VWVortex.com - Rear fog light on Jetta SE/Comfortline?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear fog light on Jetta SE/Comfortline?

1. 01-13-2014 11:21 PM #1
      So after doing a bunch of searching, I realize I can't find the right answer.

I have a mid-level (non-GLI) 2014 Jetta TDI. I'm wondering if the tail-lights in the trunk are equipped to handle rear fog lights. ... i.e. do they have the appropriate harness & reflectors?

If so, I plan to install a euroswitch and run a wire to the trunk to connect it (vs. the VCDS route).

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2013/VW/JettaS 1999/Dodge/Durango 5.9l 2000/VW/TDI Jetta 2012/Dodge/Durango 5.7l HEMI
      01-13-2014 11:41 PM #2
      The whole VCDS setup for rear fogs i dont understand.
      All the information i have for you is there is an unused pin (only 3/4 slots on the connector are used) on the harness that connects to the taillights, and there is an open/unused light bulb slot were the rear fog light would go. I would think the unused male pin on the taillight is already connected to that unused rear fog bulb slot.

You need the euro switch to do this, we all know that. According to ecstuning, you can use this wire: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...Fog/ES2217882/

To take power from the euro switch, PIN #9 is rear fog, to the trunk tail lights. I am unsure if the euro switch outputs 12volts on too that rear fog wire!? Can someone clear that up?
      I tried to do this mod a few months ago but found no info then.
      Last edited by TheKoning; 01-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.

4. 01-14-2014 01:14 AM #3
      Thanks for the reply.

This makes sense and is similar to what I did on my MK4.
      I guess my reason question is whether OEM rear trunk lid mounted lamps would work, or if I need to buy the Euro lamps... As ECS lists them.
      https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...xOHVsTXJi1esdw

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 01-14-2014 01:21 AM #4
      Here is the rear taillight kit (euro). At $500 it's a tough sell for me just for rear fogs. Lots of other upgrades I'd do first.

I'm hoping I can do without.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/VW_Jet...its/ES2214940/

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      01-14-2014 10:20 AM #5
      The rear fog thing is easy.

Let me brake it down for you:

Euro switch with rear fog required

-If you have a 17 pin headlight connector, then the connection is made from the headlight switch to the tail lights.

-If you have a 10 pin headlight connector, then the connection is made from the headlight switch to the CECM then to the tail light(s). Have yet to establish if you can use the L & R fog outs on the CECM and both will work or if you have to splice them in the trunk off of 1 output. (could be region code related)

Next step

Change your inner tail light(s) out for the fog version(s)

Last step

If you have 17 pin connector you are done.
      If you have 10 pin connector you need coding.

Vehicles
      2013/VW/JettaS 1999/Dodge/Durango 5.9l 2000/VW/TDI Jetta 2012/Dodge/Durango 5.7l HEMI
      01-14-2014 04:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Next step

What do you mean... buy new rear fog dedicated taillights? that sounds expensive. The stock taillights already have a rear fog slot just no bulb.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      01-14-2014 04:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TheKoning View Post
      What do you mean... buy new rear fog dedicated taillights? that sounds expensive. The stock taillights already have a rear fog slot just no bulb.
      Yes the tails do have the socket however the tail light does not have a clear section over the socket therefore the light would not show through. You could drill a hole adjacent the fog socket to let the light through but that is boot leg ****. A new pair of inners will only run you 260 shipped from ECS or you can get them used from Europe for less.

Vehicles
      01-14-2014 05:01 PM #8
      Yes the tails do have the socket however the tail light does not have a clear section over the socket therefore the light would not show through. You could drill a hole adjacent the fog socket to let the light through but that is boot leg ****. A new pair of inners will only run you 260 shipped from ECS or you can get them used from Europe for less.
      I was afraid of this. Thanks for the info
      Owning a 99 Dodge Durango 5.9l and a 13 jetta 8v should have made me bi-polar already.

11. 01-15-2014 01:24 AM #9
      Thanks for the info! I guess I'll remove the lamps and cross my fingers they made the 2014 differently to accommodate rear fogs My car is leased and I havent decided whethrr to buy it out yet or not... so doesnt make sense to buy new lamps for rear fogs I'll use rarely

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-15-2014 01:36 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tdi2vr6 View Post
      Here is the rear taillight kit (euro). At $500 it's a tough sell for me just for rear fogs. Lots of other upgrades I'd do first.

I'm hoping I can do without.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/VW_Jet...its/ES2214940/

you don't have to spend $500... but if you want amber rear turn signals.... that's why you buy the Euro version.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES2209718/

And if you want dual.... you can!... as the spacing between the rear fog and the brake lights should be sufficient by law (Euro standards).
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES2209720/
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

13. Member
      01-15-2014 02:41 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      you don't have to spend $500... but if you want amber rear turn signals.... that's why you buy the Euro version.

And if you want dual.... you can!... as the spacing between the rear fog and the brake lights should be sufficient by law (Euro standards).
      So, I recall that Euro rear fog lights (in Europe) occurred on a specific side of the car (not on both sides) Is this dependent on which hand drive the vehicle is?
      When I signal, I'm advising you that I'm about to change lanes, not asking for you to speed up and stop me!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-15-2014 03:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by simonrjones View Post
      So, I recall that Euro rear fog lights (in Europe) occurred on a specific side of the car (not on both sides) Is this dependent on which hand drive the vehicle is?
      Yes and No.

For single rear fog applications, yes, the rear fog is on the driver side.

however, dual rear fogs are allowed, as there is a minimum distance (10 cm edge to edge) that the rear fogs must be separate from the brake lights.

For example (using a more obvious example), the Audi Q7, will easily meet the mimum requirement, thus have dual rear fogs.

Another example... this time on a car... the B7 Audi A4 has dual rear fogs.
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 01-15-2014 at 03:17 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

15. 01-16-2014 12:06 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post

Thanks for this... it's a lot cheaper than $500 for sure!

I think if I did rears, I would want to do dual... just for symmetry sake.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      01-16-2014 10:35 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by tdi2vr6 View Post
      Thanks for this... it's a lot cheaper than $500 for sure!

I think if I did rears, I would want to do dual... just for symmetry sake.
      If you have any more questions regarding your newly leased MK6 Jetta feel free to ask

Vehicles
      '14 Jetta TDI Past: MK4 2.Slow
      03-06-2014 10:04 AM #15

-If you have a 17 pin headlight connector, then the connection is made from the headlight switch to the tail lights.

-If you have a 10 pin headlight connector, then the connection is made from the headlight switch to the CECM then to the tail light(s). Have yet to establish if you can use the L & R fog outs on the CECM and both will work or if you have to splice them in the trunk off of 1 output. (could be region code related)

Next step

Last step

If you have the 17 pin, making the connection from headlight switch 9 to tails, do I then activate the light in the dash by coding or do I need more wiring?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-07-2014 09:20 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by sobeisgood89 View Post
      If you have the 17 pin, making the connection from headlight switch 9 to tails, do I then activate the light in the dash by coding or do I need more wiring?
      If you have a 17 pin connector you can not activate the dash light because the computer does not know anything it is a dumb connection i.e. switch to light. Not a switch to computer to light. And you can not connect it to the computer as the lowline computer does not have fog or headlight connections.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GLI SEL, BMW Z3, 528i, M5, X5 4.8is, M2
      12-31-2016 06:16 PM #17

Next step

Last step

On my '16 S I have a 10 pin connector. Which plug/pin on the CECM do I need to tap into to get the dash light to work? Am I right in assuming tail to CECM, then CECM to switch?

The way I have it set up now is direct from tail to switch, and the light comes on. I do not have a dash icon illuminate. There's another thread around where a member with a '14 S ran the wire like I have done and splices into it and runs a wire up to pin #13 on the gauge cluster to illuminate the light and it works for him, so for 11-14 Jetta S, SE, SEL I would assume it would work that way.

20. n00b
      Vehicles
      2015 VW jetta
      02-12-2017 06:30 AM #18
      I have 10 pin headlight connector. Question which pin is to the CECM from switch and which pin to the tail fog light? I need coding instruction for 2015 JETTA, cant find in VCDS

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-18-2017 11:07 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by MindaugasJs View Post
      I have 10 pin headlight connector. Question which pin is to the CECM from switch and which pin to the tail fog light? I need coding instruction for 2015 JETTA, cant find in VCDS
      Good luck trying to find that info, I couldn't find it anywhere. If you find it, please post it up.

22. 08-30-2017 11:05 AM #20
      I am wondering have anyone managed to connect rear fog.

As far as I understood, the following needs to be done:

1. Run wire from Euroswitch pin7 to cecm black connector pin17.

2. Run wire from cecm brown pin47 to taillight pin4.

Is this is correct order? And what kind of coding I need to do?

Thank you in advance

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta 1.8T
      10-20-2018 03:08 PM #21
      Euro Switch (17 pin) ✔️
      Ran wire from pin 9 (NSL) to euro taillights and bulb trays with halogen dual 1156 rear fog light bulbs ✔️

All other exterior lights operational ✔️

Note: no front fog lights installed (if that matters)

What else am I missing?

2014 Jetta se 1.8t sedan

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-24-2018 11:12 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by SoThatMKVI View Post
      Euro Switch (17 pin) ✔️
      Ran wire from pin 9 (NSL) to euro taillights and bulb trays with halogen dual 1156 rear fog light bulbs ✔️

All other exterior lights operational ✔️

Note: no front fog lights installed (if that matters)

What else am I missing?

2014 Jetta se 1.8t sedan
      Nothing, thats all there is to it.

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta 1.8T
      01-05-2019 07:43 PM #23
      I've bench tested the rear fog lights with 12v and they work. I have a feeling it's a faulty euro headlight switch. To test this and if my wiring is correct, I should be able to jump 12v to pin 9 and it should work? Which pin should I get 12v from? Pin 15?

Side note: with a jumper wire i can jump the pins at the inner taillight for the reverse lights to the rear fog lights and both rear fog lights work as long as its in reverse
      but if i jump the pins for the running lights to the rear fog lights the car freaks out and shuts down the circuit and illuminates the "bulb out warning" on the instrument cluster.....remove the jumper wire and cycle the key and everything is back to normal......

Last edited by SoThatMKVI; 01-06-2019 at 04:52 PM.