Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cam adjuster oil rings

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      10-14-2014 12:23 PM #26
      My adjuster unit did not have those grooves when I did my chain/tensioner at 170,000 miles for the first time. I have an early '06 build GTI, with the PLASTIC rings. Did yours have the metal or plastic rings? I would suspect that the metal rings could possibly make those grooves, but not plastic. The plastic would wear down first. It could also be possible that those grooves were intentionally put there on certain build dates for the adjusters ??? Just a thought.
      -Zach
      VW Bay Window Bus : Mk1 Rabbit Diesel : Corrado VR6 : Mk3 Golf ABA : Mk5 GTI 2.0T
      European Auto Gruppe - Texas-based Euro club 11 years strong

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 1.8T Avant
      10-14-2014 03:01 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by vwisthebest View Post
      My adjuster unit did not have those grooves when I did my chain/tensioner at 170,000 miles for the first time. I have an early '06 build GTI, with the PLASTIC rings. Did yours have the metal or plastic rings? I would suspect that the metal rings could possibly make those grooves, but not plastic. The plastic would wear down first. It could also be possible that those grooves were intentionally put there on certain build dates for the adjusters ??? Just a thought.
      Mine did have the metal rings. Aren't those rings supposed to be fairly locked down in the variator/adjuster so that they spin with it while creating the seal for the oil passages? If the diameter increases via these grooves the rings won't be able to create as tight a seal. I don't think these are put on there for any specific build date and the part number that Audi/VW gives for all 2.0T engines is pictured as smooth like above. There would be no reason to have those grooves as it would put unnecessary stress on the rings when removing the cam chain cover.

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      10-15-2014 04:07 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowofBob View Post
      Mine did have the metal rings. Aren't those rings supposed to be fairly locked down in the variator/adjuster so that they spin with it while creating the seal for the oil passages? If the diameter increases via these grooves the rings won't be able to create as tight a seal. I don't think these are put on there for any specific build date and the part number that Audi/VW gives for all 2.0T engines is pictured as smooth like above. There would be no reason to have those grooves as it would put unnecessary stress on the rings when removing the cam chain cover.
      If what you say about change in part number and no new part revisions, I suspect the grooves are wear. Being that you had the metal rings, I'd say they're the cause. I have 2.5 times the mileage and no grooves at all on mine. That makes me happy mine had the plastic rings. I had no issue with the plastic rings when I swapped in the new tensioner, so I put back on my original housing and have been good for another 7,000 miles already.

I have no clue what type of disadvantage the grooves are causing or if they increase risk of a failure. If I were you, I'd try to source a used, undamaged timing adjuster and a housing cover with the plastic rings. Or maybe just source the plastic rings if you can find them. I sold my spar housing to a guy and he took one of the plastic rings off mine and put it on his housing to replace a broken one, so that procedure can be done.
      -Zach
      VW Bay Window Bus : Mk1 Rabbit Diesel : Corrado VR6 : Mk3 Golf ABA : Mk5 GTI 2.0T

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 1.8T Avant
      10-15-2014 05:50 PM #29
      If what you say about change in part number and no new part revisions, I suspect the grooves are wear. Being that you had the metal rings, I'd say they're the cause. I have 2.5 times the mileage and no grooves at all on mine. That makes me happy mine had the plastic rings. I had no issue with the plastic rings when I swapped in the new tensioner, so I put back on my original housing and have been good for another 7,000 miles already.

I have no clue what type of disadvantage the grooves are causing or if they increase risk of a failure. If I were you, I'd try to source a used, undamaged timing adjuster and a housing cover with the plastic rings. Or maybe just source the plastic rings if you can find them. I sold my spar housing to a guy and he took one of the plastic rings off mine and put it on his housing to replace a broken one, so that procedure can be done.
      I am not sure its a direct result of having metal rings, maybe debris in the oil, or a combination of both. Prior to my ownership the cam and fuel pump were replaced under warranty. I ended up buying a new cam adjuster and cam chain cover. I'll let you know what the rings are made of when I get my parts in. The newest available revision of the cam chain cover ends in G.
      Last edited by ShadowofBob; 10-15-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      10-18-2014 10:21 PM #30
      Whatever the case with your housing, I have a cam adjuster from my spare engine if you're interested. No groove damage in it - it had the plastic rings in the cover.
      -Zach

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 1.8T Avant
      10-20-2014 01:06 AM #31
      Whatever the case with your housing, I have a cam adjuster from my spare engine if you're interested. No groove damage in it - it had the plastic rings in the cover.
      Thanks for the offer but I've already ordered the replacement parts as I need to get my car out of my friend's shop ASAP so it's not taking up space. I did find out this weekend that there is a kit that includes the Cam adjuster, cam chain cover and gasket for less than all these parts sell for separately though! I would have saved $50 and had the parts much sooner had I ordered even with the prices I got my parts at, but over list I think the savings are closer to $150.

The part number for the kit is: 06F198088D
      At the moment it is ~$630 for the kit from online parts sellers.

Hopefully that will help someone else out if they have to replace both adjuster and the cover. Seeing as there is an OEM kit for these parts I'm guessing I am not the only one with this problem.
      Last edited by ShadowofBob; 10-20-2014 at 01:08 AM.

9. 11-17-2014 10:09 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by mpax View Post
      mine were rubber, i used some viton power steering sealing rings for a ford, they stretch over and come back to size very well. I had no luck finding them either, unless maybe they would be included in a cylinder head gasket set
      Do you remember what size rings you used?

Thanks

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      12-01-2014 01:42 PM #33
      Selling my spare timing adjuster unit here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...iming-Adjuster
      -Zach

11. 01-06-2015 04:41 PM #34
      I have a spare Camshaft Chain Cover Adjuster Housing that has two (2) good "Plastic" rings. It came out of a 2006 Passat with 80,000 miles on the odometer.

Which "Plastic" rings are good?

The ring on the very top of the shaft is good and the ring on the very bottom is also in tact. (The ring in the middle snapped - Which I still have)

(Use the 2 good plastic rings to replace your snapped ring)

If anyone would like to buy my cover PART NUMBER 06F 103 530 please send me a Private Message with an offer.

WHAT? Camshaft Chain Cover Adjuster Housing with Plastic Rings (06F 103 530)
      MILES? 80,000
      WHERE? Shipped From Portland, Oregon
      CONTACT? Please send me a PM
      PRICE? Please make me a reasonable offer.

(The image below is not of my cover, but one identical to it)

12. 11-10-2015 01:24 PM #35
      Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing the info above on these plastic pieces and the part # seems to be $40-60 online which is a lot for what they are but the entire part for $600 is crazy as well. I broke my N205 plastic electrical part my N205 but its still cheaper to buy the pieces.

Thanks again.
      David

13. Member
      01-24-2016 04:29 PM #36
      Can these metal rings be used to replace the broken plastic rings or just to replace old metal rings? I need to replace my broken plastic rings, and am hoping I don't have to buy a complete new cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by bmulder; 01-25-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 GLI
      01-26-2016 10:29 PM #37
      Out of all these people that have done this diy and all the knowledge in this tread, no one has anything on if you can use the metal rings to replace the broken plastic one?
      If anyone has could you please let us know. It would be really nice to be able to save 500 plus by buying the rings instead of a whole new housing.

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      01-26-2016 10:33 PM #38
      Try it. You're just as qualified to give the answer as anyone else here
      -Zach

16. Member
      01-26-2016 11:02 PM #39
      Yeah, I'm going to try it. I ordered them from vwpartsoutlet.com and will install soon hopefully. I'll let you all know since no one else has said either way.

17. 01-27-2016 10:27 AM #40
      Hi,
      I'm interested in the cover is this still available?

18. Member
      01-29-2016 07:24 PM #41
      I just got my order in from vwpartsoutlet.com and the rings are plastic, not metal. This is good news to me because I don't have to worry about compatibility with them replacing my broken plastic ones. I'll follow up again once I have the new rings installed.

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      01-29-2016 07:27 PM #42
      Thanks for the update. The guy that bought my spare, used housing used one of its plastic rings to replace one of his broken plastic rings. You shouldn't have any problems.
      -Zach

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 GLI
      01-29-2016 07:55 PM #43
      So it there like a little slit in the rings to install them on the shaft?

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 GLI
      01-31-2016 03:20 PM #44
      Any luck with the rings?

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 GLI
      01-31-2016 03:29 PM #45
      Any luck with the rings?

23. Member
      01-31-2016 03:33 PM #46
      Well... I took the cover off yesterday, installed two of the new rings, and broke the third trying to get it on.
      These things are so delicate! I would recommend only replacing the broken ones if you have any intact. That way you have a spare in case you break one like I did.

Here are the pics I took of the rings before install:

Last edited by bmulder; 01-31-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added Pics

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 GLI
      01-31-2016 04:11 PM #47
      Darn, is the 3rd pic of the ring that broke? How did you install the rings? Do they have a little slit on them to bend and place on the shaft? Good thing is that we now know that you can in fact replace just the rings. Feel sorry for the people that shelled out 500 bucks on a new housing. How's the car drive now? CEL gone?

25. Member
      01-31-2016 04:21 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by spcski88 View Post
      Darn, is the 3rd pic of the ring that broke? How did you install the rings? Do they have a little slit on them to bend and place on the shaft? Good thing is that we now know that you can in fact replace just the rings. Feel sorry for the people that shelled out 500 bucks on a new housing. How's the car drive now? CEL gone?
      The third pic is just showing the split in the ring, that is how you install them. They slip over the shaft and into the grooves, but you have to be very careful or they will snap, as mine did.

Because all three of mine were broken I had to order more to replace the one I snapped. So I'm not sure that this will fix my CEL. :/

26. Member
      01-31-2016 04:30 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by spcski88 View Post
      The third pic is just showing the split in the ring, that is how you install them. They slip over the shaft and into the grooves, but you have to be very careful or they will snap, as mine did.

Because all three of mine were broken I had to order more to replace the one I snapped. So I'm not sure that this will fix my CEL. :/

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      01-31-2016 04:37 PM #50
      Zoom in on the first pic. The left ring you can see the slit at 7 o'clock

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'll probably order a set of the rings if I ever do my cam chain again.

Just a reminder to people... high mileage doesn't necessarily mean broken plastic rings. At 170,000 miles all my original plastic rings were intact. The trick is to be extremely careful when removing the housing. Don't pull it. Just jiggle it lightly and slowly back it straight away from the head (no tilting) so none of the rings catch on the inside of the timing adjuster unit.
      -Zach

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast