VWVortex.com - How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy) sold, '13 GLi Autobahn DSG (daily)
      03-07-2016 11:18 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by MK6_TDI View Post
      Drove a gti DSG and my GLI DSG but never hear the farts of the GLI yay for having a trunk haha

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
      My GLi used to fart before the DSG tune when I only had the ecu tune. It was wonderful, then I got the DSG tune and it stopped.

Kei
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-21-2016 12:17 AM #77
      I've been experiencing a frustrating phenomenon with my DSG for the last several months and, unfortunately, the dealer cannot replicate the problem.

Sometimes, when I let off the brake after shifting Park-to-Reverse or Park-to-Drive, or when let off the brake after a red light, the car will behave like a novice manual transmission driver; you remember those days of not timing the clutch pedal release with the gas pedal and the RPMs drop and the car chugs for a second? My GLI with the DSG is acting just like that. It has done it in manual mode and in "auto" mode. The car bucks a little and then continues on. It happens on a cold engine and has started happening with a warm engine, too.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? Could my clutch be slipping? Failing? I'd like to think that a clutch being controlled by a computer would know when to properly engage and wouldn't behave like a novice driver.

Car is a 2014 Jetta GLI with the DSG; approx. 34,000 miles

Vehicles
      03-21-2016 10:11 AM #78
      Mine hasn't done that before unless I have done something weird with the inputs. Have you had your fluid changed yet? You're almost to 40k which is the service life anyway, so that may help. When you're leaving a stoplight, are you gradually releasing the brake or just dropping it and pressing the throttle?

You can smooth the transition from rest to moving at a light by easing up off the brake just to the point where you feel the clutch engage (you can literally feel and hear the point where it does by listening to the engine), if you let off any more the car will move, otherwise it'll sit on that point. I of course don't recommend doing that the entire time you're at a light, but if you anticipate the light change, it's a good practice. Not saying that's your issue, but something to think about if you haven't been doing that yet.

How are your mounts, have you don't any hard launches or anything that could've damaged them (especially the dogbone), might be worth having a look at that one specifically to see if there are any cracks or fractures.

I'm at 81k on my '13 GLi and she's not doing that cold or hot. Like I said the only time I ever had that was if I do something weird it wasn't expecting. Also, do you have Hill assist active still, it could just be that kicking in if it's not a clunk and more a dragging of the clutch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-21-2016 02:05 PM #79
      Haven't had the dsg service. While I do drive spiritedly, I'm not hard on the car - especially from a stop.

I've heard that this is normal procedure for the DSG. If so, what is happening in the internals to cause this? I've also heard that a tune will remove the this behavior.

If it keeps it up, I might move on to a different dealer here in Dallas. Or just get the ECU and TCU tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      03-22-2016 11:58 AM #80
      I can't say for sure honestly what it might be, my TCU is APR tuned and has been for the past 33k miles. Has it always done this, or just an all of a sudden thing?

Last edited by Kiyokix; 03-22-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-23-2016 12:35 AM #81
      Honestly, I think it's been a recent thing. I took it to the dealer for a similar issue about a year ago. I don't remember it happening when the car was new.

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-23-2016 02:46 PM #82
      Happened twice this morning within 5 minutes of starting the car. I watched the tach and both times, the RPMs drop to 500 or so, then spike to 1200.

All of this happens within 10 seconds as I take my foot off of the brake and before I can touch the gas pedal.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      03-23-2016 02:50 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by aggie jettaman View Post
      Happened twice this morning within 5 minutes of starting the car. I watched the tach and both times, the RPMs drop to 500 or so, then spike to 1200.

All of this happens within 10 seconds as I take my foot off of the brake and before I can touch the gas pedal.

