VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Over Heating mk1 Rabbit 1.8 8v

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GregM 
#1 ·

Been having a hard time keeping this car from over heating. All the basics have been checked, water pump, radiator etc. I am trying to keep the water pump fully circulating by blocking off the two outlets on the water pump only allowing the water to flow through the radiator. Has anyone done this? Any other ideas on keeping it cool? This is a circle track race car.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Check the stat, check the pump, check the timing. 30* or less at 5000rpm
Try the A2 Rad with A/C spec
I use a fan for allof my race cars so that you can cool it down when needed.

The A2 rad is the Golf rad from 1985-1992. With AC, the rad is longer than the early cars and fits. MOL.
You need to change both hoses to the later hoses.
Block the air escape routes with sign board /card board etc to flow as much air through the rad as possible.

#4 · (Edited)
o and i've never kept them cool without a fan, dont see one in the picture. and with a fan, i think you will need an alternator. the fuel pumps in these take lots of power. the one time my alt went away early in the feature, it barely finished as the battery was dying, but maybe others have been successful without

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.