Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE Performance 3-Door in Pure White
      03-29-2016 11:15 AM #101
      My car is making a scraping noise, yet operating normally, shifting into 4th gear. It is <5% of shifts however it seems most apparent if I've hit a bump recently, have been driving in M mode with aggressive shifting or simply driving it in D with light throttle.
      Could this be a non-DSG issue?
      Sounds like what can best be described as a piece of scraping metal combined with a spraying/hiss noise. Almost like one clutch is engaging yet the clutch pre-selecting the next gear is grinding.
      The timing is after the DSG "fart" and the gear engaging.
      There have been 10+ times in the past 4 months, usually when coming to an abrupt stop in M mode, I've heard a noise like gears being mismatched or metal wires twisting, and the dash indicates gear "1" yet it won't pull forward unless I go into N and back into D/M.
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2014 RS GLI Ed30 w/ Nav, DSG
      03-29-2016 11:32 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Bravos View Post
      Which again, makes me suspect a potential issue with the brakes - if they're sticking and DSG is anticipating quicker brake disengagement, then it may fumble like you're seeing.

If it's not the brake, then it's probably the mechtronic unit.
      I've considered that it might be the hill assist, which would explain the "brakes sticking" does anyone with these symptoms have the hill assist turned off via VCDS?
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles View Post
      We should stand on the rooftops and shower the simpletons below with our ejaculatories of ingenious supremacy!

Vehicles
      '14 GLI ED30 DSG
      03-29-2016 11:58 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1966 View Post
      My car is making a scraping noise, yet operating normally, shifting into 4th gear. It is <5% of shifts however it seems most apparent if I've hit a bump recently, have been driving in M mode with aggressive shifting or simply driving it in D with light throttle.
      Could this be a non-DSG issue?
      Sounds like what can best be described as a piece of scraping metal combined with a spraying/hiss noise. Almost like one clutch is engaging yet the clutch pre-selecting the next gear is grinding.
      The timing is after the DSG "fart" and the gear engaging.
      There have been 10+ times in the past 4 months, usually when coming to an abrupt stop in M mode, I've heard a noise like gears being mismatched or metal wires twisting, and the dash indicates gear "1" yet it won't pull forward unless I go into N and back into D/M.
      Uhhhh...I have no idea. If your DSG is making rattling noises at idle, then it's almost certainly the dual-mass flywheel.

But this sounds completely different. You need to have your mechtronic unit diagnosed by a VW service tech - if your dash shows 1 but it isn't moving forward, that could be a serious problem with a sensor within the DSG itself. If you're lucky, it's electrical. If you're not so lucky, it could be a physical malfunction...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE Performance 3-Door in Pure White
      03-29-2016 08:00 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Bravos View Post
      Uhhhh...I have no idea. If your DSG is making rattling noises at idle, then it's almost certainly the dual-mass flywheel.

But this sounds completely different. You need to have your mechtronic unit diagnosed by a VW service tech - if your dash shows 1 but it isn't moving forward, that could be a serious problem with a sensor within the DSG itself. If you're lucky, it's electrical. If you're not so lucky, it could be a physical malfunction...
      Been searching all over for a similar case and nothing. Gonna get it looked at. It almost feel like the clutch is scraping.

Could it be a transmission mount?
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

7. Member
      10-06-2017 10:16 AM #105
      Driving the DSG for a bit longer than a year ... trying to remember every single time day this is not an automatic but a computerized manual
      I ended up driving in manual must of the time as this removed the feel that the clutch was being dragged trying to anticipate to a shift
      It was disappointing when I drove my wife CRV and felt that it responded better then the GTI, at least in traffic and under 80 km/h (99% of my driving)

then I got a DSG reflash

This has made the car SO much more enjoyable
      I now leave it in Drive most of the time
      It goes smoothly with traffic
      press on the accelerator and it accelerates accordingly, wow such a novelty concept, the unresponsiveness of the stock programming is no longer there
      give a bit more it down shifts one gear and accelerates fast
      I no longer have the floating or remote sensation when cruising in 6th gear at 80km/h
      When starting from a stop the car goes fast as soon as I accelerate just like any other of the cars I have owned for the last 30 yrs, actually faster

I'm quite enjoying the GTI now
      2016 Mk7 GTI Revo stg1 DSG tune
      1982 mk1 golf, 1990 mk2 golf, 1991 mk2 golf, 1994 mk3 golf, 2002 mk1 Seat Leon, others, 2013 Mk6 jetta

