VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TFSI oil leak

41K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  antigravity5 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

09 TFSI almost 130Kmiles. I have some oil leak for the last few weeks. First I noticed few drops on the ground while parked. Topped the engine oil. Two weeks later low oil light came on so I added again 1/2ltr. 300 miles later same again - I added another 1/2 ltr. Finally today I had a chance to check underneath the car and found oil everywhere on the back side of the engine. It looks like mostly below DV and turbo. Cleaned it with engine degreaser. Ran the car for 15min while I am under and not a drop of oil came out. Then I looked at the exhaust and the pipes are all oilly inside. What do you think? - bad PCV, bad DV, or bad turbo? Did anybody ever came across something similar?

Thanks in advance,
Evo

#5 ·
I went to local Audi dealer to order PCV. Monday I had CEL and P0171. The parts guy told me that they have two revisions and the service guys need to determine wich software I am running so he can sell me the correct one. They said he is wrong and there is only one revision but went to the trouble of checking my car anyway. PCV is shot and timing chain seal is leaking as you suggested. They didn't charge me anything for this and I ordered the parts. I have interesting project for this weekend :)

#9 ·
Interesting, because what you initially described is exactly what I found, oil around/near the DV and Turbo drain. But I checked the drain (did not replace the gasket), but am thinking that the oil may be coming from higher up (Top cover). Also, if the PCV is not working that will definitely cause oil to seep from places where it shouldn't due to CC pressure build up.

That's why I am thinking more my whole issue may be PCV related.

I will check it out when I can and report back.

Thanks for updating us.

Shawn

#15 · (Edited)
+1 I just did the same but I got them to do the work under power train warranty with less than 2K short of the 100K km (62K miles) warranty. VW balks at doing rubber seals under warranty, they do their best to avoid warranting rubber seals where they can, i.e. valve cover gaskets but the RMS is on a metal flange assembly, so technically you can make your point with the Service Manager or VW Regional Manager.

This type of leak gets worst over time it won't go away, so eventually when it gets to the point when the P0171 show up it is a major air leak. More importantly in my case the P12A12 code showed up first and I spent +$200 getting the dealer to troubleshoot and replacing the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail that did not fix the problem. On my own to save $, I replaced the air oil separator on the valve cover ($180) and the gas cap seal ($12) which did not fix the problem, so you can save your self time and hassle and just get the RMS done when it starts to leak, then you may not have to throw parts to troubleshoot the codes that come up that don't actually correlate with the actual problem… the RMS leak.

To their credit, I had Domenic at Maple VW in the GTA area to take care of me and not rip me a new one…. great service over all, I couldn't have fixed this problem without their help.

Sorry for the long write up but I hope this helps someone… . When you guys write short statements it leave so many unanswered questions for less technical people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.