VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Justification for higher education

1. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      03-25-2020 07:55 AM #551
      One final thing about the accounting/tax discussion for the college aged folks. If that's your interest/major, you attend just about any solid undergrad (think USN&WR top 75ish) and you are a top 10% student AND network with your professors (get them to know you in office hours) who most certainly have relationships with Big4 recruiters on campus, you will get a job. And if you show solid aptitude, know how to dress, speak, handle yourself...you will get doors and entry level salaries and bonuses opened up to you you might not have though possible just 5-10 yrs ago. I see real world examples of this everyday.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 03-25-2020 at 08:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      RS3, SQ5, Miata, SLK, & Allroad
      03-25-2020 11:30 AM #552
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I hate you.

But in a good way.
      So, when are you coming out west? I make ok-ish brisket and decent drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      One final thing about the accounting/tax discussion for the college aged folks. If that's your interest/major, you attend just about any solid undergrad (think USN&WR top 75ish) and you are a top 10% student AND network with your professors (get them to know you in office hours) who most certainly have relationships with Big4 recruiters on campus, you will get a job. And if you show solid aptitude, know how to dress, speak, handle yourself...you will get doors and entry level salaries and bonuses opened up to you you might not have though possible just 5-10 yrs ago. I see real world examples of this everyday.

I picked accounting because when visiting colleges I saw that business school had the highest placement in industry out of school for the colleges I looked at. I also saw that accounting had the highest placement out of college.

Of my graduating class from the master's program, all but 1 person got a job in tax out of school. The one guy who didn't went to the midwest to play for an AAA team with hopes of being pulled up to the big show. I started school in September and had a job offer signed by the end of October. It was nice to be able to spend the year focusing on learning without worrying about job prospects.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-25-2020 11:59 AM #553
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post

I picked accounting because when visiting colleges I saw that business school had the highest placement in industry out of school for the colleges I looked at. I also saw that accounting had the highest placement out of college.

Of my graduating class from the master's program, all but 1 person got a job in tax out of school. The one guy who didn't went to the midwest to play for an AAA team with hopes of being pulled up to the big show. I started school in September and had a job offer signed by the end of October. It was nice to be able to spend the year focusing on learning without worrying about job prospects.
      Yeah, when I was in accounting at Nova, there were maybe 175 accounting majors in my senior class, I think the vast majority had big-4/Big-8 job offers, a few went to grad school (credit hours for CPA), a few went direct to companies in audit or corporate finance (lots of ACC/FIN double majors) and two of us poor schmucks went into the Navy (ROTC scholarships). 100% grad school or job placement. This was in 2004 though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      03-25-2020 12:05 PM #554
      This is a fun thread to follow given my profession.

I went to art school which is commonly held up as the dumbest thing one can do. After that, I got a terminal degree in my field and became a professor at a fancy liberal arts college. I've been teaching since 2011, and can't imagine working in any other field than high ed.

Liberal arts are too often derided; having an understanding of the importance of context and history is vital to making challenging choices. Pretty much all we teach is critical thinking, understanding of context, and appreciation of history.

Over the past few years, I started an Art/Science program that blends disciplines. I've also started a bunch of internships with aerospace manufacturers and marketing firms as I'm committed to what we call "applied liberal arts" where students blend disciplines and experiences so that they're prepared to lead after gaining experience in a field. So far, this approach is paying off massively in terms of job placement and mobility. Students thrive, no matter if they are an art student or economics. Blending and blurring disciplines combined with industry experiences and traditional liberal arts strengths is a combo of characteristics that I wish were available when I was a young person.

As for being a professor, it's the best job imaginable. So much flexibility, reasonably well paid, autonomy, and above all else, job satisfaction. The worst part of it is that there aren't many gear heads in higher ed. They're always reading Derrida or something.

6. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-25-2020 01:34 PM #555
      I'm scheduled to be there 5/12-5/19 but there is a small bug hampering my efforts.

I still haven't officially cancelled the trip, and I just checked with the company doing the training downtown, as of now it's still on.

I'll know more by mid-April. As of now, I have a pretty bad feeling that it's not going to happen.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      RS3, SQ5, Miata, SLK, & Allroad
      03-25-2020 03:44 PM #556
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Yeah, when I was in accounting at Nova, there were maybe 175 accounting majors in my senior class, I think the vast majority had big-4/Big-8 job offers, a few went to grad school (credit hours for CPA), a few went direct to companies in audit or corporate finance (lots of ACC/FIN double majors) and two of us poor schmucks went into the Navy (ROTC scholarships). 100% grad school or job placement. This was in 2004 though.
      I went to a lot better school for my masters than undergrad so the success rate was higher, everyone who wanted big 4 got it. In undergrad it was only a handful. I ended up in silicon valley because it was, and still is, the wild west for tax. Its definitely not a path for everyone, I worked insane amounts and had to compete with my peers for EVERYTHING. It was brutal, but I learned a ton and am in a good spot now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I'm scheduled to be there 5/12-5/19 but there is a small bug hampering my efforts.

I still haven't officially cancelled the trip, and I just checked with the company doing the training downtown, as of now it's still on.

I'll know more by mid-April. As of now, I have a pretty bad feeling that it's not going to happen.
      I was planning for something for the weekend before memorial day, but i'm not holding my breath.

8. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-25-2020 04:42 PM #557
      I was planning for something for the weekend before memorial day, but i'm not holding my breath.
      Yeah. Seems like this will be around in the long haul.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      03-25-2020 04:51 PM #558
      Education is just another tool in your toolbox. Your choices on how you use it, and your work ethic is what differentiates people. And there also some element of fate/luck/etc. over which you have no control, but knowing how to navigate through rough waters separates the men from the boys as they say.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-25-2020 05:05 PM #559
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      As for being a professor, it's the best job imaginable. So much flexibility, reasonably well paid, autonomy, and above all else, job satisfaction. The worst part of it is that there aren't many gear heads in higher ed. They're always reading Derrida or something.
      In grad school, I was all research research research and never taught or TA'd, much to my Prof.'s surprise. I wanted to go to industry and maxed that slider bar out. I'm not saying I regret that decision, but my gosh, I studied it for a decade and yet I do so little actual STEM stuff now and so much paper-pushing. I definitely wonder "what it would've been like."

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      03-25-2020 05:23 PM #560
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      In grad school, I was all research research research and never taught or TA'd, much to my Prof.'s surprise. I wanted to go to industry and maxed that slider bar out. I'm not saying I regret that decision, but my gosh, I studied it for a decade and yet I do so little actual STEM stuff now and so much paper-pushing. I definitely wonder "what it would've been like."
      You still could come back! We have hired some amazing profs come from a decade or more of industry experience and absolutely kill it in academia. The starting pay of a prof isn't superb, but it climbs. Something to consider would be adjusting. Pays horrifically, but it might be a fun experience and would let you know if it's something you'd like to pursue more. Fours hours a week, a bit of extra spending money for car parts.... DM me if you want some info on the ways into higher ed.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-25-2020 10:55 PM #561
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      You still could come back! We have hired some amazing profs come from a decade or more of industry experience and absolutely kill it in academia. The starting pay of a prof isn't superb, but it climbs. Something to consider would be adjusting. Pays horrifically, but it might be a fun experience and would let you know if it's something you'd like to pursue more. Fours hours a week, a bit of extra spending money for car parts.... DM me if you want some info on the ways into higher ed.
      Much appreciated! Right now I work for the company that sponsored my research, so I wouldn't be leaving anytime soon especially with the pending recession. It's rewarding and I'm definitely not complaining, but it'll be nice one day to be part of a university again--there's nothing else quite like it.

13. 03-27-2020 01:47 PM #562
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Much appreciated! Right now I work for the company that sponsored my research, so I wouldn't be leaving anytime soon especially with the pending recession. It's rewarding and I'm definitely not complaining, but it'll be nice one day to be part of a university again--there's nothing else quite like it.
      I wish you the best of luck with your research. I hope you achieve your goal, I would also like to recommend you an excellent service PapersOwl , you can learn more about this service by reading the review, I think that professional writers of this service can help you with research. You can also write me, I think I can help you.
      Last edited by Equitiardead; Yesterday at 06:16 AM.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223