8. Member
      Vehicles
      16 VW GTI Autobahn PP DSG
      10-06-2017 10:20 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by amgtorre View Post
      Driving the DSG for a bit longer than a year ... trying to remember every single time day this is not an automatic but a computerized manual
      I ended up driving in manual must of the time as this removed the feel that the clutch was being dragged trying to anticipate to a shift
      It was disappointing when I drove my wife CRV and felt that it responded better then the GTI, at least in traffic and under 80 km/h (99% of my driving)

then I got a DSG reflash

press on the accelerator and it accelerates accordingly, wow such a novelty concept, the unresponsiveness of the stock programming is no longer there
      I no longer have the floating or remote sensation when cruising in 6th gear at 80km/h
      When starting from a stop the car goes fast as soon as I accelerate just like any other of the cars I have owned for the last 30 yrs, actually faster

Which flash did you go with?

9. 10-06-2017 03:16 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by amgtorre View Post

then I got a DSG reflash

So basically you spent $ to improve the auto mode not the manual mode of DSG.
      Of course, the tune will let your auto mode simulate the instant reaction of the manual mode except it doesn't include the fun.

And of course, it's not relate to this OP m.o.: " This isn't a discussion of Drive or sport mode, as there's really nothing to decide - Click it and stick it. This is all about shifting manually for those folks who like to drive it like a manual."
      Last edited by username2014; 10-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.
      2015_MkVII GTI S.4 DSG + LP

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta SEL 1.8T
      10-06-2017 05:51 PM #108
      Well written with some good info! I have been toying with triptronic mode a lot lately so some of this info is kinda "ooohhhh ok that makes sense.." Well done! Subbed

Vehicles
      2016 Jetta GLI SEL
      10-10-2017 07:05 PM #109
      Great write-up!

I have been learning these exact tips/tricks as I have exclusively driven my GLI in manual mode for at least the last 3-4k miles and I love it. I am able to keep the RPM's low when driving to/from work (better MPG's I've noticed) as well as it allows me to properly engine brake around town, saving both my brake pads longevity as well as wheels from brake dust!

Two videos I watched when I was looking at picking up my GLI w/DSG that were invaluable to me were these, I highly recommend them:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1Vk7SE-TI
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42zsFYjZvM

Thanks again! Happy driving all my fellow DSG'ers!
      16 Jetta GLI SEL w/DSG - Mods: Uni Stg 2 | Uni DP w/cat | CTS CAI | LED's | 2500k Fogs | %35 Tint | 034 MMI | USP Hoodstrut
      Mods to come: R Sway Bar, Lowering Springs, DSG TCU Tune, D/S Rotors w/SS Lines
      Fuelly

Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI (wifey)
      10-11-2017 06:13 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I miss my DSG farts 🙁 I don't have them anymore with my APR DSG tune....I need mah farts even if they are only a sound, everyone needs a good fart sometimes lol

Kei
      You were able to get your GLI to DSG fart? I never have been able to. My wife's GTI farts like no one's business and I love it. My GLI is silent... (and not so deadly).

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy) sold, '13 GLi Autobahn DSG (daily)
      10-11-2017 06:51 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      You were able to get your GLI to DSG fart? I never have been able to. My wife's GTI farts like no one's business and I love it. My GLI is silent... (and not so deadly).
      Haha, yup, my 2013 GLi used to fart like a champ (not as good as the mk7 GTi did when I had it)......until I got my APR DSG tune, then it no longer farted. It was a sad happy day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

14. 10-11-2017 07:18 PM #112
      What does fart mean? Keep seeing it pop up everywhere? Just the delay?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      10-11-2017 07:20 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyGLI13 View Post

The DSG shifts so fast that it makes the exhaust pop....sounds kinda like a fart...so....DSG fart.

16. 10-12-2017 01:00 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      The DSG shifts so fast that it makes the exhaust pop....sounds kinda like a fart...so....DSG fart.
      I've never noticed this. I'll have to lower the music.

Vehicles
      10-12-2017 07:37 AM #115
      I've never noticed this. I'll have to lower the music.

I've never heard it on my GLI, just on my wife's GTI.
      Last edited by vwlifer27; 10-12-2017 at 11:26 AM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 1.4 TSI Jetta Comfortline
      10-12-2017 09:58 AM #116

It's unburnt fuel entering the exhaust when the dsg shifts. On shifts the car cuts spark. Fuel ignites in the exhaust giving the fart sound.

19. 01-03-2018 10:15 PM #117
      <<This is all about shifting manually for those folks who like to drive it like a manual>>

Need some DSG driving tips. I plan on eventually getting a tune so I can go "full" manual, but in the meantime...

One thing I do not like about the OEM DSG software is that in manual mode, when you go WOT and click that switch, it will automatically downshift and tends to downshift one gear too many, especially when you're going about 25-30mph and 55-60mph.

