VWVortex.com - What did you do to your house today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687 LastLast
    Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2153

Thread: What did you do to your house today?

1. Senior Member
      06-10-2019 12:09 PM #2126
      Another weekend of yard work...

the pit (she will be a theme to our projects) was eating/digging in all the potted veggies the GF planted around the yard so we decided we needed to fence the garden. Proved to be useful already as when we spread more of our decomposing grass clippings on the damn dog was obsessed and trying to eat it..

Other problem area was this little planted section near the back door, it is shaded most of the day so stays cool, she digs a hole in it, flinging the dirt all over the sidewalk which tracks dirt into the house. So GF used some of the spare bricks we have along with random rocks from the yard and made a rock garden. Planted mint, which I guess repels bugs from near the door? and some flowers.

Since we were on yard clean up mode decided that instead of a giant pile of bricks waiting for us to redo a path from the front gate to the patio that doesn't exist yet we might as well make it so the trash/recycling can area was nicer looking and now I don't have to move everything to mow around them. came out nicer than we expected and took like 20 minutes.

Then just lots of general yard clean up, moved all our misc scrap wood from projects either onto the burn pile we had going all weekend or organized for some misc projects like a second dog house, broke up all the random concrete we have found around the yard and dropped it into the abandoned cistern which will get collapsed/back filled eventually and gathered all the random rocks around the yard. got all the scrap metal ready for cutting down to fit in the borrowed truck to bring to scrap this week too. Found this sweet knife/saw thing and this is also a collection of bottles we found in the past 2 weeks. Since we have moved in found about double that and also probably about 20x that in broken glass

Once last section of misc scrap wood, metal, some pvc we should have returned etc to clean up and our yard will no longer look like a construction site!
      Last edited by chris86vw; 06-10-2019 at 12:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-10-2019 12:16 PM #2127
      Hope you like mint! It’s like bamboo-it takes over anywhere its planted.

There was an underground cistern? Are you/were you on a well? Could it be repurposed to filter water coming off the roof?

4. Senior Member
      06-10-2019 12:48 PM #2128
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Hope you like mint! It’s like bamboo-it takes over anywhere its planted.

There was an underground cistern? Are you/were you on a well? Could it be repurposed to filter water coming off the roof?
      We had mint there before and it actually barely grew, but did start to come up this year until the dog decided this was her outside bed. We do use it in cooking though so not an issue if we get a lot.

The house is ~200 years old. There was a record when the property was split into two lots (it is one again) in the late 1890s that some sort of water source existed one on one of the two lots and that rights remained for both properties. It wasn't clear if they meant this cistern or if they meant some other sort of well.

If you look in the rock garden pick right below the gutter you can see a clay pipe. That at one point fed into the cistern, it was not connected and pretty solidly clogged by the time we bought the house. The gutters on the opposite side (where propane tanks are) still feeds into it though. I check the water level after heavy rains and even with the flooding in the yard that we get has never been an issue. So as of right now removing some volume with the scrap concrete has not been a problem.

There is actually still a "former" cesspool or septic tank we also need to deal with. I say former because for some reason the bathroom is on city sewer but the kitchen sink/washing machine still go to this.

The cistern sits only a few feet from the current back of the house. We plan to tear down the entire rear section which seems to be the original kitchen so that is disappointing. However it was not kept up, and never really meant to hold the weight of modern drywall, siding, appliances etc. So between weight and age it is coming down on its own. Slowly enough we can live with it/use it for now but there is no saving it. I hit my head on one of the floor joists while in the crawl space(creepiest place I have ever been in my life) and it crumbled so badly I was afraid to walk in that part of the kitchen for a few days.. So the cistern will be in the way when that comes down and gets rebuilt extending back another 2-3ft plus that is where the patio is.

Hopefully though we can save as much as the brick as we can and use it in the yard in some way.

Cistern top:

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-10-2019 01:16 PM #2129
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Slowly enough we can live with it/use it for now but there is no saving it. I hit my head on one of the floor joists while in the crawl space(creepiest place I have ever been in my life) and it crumbled so badly I was afraid to walk in that part of the kitchen for a few days.. So the cistern will be in the way when that comes down and gets rebuilt extending back another 2-3ft plus that is where the patio is.
      Ack. That's terrifying. our house is only 89 years old, but we didn't run into anything like that during our renovation/addition process, fortunately. We did have to yard out the old oil tank and remediate two dump truck loads of contaminated soil, though. Hopefully removing the cistern proves easier.

6. Senior Member
      06-10-2019 01:46 PM #2130
      Ack. That's terrifying. our house is only 89 years old, but we didn't run into anything like that during our renovation/addition process, fortunately. We did have to yard out the old oil tank and remediate two dump truck loads of contaminated soil, though. Hopefully removing the cistern proves easier.
      Yeah it kind of sucks, I mean the kitchen is useless, as is the room above it, and so is the tiny back room, probably from the 1950s based on style of work (bricks you can see behind cistern). The original kitchen area is on a rubble foundation that appears to never really had any real mortar. Definitely was dug out later to make a crawl space when electric and water was added which didn't help support it. Then the original walls were just a single row of brick. At some point siding got added, then someone studded out walls on the inside sheet rocked, added the room over it by enclosing it. Combine that with 200 year old inches off the ground joists on like 24 on center.. So in that sense we are glad it will go, from historical stand point it isn't something we want to do.

Our oil tank was in the basement so that was an easy clean up/removal when we switched to propane. Some staining on the concrete floor but that is it, and half that was probably me removing it and spilling stuff.

