VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Helen Police Responds

132K views 249 replies 161 participants last post by  Schmitty13 
#1 ·
I have read posts on the forum for the last few days and would like to thank you for attending and want to thank you for the positive attitudes regarding LE and the problem kids. I would like to respond and clear up some questions. First off regarding the call in of the GSP, our Agency has a total of 9 fulltime and 2 part time Officers. Due to shift assignments and 2 of those 9 working Security over night at the site, we are stretched thin. Friday night at the time of the problems we had only 4 Officers in the City for service, yep just 4. We needed help fast and that's why the call was made. Our Officers were told to give your members breathing room, I know myself overlooked 30 violations on Thursday alone. Remember if an Officer makes an arrest he will be out for over an hour, now make that 2 or 3 well you get the picture. The Officer on the 4 quad (a present from a local business) by Friday night had worked 14 hours had to drive 30 miles home to sleep for 5 hours to come back for another 16. I enjoyed talking and waving at a great bunch of folks, the GSP said they really enjoyed it. I have not spoken with Matt or Chris since the event (its ok guys you can call). As it stands now, it will be up to SoWo if you return, I cant speak for the City Commissioners, but I think they are willing. Now there will be changes and they will be discussed. It is my hope more dumpster will be put out. Upon speaking with the GSP Supervisor and some Commissioners, we would like to set up a burn out area or 2 and charge a small fee, this would be a secure location (crowd control). Also establish some type of paid sticker to allow you to drive on Edelwiess, controlled by your staff. Staff members working / riding with us for control. As for the Church video, Mr. "H" we know who you are and where you live, nice DL photo too. Our staff are willing to again work with you in 14. Thank you for your support.

See less See more
#28 ·
Wow, I'm rather speechless, never in a million years would I expect the police department to create an account and respond, but to respond with such a positive attitude is just a dream come true.

I would like to thank the PD for being so lenient, nice and well, i guess you can say, understanding.

Ocean city, take note of this!!!

#30 ·
Thanks for your patience and hard work! !

I haven't posted on this site for a long time... but this more than deserves mine and many others' thanks.

Although I am part of the NC H20 Tuning, I am speaking mostly for myself.

I attended last year, but didn't get the chance to help out much, due to the fact that my wife was in military training, and it was a last minute idea to drive almost 6 hours with my two boys 7 and 4 at that time. We had the time of our lives, remembering and reminiscing our years living in Germany. It was a blast and I had no idea a town like this even could exist around these parts. I was in love with the town, people, food, beer, just EVERYTHING! I promised my wife we would go back this year, and we did!

We had an awesome stay at a cabin not too far north of Helen, got there Wednesday and left Sunday. This time, we both helped out with the rest of our crew and I personally had the chance to meet alot more locals and I can say honestly that if I had a choice, we would never leave Helen. It has everything to offer that we want. So, I want to personally thank the entire Helen Police Department, the supporting Police Force and also all the local store owners, business and citizens, and a special thanks to the owners and staff of the indoor go-carts!!!... You all deserve alot for putting up with 3 crazy days of outsiders tearing up your city! Although most of us that attend, do truly respect your efforts, like everyone else knows, there is always a few that cross the lines.

PS: Thx for letting us replace the clutch on the side of the main "strip" and sorry about the mess!! (I was the mechanic with the VW tech shirt)

Hope to see you all next year!!!!

Thank you all again and we love you all!! (this is his wife ;) )

Adrian

#33 ·
Thanks HPD and GSP

You guys rock! Thanks for all of your hard work. It was a great show, and I will certainly be back next year. Highlight of the show... Officer that stopped the 370Z had the best comment ever that drew a round of applause. "I thought this was a VW show!" I loved it. From what I witnessed, there were more non-VW violators among the crowd.

#37 ·
FV-QR

This was my first time in Helen and the first person I spoke to upon my arrival to your fine city was a HPD officer. We met several times over the course of the weekend and every time we had a great time talking cars...

All the officers were great, heck we even had one ask us if he could sign the Scirocco at the gas station. My dumb ass forgot to take a picture, as it would have been awesome.

My recommendation for next year is to charge a small fee to attend the show and use this money towards more security to help HPD so they don't have to shoulder the burden. More trash containers around the town would be a benefit as well.

#44 ·
That's about as cool as you could ever ask any PD to be X10. Props to HPD for keeping their cool when some of the show goers were not. A little self policing volunteers might go a long way towards keeping the stress off the PD, a way to punt the worst offenders from the show areas possibly might get some people to slow their roll if they knew the show was over for them.

#45 ·
First time at SOWO and I brought my four year old. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone (police and no) for making it a great experience, as well as one I felt comfortable sharing with my daughter :) I never once worried about her safety, or ours, and never felt like things were "out of control" like all the horror stories I've heard about other shows. I'm glad they understand and that one or two stupid idiots aren't going to ruin it for us all! Thanks again!

#50 ·
thank you so much for taking the time to get in touch with us. you guys are awesome. i think a toll on the strip is a great idea, it would keep the trolls/JDM/******** from causing trouble. nearly every single incident and burnout i witnessed was caused by a non-german car. i love this show and im glad every effort was and is being made to help it continue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.