Their is definitely something wrong with your car! I've never experienced anything like this before in the 2 years of owning the car which is now Stage 2 DSG. I would suggest that you go to your dealer so they can diagnose.
      | Nardo Grey 2013.5 MK6 Gen 3 GLI (DSG) | Magnaflow Catback (15158) - Vibrant 1792 | CTS Turbo Catless Downpipe (CTS-EXH-DP-0013) | Unitronic CAI (UH006-INA) | Unitronic Stage 2 | Unitronic Stage 2 DSG | Polar F.I.S PF03 | GFB DV+ | VWR Springs | BFI Shift Knob |

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 VW GLI Autobahn
      03-23-2016 02:52 PM #84

Can you safely record and post a video of this event happening?

Vehicles
      03-23-2016 03:10 PM #85
      I agree, I would love to see a video of this if it's reasonably possible. I've definitely never had anything like what you're describing in my 41k miles of ownership (bought it with 40k already on it, so I'm at 81 about to hit 82k tomorrow).

Kei

Vehicles
      '14 GLI ED30 DSG
      03-23-2016 03:44 PM #86
      I'm going to go against what everyone else is posting and say that this is completely normal.

It's been happening to my GLI since it was new, and I think I know why it happens - and it is completely related to how the DSG operates on a mechanical and electronic level.

The DSG does the best job that it can to predict your actions. This allows for ultra fast and smooth shifting. Sadly, when it guesses wrong, it acts like a 15 year old sitting at the wheel of a manual car for the first time.

When you go from Park to Drive or Reverse to Drive, the DSG tentatively selects first gear, but remains in neutral as long as your foot is on the brake pedal. If it didn't remain in neutral, your vehicle would stall.

When you lift your foot from the brake, the DSG is relying on a certain amount of time to be given to engage first gear and apply light throttle while disengaging the clutch. With the foot off the brake pedal and hovering over the gas pedal, the DSG will engage first gear and let it "idle" at a low RPM. At this point, your car is ready to have throttle applied to take off with smooth acceleration.

Now, in your case, this is what is happening: By lifting your foot off of the brake too quickly after shifting into drive, you're completely confusing the computer. As soon as "D" is selected, the computer is going through its shifting routine (Neutral - Neutral/1st - 1st). If you interrupt that short sequence of events by going from brake to throttle too quickly, it's going to stumble.

If I go to drive, hold the brake for 1 second, let off the brake briefly, and apply gas, this never, ever happens. If I make the shift from park to go quickly, I can replicate the stalling like RPMs every single time.

Another way that you can trick the computer and cause it to partially fail this process is to start with the wheel turned to lock - not really a recommended method of driving, but in this case the computer can't anticipate the added force needed to get the vehicle moving, and it can at times stumble when it fails to guess the correct amount of throttle needed. Combine a turned wheel on an incline and it's even more likely to happen.

Now - could this be a problem with the DSG? Perhaps. Is it a sign of future catastrophic failure? I don't think so. It may not be functioning like VW intended it to function, but it's really just an issue of the computer guessing wrong.

With that said - if your DSG is blipping RPMs when your foot is still on the brake, has bone rattling hard shifts, or begins to sound like marbles bouncing in a coffee can...well...then you might have a problem.

EDIT: I kind of missed the part where you said it happens within 10 seconds - so that sounds a bit odd. Are you saying that you shift into drive, remove your foot from the brake, and without applying brake or throttle, it will stumble within 10 seconds? When drive is engaged and brake is not pressed, the car should move forward on its own - if it's not and it's nearly stalling, you have a sensor of some sort failing (mechtronic unit comes to mind).
      Last edited by Bravos; 03-24-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Vehicles
      03-23-2016 03:51 PM #87
      I already mentioned the speed of going from one 'gear' to another. This didn't seem to be the case as he also mention that it does it from a stoplight/sign which means that unless he goes to park every time he's at a sign, then it's doing it when his foot is already on the brake and in drive.

Unless he's dropping the brake extremely abruptly every time he moves, then something may be off. I know a lot of ways to trick the DSG now, but I don't end up with the weirdness he does on the regular. It's pretty easy to trick it into predicting something other than you want, not that you should be doing that lol.

Vehicles
      '14 GLI ED30 DSG
      03-23-2016 04:08 PM #88
      Yeah, I think you may be right - I caught on to that after I wrote the post. If it's happening while in drive, leaving stop lights, etc, something may be up.

Vehicles
      03-23-2016 04:18 PM #89
      Haha I figured you missed that part 👍

Vehicles
      18 Accord Sport 2.0T, 02 TT ALMS, 2017 Acura MDX (wife)
      03-23-2016 04:33 PM #90
      I have the same thing happening to my car. I honestly could care less since it is a lease and just deal with it the few times it happens. I have realized it is when I am too quick going from reverse to drive and leaving my foot on the brake long enough. Still should not happen and be so violent imho.
      Current: Me: 18 Accord Spot 2.0T & 02 Audi TT ALMS Wife: 2017 Acura MDX
      Past VAG vehicles: 15 GLI, 13 and 10 CC Sport, 2001 Jetta GLX, 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, 2007 Jetta GLI, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen

Vehicles
      2014 RS GLI Ed30 w/ Nav, DSG
      03-23-2016 04:50 PM #91
      Bravos - I completely agree with your assessment. I think I have read similar descriptions of how and why this occurs before (possibly posted by you, or someone else on here). Knowing how the DSG operates, this is the most logical explanation.

Aggie Jettaman - I experience similar blimps in the DSG engaging and disengaging. Mine seem to be more consistent when the car is cold (sat overnight or for the day at work). I will also have it occur at stop lights and stop signs where I am not taking the car out of D (or tiptronic mode).

I have done the DSG Adaptation reset (turn ignition on, hold the gas pedal down for 10 seconds, then start car) a few times and it seems to help for a little bit, but after a few weeks it goes back to its old ways. Is it possibly placebo? - Maybe. Is it possibly my driving style that is teaching it something wrong and it re-learns it? - Maybe.

I still have two concerns:
      1. Is this blip or stumble causing additional wear on the clutch packs or mechatronic unit?
      2. If I need to focus on having a smooth foot off brake to gas pedal launch when I am driving, then why did I get a DSG and not a traditional MT? It requires the same amount of effort. Not needing to worry about stalling in traffic or causing additional wear on my transmission (via stop & go traffic and long trips on I-95 with large portions of traffic) are the reasons I got the DSG. Granted, I still benefit from being able to just through it in D and not have to worry about it when I am on trips and dealing with things like navigating or talking on the phone (via Bluetooth of course )
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
      We should stand on the rooftops and shower the simpletons below with our ejaculatories of ingenious supremacy!

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-23-2016 08:07 PM #92
      EDIT: I kind of missed the part where you said it happens within 10 seconds - so that sounds a bit odd. Are you saying that you shift into drive, remove your foot from the brake, and without applying brake or throttle, it will stumble within 10 seconds? When drive is engaged and brake is not pressed, the car should move forward on its own - if it's not and it's nearly stalling, you have a sensor of some sort failing (mechtronic unit comes to mind).
      Yes, without applying any brake or throttle the car stumbles before I even have a chance to touch the accelerator; it stumbles and RPMs fluctuate with my foot in mid-air. I'll do my best to get a video of the behavior tomorrow morning. It even misbehaved after a red-light while I was in manual mode.

I talked to my dealership service department this afternoon and they have agreed to give me a loaner while I leave the car overnight for them to replicate my exact morning start-up routine.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. It's been a busy afternoon at the office so I haven't had a chance to respond to all replies, but I will read back through them when I get home this evening.

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-25-2016 11:28 AM #93
      So far, no luck in getting it on video. This morning, it didn't happen as I was pulling out of my parking spot. But, it did happen 2 minutes later when leaving a stop sign.

Does anyone have any suggestions for safely recording my tachometer while driving? Could I mount a GoPro to the steering column?

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn
      03-25-2016 11:36 AM #94
      So far, no luck in getting it on video. This morning, it didn't happen as I was pulling out of my parking spot. But, it did happen 2 minutes later when leaving a stop sign.

Does anyone have any suggestions for safely recording my tachometer while driving? Could I mount a GoPro to the steering column?

