Last edited by rich!; 11-25-2019 at 03:13 PM.
When we rebuilt our house 26 years ago I opted for radiant heat throughout the house. Where we have concrete or gypcrete we have PEX tubing embedded. Where we have wood floors we have radiant heat that looks like actual baseboard. Both are low-temperature systems. All of our heat and all of our domestic hot water are supplied by 2 Heatmaker 100,000 btu boilers operated by a Tekmar controller with an outdoor sensor. As demand is sensed the controller brings on the boiler to satisfy demand. If demand is met the boiler shuts down. If there's another demand the controller will bring on the other boiler, lowering wear and tear. Each boiler has a 20-gallon storage tank that's kept at 180°. In that storage tank is a water to water heat exchanger that provides domestic hot water. Both heat exchangers are piped in series using one boiler as a preheater for the 3/4" diameter feeds for the rest of the house. They provide endless scalding water, if you want it.
The house has 7 thermostats controlling 3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen and 2 zones in the walkout. I had the system engineered and I had experienced supervision, but I did this myself and never labeled any of it. The thermostats control electrically-operated water valves that flood the piping when the valves open. My wife noticed the shower temp was wimpy, so I investigated.
That's the heat exchanger drum on top. Water is pumped into the tank while heating. Seasonally, I would tap on the pump to get it going, but that wasn't working anymore. I keep spare part of just about every component so I was able to swap out the pump cartridge with one I had in stock. That made the boiler work, but intermittently. I replaced the water pressure switch as it was leaking, but that didn't help. The boiler would go all the way to gas ignition and shut down, restarting the cycle. Occasionally it would complete the cycle and we'd get heat. I got another shower complaint this morning and found the igniter had a hairline crack. I replaced that and it came on and ran. Fortunately, I kept my eye on the temperature gauge and the temperature climbed past the set point and neared 200° before I shut it down. I then figured out, by process of elimination, that the contacts in the thermostat were fused shut causing the unit to shut off on high limit using the safety device like a thermostat.
I had all the parts in stock.
While I was in the walk-out I changed the water in the hot-tub. The boilers used to heat the hot tub but we traded endless hot water for heating the tub electrically. It's expensive to keep it hot all the time, but these old bones get relief often twice a day.
Update on my plate-warming system. I added a second gun case heater to the shelf above. I keep it at about 85°. Our dish cabinet is on an outside wall. I used to bake dishes to warm them.
Replaced the faux-modern craftsman dining table fixture with a faux-farmhouse orb fixture. Now I need to install a dimmer for that light.
Decorated for Christmas. That's about 8 plastic bins worth of stuff. And yes, even 5 of the 8 light strands failed miraculously over the past year of sitting in a box.
Haven't touched the outside yet except for a Oh Holy Night placard (?) on the porch.
"Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
@mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
Finally completed the sale of my first home, bought in 2004.
Second house was a rental bought in 2007. Sold that rental June 2018.
Then bought house #3 July 2018, since I can't seem to ever own just one house at a time.
From July 2018 to October 2019 was performing some stupidly annoying and expensive projects on the house, and now its gone.
First time with one house in the 'stable' since June 2007, bit of an odd feeling.
Mr. Money Mustache
This summer I dug a trench to the shed and threw in a direct bury 10/3.
A month back or so I got a little sub panel, wired that up, dropped in a pair of double breakers and an outlet.
I finally got a keyless fixture, wire cage, and an LED bulb wired up to a motion sensor so the lights come on as soon as you open the door.
Shed has light now.