VWVortex.com - Loading cargo bag on top of panoramic sunroof??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Loading cargo bag on top of panoramic sunroof??

1. 07-22-2013 12:34 PM #1
      Hey All,
      I have a 2012 Sportswagen with the panoramic sunroof which I absolutely love! My family and I are going on vac and have a cargo bag that can be strapped to the roof (used on previous car) however my concern is, can weight be put on top to of the glass? I know it has to be strong enough to hold snow, etc, yet I don't want to make a costly mistake. Does anyone been doing this and advise it or should it be avoided? I really appreciate any input. If this isn't the best option, I have read about diff crossbars, but haven't seen any top cargo boxes attached...any recommendations - brand, type etc would be great!

Thanks,
      Tim

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 MK7 GTI
      07-22-2013 12:57 PM #2
      I put yakima round crossbars on our 09 JSW. The round bars have slightly more wind noise than say the whispbars, but I like that more boxes and racks are a universal fit on them. I picked up a Yakima box for ours used and love it. It's great to be able to get all the stuff out of the car when going on trips so the kiddo and dog have room to be comfortable in the car.

2015 MK7 GTI | 18" Rotiform SPF | APR Stage 1 wit airbox mods | Clubsport Exhaust

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion, 2013 SportWagen 2.5 SE
      07-22-2013 01:36 PM #3
      To answer your question, no, you should not place a cargo bag directly on your pano roof. Depending on how much weight you put on it, you would probably be fine from a structural load perspective (it's thick, reinforced glass designed to be part of the load-bearing body of the car and can take a lot of punishment in a rollover/crush). However, the added weight can affect the rails and alignment, damaging the roof mechanism, and one hard bump with one corner of a dense, heavy object up there could also make you regret that decision in a big way.

You should get a hard shell or a platform/cage that will mount to the rack and provide bottom support for your existing cargo bag. Don't cut corners.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 07-22-2013 03:49 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by waltari View Post
      I put yakima round crossbars on our 09 JSW.

This.

Only smart way to do it with a cargo box.
      2006 A3 2.0T
      2000 A4 1.8TQM
      2012 JSW TDI, 6MT & Pano <gone, bought back by VW

7. 07-23-2013 08:42 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by yamato72 View Post
      This.

Only smart way to do it with a cargo box.
      Thanks a lot for all the input guys. I will be looking in to a good set up so I can carry a cargo box. Again, thanks!

8. 07-23-2013 11:35 AM #6
      I think I'm going to pick up a set of whispbars - hopefully this will reduce a lot of noise. Does anyone have a preference on a specific box that won't cause a lot of noise? Or is this just silly - they all will make a decent amount of wind noise ?

Thanks again all