VWVortex.com - The Offikial Random Observations and CSB Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8924 of 9028 FirstFirst ... 79248424882488748914892089218922892389248925892689278928893489749024 ... LastLast
    Results 223,076 to 223,100 of 225678

Thread: The Offikial Random Observations and CSB Thread

Vehicles
      B7 TDI
      09-19-2020 07:32 PM #223076
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      I just finished putting tile on a backsplash....so I'll have to settle for night drinking.
      Got a foto of said splash? We're considering SS and looking for ideas on how extensively folks are covering. I.e., just sink, just stove, the whole kitchen...
      Gone and missed: '03 Mk4 1.8T 5M GL wagon, '01 B5 V6 GLX wagon, '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      09-19-2020 07:38 PM #223077
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      09-19-2020 07:46 PM #223078
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Cleaning the mold infestation I found in the rear room windows. Christ this install was ****.
      So my post above was roughly halfway through the process, it appears.

I have spent the last eight hours dismounting the huge single-pane sliding windows from the frames, including unbolting and dismounting the stationaries, and scrubbing them as thoroughly as I can. They're full of bends and creases, so I know I didn't get everything, and the cleaner I was using also stripped paint, so 4/5s of the frames are bare aluminum again. It looks like ass.

The *******s even left one of them out-of-square when they installed it, so there is a big-ass air gap at the top of the window. An applique rubber seal was stuffed into the window frame to "fix" it.

No f-in wonder the POs left the sliding glass door inside the house, and why that room got cold as f in the winter.

Punching out the back of the garage and extending it to meet the back of the house was already in the plans. Now I am adding "strip the back room to studs and fix it" to the list. I will probably do both of these at the same time; I need to start stripping away the "foundation" cladding, which under the porches is just bone-standard f-ing osb jammed into the dirt. It's probably the same out by the HVAC, just with a pretty veneer of siding on it.

I ****ing hate people that can't be assed to do a job properly.

Rip that **** out, dismantle the porch behind the garage (the decking is almost brand new and good stuff, I'll save it), strip the skirt walls from around the extension, and see what I'm working with down there.

I want to do a proper concrete footing and a block curtain wall, with some brick veneer to match the rest of the house. Stop the veneer at the level of the current deck, about 10" below the current deck height.
      Backfill and put corrugated pour-pad where deck once was, on a level with current garage floor height (roughly top of the veneer)
      Punch out extension side and garage rear walls. Frame new box-end for that corner of the house, deleting all pass-through from extension into new-garage, but adding water+electrical provision for the washer/dryer and a laundry sink in the corner of the extension to get them out of the garage proper.
      Figure out what the hell I'm doing with the roof in that corner. The extension is currently a cross-gable, but it will end up very lopsided if I simply extend one side out to the new garage roof. I may just say f-it, delete the cross-gable and re-run rafters out to the new curtain wall and simply have a two-pitch rear roof. I don't want to rip the whole roof off. Alternate plan is to still run a cross-gable, but move the ridge line over to re-center it.

And somewhere in the mess above going to strip back the interior of the extension, give it and the garage a drop of their own from the panel (so I don't continue having half the house on a single circuit...), and probably end up laying down tile in the back room instead of the cheap AF fake wood flooring that's currently there. Given how cheap the windows ended up being, I may well replace them with new big sliders...
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, 2018 Passat SE
      09-19-2020 07:55 PM #223079
      Quote Originally Posted by flygliii View Post
      Got a foto of said splash? We're considering SS and looking for ideas on how extensively folks are covering. I.e., just sink, just stove, the whole kitchen...
      It's in the laundry room where the utility tub goes. Took me all day lol. Not bad imo being that I my first ever tile job.

It go down in the DM

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      09-19-2020 07:56 PM #223080
      Just reading that makes me not want to move. At all. Sorry you have run into that BS. Horrible.

On a good note, did just find out that "Long Way Up" is out, Ewan and Charley at it again. Can't wait to see it.

Did get to sit down with my son and go through all our lego mess from the ebay buys. We have a lot of minifigs. Don't think he will need any more lego anythings for a long time.

A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

Vehicles
      09-19-2020 08:01 PM #223081
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Just reading that makes me not want to move. At all. Sorry you have run into that BS. Horrible.
      Gets even better. Dad was over here while I was cleaning windows, trying to help fix the half-ass kitchen sink install (really basic crap like a non-baffled tee, no fall to the pipes, etc) that finally had started giving me enough issues that it became a priority.

That snowballed into our just biting the bullet and replacing all of the drain plumbing for the kitchen. We will probably also do the bathroom too, since it's right there.

We start tomorrow morning. Yay.

My consolation is that when we're done this house is gonna be a tank. And at least I don't have to deal with covenants.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      09-19-2020 08:07 PM #223082
      This is going to be an interesting week of lunch at work, cornish pastys are done...

Vehicles
      09-19-2020 08:14 PM #223083
      This is going to be an interesting week of lunch at work, cornish pastys are done...
      Those look tasty! I should try some.

I've been munching on last weekend's chicken parm for lunch/dinners over the week.

This weekend is some salsa chicken and roasted sweet potato/onion/peppers for quick tacos or quesadillas

10. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      09-19-2020 08:38 PM #223084
      Anybody have a good/free stream for the race?
      this signature kills fascists.

MUST NOT SLEEP, MUST WARN OTHERS.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

09-19-2020 08:52 PM #223085
      Built a thing for shoes today.

And drank a thing
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

Vehicles
      09-19-2020 09:23 PM #223086

On a good note, did just find out that "Long Way Up" is out, Ewan and Charley at it again. Can't wait to see it.
      Same on the house thing. It's a hovel, but it's ours, I know what's right and wrong and what needs work, and if it's important or would be nice to have done. Don't want a bigger mortgage, either, or extended past when I'd like to retire.

Where can you find Long Way Up?

Oh, hell yes!

Vehicles
      09-19-2020 09:24 PM #223087
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Anybody have a good/free stream for the race?
      I'm watching on Motor Trend. Do you have that one?

14. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      09-19-2020 10:05 PM #223088
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      I'm watching on Motor Trend. Do you have that one?
      Nope, sorry
      this signature kills fascists.

MUST NOT SLEEP, MUST WARN OTHERS.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      09-20-2020 06:35 AM #223089
      Where can you find Long Way Up?
      Looking like it's on Apple TV or something, I'm grabbing a copy now but it's only the first 3 episodes released on the 18th, #4 is out this Friday.

Vehicles
      09-20-2020 08:49 AM #223090
      Looking like it's on Apple TV or something, I'm grabbing a copy now but it's only the first 3 episodes released on the 18th, #4 is out this Friday.
      I'll dig around and see if I can find it on one of our options.

17. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      09-20-2020 08:54 AM #223091
      Pirate jawbone
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      fact; there are no, NO, ZERO evidence that washing hands...work.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      09-20-2020 09:02 AM #223092
      Adopted two kittens yesterday. Pictures later.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

19. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      09-20-2020 09:09 AM #223093
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Adopted two kittens yesterday. Pictures later.
      Cool. Congrats.
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      fact; there are no, NO, ZERO evidence that washing hands...work.

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-20-2020 09:14 AM #223094
      Quote Originally Posted by flygliii View Post
      i just did entire kitchen, all around pantry & kitchen window up to ceiling, and sides of the island, etc. (i have to rip out piece behind stove and put in a larger copper piece, hence no grout on there yet, i should have that piece done today).

i placed a large copper piece behind the sink as well (mostly to avoid water and grout issues, it was all rotted/mold previously behind the old counter/backsplash)

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      09-20-2020 09:52 AM #223095
      need some suggestions for security cameras for my house. preferably 4 cameras total and hardwired. received another violation and a fine this time for a "unregistered" vehicle on the property. the reg sticker on the plate isnt valid anymore as PA stopped issuing stickers 3 years ago. DE still does plate stickers. the car is located in DE but registered to my parents in PA and has been here for 4 years with no issues. extremely annoyed as i cant get ahold of anyone from the code office, cant go in person due to covid and if you call the township building they say to call the code office which hasnt returned any of my messages so now i want to see if i have a neighbor snooping on my property to hit them with trespassing to stop them harassing me. its complete BS that someone can make a blanket claim of a vehicle being unregistered without any proof and the code enforcement will just show up and walk on the property to check with out any real info.

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

22. Semi-n00b
      09-20-2020 10:36 AM #223096
      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      need some suggestions for security cameras for my house. preferably 4 cameras total and hardwired. received another violation and a fine this time for a "unregistered" vehicle on the property. the reg sticker on the plate isnt valid anymore as PA stopped issuing stickers 3 years ago. DE still does plate stickers. the car is located in DE but registered to my parents in PA and has been here for 4 years with no issues. extremely annoyed as i cant get ahold of anyone from the code office, cant go in person due to covid and if you call the township building they say to call the code office which hasnt returned any of my messages so now i want to see if i have a neighbor snooping on my property to hit them with trespassing to stop them harassing me. its complete BS that someone can make a blanket claim of a vehicle being unregistered without any proof and the code enforcement will just show up and walk on the property to check with out any real info.

Arlo cameras are great. They are wireless and come with as many cameras as you need and have a base that all the recordings go to. They record all the time and delete after 30 days if you don’t save the content. As for the car get a heat gun and remove the reg sticker and if your not driving it I would cover it with a car cover and post no trespassing signs at the bottom of your driveway. I had the same problem with three car as soon as I covered them up they could not tell if they were in running order or registered and stopped receiving the paperwork. Or if it is registered take the reg car to Office Depot enlarge it, make a poster of it, highlight the vehicle and the expired date and put it in your yard as an f u to the neighbors and city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-20-2020 11:15 AM #223097
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      It's in the laundry room where the utility tub goes. Took me all day lol. Not bad imo being that I my first ever tile job.

nice! slow & steady. now you'll have to upgrade the utility tub, being all subway tile fancy... maybe something stainless?

Did get to sit down with my son and go through all our lego mess from the ebay buys. We have a lot of minifigs. Don't think he will need any more lego anythings for a long time.

You shut your dirty whorish mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i just did entire kitchen, all around pantry & kitchen window up to ceiling, and sides of the island, etc. (i have to rip out piece behind stove and put in a larger copper piece, hence no grout on there yet, i should have that piece done today).

i placed a large copper piece behind the sink as well (mostly to avoid water and grout issues, it was all rotted/mold previously behind the old counter/backsplash)

Awaiting the final reveal pics. BTW, the knobs are 90* off, they go up & down.

j/k
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

24. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-20-2020 11:16 AM #223098
      well that's sh**ty. Speaking off, you need to collect a lot of it when you find you a-hole neighbor.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      '16 GTI, E46
      09-20-2020 12:22 PM #223099

So your town is basically an HOA? That blows.

I live in an HOA and some of my neighbors regularly do moderately annoying things but I do my best to let it go so that way when I’m being annoying they won’t narc on me. I hate lame neighbors that report stupid things. Sorry dude

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      09-20-2020 12:50 PM #223100

I can buy individual French Canadian touriere meat pies at the local bakery for $2.75 so I've had no incentive to DIY. My all time favorites are the ubiquitous New Zealand meat pies that are in glass hot cases everywhere. Every gas station has them. The cafeteria line at the ski field has them. They're different from Cornish pastys because they all have some kind of gravy/sauce in them. Instead of making lamb stew-based shepherd's pie, I should make meat pies out of it next time.

Page 8924 of 9028 FirstFirst ... 79248424882488748914892089218922892389248925892689278928893489749024 ... LastLast