My first house in NJ though had an in ground tank. Actually had been converted to NG before my parents even bought it in the early 80s and had no clue at the time there was a buried tank. Sometime in the early 90s we tore down a bunch of bushes along the house and were like WTF is this... When my parents sold it to me in 2001 we both just pretended it wasn't there and agreed if it was a problem down the road they'd help cover cost. I sold it in 2009? and of course it came up, had to be removed, cost a few grand but luckily no remediation was needed.

I can't imagine we'd have any issues with the cistern here, but will need to look into that. The only permit we'll need to pull for the addition will be tearing down the old part of the house, nothing will be required for any of the building.. So unlikely this will even come up.

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      06-11-2019 04:33 PM #2131
      We had a powerful storm come thru Sunday night.
      We woke up to a couple of pieces of the perimeter fence being blown down in the backyard.
      I was able to put those pieces back in place after picking up a 5lb box of 3 in wood screws.

Last edited by Sizzla; 06-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.

06-11-2019 06:23 PM #2132
      We call these "fire bushes" which may not be the proper name. The 6 in front of our house are 20 years old and have been cut back drastically every two years. The 6 bushes across the street were planted at the same time, but never trimmed. It's a beautiful MCM house, but you can't see it.

We've had plant growth this year like I've never seen before. I'm tired of the tree puke.

9. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-11-2019 10:48 PM #2133
      In the process of moving, painting, getting appliances delivered, installing fans, and trying to have time to relax. All while starting a new job where I am apparently starting my own department on my own as the company is currently taking over another companies clients.
      At least my wife is finally off for the summer. Hopefully that leads to less stress.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      06-12-2019 12:17 PM #2134
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      We call these "fire bushes" which may not be the proper name.
      I doubt redheads like that term.

Sorry.

Called technician to fix our AC as of course it craps out on the hottest day of the year

11. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      06-12-2019 01:21 PM #2135
      We call these "fire bushes" which may not be the proper name. The 6 in front of our house are 20 years old and have been cut back drastically every two years. The 6 bushes across the street were planted at the same time, but never trimmed. It's a beautiful MCM house, but you can't see it.

We've had plant growth this year like I've never seen before. I'm tired of the tree puke.

the leaves turn red in late summer, yes? small red berries in the spring? We have one of those. I'm about to cut that s**t down. I'm pushing for a low maintenance yard.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      06-12-2019 02:14 PM #2136
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      the leaves turn red in late summer, yes? small red berries in the spring? We have one of those. I'm about to cut that s**t down. I'm pushing for a low maintenance yard.
      Eat the berries.

Vehicles
      88 Audi 90 2.0 20V HX35, 94 Audi 90 V8, 78 GMC High Sierra, 03 TDI and some bicycles
      06-13-2019 08:39 AM #2137
      In addition to replacing all the water lines in the house (thanks Dad), we remodeled our single bathroom in about 15 days. It was rough. Most of this stuff I never had done before!

Still have to put a few finishing touches on it and fix a few small paint spots but overall it came out great!
      Last edited by lorge1989; 06-13-2019 at 08:42 AM.

06-13-2019 09:37 AM #2138
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      No berries and no flowers. The proper name might be "Burning Bush" as they turn a brilliant red in Fall.
      Last edited by barry2952; 06-13-2019 at 10:43 AM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      06-13-2019 10:33 AM #2139
      No berries and no flowers. The proper name might be "Singing Bush" as they turn a brilliant red if Fall.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

16. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      06-13-2019 11:47 AM #2140
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Eat the berries.
      I leave them for the transient wildlife that sneaks into our yard.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      06-14-2019 09:10 AM #2141
      No berries and no flowers. The proper name might be "Burning Bush" as they turn a brilliant red in Fall.
      ...and many varieties are considered invasive. Here in MA, only certain types can be sold.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      06-16-2019 10:07 AM #2142
      Yesterday, weed whacked. Then ended up going to Lowe’s to get grass seed and also decided to replace some of the plants we don’t like.

Who needs a truck? Also, thanks Lowe’s for providing free plastic sheets so I could line the trunk.

The bright pink flowers are going into window sill boxes on the porch. We bought 2 at Lowe’s but had to return them because our railings were too think. Gotta check Amazon now.
      iain

19. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-16-2019 11:39 AM #2143
      Looking good! And this is what I had to do when I unexpectedly bought more than I had planned at Home Depot yesterday and belatedly realized my hatch was 100% full of stuff for Goodwill....

Result:

Also did a bunch of trimming out front.

Vehicles
      06-16-2019 01:02 PM #2144
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      You know you have the splash block backwards.....

06-16-2019 01:48 PM #2145

Also did a bunch of trimming out front.

I love the way your entryway looks with that plant afro.

06-16-2019 02:32 PM #2146
      Crop circles. We've had so much rain in SE Michigan. I've never seen so may leaves on the trees.

23. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-16-2019 03:59 PM #2147
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I love the way your entryway looks with that plant afro.

It’s star jasmine. Quite vigorous there with all the heat it gets + is really fragrant when in bloom.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      06-17-2019 11:05 AM #2148
      Worked on the tiny house. Made 2 table/bar things and used the last of the cedar shakes.

Last edited by Gitcha Sum; 06-17-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      06-17-2019 04:44 PM #2149
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      You know you have the splash block backwards.....
      Yup.
      iain

Vehicles
      06-18-2019 08:11 AM #2150
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Yup.
      K, Y?

Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687 LastLast