Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks

1. Member
      Vehicles
      MK VI Jetta GLI, MKV GTI
      04-07-2015 06:50 PM #51
      I shut off my Hill Control and it made a huge difference. No more hesitation at take-off.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      04-08-2015 10:27 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by BGTI1 View Post
      I shut off my Hill Control and it made a huge difference. No more hesitation at take-off.
      How do you shut off the Hill Control?

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy) sold, '13 GLi Autobahn DSG (daily)
      04-08-2015 10:29 AM #53
      You have to hook it up to a Vagcom software (if you don't have it, then there is probably someone on the forum that lives 'nearby').

You can do a TON of different tweaks to the car with a laptop and cable. It's pretty awesome.

Kei
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      04-08-2015 11:13 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      You have to hook it up to a Vagcom software (if you don't have it, then there is probably someone on the forum that lives 'nearby').

You can do a TON of different tweaks to the car with a laptop and cable. It's pretty awesome.

Kei
      Hoping it was a setting I didn't see or a fuse I could pull. I have wanted to get a VAGCOM cable for a while, but don't have a laptop, so it would be a larger purchase. I have thought about it several times and might finally get one sometime this year once I get a few smaller things out of the way.

Vehicles
      04-08-2015 11:16 AM #55
      It's hugely worth it, especially on the Mk6 cars. I've had at least one since the Mk3, but it's almost a requirement on the 6 lol.

I'm sure someone is nearby that can help you out. If you were near Delaware then I'd take care of it for you.

Kei
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      04-08-2015 11:45 AM #56
      ^Come on, it's only like a 550 mile drive.......I'll buy you a regional craft beer and a ham and cheese sandwich.

Vehicles
      04-08-2015 12:29 PM #57
      Haha I'm a big driving fan, but I don't drink beer....ham and cheese sounds good, pulled pork and steak fries with a birch beer, you might could have a deal lol

Kei

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI
      04-09-2015 10:51 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VSerenity View Post
      That is the opposite of what the rest of the thread says and what I have experienced. For me, pressing the accelerator then requesting a downshift appears to have the smoothest shifts so far.
      fair enough. it's hard to imagine what I'm doing in the car when I'm not physically sitting there doing it (which I'm not). I do believe I do both. I almost like the little blip I get when no gas is applied during a downshift. probably not great for the gearbox but it's a hard habit to break after coming from a manual.
      girls dig when i play with the V

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI
      04-09-2015 04:42 PM #59
      so I just checked. mine is definitely smoother no throttle

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE Performance 3-Door in Pure White
      04-10-2015 12:35 AM #60
      Thanks for the post
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      04-10-2015 03:25 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae View Post
      so I just checked. mine is definitely smoother no throttle
      Hmmm....I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Are you letting off the gas completely or just not giving it more gas?

I have to say, I drove to work in manual mode and used the gear shift lever, bumping up and down the gears that way for almost all the shifts on the drive. I found things felt a little better, more natural for me, and for some reason much smoother in regards to downshifts/transitions.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta 2.5 SEL
      04-10-2015 04:22 PM #62
      What other type of mods can you do with vagcom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 04-10-2015 09:48 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by armymedic68w View Post
      What other type of mods can you do with vagcom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Like to know this also

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI
      04-11-2015 07:15 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VSerenity View Post
      Hmmm....I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Are you letting off the gas completely or just not giving it more gas?

I have to say, I drove to work in manual mode and used the gear shift lever, bumping up and down the gears that way for almost all the shifts on the drive. I found things felt a little better, more natural for me, and for some reason much smoother in regards to downshifts/transitions.
      not driving hard. engine is warmed up. seems like when I upshift during acceleration gas is definitely the way to go. but even when I'm say accelerating and click down a gear it jerks slightly. more than it does if I am on the brakes and I click it down.

I dunno, I'm not expert. it's just my personal car, maybe I've got a unique problem but I'm ok with it.

17. 07-15-2015 01:52 AM #65
      I do a lot of city driving and I notice, often, when I drive with the car in drive, it shifts too quickly and bogs down. I've considered driving in sport mode to avoid this, but don't want to beat the car up, if it will do so driving that way often. Any info anyone can offer up?

18. 07-17-2015 12:59 AM #66
      Bump, hoping some fresh eyes can help

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      07-17-2015 01:48 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Cbrannon36 View Post
      I do a lot of city driving and I notice, often, when I drive with the car in drive, it shifts too quickly and bogs down. I've considered driving in sport mode to avoid this, but don't want to beat the car up, if it will do so driving that way often. Any info anyone can offer up?
      You could just put in Manual mode and shift whenever you want either with the stick or paddles! Otherwise you would need to get a DSG tune which is the only way to resolve these terrible shifting ranges!
      | Nardo Grey 2013.5 MK6 Gen 3 GLI (DSG) | Magnaflow Catback (15158) - Vibrant 1792 | CTS Turbo Catless Downpipe (CTS-EXH-DP-0013) | Unitronic CAI (UH006-INA) | Unitronic Stage 2 | Unitronic Stage 2 DSG | Polar F.I.S PF03 | GFB DV+ | VWR Springs | BFI Shift Knob |

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE Performance 3-Door in Pure White
      07-17-2015 02:24 PM #68
      D is frustrating, requiring me to hit the brakes more than needed since there is little engine braking. It's not as bad as the Mk6. S mode is more aggressive in this than the Mk6 too. That software up shifts with a small life of the throttle. The Mk7 S mode will not upshift until 4K, Min. I've just stuck to the paddles the majority of the time.
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2015 Night Blue GTI DSG
      08-11-2015 04:08 PM #69
      OP, great writeup, tons of good info to keep in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrannon36 View Post
      use the paddles, if you want to be in a lower gear just pull on the left paddle and it will kick down and go into manual mode for a few seconds (manual says 8 seconds, sometimes its longer than that) and then will return to D (or S). I've found this very helpful when I'm stuck in traffic and want to pass someone without wanting to wait for the DSG to downshift.

Also, you can drive around in S mode and then use the upshift paddle to keep the rpms in a reasonable range (not 5k in 2nd gear driving down a residential street).

I wouldn't worry about beating the car up, S mode was programmed from VW, so if they didn't want you driving like that then they shouldn't have made it so (stupidly) aggressive.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R, 1985 Porsche 911 (street), 1979 Porsche 911 (race)
      03-07-2016 10:16 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by VWMK6GLI View Post
      You could just put in Manual mode and shift whenever you want either with the stick or paddles! Otherwise you would need to get a DSG tune which is the only way to resolve these terrible shifting ranges!
      The DSG tunes are great. The latest ones are even offering more clamping force supposedly to prevent clutch slip. I love it. I don't touch the paddles. The car is better at knowing what I want when I need it than I am....
      2016 Rabbit R w DSG/DCC (Lapiz Blue)

Vehicles
      03-07-2016 07:10 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
      The DSG tunes are great. The latest ones are even offering more clamping force supposedly to prevent clutch slip. I love it. I don't touch the paddles. The car is better at knowing what I want when I need it than I am....
      The tunes are really really good, I haven't checked for any update in the last 6-9 months or so since the last update, but it's so good.

Kei

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      03-07-2016 08:45 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
      They are definitely! I was on Unitronic Stage 1 DSG since I was Stage 1 (Both Beta's) for about 10-15000km (Roughly 9200 miles) and was absolutely in love with it, it completely changed the car! All the jerkiness and little bugs from stock were completely gone! About 2 weeks ago I decided to go and get Stage 2 for both ECU and DSG and it's even better now! The way the power is delivered is soooooo smooth and the shifts are very fast and crisp, and of course the DSG farts are insanely loud and awesome!!!
      | Nardo Grey 2013.5 MK6 Gen 3 GLI (DSG) | Magnaflow Catback (15158) - Vibrant 1792 | CTS Turbo Catless Downpipe (CTS-EXH-DP-0013) | Unitronic CAI (UH006-INA) | Unitronic Stage 2 | Unitronic Stage 2 DSG | Polar F.I.S PF03 | GFB DV+ | VWR Springs | BFI Shift Knob |

Vehicles
      03-07-2016 08:50 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by VWMK6GLI View Post
      They are definitely! I was on Unitronic Stage 1 DSG since I was Stage 1 (Both Beta's) for about 10-15000km (Roughly 9200 miles) and was absolutely in love with it, it completely changed the car! All the jerkiness and little bugs from stock were completely gone! About 2 weeks ago I decided to go and get Stage 2 for both ECU and DSG and it's even better now! The way the power is delivered is soooooo smooth and the shifts are very fast and crisp, and of course the DSG farts are insanely loud and awesome!!!
      I miss my DSG farts 🙁 I don't have them anymore with my APR DSG tune....I need mah farts even if they are only a sound, everyone needs a good fart sometimes lol

Kei

Vehicles
      2013.5 Gen3 GLI Autobahn/Nav
      03-07-2016 09:17 PM #74
      Drove a gti DSG and my GLI DSG but never hear the farts of the GLI yay for having a trunk haha

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
      "Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

- Jeremy Clarkson -

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      03-07-2016 09:23 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by MK6_TDI View Post
      Drove a gti DSG and my GLI DSG but never hear the farts of the GLI yay for having a trunk haha

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I miss my DSG farts 🙁 I don't have them anymore with my APR DSG tune....I need mah farts even if they are only a sound, everyone needs a good fart sometimes lol

Kei
      This is a video from when I was just Stage 1. Will need to take a new one

https://youtu.be/hKRxKIMJGHE

Last edited by VWMK6GLI; 03-07-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast