Here is a quick walkthrough on how to update your MDI interface to the most recent firmware revision. The procedure is really easy and straight forward. But now here is the legal mumbo jumbo:
I am not responsible for any damages to your car or computer due to computer viruses, acts of god, electrical shorts, etc.
Now onto the good stuff...
This update helps alleviate the following issues when using the AUX input for devices such as an IPOD.
During the 3 years ive owned this car my IPOD interface was not the most reliable. Occasionally the MDI interface would disconnect my ipod and I would have to unplug it two to three times to get it to re-connect. Then more often than not it would not display the correct song playing, it would display the name of the song that was playing previously. I finally got fed up with dealing with these issues and ordered a MDI to USB cable from keffervw.
You will need the following parts:
1. MDI to female USB adaptor
vw part # 000 051 446 B
2. USB drive formatted as FAT32
1. go to the following website:
These are the following updates for the MDI interface released by VW
1. This was released during week 33 of 2009 Firmware rev. 090. If you have an early 2010 GTI you will have this at the start so continue on to the next updates
2. This was released during week 22 of 2010 Firmware rev. 111.
3. This was released during week 22 of 2011 firmware rev. 150
4. This was released during week 22 of 2011 firmware rev. 240
5. This was released during week 22 of 2012 firmware rev. 530
THIS WILL NOT WORK ON YOUR MDI IF YOUR CAR WAS MADE BEFORE week 22 of 2012 so this link is more of a placeholder than an actual download link.
Now onto the install:
1. Make sure your USB drive is formatted as FAT16 or FAT32. If it is not you will have to use your windows based PC to format it. Typically all 4-8GB USB drives are formatted as FAT32 so you might not have to format it.
NOTE: if your laptop/PC only has the options of formatting in NTFS or exFAT then you will need to download a FAT32 formatter
I used the following link for a home version of a formatter:
2. Once the USB drive is formatted you will have to download the updates. Since my car is a 2010, built in 11/2009 I had the lowest firmware available so I started with firmware rev. 111. I downloaded from the links i posted above and downloaded it to the USB drive. Once its downloaded you will need to change the file name from mdi.bin.kwxx-20xx.enc to mdi.bin.enc, you might not see the .enc at the end of the file, this is fine, just make sure the mdi.bin name is shown.
NOTE: DO NOT TRY TO OPEN THIS FILE, IT WILL CORRUPT IT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-DOWNLOAD.
3. Once the file has been renamed, unplug the USB from the computer.
4. Install the USB to MDI adaptor to your MDI interface under your arm rest. If you have the IPOD adaptor already installed then remove it.
5. Turn your car to accessory mode and turn on your head unit.
6. Plug in the USB cable and turn the head unit to AUX mode
7. After about 5 seconds you will see the display change to "Software update"
8. After a minute you will see the display change to "Update complete"
9. Remove the USB drive from the cable and re-install to the computer
10. Delete the file and move onto the next firmware revision.
I did updates 2 & 3 to my MDI. Update 4 was not able to be downloaded. However when I checked my firmware it showed as firmware rev. 240. So whatever it did it seemed to update it to the newest firmware.
The MDI interface was much faster than the original firmware
Song changes were working properly with no hickups as of yet.
Any questions feel free to PM me