Example: 2nd gear tops out around 60mph. So... I'll be cruising at 58mph. If I floor it, it will kick down to 2nd gear which will bring the motor to around 5800rpms and at the tail end of the power band, and then it will have to upshift immediately to 3rd. Very annoying. Personally, I think the OEM software should prevent a downshift if it will bring the engine speed above 5500rpms.

I've gotten in the habit of "not flooring it" completely when accelerating (which is counter intuitive) in order to avoid an unwanted automatic gear change.

Another example: I was entering an onramp in manual mode in 2nd gear. I rolled on the throttle and manually upshifted to 3rd around 50mph. And right at about 55-58mph in 3rd I accidentally went WOT and the DSG kicked down to 2nd gear, bringing the revs to almost 6000rpms and then having to upshift back to 3rd. Again, very annoying.

Open to suggestions on how to drive it better. Thx.
      BMW M235i [Previous Rides: '16 GTI PP - '09 M3 - '15 Golf R - '07 Cayman S - '04 DBP R32 - '03 20AE GTI - '91 GTI 16V - '84 GTI]

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy) sold, '13 GLi Autobahn DSG (daily)
      01-03-2018 10:30 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by ICIN235 View Post
      <<This is all about shifting manually for those folks who like to drive it like a manual>>

Need some DSG driving tips. I plan on eventually getting a tune so I can go "full" manual, but in the meantime...

One thing I do not like about the OEM DSG software is that in manual mode, when you go WOT and click that switch, it will automatically downshift and tends to downshift one gear too many, especially when you're going about 25-30mph and 55-60mph.

Example: 2nd gear tops out around 60mph. So... I'll be cruising at 58mph. If I floor it, it will kick down to 2nd gear which will bring the motor to around 5800rpms and at the tail end of the power band, and then it will have to upshift immediately to 3rd. Very annoying. Personally, I think the OEM software should prevent a downshift if it will bring the engine speed above 5500rpms.

I've gotten in the habit of "not flooring it" completely when accelerating (which is counter intuitive) in order to avoid an unwanted automatic gear change.

Another example: I was entering an onramp in manual mode in 2nd gear. I rolled on the throttle and manually upshifted to 3rd around 50mph. And right at about 55-58mph in 3rd I accidentally went WOT and the DSG kicked down to 2nd gear, bringing the revs to almost 6000rpms and then having to upshift back to 3rd. Again, very annoying.

Open to suggestions on how to drive it better. Thx.
      Interesting, I never really had a problem with this since I knew the switch was there. I have a sensitive foot though, so it was very easy to floor it without hitting the switch.

I think besides muscle memory, the best way to deal with this besides that would be to get a DSG tune. With one of those you can do whatever you want with the pedal, and it won't upshift in any gear (except 1st to 2nd for safety).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

21. 01-05-2019 02:41 PM #119
      Tip - Increase Throttle Position *Before* a Downshift, Not After.
      Accelerator position is a major KEY in influencing the alternate gear selection. While there are many, many factors that go into telling the brains of the DSG what gear to switch the alternate gearbox into (And its impossible to get a handle on them all), "Intent" is a huge one. The DSG uses the throttle position to determine if you are thinking of accelerating (queues up a lower gear for performance) or not accelerating / decelerating (Queues up a higher gear for economy) -Seems pretty "Duh" right? If you are wanting to accelerate, you put the pedal down. If you don't want accelerate, you let off the throttle or hold it at minimal. Nobody would argue with that. But what you may not think about is that if you are used to driving a manual, and are now driving a DSG - your habits may *actually confuse* the DSG and make it think you want the opposite of what you are about to do. Here is what I mean. Lets look at a manual transmission driving scenario for downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to accelerate :
      I believe this is incorrect.

I have been playing with this scenario for a few hours now and I've noticed something. If you increase throttle say 10% the downshift will not be smooth or fast. If you COMPLETELY lift off the throttle and then downshift and reapply throttle it will be near instant. The logic doesn't make sense above, if you're increasing throttle the DSG is going to select the next gear up as your RPMs are going to climb into the 3k territory, logic dictates that the next gear should be available for switching up in this case. However, if you completely lift off the throttle the DSG anticipates you are going to hit the brake pedal and thus pre-selects the next gear down.

Perhaps I am not providing sufficient throttle input for the above direction to work as stated? How much should one "blip" the throttle in gear to expect a quick downshift?

Does anyone have video of the above working? When I try to do this as explained above I feel hesitation before the car launches forward. If I lift completely, downshift and re-apply gas it's as if I did a downshift in a manual car.

Thoughts?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345