I have! Just use one of these and slide a plastic mount in.

| Nardo Grey 2013.5 MK6 Gen 3 GLI (DSG) | Magnaflow Catback (15158) - Vibrant 1792 | CTS Turbo Catless Downpipe (CTS-EXH-DP-0013) | Unitronic CAI (UH006-INA) | Unitronic Stage 2 | Unitronic Stage 2 DSG | Polar F.I.S PF03 | GFB DV+ | VWR Springs | BFI Shift Knob |

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-28-2016 10:35 AM #95
      Finally! Got it on video this morning. RPMs didn't really drop before spiking, but they did jump and the car stumbled over itself. All before I had a chance to touch the accelerator.

Order of operations:
      1. Start my car
      2. Let car warm; wait for normal idle RPMs
      3. Apply brake
      4. Release parking brake
      5. Select drive
      6. Release brake
      7. Car begins to move
      8. DSG starts to misbehave

https://youtu.be/ujfvyDz1vDg

Last edited by aggie jettaman; 03-28-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Vehicles
      '14 GLI ED30 DSG
      03-28-2016 11:35 AM #96
      That rev blip happened sooner than I was expecting - it could be the mechtronic unit, but it might also be normal DSG behavior.

If you could replicate it while staying in drive by simply pushing and releasing the brake, then I'd say it's not normal, but that blip is very similar to how my car behaves if I shift to drive and remove my foot from the pedal too quickly.

One thing that comes to mind - if it only happens after pushing the brake, is there a potential that the brake may be sticking to the rotor? If the DSG is anticipating X-amount of force needed to move the vehicle forward, and one or more brakes are still engaged even though your foot is off the pedal, it may have to blip the engine to prevent stalling.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 VW GLI Autobahn
      03-28-2016 12:58 PM #97
      Finally! Got it on video this morning. RPMs didn't really drop before spiking, but they did jump and the car stumbled over itself. All before I had a chance to touch the accelerator.

Order of operations:
      1. Start my car
      2. Let car warm; wait for normal idle RPMs
      3. Apply brake
      4. Release parking brake
      5. Select drive
      6. Release brake
      7. Car begins to move
      8. DSG starts to misbehave

https://youtu.be/ujfvyDz1vDg

Im thinking its normal OR I have the exact same problem. My car definitely does this and because of this thread I have been paying more attention to it. Next time you try and replicate it, put your foot on the brake, switch it to drive and give it a couple seconds and release the brake and see what happens. Mine USUALLY doest do it if I do that. Still does sometimes, but not usually.

Vehicles
      '14 GLI ED30 DSG
      03-28-2016 02:46 PM #98
      ^^This. It's kind of what I said in my first post way above on this page. Doing a Park->Drive shift and immediately removing your foot from the brake will cause this blip within a few seconds, just like we see in the video. If this blip is still happening while in drive, or it happens 10+ seconds after taking your foot off the brake, then you have a problem.

The blip right after disengaging the brake is due to the DSG trying to sense the current conditions of the vehicle to allow the car to shift into 1st and roll forward without stalling.

Vehicles
      2017 VW GTI
      03-28-2016 03:00 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Bravos View Post
      ^^This. It's kind of what I said in my first post way above on this page. Doing a Park->Drive shift and immediately removing your foot from the brake will cause this blip within a few seconds, just like we see in the video. If this blip is still happening while in drive, or it happens 10+ seconds after taking your foot off the brake, then you have a problem.

The blip right after disengaging the brake is due to the DSG trying to sense the current conditions of the vehicle to allow the car to shift into 1st and roll forward without stalling.
      It has also happened while in drive or in manual mode when leaving a stop sign or stop light.

Vehicles
      '14 GLI ED30 DSG
      03-29-2016 08:37 AM #100
      Which again, makes me suspect a potential issue with the brakes - if they're sticking and DSG is anticipating quicker brake disengagement, then it may fumble like you're seeing.

If it's not the brake, then it's probably the mechtronic unit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast