless pits of HELL!

Vehicles
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      12-29-2012 04:21 PM #24
      Great write up.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-29-2012 05:09 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ina04gli1.8t View Post
      Have you driven K04 car with stock brakes ? You don't think that adding a hundred plus HP & using the stock brakes is dangerous ?
      I guess it depends on how you drive. I don't need to track the car to find out they don't stop well, even on sticky tires I'm unable to come close to locking them up.
      lol read my sig much? I have a ko4
      I have the stock gti brakes on now. they are adequate when driving normally. are they adequate for the track? probably not. but my statement was to show you don't HAVE to upgrade the brakes unless you are driving at high speeds or are constantly on and off the brakes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast