VWVortex.com - Musk: Tesla pickup truck in five years with sports car performance and more towing power than conventional truck
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Musk: Tesla pickup truck in five years with sports car performance and more towing power than conventional truck

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      04-12-2013 05:23 PM #51
      Just making the point, this idea isn't new. And Tesla won't sell an electric truck either, not now or in five years, for the same reasons expressed by many above (reluctance of truck-driving buyers to go electric, high cost, reduced range, reliability, durability, too-good-to-be-true claims, etc. etc.). It's a trial balloon, but there's not a credible market for this type of vehicle... not at this point in time. And maybe, never...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

04-12-2013 05:28 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Boogety Boogety View Post
      Just making the point, this idea isn't new. And Tesla won't sell an electric truck either, not now or in five years, for the same reasons expressed by many above (reluctance of truck-driving buyers to go electric, high cost, reduced range, reliability, durability, too-good-to-be-true claims, etc. etc.). It's a trial balloon, but there's not a credible market for this type of vehicle... not at this point in time. And maybe, never...
      To be fair there WOULD be a credible market for this type of vehicle of all of the above list could be checked off.
      Quote Originally Posted by Adler v. Relynet
      THE COURT: Knighton was that strange guy; right?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Mustang Ecoboost, 2011 EX35
      04-12-2013 05:32 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      A Silverado/Tahoe with Volt technology would be really awesome, and probably very popular for work fleets and the like.
      My fiance's dad is currently driving a hyrbid Tahoe for work, I know its a very mild system and nothing like what is in the Volt, but it does get fairly decent MPG for such a huge vehicle. He says he averages 19mpg, which is only .5mpg less than my fiances EX35 (grated VQ engines suck for gas mileage).

I would think the instant low-end torque of a electric would be great for towing.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      04-12-2013 05:33 PM #54
      lol, ok

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      04-12-2013 05:37 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
      To be fair there WOULD be a credible market for this type of vehicle of all of the above list could be checked off.
      Agreed. The technology is just not there, and is unlikely to exist with current (hah!) or proposed technology, looking ten-twelve years out. Lots of R&D money is being spent right now chasing the dream of alternate compact, safe, reliable, durable, foolproof, transportable, storable, and more than anything else, affordable energy storage sources anywhere near the same level as that provided by modern gasoline engines, with the appropriate delivery infrastructure to get same to customers. But unless someone can start bending the laws of physics, or unless God himself buys Tesla, a truck ain't happening in the marketplace. One may be built, not saying it can't be done, but... Selling it would be an uphill battle...

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-12-2013 05:41 PM #56
      I think he's an entrepreneur and he's always thinking of markets to get into. However, I wouldn't write off the market for a PHEV, at least, pickup. Those retrofitted Silverados above are a pretty rough first draft, but a PHEV truck is not a bad idea or an unworkable one. Pure electric would probably not work out that well, but if you could sell a hybrid pickup with 15-20 miles of EV-only range for $50-60k, I think there's buyers for that.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 RX-8
      04-12-2013 06:01 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      They'll probably be able to do it, no problem.

...but towing 5000lbs, it's going to have a 15 km range.
      it would come with a 15km retractable extension cord, of course
      Quote Originally Posted by wolfcastle View Post
      Who cares if im wrong, its the internet.

04-12-2013 06:03 PM #58
      needs a diesel generator to recharge the electrics on the fly
      Quote Originally Posted by Adler v. Relynet
      THE COURT: Knighton was that strange guy; right?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-12-2013 06:09 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
      needs a diesel generator to recharge the electrics on the fly
      No, gas. You're already paying for batteries; there's no sense in paying extra for diesel (both the drivetrain and the fuel) when you'd be relying on wall juice for the majority of your recharging. Wall juice is cheaper, more efficient, and cleaner than any power produced by the ICE, so you'd be better off relying on that most of the time and using the ICE only infrequently. And if you're using it only infrequently, then there's really no reason to go with diesel.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 04-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

04-13-2013 12:39 AM #60
      They could sell these as fast as they could build them here in Hawaii. Everyone is fairly affluent, and into one dirty sport or another that requires a pickup. The closest we have is the Tacoma, which is the official vehicle of people who need a truck, but want to be able to park it. Fullsize trucks do give the best bang for your buck, but also come with a truck nut, egotistical, douchebag stigma that not everybody wants to project. I can't be the only urban person who needs a truck that is not 3 football fields long.

I have already seen tons of Model S driving around here. These will sell like wild fire in all active yuppie utopias across the US.

If they sell this in extra cab, with 100 mile range, for under $50,000 I will pre order on day 1.

Can't wait

Vehicles
      97 Jazz suede silver
      04-13-2013 01:23 AM #61
      Anything is possibly, with enough funding from the US government.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-13-2013 08:08 AM #63
      Why don't they make a commercial delivery vehicle for UPS or Fedex? I know UPS and Fedex were early adopters of hybrid tech. IMO, it would make sense to cut down one of their largest expenses, fuel. Obviously this wouldn't work for all routes but it wouldn't be hard to figure out which ones could benefit from an electric delivery truck. When i worked at UPS in highschool a lot of our trucks went to shopping centers and had less than 5 stops all day and far less than 100 miles round trip.
      signatures are annoying, right?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf TSI
      04-13-2013 10:59 AM #64

A Tesla truck can easily tow what those electric trucks at the airport tow. A 747 weighs 128,730 pounds, so let's figure that's the towing limit. Other Teslas have a 300 mile range that turns out to be only 250 in real life, so figure the truck will do that, too.

It needs to faster than the Chevrolet.

So where does that leave the price? Probably a little higher than the Model S. Figure under $150K. Only a wealthy, status-seeking person would buy a truck like that anyway, but I think it would work.

15. 11-21-2019 12:23 AM #65
      Bump because this is the first thread I could find about this.

If anyone is interested, the "Cybertruck" will be unveiled tomorrow, November 21st. Don't think there's an official time yet, but probably 8:00 PM PST.

• Costs "less than $50,000"

• Base model will be equipped with a dual-motor setup (meaning all-wheel drive will come standard) and a dynamic suspension that automatically adjusts based on how much weight the truck is carrying.

• There will be a version of the truck that gets 400 to 500 miles of range

• The truck will have lockers, plus 240V outlets for using “high power tools in field all day” with “no generator needed."

• 300,000-pound towing capacity (probably just means it can pull something that weighs 300,000 pounds, not an official tow rating)

• “A really futuristic-like cyberpunk, Blade Runner pickup truck.” He’s called the design “heart-stopping,” and said the project is his “personal favorite” out of all the ones Tesla is working on.

• Apparently will match acceleration of a 911

• “We are going to come out with the Tesla pickup truck, or we call it ‘Cybertruck.’ I mean, it looks like an armored personnel carrier from the future. It doesn’t look like a normal car. You may like it, you may not. I like it. It’s going to look like it came off a movie set. When it goes down the road. Like, ‘Whoa, What’s that thing?”
      Last edited by TheCool; 11-21-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      11-21-2019 01:02 AM #66
      This aged like a Trump tweet

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      11-21-2019 08:30 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      OMG!

I was just reading that posting, at the top of the page, of this bumped thread.

I can't wait for tonight's reveal!

18. 11-21-2019 06:55 PM #68
      Last edited by TheCool; 11-21-2019 at 07:08 PM.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      11-21-2019 07:13 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by TheCool View Post
      This thing is going to look like a Syd Meade concept come to life!
      Which is appropriate, given the Blade Runner influence.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/01/...-ask-syd-mead/

Can’t wait!
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 11-21-2019 at 07:18 PM.

20. 11-21-2019 07:20 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post

Clicked on this thread and this post was right at the top of the page. Made me LOL. Who'd've thunk we'd be close to having Tesla, Rivian and Ford release their all electric trucks? Not I that's for sure.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      11-21-2019 07:22 PM #71
      Wow. I didn't realize that Musk has been talking about a pickup truck for 6 1/2 years already.

22. 11-21-2019 07:24 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      This thing is going to look like a Syd Meade concept come to life!
      Which is appropriate, given the Blade Runner influence.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/01/...-ask-syd-mead/

Can’t wait!
      This better not disappoint. I have been waiting for an EV to look like a futuristic car I'd want to own. The only good looking EV I can name right now is the Taycan. The Model S is inoffensive at best, downright boring at worst. The rest are styling disasters.

23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      all the diesels, and an mg
      11-21-2019 07:25 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Wow. I didn't realize that Musk has been talking about a pickup truck for 6 1/2 years already.
      so the reveal is running a hair ahead of schedule?

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      11-21-2019 07:29 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      so the reveal is running a hair ahead of schedule?
      By the time it finally comes out we will have been through 2 generations of GM pickups.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      11-21-2019 07:44 PM #75
      I haven't read all the details, but are they showing a concept vehicle, or something more production ready? I realize the production will take a while, especially with the Model Y still to reach production, but I'm hoping it's a more production ready car, much like the Rivian truck and SUV were during their release.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast