VWVortex.com - What's wrong with your A3 today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374
    Results 1,826 to 1,838 of 1838

Thread: What's wrong with your A3 today?

1. 02-05-2020 04:27 PM #1826
      Hello, kind sirs. How's everybody doing?

Inaugural post since purchasing my A3. Over from the MkIII forums. I've owned my '95 MkIII GLX for 17 years now. Bought it off my older brother when I was a senior in high school. Still have her. VR still runs like a top. Clutch went. Have the full clutch kit to go in, but wanted to do the chains and main seals while I was there, and simply hadn't had the time to do it. She sits and waits. Eventually... Any way. My apologies, I digress.

The VR holds a special place in my heart. For all this time, I hadn't known they put 3.2's in the A3. Once I was informed of this, and I was looking for another ride about a year ago, the research and search began. Unfortunately, I kept coming across literature on transmission issues for the 3.2. Just as I was about to start looking in alternate directions, I came across these premium+, S-Line, Quattro, facelift models. Started researching these. Non 3.2, but Quattro with enough specialty appeal to perk my interest. One finally pops up in my state. Black Optics package, leather and perforated suede LeMans seats, the 9's. Thing was sitting on a Hoffman Audi lot for almost a year. Mileage of 95k, and too old for any type of warranty. Never sold there, and it moved to a mah and pah shop. Sales pictures on Car Gurus were horrible. Figured the car was beat, but wanted to take a look just to get a good baseline on this model.

When I walked up, I was blown away. Thing was tight. All original, untouched. Wasn't quiet adding up for the price they were asking. What's the catch? Inspected the whole thing and test drove it. Thing shook violently at 70+ mph. Took the gamble, knowing I have the mechanical capabilities, and went for it. Some droning of a front wheel bearing. Took care of both front hubs and grabbed an alignment. Still shook violently. Oh, boy. What did I get into? More research. Upon that, recentered the subframe with the CTS subframe centering shims/spacers and some ARP bolts. Shake gone. It was a scary point, but now sorted.

Now, for the rest. All in the span of this year... Waterpump goes. Luckily had already ordered one knowing they're potential issues. Grabbed a full aluminum one from USP, but hadn't planned on doing it until this winter. Turned into a summer job. Took care of walnut blasting the intake valves and grabbed a catch can while I was there, to sort this direct injection fallout. Figured the waterpump was going to be easier to do with the intake manifold removed, and wanted to take care of carbon buildup anyway. All in all, really not that bad of a job. Thing is to label everything, take note of steps and orientation of things, take your time, and just have the confidence to push forward.

With a little extra money saved, and thinking it's mechanically sorted, I grabbed the ECS performance engine/trans/dog-bone mounts, BC Racing fully adjustable coilovers, and some wheel spacers. Make it my own. Wasn't going to do much more beyond that and called it done. I'm happy. Well, maybe extra engine vibrations from the race mounts developed the next problem. Major oil leaks started to form.

Accessory built got covered in oil and started getting chewed. One thing led to another while I was in there. Upper timing cover, lower timing cover, front main seal, crank pulley, turbo oil feed line attached at the block, oil pan, accessory belt and tensioner. Saw how blow-back covered the intake pipe to turbo was, so grabbed the APR stage 2 intake pipe and kept the factory air box. Figure the air turbulence is created passing the MAF sensor and accordion anyway. Smooth air flow there on out to the turbo, so why spend more money for the box. Took care of the other turbo pipes that were covered in blow-back too. CTS outlet pipe, Spulen throttle pipe. Grabbed what design I liked and made most mechanical sense, instead of staying with one brand.

Beyond that, with the engine hoisted and the timing covers off the motor, figured I'd do the chains. Would be stupid to be that far into this project and not take care of them. Wouldn't you know, what the dealership told me about the chains being done was true. The chain tensioner was already updated and literally only had 2 visible notches sticking out of the tensioner collar. So no chain stretch or worn chain guides were present. Best Christmas present I could've asked for this year. Funds getting low, and the headaches were beginning to get unmanageable.

All back together running like an absolute sewing machine. All that time and work, and it was still leaking. Found it trailing down the front of the block. Leaking from the oil filter housing/alternator bracket/AC bracket. Grabbed all the gaskets from a nearby dealer and went at it once again. Tone of cleanup on mating surfaces, old gasket material, etc. Just finally finished a few weeks ago. She's officially oil leak free now, and running better than ever.

Think someone less patient would've washed their hands of it a while ago. She's sorted, and I absolutely love the car. Nothing like hopping in that thing and letting it breath. Needless to say, we've developed a bit of a relationship over the last year. Worth it? I could definitively say, yes. Apologize on the book of a post, boys and girls. First post here since ownership, and as you've read, there was quiet a bit to cover as far as stuff going wrong...

Looking forward to getting to know all of you, and helping when I can.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2
      02-05-2020 06:05 PM #1827
      Hoffman Audi?

You in CT?
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2, APR intake, turbo inlet pipe and downpipe, R8 Coilpacks, GFB DV+, S3 Matt Chrome Mirror covers, aspherical mirrors, Maxton Design RS3 Rear Spoiler Extension, RS3 Badgeless Grille, P3Cars Vent Multi-Gauge, ORT (Open Road Tuning) RS Spec Coilovers, 3SDM 0.01s 19X8.5 et42 offset wheels

4. 02-10-2020 03:20 PM #1828
      Quote Originally Posted by strangetdi View Post
      Hoffman Audi?

You in CT?
      I am. Can see you are too... How long have you had your A3 for?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2
      02-11-2020 08:37 AM #1829
      About 2 years. It was stock when I got it.
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2, APR intake, turbo inlet pipe and downpipe, R8 Coilpacks, GFB DV+, S3 Matt Chrome Mirror covers, aspherical mirrors, Maxton Design RS3 Rear Spoiler Extension, RS3 Badgeless Grille, P3Cars Vent Multi-Gauge, ORT (Open Road Tuning) RS Spec Coilovers, 3SDM 0.01s 19X8.5 et42 offset wheels

Vehicles
      2007 A3 8P 2.0T DSG S-Line
      02-12-2020 01:21 AM #1830
      Heh, I almost bought an A4 from Hoffman when I was living in CT. But I passed on it, moving to NJ not long after. I'd heard mixed reviews of it. Judging by the condition of that A3... man. They didn't bother to fix it right, if at all.
      Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue —— Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

7. Member
      02-22-2020 04:03 PM #1831
      Got my ABS sensor finally fixed!
      Last edited by nbkkb7x; 02-22-2020 at 04:12 PM.
      01 TTQ 225 | Future BT Build | GT3071R

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3 Quattro, 12 GTI (sold), 2015 A3 Quattro
      03-08-2020 05:53 PM #1832
      Finally little warm outside. Decided to bleed the brakes after BBK install. Few times that I took the car for a drive I found oil dripping on the ground right underneath the master cylinder. Check everything only to find out that the transmission housing is cracked. I had my driver side axle lose couple months ago I replaced it back then but haven't driven the car since. The axle bridge between the bolts had cut the aluminum housing. Oh, well - ordered replacement transmission from car-parts. Looks like I will have fun project next weekend.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      03-09-2020 01:12 AM #1833
      Quote Originally Posted by Evo V View Post
      Finally little warm outside. Decided to bleed the brakes after BBK install. Few times that I took the car for a drive I found oil dripping on the ground right underneath the master cylinder. Check everything only to find out that the transmission housing is cracked. I had my driver side axle lose couple months ago I replaced it back then but haven't driven the car since. The axle bridge between the bolts had cut the aluminum housing. Oh, well - ordered replacement transmission from car-parts. Looks like I will have fun project next weekend.
      Oh man, sorry to hear that
      Bronco

2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe | EuroLED tail lights | RS grille

10. 03-26-2020 08:23 PM #1834
      This, https://imgur.com/gallery/KeICz6A getting parts on Friday. Hopefully I can get everything installed.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3 Quattro, 12 GTI (sold), 2015 A3 Quattro
      03-27-2020 07:57 AM #1835
      Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
      Oh man, sorry to hear that
      Removed the transmission last weekend. What you know - the flywheel was almost gone. Had so much play - it was probably about to fail in few thousand miles. removed it and found that the rear main seal was replaced by the previous owner with oem piece but was installed wrong and had small leak already. New iabed rms arrived yesterday along with new flywheel. For good measure I'm replacing the water pump with metal one too. Hope after this work I don't have to touch the tranny for a long time . Oh, and ordered Stage 1 from IE for the ECU. The previous tune was wiped by the dealer when they performed recall on the ABS last fall. Probably will get IE tune for the 8V as well.

Vehicles
      Air-to-Water VW's and 4 Rings
      03-31-2020 06:29 PM #1836
      Is there a preference between the metal water pumps from ECS or USP?

With everything being on lock down, it might just be the time to do this as preventative maintenance
      This Space For Rent

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 6MT 2.0T
      04-01-2020 12:13 PM #1837
      I used the ECS-supplied metal impeller water pump as part of my timing belt kit, it worked great on my FSI. But I'm not sure if you're talking about a TFSI/TSI water pump or an FSI water pump, I know next to nothing about the TFSI/TSIs

Vehicles
      Air-to-Water VW's and 4 Rings
      04-01-2020 12:32 PM #1838
      Yeah, I should've been more clear.

It's for a TSI ('12). I've tried searching in the TSI forum but couldn't really find much.

It looks like there's a Graf (ECS) & Hepu (Europaparts) version, and what ever USP's version is (They reference patent pending, so is that their own version or???).

Looking to see if they are all equal or not. I assume all three also ave a metal impeller.
      This Space For Rent

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374