Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cam adjuster oil rings

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 GLI
      01-31-2016 05:53 PM #51
      Ah okay I see it now. I'm kinda relived now because I thought all my rings were snapped because they have this slit. Turns out its just one. Sorry to hear you have to get more. I'm gonna go ahead and order mine. It is a bitch to pull that housing out straight. I'm sure I'll break more putting it in. I think I'll just buy 9 of these rings. What a ****ty design.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      01-31-2016 10:27 PM #52
      I wouldn't say it's a ****ty design. The part was never intended to be removed. Cam chain and tensioner are intended to be a 'lifetime part', even if every car enthusiast out there knows there's no such thing as a lifetime part. That is why each of us knows plenty of people that won't drive a car with over 100,000 miles. These are the types of maintenance requirements one should expect on high mileage or older vehicles, if that's what they choose to drive.

All that said, I'd call this specific issue more user error than a design flaw. Those with broken rings are likely to speak up about it on the forums but I'd bet most people don't have that issue.
      Last edited by vwisthebest; 01-31-2016 at 10:32 PM.
      -Zach
      VW Bay Window Bus : Mk1 Rabbit Diesel : Corrado VR6 : Mk3 Golf ABA : Mk5 GTI 2.0T
      European Auto Gruppe - Texas-based Euro club 11 years strong

4. Member
      02-10-2016 03:43 PM #53
      So I replaced all three rings, managing not to snap the 4th ring I picked up. I installed the cover, buttoned everything under the hood and it seems to have fixed my CEL. I've driven 300 miles since installation and no problems.
      Let me know if you have any questions about my experience with the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      GLI 06
      03-26-2016 07:38 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by bmulder View Post
      So I replaced all three rings, managing not to snap the 4th ring I picked up. I installed the cover, buttoned everything under the hood and it seems to have fixed my CEL. I've driven 300 miles since installation and no problems.
      Let me know if you have any questions about my experience with the repair.

What codes did you have before replace the o rings? P000A and P0011?

Thanks

7. Member
      03-26-2016 07:39 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by maicol1524 View Post
      What codes did you have before replace the o rings? P000A and P0011?

Thanks

Yes, I had both of them from time to time. Nothing since replacing all the rings.

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      GLI 06
      03-26-2016 07:41 PM #56
      Yes, I had both of them from time to time. Nothing since replacing all the rings.
      Thanks for the upgrade, I'll check my o rings, because I'm having those codes

9. 04-09-2016 06:08 PM #57
      Just thought I let everyone know .I have successfully replaced the metal rings with plastic one. The plastic rings are superseded which won't cause the moderator to have any wear grooves in them. Thanks for the part number.

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      GLI 06
      04-25-2016 01:34 PM #58
      **update**

After change my 205 valve, my p000a and p0011 continues, I took of the housing and I found this...

-ring broken
      -metal grind from my last camfollwer fail.

Thanks

11. Member
      04-25-2016 01:36 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by maicol1524 View Post
      **update**

After change my 205 valve, my p000a and p0011 continues, I took of the housing and I found this...

-ring broken
      -metal grind from my last camfollwer fail.

Thanks

Looks like you found the cause of your CELs! I'd bet a new set of rings will have it running right again.

Vehicles
      Too Many VWs
      04-25-2016 09:58 PM #60
      Glad you found the source of your repetitive codes!
      -Zach
      VW Bay Window Bus : Mk1 Rabbit Diesel : Corrado VR6 : Mk3 Golf ABA : Mk5 GTI 2.0T
      European Auto Gruppe - Texas-based Euro club 11 years strong

13. 04-26-2016 12:26 AM #61
      They sell just the rings by the way... Sorry don't have part number handy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. 08-12-2016 12:40 PM #62
      Can anyone give me some advice on this topic ?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

15. Member
      08-12-2016 12:53 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Bilal.utah View Post
      Can anyone give me some advice on this topic ?

What questions do you have???

