Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad window tint experience

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-17-2013 04:41 PM #1
      Okay so two weeks ago I had all the windows on my two-door GTI tinted. The place I went to works with the BBB and has really good reviews. I thought everything with the tint looked great until a couple days later when I noticed that the corner of the rear driver side window wasn't sticking and that there were about 20+ dust/hair spots on the back window. I figured I would give it a couple more days. So after six days I felt comfortable enough to put the windows down and when I did the top of the driver side ripped in two spots. Also, the corner of the rear still wasn't sticking. This made me decide to take a closer look at the rest of it. I noticed that on the inside of the back was peeling and there was a bunch of hairs real close together in the front passenger window. I called the shop to ask about everything and the guy immediately gave me attitude. Insisting that the only way it would have ripped is from me putting it down before the three days they said to wait. He basically didn't believe anything I said. So I took it back for him to look at it. He tried telling me that it wouldn't stick to the dot matrix on the back windows, which I already understood, but he ignored that it was completely bubbling up underneath. He agreed to replace both fronts but I had to ask/try to explain four times before he agreed to do the driver side rear too. When I asked about the back window and all the dust marks he simply said "I won't redo this one because of dust. It's too hard to do." I let it go and took my car back to have the front two and one back redone. On my way home from picking it up I noticed the rubber window seal was sticking out ON BOTH SIDES. I turned around and took it right back. The guy didn't take it seriously at all. So he put the windows down and fixed the seals..but you're not supposed to put them down for three days right? Now, three days later, and there is a big quarter-sized bubble at the bottom of the passenger window, and a group of about (no joke) 100 pieces of dust in the corner of the driver side window. Also, a couple of the dust spots in the back window have increased in size. Not to mention that there are scratch marks all over the outside of the back windows. I know they put the tint on and cut it to size like that, but a couple of these scratches are DEEP and you can feel them. I do not want to take it back to this place to have them redone a third time, just to be messed up again. Has anyone ever heard of "returning" tint? I don't want to go back to this shop ever again, and now after all of this I'm thinking about just sticking with the fishbowl look. One last thing...what can I do about these deep scratches in the glass? Sorry for the long post. Just had to get all the details out there.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      06-17-2013 05:11 PM #2
      that sucks. i guess your only option is to talk to the owner and ask for money back if not take him to small claims and sue him for the damages (if he in fact did ruin the window)

it honestly sounds like this guy doesnt know what the **** he's doing. my tint shop always tells me the rear hatch is difficult to do but they managed with no problem. ive had to go back once on my old car because of a bubble that wouldnt go away and he fixed it immediately.

good luck. find another good reputable tint shop in your area

Vehicles
      '20 Volvo V60 T5 R-Design Polestar
      06-17-2013 05:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      that sucks. i guess your only option is to talk to the owner and ask for money back if not take him to small claims and sue him for the damages (if he in fact did ruin the window)

it honestly sounds like this guy doesnt know what the **** he's doing. my tint shop always tells me the rear hatch is difficult to do but they managed with no problem. ive had to go back once on my old car because of a bubble that wouldnt go away and he fixed it immediately.

good luck. find another good reputable tint shop in your area

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-17-2013 06:16 PM #4
      I plan on going back tomorrow to talk to him about it. Hopefully he can be reasonable, but the outside of both back windows are pretty badly scratched. A couple of them even catch your fingernail if you rub over it.

7. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-17-2013 06:27 PM #5
      pics of damage?

Vehicles
      18 Golf R Manual / Sold -13 GTI Autobahn / 08 R32 / 07 Passat Manual / 03 Jetta GLS 1.8t Manual
      06-17-2013 07:40 PM #6
      PM me the name of the place so I know where NOT to go if you don't want to post it. I am in the process of getting my 2013 GTI tinted and I live in the Burgh...

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-17-2013 07:52 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by spal24 View Post
      PM me the name of the place so I know where NOT to go if you don't want to post it. I am in the process of getting my 2013 GTI tinted and I live in the Burgh...
      I say post it up because shops like this need to be blacklisted
      Garden State Euros Northern New Jersey Tri-State European Car Club
      Current: 2010 vw GTI
      mods: APR carbonio stage 1&2 intake, APR K04 flash, AWE turbo outlet pipe, B&B DP, Magnaflow catback, Diesel Geek shifter, APR 27mm Rear Sway bar, autotech dogbone insert,BSH recirc. catch can, Southbend Stage 3 clutch disk, K04!!

10. Junior Member
      06-17-2013 09:15 PM #8
      Go there and ask to see his car, look at his tints and if they look good ask why yours are crappy. Then go into your car get the bat out and break his windows.

11. Member
      06-17-2013 10:10 PM #9
      If they're with BBB then call BBB? I wouldn't let them do any work on the car ever again, but put in a complaint at least.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-17-2013 10:51 PM #10
      The place is called Auto Addictions.

13. 06-18-2013 01:10 AM #11
      Being an experienced window tint installer (located in NC) this is unfortunate to hear and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. GTI rear windows are incredibly hard to do, but absolutely not impossible!

A few suggestions:
      1. Attempt reasoning with the owner and if that doesn't work drop a few hints about poor reviews, BBB complaints and small claims court.

2. If you paid with your credit card, call the company and have them revoke the charge. The company may fight you but as long as you have reason it shouldn't be a problem. Take your car to an automotive glass company and get an estimate for replacement glass. After that take it to a DIFFERENT window tint company (preferably one with the same product type) and get thorough documentation that the film is poorly installed and the windows are damaged likely by the film installer. At least you'll get your money back.

3. Sometimes scratched glass can be repaired. General rule of thumb is if the scratches are within one inch of the edge of the glass or black border (on the rear window) you're good to go.

I hope this helps!

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Evo MR
      06-18-2013 10:36 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegtis1 View Post
      Go there and ask to see his car, look at his tints and if they look good ask why yours are crappy. Then go into your car get the bat out and break his windows.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      06-18-2013 11:05 AM #13
      This would be my advice. Most likely, you will not get your money back without a fight just by the struggle this guy has already put up. If you paid by credit card, that will make the fight easier. If you did not, BBB will act as a middle man in the resolution. Make sure you have plenty of pictures and keep insisting that you get your money back for the lack of quality for the job done. Don't let them try to blame it on you for "not listening to them" when that is something that cannot be proved by them. For example, they did not put a tape on the windows that would tear if the window had been moved. If you are concerned about the window, make sure you bring that up as well (this will definitely not get paid for without at least the BBB but most likely small claims court).

I had to deal with the BBB, you need to be persistent because the BBB will not fight to get your money back. Literally, they just forward your complaint to the company, waits for a response and forwards the response to you and asks if the issue has been resolved. If not, you respond back and forth and so on. I had to go back and forth 4 times over a $25 charge a bank put on my account that never should have been put on there. I finally got what I wanted because I did not give up.

For the future, the BBB is really kind of a joke in a sense because if a business doesn't like their rating because of complaints they can just revoke their association with the BBB, so its typically best not to shop around with on a BBB grade factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by TintedAtmospheres View Post
      Being an experienced window tint installer (located in NC) this is unfortunate to hear and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. GTI rear windows are incredibly hard to do, but absolutely not impossible!

A few suggestions:
      1. Attempt reasoning with the owner and if that doesn't work drop a few hints about poor reviews, BBB complaints and small claims court.

2. If you paid with your credit card, call the company and have them revoke the charge. The company may fight you but as long as you have reason it shouldn't be a problem. Take your car to an automotive glass company and get an estimate for replacement glass. After that take it to a DIFFERENT window tint company (preferably one with the same product type) and get thorough documentation that the film is poorly installed and the windows are damaged likely by the film installer. At least you'll get your money back.

3. Sometimes scratched glass can be repaired. General rule of thumb is if the scratches are within one inch of the edge of the glass or black border (on the rear window) you're good to go.

I hope this helps!

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      06-18-2013 01:44 PM #14
      I live right up behind this place in Baldwin and these guys are a bunch of cocks. They over charge and use ****ty tint. I would never take my car to them to do the simplest of tasks. It's a bunch of young guys who think they know everything there is to know about cars.
      APR Tuned Stage 2 | Carbonio Stage 1 | Billy Boat 3" Turboback Exhaust | Red Interior Lighting | Lamin-X Yellow Fogs | Lamin-X Blue Headlights | New South Boost Gauge | Koni Yellow Suspenion | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | TSW Nurburgring Wheels

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-18-2013 02:31 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Shuino View Post
      I live right up behind this place in Baldwin and these guys are a bunch of cocks. They over charge and use ****ty tint. I would never take my car to them to do the simplest of tasks. It's a bunch of young guys who think they know everything there is to know about cars.
      Glad I'm not alone here. I'm going to be stopping by today to talk to the owner. We'll see what happens.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-18-2013 07:14 PM #16
      Update:

So I just left the shop and talked to the shop owner, Mark. I went up to the counter and told him that I wanted a refund for the windows because they had already been screwed up twice and I didn't trust them to do them a third time. He of course said that they don't offer refunds and that it's stated on the receipt. I told him that you have to inform the customer BEFORE they purchase the item that it can't be returned, not after. You can't give them the item, take their money, and then tell them it can't be returned. After hearing this he agreed to give me a 75% refund. I told him that wasn't good enough and I was going to get the full refund. Next I brought up the scratches on the windows and we went out to look at them. Upon seeing all the scratches he agreed to giving me a full refund. Then I asked about him paying to have them repaired/replaced and he immediately said no. He even tried the ol' "this is a used car so they could have been there" trick. After I pointed out that the scratches outlined where the tint was you could tell he knew that his shop was at fault. Yet he still refused to pay for repairs or replacements. So that's when I dropped the "small claims court" line. His response was "if you're going to threaten me with small claims court, I won't even refund your money." We then went on to argue back and forth about how if his shop is responsible then they should have to pay. He then told me to get an estimate on having the glass repaired/replaced and call him. He said that he would turn it into his shop insurance AND refund me the price of the tint. So basically it went from him saying "we don't give refunds" to "get an estimate and we'll refund you". Now I'm just worried what they're gonna do with my car for the two hours I have to leave it there.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      06-18-2013 10:24 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by carbonsteelsix View Post
      Update:

So I just left the shop and talked to the shop owner, Mark. I went up to the counter and told him that I wanted a refund for the windows because they had already been screwed up twice and I didn't trust them to do them a third time. He of course said that they don't offer refunds and that it's stated on the receipt. I told him that you have to inform the customer BEFORE they purchase the item that it can't be returned, not after. You can't give them the item, take their money, and then tell them it can't be returned. After hearing this he agreed to give me a 75% refund. I told him that wasn't good enough and I was going to get the full refund. Next I brought up the scratches on the windows and we went out to look at them. Upon seeing all the scratches he agreed to giving me a full refund. Then I asked about him paying to have them repaired/replaced and he immediately said no. He even tried the ol' "this is a used car so they could have been there" trick. After I pointed out that the scratches outlined where the tint was you could tell he knew that his shop was at fault. Yet he still refused to pay for repairs or replacements. So that's when I dropped the "small claims court" line. His response was "if you're going to threaten me with small claims court, I won't even refund your money." We then went on to argue back and forth about how if his shop is responsible then they should have to pay. He then told me to get an estimate on having the glass repaired/replaced and call him. He said that he would turn it into his shop insurance AND refund me the price of the tint. So basically it went from him saying "we don't give refunds" to "get an estimate and we'll refund you". Now I'm just worried what they're gonna do with my car for the two hours I have to leave it there.
      Yeah I don't think it would be a great idea to leave the car alone, man up and stay the two hours to watch over your ride.
      APR Tuned Stage 2 | Carbonio Stage 1 | Billy Boat 3" Turboback Exhaust | Red Interior Lighting | Lamin-X Yellow Fogs | Lamin-X Blue Headlights | New South Boost Gauge | Koni Yellow Suspenion | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | TSW Nurburgring Wheels

Vehicles
      '12 Jetta SEL; '14 328D xDrive
      06-19-2013 08:26 AM #18
      ^ That.

You did well to get this guy to come around from "Nothing" to "Refund and repair costs" so stay strong and stay with your car...
      -Jason
      2014 BMW 328D xDrive

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-20-2013 02:01 PM #19
      Update:

I went to an auto glass place yesterday for an estimate and he said they were too badly scratched to be repaired. Turns out that OE glass is about $30 cheaper per piece than aftermarket so I went to my local dealership to see about ordering the pieces in. Then I gave Mark a call to give him the price and see what he wanted to do. He was being very calm and kept apologizing for the bad tint job and the scratches. He called the VW dealer himself and paid for the glass over the phone with his card. I have an appointment to get the tint removed tomorrow and to get my money back. Then when I take the car to have the glass put in he's going to pay for that too. Just thankful that it ended up this way rather than in court.

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-20-2013 08:59 PM #20
      Awesome man. Glad it worked out

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-27-2013 04:35 PM #21
      Maybe I just have bad luck...

I had the windows installed today while I was at work. The person doing the installation is contracted by my local VW dealer, as well as other dealers in the area. So I had assumed since VW sent me to this company there wouldn't be any problems. I was wrong. They came here to do it in the parking lot. I went out on my break to check the progress and one window was done so far. I went up to look closer and immediately noticed that he had cut into the plastic trim piece on the inside with the window remover tool. He admitted to doing it and said that his boss would take care of it. THEN I took another look and saw what I thought was the sealant leaking out on the inside, but it wasn't. It was just the white cotton sticking out of the black headliner. He ripped through that as well on the same side. On top of those two things, there is also a gap along the whole bottom of the window while the other window sits flush. However, the sealant was already too dry to move the window down. So I'll most likely have to have that taken off again and replaced...again. He was being very cool about it at first and said they would take care of it, but by the time he left you could tell he was mad. I guess he was hoping I wouldn't notice. Needless to say, I stayed out there for the whole second window removal/installation. I spoke directly with his boss who kept saying things like "I know a guy who could fix that no problem, you won't even know it happened" and was getting very defensive when I mentioned taking it to the dealership to have it repaired/replaced. The owner is coming to look at the car tomorrow and talk about what we want to do. However, I will only agree to doing work through VW. I'm not letting him take my car to one of "his guys" so they can sharpie over the cotton and pretend like it isn't ripped.

24. Member
      06-27-2013 04:39 PM #22
      That's insane. It's not that hard to do things right.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-27-2013 04:51 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
      That's insane. It's not that hard to do things right.
      I'm just tired of everyone rushing to get everything done. He sure took his time with the other window when I was watching. Not a single problem with that one. Which really makes me think he was just trying to fly through the first one.

Vehicles
      '91 240sx, '02 Civic Si, '07 Civic Si, '15 GTI
      06-27-2013 04:56 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by carbonsteelsix View Post
      Maybe I just have bad luck...

I had the windows installed today while I was at work. The person doing the installation is contracted by my local VW dealer, as well as other dealers in the area. So I had assumed since VW sent me to this company there wouldn't be any problems. I was wrong. They came here to do it in the parking lot. I went out on my break to check the progress and one window was done so far. I went up to look closer and immediately noticed that he had cut into the plastic trim piece on the inside with the window remover tool. He admitted to doing it and said that his boss would take care of it. THEN I took another look and saw what I thought was the sealant leaking out on the inside, but it wasn't. It was just the white cotton sticking out of the black headliner. He ripped through that as well on the same side. On top of those two things, there is also a gap along the whole bottom of the window while the other window sits flush. However, the sealant was already too dry to move the window down. So I'll most likely have to have that taken off again and replaced...again. He was being very cool about it at first and said they would take care of it, but by the time he left you could tell he was mad. I guess he was hoping I wouldn't notice. Needless to say, I stayed out there for the whole second window removal/installation. I spoke directly with his boss who kept saying things like "I know a guy who could fix that no problem, you won't even know it happened" and was getting very defensive when I mentioned taking it to the dealership to have it repaired/replaced. The owner is coming to look at the car tomorrow and talk about what we want to do. However, I will only agree to doing work through VW. I'm not letting him take my car to one of "his guys" so they can sharpie over the cotton and pretend like it isn't ripped.
      Damn man, sorry to hear about all this headache. Good luck!

27. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-27-2013 05:24 PM #25
      jesus man is everyone just incapable in pittsburgh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast