Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102 LastLast
    Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2547

Thread: Possible Porsche 930 Purchase - Advice Needed

1. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-03-2019 10:32 PM #2501
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      I added some vids to my YT channel but this was really my first time using the GoPro so they suck. The camera rattles in the housing and the sound is meh at best, add that to me taking it easy and it struggling under boost it doesnt make for good entertainment. That being said if there is interest I will put more effort/time into YT vids knowing I am no Mr.Obscene. Numbersix has some vids as well somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/c/ShannonFthecrashingdoor
      Well done.
      Instagram - efrie004

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-04-2019 08:40 AM #2502
      I added some vids to my YT channel but this was really my first time using the GoPro so they suck. The camera rattles in the housing and the sound is meh at best, add that to me taking it easy and it struggling under boost it doesnt make for good entertainment. That being said if there is interest I will put more effort/time into YT vids knowing I am no Mr.Obscene. Numbersix has some vids as well somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/c/ShannonFthecrashingdoor
      Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to watching!
      https://www.youtube.com/bennyobscene

Drift Car Build! - now with (V8!) drift car content!

Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure

4. 03-04-2019 08:41 AM #2503
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I think the '73 RS will be more up my alley, but that's a little too far out of my budget unless I rob a lot of banks.
      did anyone else LOL that robbing 1 bank would not be sufficient?
      https://www.youtube.com/bennyobscene

Drift Car Build! - now with (V8!) drift car content!

Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-04-2019 08:55 AM #2504
      Quote Originally Posted by benjaminobscene View Post
      did anyone else LOL that robbing 1 bank would not be sufficient?
      Not until now!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-11-2019 01:29 PM #2505
      Been a couple weeks without an update so here goes.

Weekend before last some new stainless studs came in from Bel-Metric (love those guys). I got a couple different lengths since the old studs were a little short when you take into account the 993 turbine heat shield and new exhaust with that has a thicker flange.

IMG_20190302_131049 by Shannon, on Flickr

I got the studs in, adjusted the clocking of the compressor housing again and again and again. The K29 housing is bigger than the K27 and much bigger than the stock 3LDZ. Henceforth it makes getting the intercooler and up-pipe plumbing a real pain to fit. As it stands today the intercooler is slightly rubbing on the mesh of the wing.

I got the turbo and its annoying mounting bracket installed (I so absolutely hate this job) only to realize I forgot the oil top feed......which meant the turbo had to come back out. At that point I threw in the towel and told Bernie to re-mount the turbo and let me know when it was done. I am never removing this turbo again myself. I will fix it with money. No pics as you guys have seen the turbo on and off this car as much as I have.

Went back up this weekend and Bernie had the turbo mounted, oil changed and all I had to do was mount the rest of the exhaust. That finished did a small test drive and things seemed pretty much back to normal once all the oil burned out of the exhaust. I did notice however that it seemed to be running a littler leaner than I remembered. It also developed a slight miss/hesitation. I did a few tentative runs into boost to see if the cutout was still happening and it seems to have cured itself, car makes about 3-6psi of boost till the wastegate is fully open. There is still a hint in the higher RPM/full boost range of a stutter but I cant pinpoint just what it is. With the car running a leaner than I would like I decided to just keep it out of boost till I can get the adjustable WUR in.

Went back to the shop, packed up and headed home. The miss/hesitation started getting worse and worse, WTF now. I figured I would pull over at the next gas station (bout 8miles out) and take a peek since I was down to 1/4 tank and the gauge has been acting funky since the car has been running again. A mile later I decided that was stupid and turned around and headed back to town to fuel up. Miss got worse and worse.

Pulled into the gas station and the car was super unhappy. I figured I would be pushing it out from in front of the gas pump but decided to fuel it anyway. 5gals in. 10gals in. 13gals in, W the actual F. I cant remember EVER putting more than 13gals in this car. No gas on the ground.....holy sh!it, its flowing into the frunk because the rubber hose has rotted through! Open the frunk....no gas, the tank is cold like its got gas in it. Start to re-pump....15gals. 16gals. 17gals....at this point I think I am losing my mind. 18gals. 18.5gals.....pump clicks off. Yep....I'm not going mad, I'm just a moron. Hit the key and car fires up, sounds as happy as it ever does at idle. Get back on the road and miss/hesitation it nearly completely gone. What a dummy, I think the sender is probably borked from sitting too long with a 1/4 tank of gas. Who knows what other crud I picked up running it so low. Probably time for the fuel head to go out to Larry at CIS Flowtech anyway.

Drove it all weekend, car seems to much happier if you push it into boost but again, I am taking it super easy. Overall its pretty doggy, I tossed a couple degrees of timing into a few places below boost and smoothed out some lumps in the map and it perked up a bit. Going to leave it alone before it goes to the dyno.

I did however put its fresh turbo badge back on!

IMG_20190310_113914 by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_20190310_114619 by Shannon, on Flickr

Felt good doing that.

Didn't shoot any real video since I'm focusing on driving it and making the next to-do list but here is its happy sound.

SO I am working on a new to-do list but the car is home for the next couple of weeks. Even made it to work today, not sure if I'll make it home but hey, its progress right!

IMG_20190311_065141 by Shannon, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-11-2019 01:37 PM #2506
      This update almost makes me as happy as getting the video above did this weekend.

Can't wait for dyno day. I need to reserve it on my calendar...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      03-11-2019 01:55 PM #2507
      It sounds great!!!!

Hmmm, the old fuel too low trick, eh? The devil is truly in the details. Glad to see you enjoying it again!!

9. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Right foot on the clutch
      03-11-2019 02:33 PM #2508
      Sweeeeeeeet!!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

10. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      03-11-2019 02:35 PM #2509
      i wanna see like 10 different camera angles and mics going for that dyno day!

excellent stuff

Vehicles
      1996 Porsche 911, 2006 Acura CSX
      03-11-2019 02:41 PM #2510
      My heart was sinking as I read about the hesitation getting worse, but I'm glad that it was not an issue. Sounds so good!

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-11-2019 02:44 PM #2511
      Man, the way you wrote that, I actually thought you were filling your frunk with gas!

Glad to see that was not the case.

03-11-2019 03:00 PM #2512
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      It sounds great!!!!

Hmmm, the old fuel too low trick, eh? The devil is truly in the details. Glad to see you enjoying it again!!
      x2, it sounds great. Also LOL.

Vehicles
      Rabbit, 911, 2002, and a Galaxie
      03-11-2019 03:22 PM #2513
      Shannon, it looks and sounds awesome. Give yourself a well deserved weekend or three off. This has no doubt been a real mental strain. Yesterday you talked like a man that has forgotten that he owns a 930 with RUF wheels and a sleeping monster under the trunk lid. You've done real good. Call dyno dude when you're rested and ready for more Here's to another 101 pages (j/k).

PS: I bring Galaxie next time you think it's too loud. I think it's just right
      - Alex

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 BRG Miata, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
      03-11-2019 03:25 PM #2514
      Congratulations Shannon! It's all about the journey, not a destination.
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -DD

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

16. 03-11-2019 04:24 PM #2515
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Congratulations Shannon! It's all about the journey, not a destination.
      Phew...as much as I want to agree with that inspirational quote, in this case I think it might be a stretch. There have been many a heart sinking moment in this build and the dedication and perseverance are the attributes worth celebrating. The Journey though...man that's a tough one

As for the stainless studs...hope you didn't use locking nuts. Stainless Steel galls REALLY bad with some hardware.
      Last edited by jaystone; 03-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-11-2019 07:18 PM #2516
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Phew...as much as I want to agree with that inspirational quote, in this case I think it might be a stretch. There have been many a heart sinking moment in this build and the dedication and perseverance are the attributes worth celebrating. The Journey though...man that's a tough one

As for the stainless studs...hope you didn't use locking nuts. Stainless Steel galls REALLY bad with some hardware.
      It's not been the easiest, that's for sure but I can say I have had some pretty cool experiences. Even hanging out with Bernie, who while its impossible to believe is more of a pessimist than myself. I know, incredible.

And the 930 almost made it back home from work with out issue, wideband O2 died as I was leaving the parking garage. Gotta love it.

Thanks for all the kudos, theres been more than a few times you guys/gals have kept me honest and kept me moving.

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV
      03-11-2019 07:39 PM #2517
      That idle video.......
      XEleventybillion

What music

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-11-2019 07:55 PM #2518
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      That idle video.......
      XEleventybillion

What music
      Maybe tomorrow when the neighbors are at work I will grab a longer video. I would feel like a weirdo doing it now.

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-11-2019 10:49 PM #2519
      Maybe tomorrow when the neighbors are at work I will grab a longer video. I would feel like a weirdo doing it now.
      When you're ready for a long, high-speed trip, may I recommend this setup for recording (GoPro works too).

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-11-2019 10:54 PM #2520
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      When you're ready for a long, high-speed trip, may I recommend this setup for recording (GoPro works too).

You absolutely can. I have a fancy mic, this guy -
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shamefully though I have never actually used it. Much like my Mavic 2 Pro I bought it long ago in anticipation of the car being done but as you all have read....its never actually been done when I expected it to be.
      Last edited by 16volt; 03-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      03-11-2019 11:05 PM #2521
      You absolutely can. I have a fancy mic, this guy -
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shamefully though I have never actually used it. Much like my Mavic 2 Pro I bought it long ago in anticipation of the car being done but as you all have read....its never actually been done when I expected it to be.
      That's the one I initially bought but I didn't like it, so traded up for the pro mic. It's worth it but only if you use it of course.

Accurate audio is a lot harder than most people think, but that car deserves quality audio.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-11-2019 11:30 PM #2522
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      That's the one I initially bought but I didn't like it, so traded up for the pro mic. It's worth it but only if you use it of course.

Accurate audio is a lot harder than most people think, but that car deserves quality audio.
      You're totally right. I guess I just need to use it.

I am hesitant about external suction mounts. A photographer used one on the BMW and the mark needs to be polished out. Thankfully the paint on the 930 is good from afar but far from good. I was thinking that I would want a nice Manfrotto suction mount just to be sure I dont scatter a bunch of money across the road. Back in the day someone shot a documentary about the VW scene and I was in it (Dubbed), he used those and they seemed awesome. Funny story, he went on to work on the Green Book movie.
      Last edited by 16volt; 03-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.

24. 03-12-2019 01:01 PM #2523

epitome - Like McCormicks, we're seasoned
      "Car shows are more fun if you keep your doors and hood closed. It's about the people, not a dinky glass trophy." - dabble
      "i should not use mark as an example though, as he is a god amongst mortals on this tiny planet we call home.." - Us2bA4dr

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-15-2019 03:34 AM #2524
      So I have my headphones on enjoying Tom Clancy's The Division 2 when I hear a huge racket....louder than the sound of my SIG516 in the game....holy hell - yell to the GF unit, 'is that f-ing hail?!'.

The 930 is parked in the driveway while I am dragging my feet all week to clear a spot in the garage.

Panic ensues. I go back to my childhood in the midwest where 5mins of hail could destroy a car. The GF remembers me explaining to her why a car in SD she saw looked like a golf ball. It's deafening in the house. Strip all the rugs off the floor of the house and cover the 930.

Start the 930 in my socks. Start the BMW. GF empties out a hole in the garage. Shuffle cars. Soaked to the bone with my skin stinging. But hey, both of the kids are in the garage now.

This is after about 4mins.

IMG_20190312_210525 by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_20190312_210533 by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_20190312_210513 by Shannon, on Flickr

The house is a disaster now. And man, I love my GF and her hustle, no one bothered to do anything with her brand new car.

New WB O2 sensor showed up today as well.
      Last edited by 16volt; 03-15-2019 at 03:36 AM.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Chevy SS
      03-15-2019 07:44 AM #2525
      Oh, man, I hate that feeling - helpless in a couple of cases for me where it wasn't possible to get another garage space opened up and having to watch the hail tear into a car. Once I went out and laid on top of it - my body will heal but the sheetmetal won't.

On the plus side, it looks like a large volume of very small-size stuff. Fingers crossed that the old German steel held up and maybe you won't have any real damage.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102 LastLast