16. 08-12-2016 01:01 PM #64
      I bought a 2005 audi a4 a with 2.0 turbo engine, the previous owner had the head rebuilt 17k miles ago, on the receipt it says engine light comes on due to cam adjuster, I get the code P0011 and P000a, I put a new actuator and it still throws a code, I removed the valve cover, set the crank on TDC and the exhaust cam lines up with the marks but the lobe on the intake cam looks like it's a tooth off, I removed the cam chain housing and found a broken oil ring, my question is some came with metal oil rings like mine and come came with plastic, I ordered a set from the dealer, the metal oil rings seem to have made grooves, in the cam adjuster, can I just put new oil rings ?

17. 08-12-2016 01:09 PM #65
      Would the new rings go into the adjuster properly ? Im guessing it could break if it gets caught in one of the grooves,

18. 08-12-2016 01:23 PM #66
      What questions do you have???

Sorry i just joined so im getting used to using this app, i have my question posted on the forum

19. Member
      08-12-2016 05:08 PM #67
      I bought a 2005 audi a4 a with 2.0 turbo engine, the previous owner had the head rebuilt 17k miles ago, on the receipt it says engine light comes on due to cam adjuster, I get the code P0011 and P000a, I put a new actuator and it still throws a code, I removed the valve cover, set the crank on TDC and the exhaust cam lines up with the marks but the lobe on the intake cam looks like it's a tooth off, I removed the cam chain housing and found a broken oil ring, my question is some came with metal oil rings like mine and come came with plastic, I ordered a set from the dealer, the metal oil rings seem to have made grooves, in the cam adjuster, can I just put new oil rings ?

I believe replacing the broken rings should fix your problem. It sounds very similar to the codes I was getting from my 2.0T when it had a broken ring.

20. 08-12-2016 05:50 PM #68
      Thank you, should I adjust the intake camshaft to since the lobe looks higher than the lobe on the exhaust cam on the 4th cylinder

21. 08-14-2016 08:23 PM #69
      I believe replacing the broken rings should fix your problem. It sounds very similar to the codes I was getting from my 2.0T when it had a broken ring.

Sorry another question, my cam got grooves like the picture im uploading, the picture is not from my car but i can fell light grooves on mine, do i need to change the can adjuster or will it be ok just replacing the oil seals?

22. Member
      08-14-2016 09:33 PM #70
      Sorry another question, my cam got grooves like the picture im uploading, the picture is not from my car but i can fell light grooves on mine, do i need to change the can adjuster or will it be ok just replacing the oil seals?

Mine had grooves in it too, I replaced with plastic rings and have had no problems for about 5k miles. I'd say go for it.

23. 08-14-2016 11:16 PM #71
      Mine had grooves in it too, I replaced with plastic rings and have had no problems for about 5k miles. I'd say go for it.

Great, thanks for your help, i get all the parts tomorrow and will we working on it at night, il let you know how it goes, fingers crossed i dont get P0011 and P000a anymore

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      08-15-2016 08:09 AM #72
      Just to be clear...NOT a code P0010? That is electrical, right? Having trouble with this and was told the subject of this thread I should consider.

25. Member
      08-15-2016 09:31 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Fogcat View Post
      Just to be clear...NOT a code P0010? That is electrical, right? Having trouble with this and was told the subject of this thread I should consider.
      That is likely caused by a bad or failing cam position sensor, or N205 sensor?

What car/engine is it? I think I have a spare used N205 I could send you if you want to swap in a known good part. I just need to check in the garage, let me know.

26. 08-15-2016 09:00 PM #74

When doing the cam timing, the cam adjuster spins about half and inch to the left then half an inch to the right, what position should it be on before i put on the chain ?

27. Member
      08-15-2016 09:53 PM #75
      When doing the cam timing, the cam adjuster spins about half and inch to the left then half an inch to the right, what position should it be on before i put on the chain ?

Sorry I can help you much there. When I replaced my tensioner and chain I marked the teeth on both cams and ensured they stayed in the same position when I installed the new chain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast