Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - It's a trap!

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      08-01-2013 05:17 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post
      This is what I was saying about OT. This place is run loosely. We moderate posts that appear to us as individuals as being "over the line", what may be over the line to me, may not be over the line to another mod. But how can we bring our views in line? Have a meeting every time there is a controversial post?
      Do you guys not have a private "Admin/Moderator" section on the forum?

It's as easy as making a post of "hey guys this is happening here what are your thoughts?" or "this user has been doing a lot of this, how should we deal with it?". And then rather than one guy making the decision you decide as a team how to approach it. Level heads, multiple opinions.

It's something we adapted a number of years ago and it helps greatly. Being a moderator means not involving your personal opinion but rather enforcing the correct course of action. It's just keeping the peace and leveling everything out. If you have enough of the right people it becomes very easy. If you treat it as every man for himself it becomes a mess and you have a few heavy handed moderators, a few who do very little and a few who just don't care because the power hungry guys just take over and run the show.

I think we all agree that doing such a thing would make this place even worse than you think it is right now.
      True.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I could've been a contender. jebglx's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI 5DR, 2015 VW GSW SEL TDI
      08-01-2013 05:20 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      I think everybody has gotten really salty overall and just needs to step back and relax.

words to live by
      - Bill, your friendly former VWVortex administrator.

urge to kill...RISING !!!

Fight The Power! **** Trump and all his friends

Vehicles
      '86 Scirocco, '07 Rabbit, '09 MINI JCW
      08-01-2013 05:20 PM #53
      It's as easy as making a post of "hey guys this is happening here what are your thoughts?" or "this user has been doing a lot of this, how should we deal with it?". And then rather than one guy making the decision you decide as a team how to approach it. Level heads, multiple opinions.

It's something we adapted a number of years ago and it helps greatly. Being a moderator means not involving your personal opinion but rather enforcing the correct course of action. It's just keeping the peace and leveling everything out. If you have enough of the right people it becomes very easy. If you treat it as every man for himself it becomes a mess and you have a few heavy handed moderators, a few who do very little and a few who just don't care because the power hungry guys just take over and run the show.
      Oh yes we do. In fact, it's mostly filled with posts/discussions about OT. People seem to be under the assumption that the admins are just randomly handing out bans. I assure you anyone who has been banned here, has an entire thread dedicated to just them, and there is a lot of discussion between moderators up to people at the top of the food chain here at VMG.

If you guys think any one of us is just running amok doing as we please, you are mistaken.

My statement about inconsistency mostly relates to us deleting posts deemed as being "over the line", and the problem being that most posts here are technically "over the line" so we are basically just going off of our feeling on whether a post is appropriate or not because we really don't want to lock this place down and run it like the rest of the forum.

Vehicles
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-01-2013 05:21 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      as someone who has been through every iteration of this site...
      and weren't you the problem for most of that time? Like not even just part of the problem... but the problem.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      08-01-2013 05:22 PM #55
      OT stole me away significantly from TCL ... I remember back before the ZeroForum/vB update fiasco, TCL used to be a pretty cool place. Things got a fun during late night sessions and by the AM, everything was cleaned up. Some of the best times I've had on this forum were TCL late night, haha.

That being said, the OT forum here is probably the most-respectable group of OTers on the net. Having spent some time over on NASIOC's OT and some of the Honda Forums OTs, holy Christ ... they make this group of hilarity look like farking SAINTS.

Anyways, yes, OT is the honeypot to distract me from TCL, but I still frequent it, just less so now that OT is back.

Vehicles
      08-01-2013 05:22 PM #56
      Oh yes we do. In fact, it's mostly filled with posts/discussions about OT. People seem to be under the assumption that the admins are just randomly handing out bans. I assure you anyone who has been banned here, has an entire thread dedicated to just them, and there is a lot of discussion between moderators up to people at the top of the food chain here at VMG.

If you guys think any one of us is just running amok doing as we please, you are mistaken.
      Then other than breaking ONE rule (in jest I might add) what terrible things did those other users do that sparked this conversation?

Is there a way everyone can come to an agreement, settle down and return to the old ways or are the mods/admin putting their foot down and telling everyone to pound sand? You know as well as we all do, without interesting users and content this place would cease to exist.

As I said before there are other users who post here daily who have done worse or don't deserve to be here.

Vehicles
      08-01-2013 05:27 PM #57
      My statement about inconsistency mostly relates to us deleting posts deemed as being "over the line", and the problem being that most posts here are technically "over the line" so we are basically just going off of our feeling on whether a post is appropriate or not because we really don't want to lock this place down and run it like the rest of the forum.
      I actually don't have any issue with what threads get locked or remain open, I think that's done reasonably well and there's a good little niche carved there. That's not an easy task so I can give credit for that.

My only issue is in how the users have been handled.

It is also to your benefit for the environment of the rest of the forum as well as the income of VMG and the sponsors to have a place like O/T to keep the BS out of the other forums to be honest.

Vehicles
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      08-01-2013 05:31 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      and weren't you the problem for most of that time? Like not even just part of the problem... but the problem.
      I've worn a lot of hats here. That may have been a few if them. What can I say? I was an alcoholic for a while there.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      08-01-2013 05:31 PM #59
      I actually don't have any issue with what threads get locked or remain open, I think that's done reasonably well and there's a good little niche carved there. That's not an easy task so I can give credit for that.

My only issue is in how the users have been handled.

It is also to your benefit for the environment of the rest of the forum as well as the income of VMG and the sponsors to have a place like O/T to keep the BS out of the other forums to be honest.
      While very true, you still need to moderate it somewhat based on VMG rules ... Again, spend 30 seconds in NASIOCs OT forum and if you aren't flamed by the 15-20 regulars for a first post or if you post anything slightly off kilter (I made a post about some Ohio roads and it turned into a 20 page shiatfest about how terrible Ohio was), the whole forum will burn to the ground.

That place pissed me off so entirely, I just devoted all 3 months on was on there into trolling the regulars because they were so farking serious about maintaining their 'clique' ... dumbassery, all around.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      08-01-2013 05:36 PM #60
      On the other hand, I turned a thread about an accident on a ghost tour into an eye-wateringly crude multipage speculative exploration of the sexual possibilities of four-legged girls and midgets and stories of Asian sex shows, and only got banned for a few hours, as a joke...so clearly there are SOME priorities straight around here.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 08-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 R32
      08-01-2013 05:37 PM #61
      all of you are crazy..
      insane..
      please seek help.

Vehicles
      08-01-2013 05:37 PM #62
      Yeah, NASIOC can eat a dicksandwich.
      They're a good example of what a bad OT experience is.

08-01-2013 05:38 PM #63

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      08-01-2013 05:38 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      On the other hand, I turned a thread about an accident on a ghost tour into an eye-wateringly crude multipage speculative exploration of the sexual possibilities one could realize in taking advantage of a four-legged girl who died a few decades ago and only got banned for a few hours, as a joke...so clearly there are SOME priorities straight around here.

Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      levy-tran.jpg
      Wrong thread, hot buttered face.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra, Mk7 GTI
      08-01-2013 05:39 PM #65
      I will say that ever since OT was created, there's been a serious lack of epic TCL threads.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

08-01-2013 05:41 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post

Wrong thread, hot buttered face.
      That was my 'can't we just all get along' moment. Don't ruin it.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      08-01-2013 05:42 PM #67
      Your SN has never before been so apropos.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Vehicles
      08-01-2013 05:45 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Your SN has never before been so apropos.
      Remember the thread title. That's probably a dude!

Vehicles
      08-01-2013 05:45 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      I will say that ever since OT was created, there's been a serious lack of epic TCL threads.
      That's my major complaint.

Vehicles
      08-01-2013 05:45 PM #70
      Remember the thread title. That's probably a dude!
      I'm ok with that

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      08-01-2013 05:53 PM #71
      Again, the real problem is that everyone wants to be able to post whatever the hell they want until someone posts something they don't like
      No.

and then they want us to drop the hammer on them with no remorse.
      The only people we generally want banned are the trolls.
      iain

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Hyundai Elantra SE
      08-01-2013 06:05 PM #72
      I do miss a few people, even the ones I disagreed with occasionally. Except Matt D. That guy was just a tool with a vw
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

08-01-2013 08:04 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Except Matt D. That guy was just a tool with a vw
      What you did there, I see it.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Hyundai Elantra SE
      08-01-2013 08:11 PM #74
      What you did there, I see it.
      ssshhhhh....
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      01 B5 Avant,12 Mazda5
      08-01-2013 08:13 PM #75
      Chapel your the man stay classy. I'm on my third name on here. first one was around chapels time . I can say this that this place Vortex overall has come a long way. And back in the day before the amount of mods tripled. You would have these mega bitch threads with name calling and bashing that went on forever. Now i wont say that this is perfect but hey we all come back every day don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast