VWVortex.com - I want a big, cool, borderline useless knife.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 44 of 44

    Thread: I want a big, cool, borderline useless knife.

    1. 03-23-2013 06:21 PM #26
      Yeah, but at $174 it doesn't deliver enough cool-factor. I had been eying their weird naginata style thing

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 03-23-2013 09:52 PM #27
      yeah, that things pretty awesome.

      only thing is... buying a sword... of any kind.. is like the highest level of nerd possible...

      at least with a big FO knife, I can be like "yeah, I'm a shoot a elk and cut the ****er up with this eat that ****, blood all over, ****in horns on my wall, grow a beard, **** will be awesome" theres some possible level of use and remote chance of self respect.

      a sword.. as awesome as it would be.. theres no way you could justify a use. "I'm a hunt dear with this here sword" no the reality would be, at some point I'm going to cut a milk gallon filled with water in half.. I will become this guy (though not as fat)


      for that reason... I can never buy a sword.

    4. 03-24-2013 02:03 AM #28
      Yeah, it'd be neat to have - but I hate people who buy them and then pretend they know how to use them.

    5. Member Subie J's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2009
      Location
      Pacific Northwest
      Posts
      621
      03-24-2013 03:48 AM #29
      Just watch a lot of anime.



      While ridiculously expensive, I'd love one of these.

      http://www.winklerknives.com/knifeid...%20Knives%20II

    6. Member VDubby18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2007
      Location
      TX
      Posts
      3,851
      Vehicles
      Silverado
      03-25-2013 03:33 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Subie J View Post
      Just watch a lot of anime.



      While ridiculously expensive, I'd love one of these.

      http://www.winklerknives.com/knifeid...%20Knives%20II
      There is a guy over on bladeforums.com that carries a Winkler Hawk on some of his drug runs or whatever the hell he does. Some sort of law enforcement anyways.

      A while back he had pictures of a blood stain on the spike part of the hawk from a guy he hit with he. He said he missed and hit him in the shoulder or something ****, but he was aiming for the head.

    7. Member Subie J's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2009
      Location
      Pacific Northwest
      Posts
      621
      03-25-2013 04:01 PM #31
      I haven't been on blade forums in a long time, might have to look for the story.

      He's stated that special forces and other military units use them. (so does everyone else but.. )
      Knife Illustrated magazine has a write up on the company and there feature in zero dark thirty.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      5,026
      Vehicles
      2017 Hyundai Elantra SE
      03-25-2013 04:38 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post
      yeah, that things pretty awesome.

      only thing is... buying a sword... of any kind.. is like the highest level of nerd possible...

      at least with a big FO knife, I can be like "yeah, I'm a shoot a elk and cut the ****er up with this eat that ****, blood all over, ****in horns on my wall, grow a beard, **** will be awesome" theres some possible level of use and remote chance of self respect.

      a sword.. as awesome as it would be.. theres no way you could justify a use. "I'm a hunt dear with this here sword" no the reality would be, at some point I'm going to cut a milk gallon filled with water in half.. I will become this guy (though not as fat)


      for that reason... I can never buy a sword.


      Next time I'm at my GF's house, I'll snap a pic of the three swords she inherited when her son died. She drapes her pantyhose over them to dry and pictures in her head her son threatening her and it causes her to giggle. They are very nice swords as far as I can tell.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    9. Member NickWVU's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2006
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      167
      03-25-2013 11:36 PM #33
      Easy. The Jackhawk 9000.

    10. 07-16-2013 07:51 PM #34
      So while I was able to subdue my desire to fork over money a couple months ago...it's back. This time with the new Gerber Down Range tomahawk. I've always wanted a tomahawk but they've always been super expensive, or not my "taste".



      I'm also pretending I'll totally need this if I'm called up for CERT activities...ya know...being that I'll have to rescue tons of people..constantly.

      The difference? This time I have money...dammit.

    11. Member SpclAgentD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2001
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,349
      Vehicles
      MkIV BMP R32, MkII GLI, '05 R6
      07-16-2013 08:22 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by lusettiva View Post
      I personally would go with a tomahawk instead
      I have one of these and it just sits on my dresser. I only have it because it came in a set with a SOG Revolver and a folding spade shovel. I think it was a Groupon for $25 or something like that for all three a few years back.

      Funny you pull this post back up from the grave because I was just looking at Mission Knives today.
      FS: One 225-40/18 Nexxen N3000 Tire | Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Modem/Router (DGND3300v2) | MkII Jetta 16v OEM Taillights | MkII ABD Racing CIS-E Intake Pipe (Not CAI)

    12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      Don't move here, either.
      Posts
      11,301
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      07-17-2013 02:19 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      So while I was able to subdue my desire to fork over money a couple months ago...it's back. This time with the new Gerber Down Range tomahawk. I've always wanted a tomahawk but they've always been super expensive, or not my "taste".



      I'm also pretending I'll totally need this if I'm called up for CERT activities...ya know...being that I'll have to rescue tons of people..constantly.

      The difference? This time I have money...dammit.
      Wow. I can't believe the price on that; it's a Gerber.

      There's always the cheaper alternative:
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

    13. Senior Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      20,306
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-20-2013 09:54 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI_2.0T View Post
      Khukuri?

      Came to post this.

      Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post
      well, what about a more classic knife.

      there useful, but not as much as a modern knife, you won't find yourself using it, and they look great.



      (Ambercrombie and Fitch Bowie knife, blade is made by Puma cutlery, A&F used to be a outfitter not a clothing store)

      I have a few Marbles bowie knifes as well. they sit on a shelf next to scale cars
      Dude, I had that EXACT knife many years ago.

      For awesome BFK, this is a pretty nice choice. (ESEE Junglas, 9.75" blade)


    14. 07-20-2013 08:06 PM #38
      Every time I see the Junglas I think of Recondo from GI Joe - weird?

    15. Member <MK3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2012
      Location
      Columbia, SC
      Posts
      705
      Vehicles
      MK3 Jetta VR6, B7 Passat VR6
      07-26-2013 11:51 AM #39
      X2 on junglas

    16. 07-26-2013 04:32 PM #40
      The problem with the Junglas is that it looks far too practical. It's big...not exceptionally cool, and definitely not useless, so it's out of the running.

      The new CRKT Chogan hatchet is in the running though.

    17. Senior Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      20,306
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-29-2013 07:20 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      The problem with the Junglas is that it looks far too practical. It's big...not exceptionally cool, and definitely not useless, so it's out of the running.

      The new CRKT Chogan hatchet is in the running though.
      I beg to differ, I think the Junglas is extremely cool. That's one bad ass knife!

    18. 07-29-2013 08:27 PM #42
      Eh, but it's cool in the way an old M3 is cool. Sleek, attractive, and far too purposeful. I want something with a bit more hooligan in it.

    19. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      So many potholes
      Posts
      17,340
      Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      07-29-2013 10:44 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      So while I was able to subdue my desire to fork over money a couple months ago...it's back. This time with the new Gerber Down Range tomahawk. I've always wanted a tomahawk but they've always been super expensive, or not my "taste".


      that looks freakin' awesome.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    20. 11-22-2019 02:41 AM #44
      Hey guys, have you ever kept a katana in your hands? Soon mine is going to arrive and a paid a lot for it, can't wait to see. Also, I asked the master to make an OTF knife, just to have it. Does any of you have a katana? I don't know how would you react when you have a new thank that you like, I am glad that I took from https://www.exploremenow.com.
      Last edited by DonWeirdo; 11-25-2019 at 03:05 AM.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •