Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing OEM Front and Rear Footwell Lighting

Vehicles
      2017 Volkswagen Alltrack
      01-26-2014 12:45 AM #1
      I have gotten a lot of responses and inquiries regarding my footwell lighting install so I thought I would make a more elaborate thread regarding the process. As usual, you do things at your own risk. I am not responsible for any mistake you may make.

Tools:
      • trim removal tool [for radio trim and interior rocker trim]
      • T20 torx with driver [for radio and under dash panels]
      • 10mm triple square socket bit (with driver and extension) [for seats]

Process:

Step 1: remove the driver side under dash panel

Step 2: remove the passenger side under dash panel

Step 3: remove trim around radio

Step 4: remove radio

Step 5: locate the BCM under the driver side dash. You will need to find three plugs. These are called A, B, and C. Obviously B is the middle plug and the one we will be dealing with for this.

Step 6: remove plug B. Once removed, you will need to slide the pin housing out of the sheath. There is a small tab that keeps it in.

Step 7: locate pin 50. This is where you need to insert the positive lead for the footwell lights.

Step 8: reassemble the pin housing, sheath, and plug.

Step 9: find a place to ground the harness. I removed the top screw on the fuse panel and placed the ground lead between the fuse panel and the metal dash frame.

Step 10: run passenger side harness up through the dash and into the radio cavity. Then run it down the other side into the passenger under dash.

Step 11: you will need to punch out the plastic fill pieces that are on the under dash panels, one each side. You may need to use a knife.

Step 12: press the new housings into the hole on the panels and connect the wires.

Step 12a: if you are only doing front lights, this is when you reinstall all panels, radio, radio trim, and move on to coding (step 21).

Step 12b: if you are doing rear lights, you will need to leave the front panels removed, but you can reinstall radio and radio trim.

Step 13: remove driver seat (or remove all four bolts and tip it back out of the way)

Step 14: remove driver interior rocker trim (to expose wiring channel)

Untitled by santorum, on Flickr

Step 16: remove passenger seat (or remove all four bolts and tip it back out of the way)

Step 17: remove passenger interior rocker trim (to expose wiring channel)

Step 18: run the wires for each side down the channels along the other wires. You will see other wires that go to the seats (power controls and heat). Run them along them and secure with a small zip tie or tape.

Step 19: the back of each seat has a rectangle hole for a light housing in the center of the frame. Simply run the wires to these holes, connect the housings to the wires, and then press them into the fame opening. It may take a little force to do so.

Step 20: reinstall interior rocker trim, under dash panels, seats, and any other items you may have removed and clean up.

Step 21: time for coding. Probably the simplest coding to do. You will go in to 09 - Central Electronics and there are two bits that pertain to footwell lights. They both need to be checked (turned on). I will get the exact coding tomorrow.

Step 22: recycle the key and then go into your MFA. Select the Lighting menu and turn on the footwell lights. From here, you can adjust the dimming as well.

Step 23: enjoy your lights.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 passat tdi sel premium
      01-26-2014 01:48 AM #2
      So, to wire in just the rears, what must be done, as our SEL premium has front but not rears...
      are they just hooked up to the front lights, or how is it done?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2007 Touareg VR6
      01-26-2014 02:20 AM #3
      That's what I did. Just wire the LED to the front ones one each side. But that still required lifted the seat and running the wires through the flex tube into the wire bundle under the side trim and to the front lights to splice into the front footwell lights. I used Red spot LEDs similar to the ones I used for the trunk lighting. I saw this: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-footwell...409,id646.html which makes it truly plug and play. The housings just snap into the big rectangular hole on the bottom of the front seats. The wiring harness comes with a male/female plug pair with a male extension for the rear. I guess if you can't solder and tape, then this makes it easier.

They look like this (before mounting the rear AC grill):
      Last edited by vw norm; 01-26-2014 at 02:28 AM.
      2012 SEL TDI DSG - Platinum Gray with Moonrock
      2007 Touareg V6 - Offroad Gray w/ Anthracite

Vehicles
      2017 Volkswagen Alltrack
      01-26-2014 08:53 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mattfrayage View Post
      So, to wire in just the rears, what must be done, as our SEL premium has front but not rears...
      are they just hooked up to the front lights, or how is it done?
      Yes. The kit I got has the rears already piggy-backed off of the front. The kit that Norm posted is perfect for those who have fronts and do not want to cut:

But like he said, adding rears still requires the seats to be removed (start at step 13).

Quote Originally Posted by vw norm View Post
      X
      Not sure why you had the rear vents apart, unless you just went ham and took it all apart. Haha.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2007 Touareg VR6
      01-26-2014 01:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VR_Kraut View Post

Not sure why you had the rear vents apart, unless you just went ham and took it all apart. Haha.
      Because the 12's did not come with rear vents, so I put my own. Thread link:" https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...013-Rear-ventsI was waiting on the rear piece to arrive, thus my air tubes were simply there, and the final pics did not show off the rear footwells as good. It is now like this:

Last edited by vw norm; 01-26-2014 at 01:27 PM.
      2012 SEL TDI DSG - Platinum Gray with Moonrock
      2007 Touareg V6 - Offroad Gray w/ Anthracite

Vehicles
      2017 Volkswagen Alltrack
      01-26-2014 05:26 PM #6
      Ah fair enough. I need to do that as well for my kids.

Vehicles
      2014 VW Passat SE 1.8T
      01-26-2014 08:01 PM #7
      Thanks a lot for posting this. Helps quite a bit. Will be tackling this very soon.

Vehicles
      2013 TDI SEL, 2013 Touareg Lux, 2013 TDI Passat, 2016 V6 SEL
      01-26-2014 10:03 PM #8
      Don't know if I will get this mod done, but a HUGE thank you for taking the time to post this!!!

Vehicles
      2017 VW
      01-27-2014 06:12 AM #9
      Nice job!

Got a set of these waiting to go in my Tig, once it warms up.

One question though....what does turning them "ON" in the MFA enable?
      Does that turn them on when you're driving?
      or
      Does it turn them on when you open a door?
      2017 Tiguan

Vehicles
      2017 Volkswagen Alltrack
      01-27-2014 12:21 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tnourseMN427 View Post
      Thanks a lot for posting this. Helps quite a bit. Will be tackling this very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ORDNorth View Post
      Don't know if I will get this mod done, but a HUGE thank you for taking the time to post this!!!
      Thanks! Glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      Nice job!

Got a set of these waiting to go in my Tig, once it warms up.

One question though....what does turning them "ON" in the MFA enable?
      Does that turn them on when you're driving?
      or
      Does it turn them on when you open a door?
      Turning them "On" is for the ambient lighting at night. If you have them "Off", they will still come on with the doors open, unless you have the dome switch to "Off".

Vehicles
      12 Passat, 11 C63, 09 S2000
      01-27-2014 12:48 PM #11
      Thanks for the write up! Wanted to do this sooner or later.

01-27-2014 02:46 PM #12
      I also used the SBLED Lill Dot LEDs when I retro'd these to our car.... no sense buying the $$ OE fixtures to stick an LED behind them.

-J
      2012 Passat TDI SE DSG. 99,000 miles. LED tails, VCDS tweaks (wipers, alarm, cluster)
      2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 150,000 miles.
      1999 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 309,000 miles. RCIII, BV49, S520, Knois.
      1991 Mercedes 350SDL. 230,000 miles, 60k on the replacement motor
      Past: 91 Jetta ECOdiesel. Totaled. 92 Jetta ECOdiesel. 87 Audi 5000S Q. 85 Jetta 1.8.

Vehicles
      2015/VW/Passat Limited 1.8TSi APR Stage 1-93 Octane
      01-27-2014 08:21 PM #13
      I have gotten a lot of responses and inquiries regarding my footwell lighting install so I thought I would make a more elaborate thread regarding the process. As usual, you do things at your own risk. I am not responsible for any mistake you may make.

Tools:
      • trim removal tool [for radio trim and interior rocker trim]
      • T20 torx with driver [for radio and under dash panels]
      • 10mm triple square socket bit (with driver and extension) [for seats]

Process:

Step 1: remove the driver side under dash panel

Step 2: remove the passenger side under dash panel

Step 3: remove trim around radio

Step 4: remove radio

Step 5: locate the BCM under the driver side dash. You will need to find three plugs. These are called A, B, and C. Obviously B is the middle plug and the one we will be dealing with for this.

Step 6: remove plug B. Once removed, you will need to slide the pin housing out of the sheath. There is a small tab that keeps it in.

Step 7: locate pin 50. This is where you need to insert the positive lead for the footwell lights.

Step 8: reassemble the pin housing, sheath, and plug.

Step 9: find a place to ground the harness. I removed the top screw on the fuse panel and placed the ground lead between the fuse panel and the metal dash frame.

Step 10: run passenger side harness up through the dash and into the radio cavity. Then run it down the other side into the passenger under dash.

Step 11: you will need to punch out the plastic fill pieces that are on the under dash panels, one each side. You may need to use a knife.

Step 12: press the new housings into the hole on the panels and connect the wires.

Step 12a: if you are only doing front lights, this is when you reinstall all panels, radio, radio trim, and move on to coding (step 21).

Step 12b: if you are doing rear lights, you will need to leave the front panels removed, but you can reinstall radio and radio trim.

Step 13: remove driver seat (or remove all four bolts and tip it back out of the way)

Step 14: remove driver interior rocker trim (to expose wiring channel)

Step 16: remove passenger seat (or remove all four bolts and tip it back out of the way)

Step 17: remove passenger interior rocker trim (to expose wiring channel)

Step 18: run the wires for each side down the channels along the other wires. You will see other wires that go to the seats (power controls and heat). Run them along them and secure with a small zip tie or tape.

Step 19: the back of each seat has a rectangle hole for a light housing in the center of the frame. Simply run the wires to these holes, connect the housings to the wires, and then press them into the fame opening. It may take a little force to do so.

Step 20: reinstall interior rocker trim, under dash panels, seats, and any other items you may have removed and clean up.

Step 21: time for coding. Probably the simplest coding to do. You will go in to 09 - Central Electronics and there are two bits that pertain to footwell lights. They both need to be checked (turned on). I will get the exact coding tomorrow.

Step 22: recycle the key and then go into your MFA. Select the Lighting menu and turn on the footwell lights. From here, you can adjust the dimming as well.

Step 23: enjoy your lights.

I am am new to VW. If I put the pin connector into the BCM and ground the other wire by the fuses, what do I run to the passenger side behing the radio?
      I assume I splice the positive pin wire? Sorry for this dumb question

Vehicles
      2017 VW
      01-28-2014 06:09 AM #14
      Turning them "On" is for the ambient lighting at night. If you have them "Off", they will still come on with the doors open, unless you have the dome switch to "Off".
      Got it, thanks!
      2017 Tiguan

Vehicles
      2017 VW
      01-28-2014 06:12 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by miamipassat View Post
      I am am new to VW. If I put the pin connector into the BCM and ground the other wire by the fuses, what do I run to the passenger side behing the radio?
      One end of the harness has the pin & the ground.....then the rest of the wiring has two connectors with harnesses attached (that plug into the lights), one connector for the driver's side light & one for the passenger's side light. It's all on ONE long harness.

So you're just routing the wiring from the BCM to the driver's side light to the passenger side light, to make the connections.

Make sense?
      2017 Tiguan

Vehicles
      01-28-2014 10:52 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      One end of the harness has the pin & the ground.....then the rest of the wiring has two connectors with harnesses attached (that plug into the lights), one connector for the driver's side light & one for the passenger's side light. It's all on ONE long harness.

So you're just routing the wiring from the BCM to the driver's side light to the passenger side light, to make the connections.

Make sense?
      Got it!!! I did not know what the harness looks like. I should be getting the parts later this week...Thanks!!

Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL Premium
      03-18-2014 11:23 PM #17
      I bought the rear footwell lights a couple months ago and I finally got around to installing them and am happy with the results.

These pics are long exposure shots ... thus the red LEDs aren't really this bright in person.

Just the overhead white LEDs ...

Front overhead white LEDs with the red footwells turned on ...

Rear overhead white LEDs with the red footwells turned on ...

Just the red footwell LEDs ... currently on when parking lights are active (didn't have this on the MKV GLI) ...

All four locations ...

Vehicles
      03-19-2014 10:08 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by b0bbybisc0 View Post
      I bought the rear footwell lights a couple months ago and I finally got around to installing them and am happy with the results.

These pics are long exposure shots ... thus the red LEDs aren't really this bright in person.

Just the overhead white LEDs ...

Front overhead white LEDs with the red footwells turned on ...

Rear overhead white LEDs with the red footwells turned on ...

Just the red footwell LEDs ... currently on when parking lights are active (didn't have this on the MKV GLI) ...

All four locations ...
      Looks good. I only did the front but I should have done the rear also. My wife call them "pimp lights"..

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE 2.5, 2013 Beetle 'Vert 2.5 w/ Tech
      03-19-2014 10:56 AM #19
      Thanks christofambrosch! Nice write up! What light kit did you fit to the front? Do you have a link to it?
      Last edited by OldBlue62; 03-19-2014 at 11:08 AM.
      Doug
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Current - 2013 Passat SE, 2013 Beetle 'Vert, 1970 MGB
      Gone - 2005 New Beetle GL 'Vert, 2011 Golf TDI DSG, 2005 Jetta, 2003 New Beetle, 2002 New Beetle, too many air-cooled to count...

Vehicles
      2017 Volkswagen Alltrack
      03-19-2014 11:23 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue62 View Post
      Thanks christofambrosch! Nice write up! What light kit did you fit to the front? Do you have a link to it?
      Thanks Doug. I ordered the wiring and housings from Bold-Sport and all my bulbs are from PerformanceLEDs. They also have the wiring and housings but I had a few other things I needed from Bold-Sport so I threw them in.

I may be replacing the housings with OEM MkV housings to eliminate the blue spotting since I don't have the same issue in my wife's R32 (same bulbs).

Vehicles
      2017 VW
      03-21-2014 06:28 AM #21
      Here's the VCDS coding

Central Electronics ---> Long Coding Helper
      CHECK the following boxes:

2017 Tiguan

Vehicles
      2017 Volkswagen Alltrack
      03-27-2014 12:17 AM #22
      Thanks for those screen shots!

Ok, so I finally have photo proof of what I have been saying this entire time. The blue spotting is because of the housings, NOT THE LED BULB. Volkswagen is well known for superseding their parts and part numbers when they switch manufacturers (regardless of why they switch). It seems as though the housings used for the footwell bulbs and glovebox, have been updated...and here is the proof.

On the left of all four photos is the old version, 6L0-947-415, and on the right of all four photos is the new version, 5ND-947-415. You can clearly see that the pattern of the two are different. The same bulb is used in both housings and I will let the photos speak for themselves:

So, I will go back to what was originally stated, the blue spotting is not due to the LED bulb in the housing. It is because of the housing itself. I do not know exactly when this revision happened, but I will be ordering the rest of the old style for my Passat.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
      10-13-2014 07:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by christofambrosch View Post
      Can't find this on their site, anyone know where else to get this??

EDIT: I didn't look heard enough, found it on there now
      Last edited by kyle_h; 10-13-2014 at 07:48 PM.
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition

2001 Jetta TDI (retired @ 478,000km)

Vehicles
      B7 Passat (i'll call it what i want); '67 beetle
      12-30-2014 06:21 AM #24
      this is really cool. i have SEL TDI with fronts already installed. going to look and see if i have cut out in rears and grab these. good write up.

christofambrosch which kit did you get?
      Last edited by JsmokeVR6; 12-30-2014 at 06:27 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post
      Your car is powder blue, and calling something "jazz" anything doesn't make it less gay.

Vehicles
      2014 Passat TDI SE-NAV
      01-23-2015 06:26 PM #25
      Just received my kit from BoldSport - here's what's included. It was 10 days delivery regular shipping from HK to Seattle, WA

[IMG]VW Boldsport Footwell Lighting by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]VW Boldsport Footwell Lighting by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast